Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Garrett Fuller: The Rise of the Indy MMO

In this week's edition of Garrett Fuller's Wednesday column, he takes a look at what he calls "The Rise of the Indy MMO" and four games that exemplify it: Wizard 101, Fallen Earth, Global Agenda and Alganon.

Garrett Fuller

The first game is Wizard 101. The game has become a huge success for KingsIsle Entertainment. It did not have the corporate power of Nickelodeon, Disney, or Cartoon Network behind it; these guys were on their own. What they have done is created a kids game that also appeals to hardcore adult players as well. The game is fun first and the business model followed second. Wizard 101 is a true example of success in the kids MMO market. Not only do they offer micro transaction options, but they have a subscription plan, and a family subscription plan. The game has upwards of five million registered users, but those are just numbers. The real test is to log into the game and check out the zones. There are players everywhere especially in the opening areas of the school. Wizard 101 is a great example of what an independent game can become without rules and restrictions. Pointy hats off to the guys at KingsIsle, they created a great game.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

"The game (Alganon) is still in early beta, but is looking to start adding more players soon."

FYI Alganon is due for release on Oct 31st ... So its not really accurate to say its in "early beta"

http://www.alganon.com/

<Edit> Oh and they just added 900 more Beta testers .. So I have more folks to play with now !!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I certainly don't understand why this site loves alganon, how exactly is alganon innovative? the study system is nothing more than a press start and wait till its done thing which seriously people wont even care much about. There is a real lack of content in game, it's interface and graphics are completely ripped off of wow, so when exactly does the innovation kick in? I don't wanna sound like a wow fanboy or anything but ye. Also i appreciate indie devs making games and alganon has some great devs which listen to the community but there game just isn't as great as you guys make it seem.

Edit: Yeh going from the forums it seem like alot of people are unhappy with the release date but the devs said alot of changes are gonna happen, just gotta wait and see i guess?

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

I also don't understand the hype around Alganon. The game doesn't look all that innovative to me.  Just my opinion. The other three games mentioned seem pretty solid, but I've not played any of them.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

What about the ultimate indy MMO, Infinity: The Quest for Earth? www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/241/Infinity-The-Quest-for-Earth.html

I've seen this game on the top ten hype meter games (currently it is number 5!) here despite the fact it's essentially being made by one guy!

• KarahaKaraha Member Posts: 29

I played FE in beta and it's a good game. As I don't play it know I can't say if they could get rip off the bugs.

GA is also a good game and I'm watching it since a year or so. Hope it will be a good game when it is released.

The other 2 I heared but I have no clue about them.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

How could you leave Mortal Online out?

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

You are missing Earthrise too, one of the most promising upcoming indie MMOs.

• jmccarthy14jmccarthy14 Member Posts: 42

Also.  Wurm Online is the best game out for people who like crafting, and a great game for anyone who likes a sandbox (almost takes the term literally).  If you can get over the EQ graphics and terrible pc animation (rarely see em anyway), then its cheap (or free) fun.

EDIT: So long as we are listing quality Indy games anyway...

Playing: DO Trial, EVE 1 Day Buy a PLEX promo.
    Played: UO, EQ, AC, GW, WoW, CoX, EQ2, AoC, WURM Online, Ryzom, Eve Online, FE Trial
    Genres: 4x strategy, Sim Racing, American/Euro RPG, Fighters

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570

um excuse me Wizard 101?

What about the Realm (Codemasters/Norseman Games)

i think that beats wizards for a few YEARS

Mortal online and earthrise both games that are going to being a brand new experience for gamers have been ignored but alganon, your most generic rpg has made the list. This further states my point of the site loving alganon for whatever reason.

• daemonbarberdaemonbarber Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by nekollx

um excuse me Wizard 101?

What about the Realm (Codemasters/Norseman Games)

i think that beats wizards for a few YEARS

When 'The Realm' was first released, it wasn't an Indy game - it was made by Sierra.

• visordvisord Member Posts: 3

And what about AfterWorld?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I certainly don't understand why this site loves alganon, how exactly is alganon innovative? the study system is nothing more than a press start and wait till its done thing which seriously people wont even care much about. There is a real lack of content in game, it's interface and graphics are completely ripped off of wow, so when exactly does the innovation kick in? I don't wanna sound like a wow fanboy or anything but ye. Also i appreciate indie devs making games and alganon has some great devs which listen to the community but there game just isn't as great as you guys make it seem.
    Edit: Yeh going from the forums it seem like alot of people are unhappy with the release date but the devs said alot of changes are gonna happen, just gotta wait and see i guess?

When we hear "indy," we hope for innovation, but is it really stated as such?  Seems like indy mostly just means weaker versions of AAA games.  They hope to grab players with little variations of theme, but the gameplay is still pretty much the same old wack-a-mole level/skill grind nonsense.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Viper17Viper17 Member Posts: 22

Z-Day!!

The zombie Survival MMOFPS!  www.zdaygame.com

its about as indie as you can possibly get.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

I think we know who payed mmoprpg.com to advertise their game :)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Tolroc

I also don't understand the hype around Alganon. The game doesn't look all that innovative to me.  Just my opinion. The other three games mentioned seem pretty solid, but I've not played any of them.

