Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know the King is hurting when you see this happen....

Craig Morrison serves someone we all know and love:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2543057&postcount=53

Shame really.

Of course this is contradictory to virtually all of his arguments in the past.

Could AoC be changing the mind and hearts of even the most dedicated AoC fan? Or could it be that not every AoC fan really believes the things they say to the critics of the game?

you tell me

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

You're reading way to much into it. It's a discussion or an opinion. If you read his blog he's not ranting the next day about the post or up in arms. If you follow him on twitter he's not ranting either.

Nice try though to spin it into something it isn't.

EDIT: I see no one being upset by the post Sil replied about on his blog...

http://simple-n-complex.blogspot.com/

or his twitter...

http://twitter.com/TempestOfNews

Just you trying to cause drama.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352
    Originally posted by Sevenwind

You're reading way to much into it. It's a discussion or an opinion. If you read his blog he's not ranting the next day about the post or up in arms. If you follow him on twitter he's not ranting either.
    Nice try though to spin it into something it isn't.

Read his Blog-lol. I'd have more interest in sliding bum first down a razor in to a pool of bleech...LOL..Read his blog!!!!!!!...you have such a great sense of humour...7. 

SO...was I reading too much into this comment, " Otherwise...well..I guess we just can't be bothered to sub anymore."

And Mr Morrison seemed to disagree with every single point he made.

Hey listen...people get fed up with FC--That I can understand. I can respect it even.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Is this really a thread about someone else's thread/blog or whatever, on the subject of not liking AOC?

It's just sour grapes nothing new at all, this crap happens everywhere from your local drug store to the offices of FC. Tensions flare from time to time, company to company, company to client, client to company take your pick. Shit: it happens.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

oh goody, a rant with someone getting served, lets look this over..

Quote:

Originally Posted by openedge1 View Post

Everyone agrees that the sieges are REALLY cool...but no one is showing up as they crash, and crash...then crash some more.

Unplayable..totally. Fix this first, and then this may keep some players from leaving...then get on that Endgame.

The issue with some servers for sieges are being worked on. 1.05.5.1 greatly reduced the number of servers experiencing siege crashes and we will continue to work on them until all the situations where server performance can suffer are resolved. It is something we will continue to focus on

this problem will remain even if they attempt to fix such issues, one glaring problem which continues to gather proof of part of the problem is a large influx of particle effects that is thrown about in sieges, mainly from casters depending on their set up. second would also be sieges continuing to have trouble with having 48 v 48, esspecially if one of the 48  80 percent of them are filled with heavy particle effect throwing classes. an issue such as this makes the super battlekeeps nothing more than a wet dream.

Quote:

Iron Tower, a cool concept, but will be worthless if all that drops there is blues...no one wants blues anymore. Make it worthwhile endgame content or put it on hold. Make the drops EPICS...then we will like it.

Actually that's not entirely true, far more people use the team instances than they do the raids, and play for those rewards too as they don't regularly raid so I firmly believe there is a place for both. It is easy to think of your surroundings and guild as 'the norm' once you are raiding when in actual fact there are usually as many, if not more, people who don't raid playing at the same level.

It is important we have content for both and the next few updates are doing just that.

Siding with CM on this, and he is right but with a contradiction that he has no control over (unless he overhauls the game a second time) . I believe that blues can still be worthwhile, take a look at the Blue crafted recipe items as an example. there are many guilds, smaller guilds that are unable to put together raids and go on a farming basis unlike the super guilds that farm for purples 24/7. for them to get those purple loots, forces them to join with these super guilds (which ends up leading to massive takeover merges)  conduct well oiled machine pug raids with a dash of patience and know how, or simply join with a bigger guild that farm purples 24/7.

with that said, CM's contradiction (again no control over)  comes in due to the nature of AOC itself, favoring giant super guilds and exiling smaller guilds; from what i said earlier,   in example of that the supposed super battle keeps. CM having the Iron Tower is a blessing for smaller guilds, players who cannot invest in large hours to do raids, sieges. but as for blues vs. purples - my take on that is purples would lose the meaning of epic loot if they become easily accessible,  and the said blues in Iron Tower should be Different in look and ability than the blues you would find in other zones.

i would side with open edge if FC shows their laziness by adding blues that are the same blues you can find in  Kesh,Commons,Aztel Approach... so FC make the blues different  (which i heard they are...  Bear Shaman Mask anyone)

Quote:

PvP needs some new vitality and changes also...

That's the idea behind the new Border Kingdom Tower systems we are working on for the next update cycle.

Concern raised, Concern Answered...wheres the ownage?  moving on...

