Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why women have sex. A university study really doesn't explain anything.

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

OK read this article.    Why women have sex.   <<<  clicky

Women, just like men, have sex for almost the same reasons and this study really did nothing to determine anything other than this university knows how to waste money on something so stupid.  LOL!

Why did they waste so much time and effort on a study that could have easily been done just by using common sense.    Surely there were females that were part of doing this study.   If anyone knows why we females have sex, it would be a female...wouldn't it be common knowledge that women have sex for various reasons and sometimes, just like men, we just wish to do it.

Sorry, but studies like this make me wonder about how on earth we as a species are still around.

Comments

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Psychologists need to make a living wasting other peoples' money.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

Still to have a serious study you can't just assume that so and so is the case, you have to actually research it by asking females why they actually have sex.

I didn't read the study though, cause I doubt the results are very different from what I expect.

But even if you're female you might be surprised at what studies of females in general conclude with.

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

Part of the reason I did not choose to continue my (academic) career in psychology. While psychology as a science definitely has some use, perhaps even more than most other fields, some academics try their damn hardest to write the most ridiculous of articles and thesis' and give the field a bad name, knowing full well psychology is a high-profile field in popular media. 

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379
    Originally posted by Teala

OK read this article.    Why women have sex.   <<<  clicky
    Women, just like men, have sex for almost the same reasons and this study really did nothing to determine anything other than this university knows how to waste money on something so stupid.  LOL!
    Why did they waste so much time and effort on a study that could have easily been done just by using common sense.    Surely there were females that were part of doing this study.   If anyone knows why we females have sex, it would be a female...wouldn't it be common knowledge that women have sex for various reasons and sometimes, just like men, we just wish to do it.
    Sorry, but studies like this make me wonder about how on earth we as a species are still around.

I think this is why they did the study, to find out what those various reasons are.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Why do women have sex? Because we like it .. they needed a study for this?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by deviliscious

That's what I am saying.   There is no secret.   LOL!   It's like asking why guys like sex?   Some like it for different reasons, and not all the reasons apply at any one time, but I think for most it is because they "like it".     Same for women.   I am not a sex addict, but when I am in the mood, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it while doing it.    If we didn't like sex - there'd be no human race. 

That's what I am saying.   There is no secret.   LOL!   It's like asking why guys like sex?   Some like it for different reasons, and not all the reasons apply at any one time, but I think for most it is because they "like it".     Same for women.   I am not a sex addict, but when I am in the mood, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it while doing it.    If we didn't like sex - there'd be no human race. 

I'm not female, but I'm pretty sure women use sex for more than pleasure...... edit: or should I say sexual pleasure

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Inzra

I'm not female, but I'm pretty sure women use sex for more than pleasure...... edit: or should I say sexual pleasure

Sure we do...just like guys do.   We're really not all that different.   Guys may do it to say, 'look at me I'm such a stud.'   Some girls do it for similar reasons, like, 'look at this guy I am doing!'   But I do not believe anyone does it because they hate it...do you?

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

If we didn't like sex - there'd be no human race. 

I guess I should point out that cats have been reproducing for a very long time... and somehow the idea of a barbed penis doesn't strike me as very pleasurable (in other words... nature finds a way, as twisted as it might be).

As for humans, yeah I'd have to say that the reasons women have sex are the same as why men have sex. Okay, where's my degree?

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Well in science it is better to actually do studies to answer questions rather than assume the answer.  Even for seemingly unimportant things.  This was an instance where common sense was supported by the study but it might not always be that way.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

It's a pointless study, one I don't see how it would help with anything.  But I'm sure part of the reasons they did study this, is because people like to read & talk about sex.  So since Teala did link it here, their job was well done

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by Inzra

Sure we do...just like guys do.   We're really not all that different.   Guys may do it to say, 'look at me I'm such a stud.'   Some girls do it for similar reasons, like, 'look at this guy I am doing!'   But I do not believe anyone does it because they hate it...do you?

No not because they hate it, but to get other things than sexual satisfaction.

Also I recently read about this woman who considered it her duty to give blowjobs to her husband, simply because it was her husband. In her opinion every wife should be on sexual "stand by" for their spouse at all time. Like the price for marriage or something.

I don't think that there are many men that primary have sex for something else than having an orgasm, the bragging part to the buddies is more like a "bonus".

Originally posted by streea

I guess I should point out that cats have been reproducing for a very long time... and somehow the idea of a barbed penis doesn't strike me as very pleasurable (in other words... nature finds a way, as twisted as it might be).
    As for humans, yeah I'd have to say that the reasons women have sex are the same as why men have sex. Okay, where's my degree?

I think you're overqualified for a degree in psychology.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by streea

I think you're overqualified for a degree in psychology.

Hard as it may be to say this, considering I worked rather hard for mine for two years - I pretty much agree. (Although biological/neuropsychology wasn't a walk in the park for me!)

Originally posted by Praetoriani

Hard as it may be to say this, considering I worked rather hard for mine for two years - I pretty much agree. (Although biological/neuropsychology wasn't a walk in the park for me!)

Alright, sorry for being a douche. I know that you're one of the exceptions, but these "studies" just piss me off.

Alright, sorry for being a douche. I know that you're one of the exceptions, but these "studies" just piss me off.

No really, I do agree. While you were being somewhat of a hardass to me about it in the other thread about IQ (where I know enough about and personally still think it has merit, I just didn't want to argue and I know very well opinions differ, even among the community of psychologists), all these nonsense studies piss me off too, which is the reason I went back to year one in a completely different field.

That said, I do believe most scientific disciplines, especially non-exact disciplines, have their fair share of nonsense studies. However, those from the psychology community reach the popular media much more than average, seeing as most people don't really care about, say, 'the slightly altered mating behaviour of the male dung beetle in the first week of july.' And in the case of the dung-beetle research, most people will never be able to say 'I knew that too! Stupid researchers.'

No really, I do agree. While you were being somewhat of a hardass to me about it in the other thread about IQ (where I know enough about and personally still think it has merit, I just didn't want to argue and I know very well opinions differ, even among the community of psychologists), all these nonsense studies piss me off too, which is the reason I went back to year one in a completely different field.

That said, I do believe most scientific disciplines, especially non-exact disciplines, have their fair share of nonsense studies. However, those from the psychology community reach the popular media much more than average, seeing as most people don't really care about, say, 'the slightly altered mating behaviour of the male dung beetle in the first week of july.' And in the case of the dung-beetle research, most people will never be able to say 'I knew that too! Stupid researchers.'

Popularity definitely has something to do with it along with it's lack of mathematical rigor, but you're right: There are plenty of other social sciences out there that deserve as much if not more of an ass beating than psychology... especially it's estranged abortion sociology.

Popularity definitely has something to do with it along with it's lack of mathematical rigor, but you're right: There are plenty of other social sciences out there that deserve as much if not more of an ass beating than psychology... especially it's estranged abortion sociology.

Haha, my personal pet peeve is against pedagogy and communication 'science'.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

I didn't read the article and I'm not going to.

There's plenty of bad science out there.

Hell, I even saw some dipshit on the Jesus channel the other night explaining how the grand canyon was carved a couple thousand years ago by the Noachian floodwaters.

I just wanted to say that sometimes I have sex just because I enjoy the stunned silence after I give my woman 5 or 6 orgasms.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Well if you've ever wondered why guys flock to "sluts" and "skanks" I'll let you in on a secret.  It's not because they're easy.  It's because finding a woman who enjoys sex just as much as we do is a rare gift indeed.

My youtube MMO gaming channel