At least some of the hype is from many of us who have followed Dave Allen's activities for years now.  The *original* design for Horizons(now Istaria) was absolutely brilliant.  But that all went down the tubes when David Bowman backstabbed Dave Allen, and the rest as they say is history.  I'm very happy that he made it back into games after such a nasty situation.  Those who go on(and on and on and on...) about it being a "rip off" of WoW, have little concept of the ideas and play dynamics that WoW has "ripped off"  from other games of the past.  Everyone does it to a greater or lesser extent.  Its how one crafts the various components that determines if its fun or not.

Those who worship at the shrine of the great God "innovation" should know that its a very fickle deity, and as prone to kicking one in the ass, as it is in rewarding one for ones devotion.

I'll take play dynamics that are *fun* over innovation any day.  Why re invent the wheel when its unnecessary? Given Dave Allen's background, and demonstrated talent at game design, I'm more than willing to give his latest project Alganon an honest try.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • buckizardbuckizard Member Posts: 6

Love the indy developers, especially in an economy like todays where its so hard to make a good game without the large financial backing.  Playing Fallen Earth at the moment and it has far surpassed my expectations and the constant love and attention it gets makes the game improvements awesome.  Seems every week new stuff gets implemented and fixed to make the game really shine.

Originally posted by Cristina1

I think we know who payed mmoprpg.com to advertise their game :)

We do? Care to provide the rest of us with some *evidence*? Other wise its simply unwarranted speculation on your part.  You wouldn't be attempting to start a whisper campaign would you?(see, others can do the same thing)

Originally posted by Wraithone

At least some of the hype is from many of us who have followed Dave Allen's activities for years now.  The *original* design for Horizons(now Istaria) was absolutely brilliant.  But that all went down the tubes when David Bowman backstabbed Dave Allen, and the rest as they say is history.  I'm very happy that he made it back into games after such a nasty situation.  Those who go on(and on and on and on...) about it being a "rip off" of WoW, have little concept of the ideas and play dynamics that WoW has "ripped off"  from other games of the past.  Everyone does it to a greater or lesser extent.  Its how one crafts the various components that determines if its fun or not.

Those who worship at the shrine of the great God "innovation" should know that its a very fickle deity, and as prone to kicking one in the ass, as it is in rewarding one for ones devotion.

I'll take play dynamics that are *fun* over innovation any day.  Why re invent the wheel when its unnecessary? Given Dave Allen's background, and demonstrated talent at game design, I'm more than willing to give his latest project Alganon an honest try.

So what your saying is, its just another generic game with no innovation and your regular "borrowing" of content games which seem to be released like every week in korea, just this one we have to pay for? Like ive said i respect the devs and am well aware of dave allen, who by the way was a man with a good imagination not the one who "borrowed" from other games but the game does nothing to be on that list.

So what your saying is, its just another generic game with no innovation and your regular "borrowing" of content games which seem to be released like every week in korea, just this one we have to pay for? Like ive said i respect the devs and am well aware of dave allen, who by the way was a man with a good imagination not the one who "borrowed" from other games but the game does nothing to be on that list.

The subject was "The rise of the indy MMO".  Thus Alganon fits on the list. Its not backed by any major publisher.  Having played way, WAY too many Korean games, I have to disagree with you. All too many of them are re skinned, slight rule changes of the same hand full of engines.  Not to mention the Korean fixation on PvP(its easier/cheaper if your players provide much of the games content).  Alganon looks like its going to be fun, in the same sense that WoW was on its release. Even if it only attracts 150-200k players, that will still give Dave Allen a chance to show what he is capable of.

The subject was "The rise of the indy MMO".  Thus Alganon fits on the list. Its not backed by any major publisher.  Having played way, WAY too many Korean games, I have to disagree with you. All too many of them are re skinned, slight rule changes of the same hand full of engines.  Not to mention the Korean fixation on PvP(its easier/cheaper if your players provide much of the games content).  Alganon looks like its going to be fun, in the same sense that WoW was on its release. Even if it only attracts 150-200k players, that will still give Dave Allen a chance to show what he is capable of.

But how exactly is different that the korean games? as you said, there all the same old thing which well goes the same for this game aswell with some little differerence, whats making this game different that aion, wow, evrequest2? It's been already done and done alot better, why waste more time on it?

And by the way i doubt this game would see 150k subs even 50k would be exagerating, it only has like 2k registered members on the forums and its one month away from release.

But how exactly is different that the korean games? as you said, there all the same old thing which well goes the same for this game aswell with some little differerence, whats making this game different that aion, wow, evrequest2? It's been already done and done alot better, why waste more time on it?

And by the way i doubt this game would see 150k subs even 50k would be exagerating, it only has like 2k registered members on the forums and its one month away from release.

Its different because they are not using a re skinned, rule changed engine from another game. I did say thats what is all too common with many Korean games. Its different because they have their own presentation of the story they seek to tell.  How well they tell it, and how enjoyable it will be is yet to be determined(as with all such games).  As for the potential subs, thats a function of marketing, word of mouth and buzz leading in to launch. Its also a function of peoples perception of the game in the months after launch.  It all depends on not only what the game is, but how its players respond to it.  That to a great extent is determined by how the Dev's interact with their players. Look at CCP for a good example of that. Sure, they have made some mistakes, but over all they have managed quite well.  I'm hoping that Dave Allen has learned those lessons.

In my opinion its useless to keep on debating over the topic, obviously we have very different views on the subject. Lets just wait till the game releases and see how it goes.

In my opinion its useless to keep on debating over the topic, obviously we have very different views on the subject. Lets just wait till the game releases and see how it goes.

Sounds like a plan. Lets hope it works out.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Thanks for the article. I didn't know Alganon was an indie. I thought it was another asian clone.