Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now is the time to try Age of Conan if you are interested

2»

Comments

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Arthineas

I think it is time to give it up on this post, AoC will never really be anything because if you want real combat like this proposed you would be playing Darkfall or like me and waiting for Mortal Online. 

This is just another level based game with lovely graphics, button mashing semi (very semi) FPS combat and it adds nothing to the MMO field what so ever. 

Next !!

(hopefully Planetside 2!!!!)

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Saorlan

I think it is time to give it up on this post, AoC will never really be anything because if you want real combat like this proposed you would be playing Darkfall or like me and waiting for Mortal Online. 

Hehe, Ye Darkfall has given us some amazing insight on how great the mmo-industry could have been.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by emptyhand

It's very simple really. Most MMO players just do not like the game.
    Reasons might include:
    • Instances
    • Small zones
    • Not enough grouping
    • Boring itemization
    • Lack of endgame Lack of PvP Bad character balance Performance issues etc.
    Yes, Age of Conan had a horrible launch, but that is not the reason why it has so little subscriptions today. Funcom did have a veteran comeback campaign but majority of players didn't come back because of the reasons I stated earlier.

Most MMOs have all the same problems, don't they? Even Aion, which also has a fraction of the content and depth that AOC has. Aside from the PvP, but I'd be shocked to learn that has much to do with its North American success. Makes me think, maybe it is all about polish, and too many devs get in over their heads, trying to be ambitious, and lacking well outlined goals that are achievable in a financially reasonable time frame.

I think AOC would have more grouping and more PvP, if it were as well populated as Aion. Which has everything to do with popularity at launch.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Nice find they have some other good games at $5 too ! thanks

you make me look at laughing in one hand, crying in the other, drop both and watlk away

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Originally posted by Blackwell99

Originally posted by Larry2298

Does it mean that the monthly price is over charge atm or Funcom planning to reduce the monthly fee as well?

It means AoC is on "the fast track" to F2P.

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

And so is EvE Online? www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

Whatever mate, this is one website with a special deal that is all.

The difference is that it's true about AOC.  I hate Eve, ask any eve fanboy and they can back me up on that.  Still, I can see that it is growing while AOC is losing subs, and it's already at a rate too low to justify much future development.  I expect the game to be exploring alternate payment methods within the year. 

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Does it mean that the monthly price is over charge atm or Funcom planning to reduce the monthly fee as well?

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

The difference is that it's true about AOC.  I hate Eve, ask any eve fanboy and they can back me up on that.  Still, I can see that it is growing while AOC is losing subs, and it's already at a rate too low to justify much future development.  I expect the game to be exploring alternate payment methods within the year. 

That may happen and is beside the point that a singular website is offering a deal for $5 for the game themselves has no relation to the game going F2P the two are unrelated and your point is backed up by other things not deal related. Not saying your wrong just that your impression is different to guy quoted who thinks this because of a deal seperate from FC.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

That may happen and is beside the point that a singular website is offering a deal for $5 for the game themselves has no relation to the game going F2P the two are unrelated and your point is backed up by other things not deal related. Not saying your wrong just that your impression is different to guy quoted who thinks this because of a deal seperate from FC.

I agree.  The special five dollar pricing doesn't mean the game is on it's way to closing down.  I do think, on a related note, that both of the games we are discussing suffer from slow sales.  I think that is why they were chosen for the special pricing over other games that are selling better at full price.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

I agree.  The special five dollar pricing doesn't mean the game is on it's way to closing down.  I do think, on a related note, that both of the games we are discussing suffer from slow sales.  I think that is why they were chosen for the special pricing over other games that are selling better at full price.

Definately agree there too, and I agree that AoC may end up with micro transactions and variations of F2P like AO has too. I just think that right now that it will or is being fast tracked. We have no release date for the expansion and I think the start of things may happen another 6-8 months after then, which could very well be a year from now in conjunction with another content update.

On a side note always liked the look of EvE, never played it, always thinking that even if I start playing that too and drop right off LOTRO in place that the game has been out too long for me to catch up. I feel like I left something behind. Also I did buy it for $5 too, downloaded but not installed yet, so I will give it a go at somepoint. More so that I hear it uses Enlighten tech that AoC will be with the expac release.

They also removed the $5 AoC deal for now but left EvE up still :) So I brought mount and blade now too haha!

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Sabradin

you make me look at laughing in one hand, crying in the other, drop both and watlk away

That doesn't make any sense...

Unless of course you're a wow-player and you meant "wotlk away"

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by emptyhand

Going F2P would be a very good thing for AoC. As a P2P MMO Age of Conan is pretty average or below average but as a F2P MMO it would be up there in top-5, and that would attract a lot of players.
    I don't think cash shop would be as bad as some people think. I personally wouldn't even mind a couple of ingame ads.

I'm sure AoC will go F2p, but not before the expansion arrives, and then they will use the same model as AO most likely. Basic game is free the expansions is paid for. If they don't do this I will be surprised. :)

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom