Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats great about this game?

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

No really, cause I want to know.  Tell me about the game? My buddy bought it for me for my birthday (great guy)  and got himself a copy too.  I wasn't really considering paying for it and I was going to wait for the trial, but he liked it so we're going to go through it together.  Pro's?  Cons?  Give'em to me.

Comments

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

No really, cause I want to know.  Tell me about the game? My buddy bought it for me for my birthday (great guy)  and got himself a copy too.  I wasn't really considering paying for it and I was going to wait for the trial, but he liked it so we're going to go through it together.  Pro's?  Cons?  Give'em to me.

I'm confused, if you've had the game bought for you, why do you need anyone to tell you whats good about the game? surely you've played it and come to your own conclusions?

I know I have and my opinion only really applies to me alone.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Head shots with a pickax while wearing 3D glasses and tight leather pants and rain boots.

The games features are cool too.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Head shots with a pickax while wearing 3D glasses and tight leather pants and rain boots.
    The games features are cool too.

Hey, that's what I wear on the weekends.... 

Its new, it might even be fun, might as well give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by qbangy32

I'm confused, if you've had the game bought for you, why do you need anyone to tell you whats good about the game? surely you've played it and come to your own conclusions?

I know I have and my opinion only really applies to me alone.

I haven't played it yet, he just bought it for me in the last few hours and I'm at work, so I'm trying to get a handle on what the games about (I know what its about but... whats the gameplay like, whats good in it, whats bad, whats fun)  Just taking all various opinions.  Once I get home I'll start the download, so I probably won't even be able to play it today.

I hear its really crafter heavy...  and I like the fallout-ish look and feel in the pictures...    just trying to get some overall opinions.

• dchippiedchippie Member UncommonPosts: 57

Im not going to tell you anything bad about the game as peeple that do like the game seem to want to flame those that dont like the game :(

But if i was you i would play the free 30 days you get with the game and make your own mind up  :)

Oh I will, I'm going to play it.. I just don't really know what to expect.  Whats the combat like? Crafting? Factions?  Is one side overpopulated?  Whats the PvP like?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

It is a fun game and a change from the usual, but I will not be subbing after the free month....im jsut not digging the game setting

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

how is it a change from the usual?   Combat wise or just the overall setting of the game.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Combat is a lot like Oblivion with bugs.  Lagg spikes, rubberbanding etc.

Not a bad game.  Appocolyptic Mad Max in a more friendly world than Mad Max. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

Originally posted by NovaKayne

Thats good to hear... so its somewhat twitch based combat?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Pros: No Elves or Dwarves.

Cons: Some server lag but they're working on it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The combat is similar to oblivion yet seems a little floatie if you know what I mean. I guess you could compare it more to morrowind because of that. Melee feels a little awkward, mostly due to optimization issues in the code.

Also at first especially in sector one, you will notice the AI is really toned down. Don't panic (or rage quit) it does change as you progress into the later levels. The devs did this on purpose so you won't get overwhelmed with only a board and darts to defend yourself with :).

The game has elements of EVE (crafting while offline, similar to eve's leveling) and SWG, yet it's also very different from the two. Creating a pretty fresh feel, compared to what most are used to anyway. The FPS combat actually has point targetting (headshots). It does feel a little clumsy, yet (for me) that didn't take away from the overall experience, at least enough to get frustrated.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

The combat is similar to oblivion yet seems a little floatie if you know what I mean. I guess you could compare it more to morrowind because of that. Melee feels a little awkward, mostly due to optimization issues in the code.

Also at first especially in sector one, you will notice the AI is really toned down. Don't panic (or rage quit) it does change as you progress into the later levels. The devs did this on purpose so you won't get overwhelmed with only a board and darts to defend yourself with :).

The game has elements of EVE (crafting while offline, similar to eve's leveling) and SWG, yet it's also very different from the two. Creating a pretty fresh feel, compared to what most are used to anyway. The FPS combat actually has point targetting (headshots). It does feel a little clumsy, yet (for me) that didn't take away from the overall experience, at least enough to get frustrated.

thanks for the info.. the combat is a big deal for me.  So its kind of spotty, like morrowind? Where it uses checks on your skill level and the opponents skill level or is it, if you target its always a hit but based on a dice roll or something kinda like Tabula Rasa?

