Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does an ATI 5870 1GB with Age of Conan get you? Testing Inside

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Courtesy of Openedge, he ran some recent stats on his new card for anyone wondering on how it fairs up in game:

simple-n-complex.blogspot.com/2009/09/age-of-conan-ati-5870-by-numbers.html

Simply put the 5870 with AoC can give quality without performance sacrifice.

Seems like he will update with some other systems soon too.

Comments

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

Somewhat related to the topic:

Yesterday browsing in the conanvault.com site I found a post explaining what each of the graphic options in AoC do and what impact do they have framerate wise. I have a 2 years old laptop and was running the game with several of the options set to off and low. After reading the post I changed a lot of the options, this time allowing more detail in the distance and placing some of the settings on high, while taking out bloom, shadows and other effects with a large frame rate impact. Wow, the game is soooo changed. It is amazing how good it looks now, and I thought it looked nice before.

I just had to share this with you guys.

PS: found the link: http://conanvault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Age_of_Conan_Video_Optimization_Guide

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• u18bu2sa0ku18bu2sa0k Member Posts: 144

haha.he still should have got at least the double of that fps :)

1 thing:dont play AoC with ATi Card,theres a huge chance it will run like crap.

its just not optimized for it.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by u18bu2sa0k

I've heard many say that, and I can't say my 4870 feels like it's giving me my moneys worth in AoC. So some time after new years I'll be buildig myself a new 'puter with the next-gen Nvidia, ssd-disk and probably a core i9 cpu. I so much want to play this game maxed out and not worry about fps.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Barteaux

I've heard many say that, and I can't say my 4870 feels like it's giving me my moneys worth in AoC. So some time after new years I'll be buildig myself a new 'puter with the next-gen Nvidia, ssd-disk and probably a i520 cpu. I so much want to play this game maxed out and not worry about fps.

I replaced my 4870 1GB card with a GTX260 one when the ati board died on me and the difference in FPS and quality I can run in AoC is quite huge. ATI is not really optimized at all I would say after seeing the stuff I can turn on with the GTX260 board.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• jaysinsjaysins Member UncommonPosts: 107

For AOC Ati is definitely the way to go. 

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3498&p=2

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by Crashloop

I've heard many say that, and I can't say my 4870 feels like it's giving me my moneys worth in AoC. So some time after new years I'll be buildig myself a new 'puter with the next-gen Nvidia, ssd-disk and probably a i520 cpu. I so much want to play this game maxed out and not worry about fps.

I replaced my 4870 1GB card with a GTX260 one when the ati board died on me and the difference in FPS and quality I can run in AoC is quite huge. ATI is not really optimized at all I would say after seeing the stuff I can turn on with the GTX260 board.

That 260 isn't as fast as a 4870 and it's a fact that ATi cards are the best for Conan. :)  Of course, there is anecdotal evidence to the contrary from people like you.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by cyrana

Originally posted by Crashloop

That 260 isn't as fast as a 4870 and it's a fact that ATi cards are the best for Conan. :)  Of course, there is anecdotal evidence to the contrary from people like you.

From people like me? So what type of people are my kind? :)

I replaced the card with nvidia since it was slightly faster on all tests I found, and you know the funny things? I can use higher AA, longer view distance, better shadows in AoC with the nvidia card then I could with the ATI card. That is what I base my experience on, I tried the different Drivers for ATI and all were the same, the game looked beautiful, but the nvidia card still outperforms the old ATI card by miles. 

The new 260 cards are as fast as the 4870 cards slightly faster in the resolution of 1680x1050 on many of the tests I saw on it. But lets not get into a ATI vs Nvidia war here because ATI makes good boards, their problem is the drivers aren't always the best. ;)

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

Originally posted by jaysins

Look at what resolution he plays. newer ATi cards are famous by low performance drop on high resolutions.

i can see when he stresses out the card so it uses 100% GPU power.

but on my 17'' inch monitor it barely uses 30-50% of the GPU and the fps equally drops.

ill just gonna repeat myself:

if you use an ATi card for AoC,there is a good chance that you will be disappointed in the performance.

especially in huge PvP battles that AoC can handle,like 5v5.

• jaysinsjaysins Member UncommonPosts: 107

Look at what resolution he plays. newer ATi cards are famous by low performance drop on high resolutions.

i can see when he stresses out the card so it uses 100% GPU power.

but on my 17'' inch monitor it barely uses 30-50% of the GPU and the fps equally drops.

ill just gonna repeat myself:

if you use an ATi card for AoC,there is a good chance that you will be disappointed in the performance.

especially in huge PvP battles that AoC can handle,like 5v5.

What are you talking about? He tests it in three resolutions 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200 and 2560 x 1600 and the ati cards have the advantage in all of them. If you're gaming at less than 1650 x 1050 chances are you are not going to need a top tier card. Aoc is a game in which ati has an advantage. Different games favor different architectures. I wish I had a Nvidea card if I'm playing crisis but this is certainly not the case with AOC. Your argument is a non sequitur. A gpu will run a game as fast as it can which is why in many reviews you see well over 100 fps. I get over 120 in Left 4 Dead for example. The gpu won't throttle itself down if the game is not a resource hog and unless it is bottlenecked somewhere else will be running as hard as it can during games.

What are you talking about? He tests it in three resolutions 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200 and 2560 x 1600 and the ati cards have the advantage in all of them. If you're gaming at less than 1650 x 1050 chances are you are not going to need a top tier card. Aoc is a game in which ati has an advantage. Different games favor different architectures. I wish I had a Nvidea card if I'm playing crisis but this is certainly not the case with AOC. Your argument is a non sequitur. A gpu will run a game as fast as it can which is why in many reviews you see well over 100 fps. I get over 120 in Left 4 Dead for example. The gpu won't throttle itself down if the game is not a resource hog and unless it is bottlenecked somewhere else will be running as hard as it can during games.

EDIT:im not feeling like resurrecting this thread so i will just edit in this post instead.

After running some recent home tests on AoC with ATi cards looks like they optimized it to acceptable levels.

in fact they are even better performing then some nvidia counterparts.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

The author of the blog Openedge1 has update with midrange performance results: simple-n-complex.blogspot.com/2009/09/age-of-conan-middle-class-performance.html

"This time around we are playing with the middle class system. An e8400 (OC'd to 3.2Ghz), an Nvidia GTX 260 (not OC'd), 4 gigs DDR3 1333FSB and good ole onboard sound. As we have seen about 600-700 bucks will net you this beauty"