Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick and tired

Why for the love of god can't a single developer follow the idea Ultima Online had? Every game is a "Theme Park" style MMO crafted after EQ and WOW. Were sick of it. I don't care anymore about having a lvl 120 character with epic everything. Give me adventures, give me random unscripted events that happen due to the player community and not due to instances.

Furthermore, what should I pay a close eye to in upcoming MMO's? I loved UO and SWG.  I was told Fallen Earth and Mortal Online were pretty decent, but i'm not fully convinced.

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Sounds like you want a sandbox MMO. Not sure about MO either.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I hear ya Ram... I too have been waiting for years for a UO/SWG clone. But as long as WoW keeps bringing in the big bucks, every other dev is gonna try and copy what it does to get the big bucks. Altho you would think by now Devs should see the WoW cloning method hasn't really brought anyone close to beating or even being an equal to WoW.

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by talismen351
    I hear ya Ram... I too have been waiting for years for a UO/SWG clone. But as long as WoW keeps bringing in the big bucks, every other dev is gonna try and copy what it does to get the big bucks. Altho you would think by now Devs should see the WoW cloning method hasn't really brought anyone close to beating or even being an equal to WoW.

^^^ This.

But, Fallen Earth is very Pre-NGE SWG-esque, if a bit rough around the edges.

• PharaDarPharaDar Member Posts: 44

Well when i started MMos i bought  UO & EQ - couldnt stand UO found ot very underwhelming and niche..

and thats why basically..you are waiting for a niche game to be profitable enough then they will develop them ..having played MMos in recent times its quite clear the majority of players you meet havent actually read a fantasy book (or possibly any books) and lack the interest many old timers have in the genre to want to be in UO and use their imiagnations..

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

Try EVE Online its pretty awesome, also Fallen Earth is pretty fun, I was in the beta.

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

Mortal Online was just pushed back to an indeterminate date in the future after Funcom laid off a ton of their staff today. So I wouldn't be putting my hopes on that one.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by faefrost

Mortal Online was just pushed back to an indeterminate date in the future after Funcom laid off a ton of their staff today. So I wouldn't be putting my hopes on that one.

Nothing on the main website on this, can i have a link to your source?

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

Ack! you are right, I misread it, it's Secret World that got pushed back by Funcom because of the layoffs.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

There are indie nutballs trying to make a game that you might find fun. What was the most recent one I was watching...

Gah.

Well, Earthrise. I'm watching that one.

Dawntide

Umm...I'm sure there are others.

---

Ryzom is probably the best sandbox game in my personal opinion. But, meh, that is just me.

---

Fallen Earth, regardless of it's feature set, doesn't have the feeling of sandbox to me.

Mortal Online will probably be sex pervert online with the anatomically correct models they are sporting.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

The analogy holds: People are willing to pay $100 for a day at Disneyland, and $0 for a day in a sandbox.

That is why you see fewer sandbox games; they tend to be less entertaining (and thus less profitable.)

I'm not totally down on sandbox games (I'm still playing Haven & Hearth after 2 weeks) but I'm also not a huge fan of em either (definitely not willing to pay 14/mo for ATITD, which is a better version of H&H.)  In the end I typically want a game with a lot of structure to it, and a lot of meaty content to discover.  Sandbox games too frequently use their sandbox classification to merely provide a framework, without providing a game.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I never played UO before.  What's so difference between UO and other sandbox game?

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I've been saying this for a long time.  However, I think there is little hope for a main stream sandbox MMO.  Mortal Online has the features yes, but it is not even close to being a main stream game.  Hopefully it opens some doors for other developers and big investors though.  Richard Garriot has made notions that he is still very interested in the MMO market even after the massive failure of TR.  Perhaps a UO 2 has a tiny glimmer of hope now. 

Like I said, I am with you on this but I don't have much faith or hope for sandbox style gaming anymore.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

99% of the DEVS are to scared to take risks.

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Precusor

I would be scared to, if i was trying to make a game, to please the people, on mmorpg.com =/

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

well, it's really the investor taking the risk.

It's easy players to complain.  Since their not the one risking hundred of million on creating a single game.

If an mmorpg fails, players just go to the next game, but the company goes bankrupt.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by ramok661

Why for the love of god can't a single developer follow the idea Ultima Online had? Every game is a "Theme Park" style MMO crafted after EQ and WOW. Were sick of it. I don't care anymore about having a lvl 120 character with epic everything. Give me adventures, give me random unscripted events that happen due to the player community and not due to instances.

Furthermore, what should I pay a close eye to in upcoming MMO's? I loved UO and SWG.  I was told Fallen Earth and Mortal Online were pretty decent, but i'm not fully convinced.

You seem to think that its wise or good or right or being cool to build somthing along the line of UO.  Maybe you are talking out of your head because it is not your 10million bucks.

As you have stated, not many major producers are planning to make something along that line.  Maybe they are taking the decision seriously because it it their 10million bucks.

Stop making decisions for others.  If you think UO is that cool, play it, or make a sequel yourself.  I actually think that it is very cool to have everyone donate me a buck a month.  Or every restaurant provide the dishes I love at very decent prices, and every theatre or TV channel only air the stuffs I like to see.  Actually I wish the rain to stop 3 hours before I plan to leave home.  What else do I want?  Lots oh lots.

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I'm curious what you think is the line for a sandbox game. What makes a game a sandbox game versus others. In my opinion, it is so hard to make player actions matter. You would need constant updates and developers frankly aren't looking to dish out that much content on a daily basis nor do they have the manpower. I'm always left thinking, what can be done to give the players complete control. I think EVE does a solid job, but what more do you want?

I ask because I hear these questions all the time.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Have you tried Fallen Earth?

No classes, pure skill based system, gigantic open world, best crafting system made since Pre-NGE SWG, 6 sided faction pvp, taking and holding towns from other factions.

And everything takes time, lots of time. Took me 6 hours to make my first rifle....

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by afoaa

No classes, pure skill based system, gigantic open world, best crafting system made since Pre-NGE SWG, 6 sided faction pvp, taking and holding towns from other factions.
    And everything takes time, lots of time. Took me 6 hours to make my first rifle....

This game keeps seeming better and better to me. Dec. can't be much longer :[

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by laokoko

well, it's really the investor taking the risk.

It's easy players to complain.  Since their not the one risking hundred of million on creating a single game.

If an mmorpg fails, players just go to the next game, but the company goes bankrupt.

You see, this is closer to the truth.

If devs can't feed their family or invest in retirement accounts or take advantage of the same benefits that we all have then game development really isn't a proper career choice.

I highly doubt many of us would take jobs where there was a good chance in the company failing and we would be out pounding the pavement again.

Not to mention the investors who expect a return.

If I invest in something I either A, believe in the project and don't care about a return or B, want a return because it is a proper investement.

I don't do A very often because I work hard for my money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SecurionSecurion Member Posts: 206

Easy...

Earthrise

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

I got my hopes on Mortal Online.  It is still slated for a Q4 release, so I 'd expect December.  The dev's loved UO and are trying to capture it's essence.  If you haven't read up on it, do so.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why not try Eve online? It have the features you want.

CCP is working on a gothic horror game right now also.

Eve is the only succesful sandbox game right now, there are a few smaller ones around also like Ryzom and Darkfall but Eve is the king.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by xanphia

Originally posted by afoaa

This game keeps seeming better and better to me. Dec. can't be much longer :[

?? Its out now, why wait until december?

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."