It sounds good, I'm starting to get a little excited.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

This game is for players that are in it for the LONG HAUL. It doesn't have instant gratification like most mmorpgs out there that follow the linear themepark setting. But you get a self satisifaction when you create your owns weapons, armor and vechicles.

The more time you put into this game, the better your character will be. I honestly think its a Hardcore game and some make like it from the get go, but I think alot of casual players will lose their patience because they are not progressing fast enough and will  be a game built around a niche crowd.

Lets just say its pretty close to Eve Online when it comes to leveling, at least this is my opinion.

The game in its current state has 45 levels with 3 sectors which will later on be expanded to another 100 levels with 7 more sectors (progressing through the months and years to come, according to the devs). I plan on staying with it thru thick and thin, I would hate to come into the game later on, knowing what I know now.

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

This game is for players that are in it for the LONG HAUL. It doesn't have instant gratification like most mmorpgs out there that follow the linear themepark setting. But you get a self satisifaction when you create your owns weapons, armor and vechicles.
    The more time you put into this game, the better your character will be. I honestly think its a Hardcore game and some make like it from the get go, but I think alot of casual players will lose their patience because they are not progressing fast enough and will  be a game built around a niche crowd.
    Lets just say its pretty close to Eve Online when it comes to leveling, at least this is my opinion.
    The game in its current state has 45 levels with 3 sectors which will later on be expanded to another 100 levels with 7 more sectors (progressing through the months and years to come, according to the devs). I plan on staying with it thru thick and thin, I would hate to come into the game later on, knowing what I know now.

The only problem I have with leveling (slow leveling) is if theres not enough content to warrant slow leveling... in a game like SWG I felt leveling really didn't matter (pre NGE mind you) because the game was just fun... I didn't care if I was max level or level 1 it was just experiencing the content, or crafting.. or doing my own thing.  I think thats why my buddy bought this game for me, because it is supposed to have more of a sandboxy feel.  If the combat is a little more skill based (fps style) then I could see myself getting into it for a long time.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Except of course for the fact that EVE doesn't have levels. 

I'm just saying......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I just finished an update on my blog for FE where I have laid out what I think are the positives.

http://www.mpog.com/blogs.cfm/blogId/84/entry/4783

In short I like the total world feel without any zones.

Twitch combat which decides the damage you deal

crafting is huge

Has a Fallout 3 type of feel which I love

I am getting great FPS on max settings.  Pretty amazing for a new game

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

how is it a change from the usual?   Combat wise or just the overall setting of the game.

How about you go play it and come back here with a book report.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Except of course for the fact that EVE doesn't have levels. 

I'm just saying......

LOL.. True!

I guess the way I expressed wasn't that great of an analogy. But I think most people of this forum get my drift.

Or I should have stated, if Eve Online had a level system in place.

Originally posted by chryses

I just finished an update on my blog for FE where I have laid out what I think are the positives.
    crafting is huge

Hey Chryses, when did you start playing?

I know some players are having a heck of a time and some are not, I fall in the middle somewhere, but enjoying the game still at a slow pace. I am about to enter S2, but I still feel I need to finish up S1 for additional AP's.

The game is very time consuming, at least on my end or how I play it.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Crafting goes very deep, and it's a part of your character development.

Because to craft you need to spend AP's (points), but you use those same point's to choose which path you go in combat methods (melee, pistols, rifles, healing etc). So instead of having limitations on crafting you just have to choose a perfect balance.

It's quiet confusing, at least it is to me. It requires some thinking before you spend those valuable points.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by chryses

crafting is huge

Hi Chryses. I just read your little blog and found it to be a very good read......which is often the case with your posts. The more I read about this game the more interested I get. Slow character growth sounds great to me because I am more interested in playing the part of a character in a world and feeling immersed. I've never really been that bothered about how "powerful" I am. I guess what I am talking about is roleplaying, something which other MMOs dont seem to have the capacity for with their rigid storylines and level grinding treadmills. To me a roleplaying game should be more than just making up stories in a chat channel. You should be able to roleplay with your actions and choices....and from some of the descriptions this game appears to offer that to a degree.....where you can make your own decisions in the gameworld without having to "fake it" in a chat channel (which always seemed kind of sad and desperate to me).

This game sounds like something that might be worth exploring and taking my time over. I still might hold off for a bit and wait for a few of its technical issues to iron themselves out......but then again from your description it sounds like it runs rather well. Damn! I might cave in and get it :)