Quote:

Thats all you need to do to keep those of use who are trying to understand the length of time it is taking for you guys to develop stuff...

Otherwise...well..I guess we just can't be bothered to sub anymore.

As I have said before, and elsewhere, I think we are very much 'on average' with development time for major content and feature additions. Of course we can improve, and always strive to, but MMOs are a complex beast and I think when you stack up our additions to the game against similar games I think you'll see we compare quite favorably to most. Like I said we do challenge ourselves to improve all the time, but I am comfortable we aren't 'slow' for the industry. We can just always aim to try and be faster up until the point when the quality would suffer.

...of course it is also human nature to always want more as well

And FC are not that slow as others claim..COMPARED TO OTHER MMO'S

The problem with AOC, which has been still the same problem since launch, is that theres really nothing to do. ya, we have ymirs, aztels,  the commons, crows nest, kesh, epic kesh, the raid zones, the mini games,  the crafting, the sieges on and on and on. but in the perspective of a vet that has been around for a long time, one can understand that there really isnt anything else to do since after you experienced everything.  and with AOC's continued Arcade like stigma -- players looking for any social connection are left in the cold (yet they are gonna have to wait abit longer due to the guild system thats coming up).

I guess im blind or do not have a big enough tin foil hat to see a bleeding king around, or some one getting served a value meal of ownage, best bet is to change the thread to "Glaring issues haunt CM part 4"  since half of these issues have been said more than once if you do some digging.

• FC-FamineFC-Famine Funcom Community ManagerMember UncommonPosts: 278
    Originally posted by Blackwell99

Hey listen...people get fed up with FC--That I can understand. I can respect it even.

Nothing wrong with the development team disagreeing with points raised. It shows they're reading them and at least trying to provide a honest answer.

On that note, I disagree all the time but I'm normally corrected because players engage me more for a great community discussion.

Glen ''Famine'' Swan
    Senior Assistant Community Manager - Funcom

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

As I have said before, and elsewhere, I think we are very much 'on average' with development time for major content and feature additions. Of course we can improve, and always strive to, but MMOs are a complex beast and I think when you stack up our additions to the game against similar games I think you'll see we compare quite favorably to most. Like I said we do challenge ourselves to improve all the time, but I am comfortable we aren't 'slow' for the industry. We can just always aim to try and be faster up until the point when the quality would suffer.

And FC are not that slow as others claim..COMPARED TO OTHER MMO'S

These are the kind of problems I have with devs especially devs of games on the troubled end of the spectrum.  Where are the numbers that you are comparing your development cycle to?  What other games are you comparing your game to?  Sieges have simply not worked very well for most since this game released and now he says well in our last patch we show that alot less people are having problems with them?  Yeah but a large part of your population have had problems with the sieges since the games relase over a year ago, I can't think of a single mmo on the market with a good reputation that has had a problem similar to this one alone not to mention the advertised DX10 that only made it into the game some 8-10 months after release.  We are swiftly approaching a point in life where people need to start thinking simply saying something does not make it true as CM seems to think.  I want to see some of these programmers use their mathematical knowledge to show and prove that the dev cycle for this game is on average with the industry because I'm fairly certain it's not.  I can't think of a single mmo since SWG that was allowed to face the exact same problems for so long after release and that does not equal average with or without numbers.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

21st century customer service etiquette:

Customer is always right, when he's not being wrong.

Originally posted by FC-Famine

Nothing wrong with the development team disagreeing with points raised. It shows they're reading them and at least trying to provide a honest answer.

On that note, I disagree all the time but I'm normally corrected because players engage me more for a great community discussion.

There is nothing wrong with CM disagreeing-here's were the wrong occurs:

Lets say that sieges won't work and can't work because of your midware (which im convinced is the truth-feel free to prove me wrong).

Would FC come out and announce it...or try to keep up the appearance FC is working through it...even though it will never work properly.

Because im of the thinking if it could have been made operational...it would have by now.

Considering that is a major "selling point" of the game play--to not having it working by now is really deceiving to many who subscribe to the game. It's really rather heartless actually.

If it can be fixed....lets have a timeline.  Announcement or Timeline (i mean it's been 1.5 years)

Otherwise it's not surprising the the King of Fanboys himself is turing on you. I would imagine many others will too...you really can't blame them.

There's nothing wrong with deceived customers turning on the highwayman in the same vane.

So where are the IMPORTANT honest answers...like population numbers, will sieges ever work...etc....you know the honest answers that your customers care about?

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

And FC are not that slow as others claim..COMPARED TO OTHER MMO'S
    These are the kind of problems I have with devs especially devs of games on the troubled end of the spectrum.  Where are the numbers that you are comparing your development cycle to?  What other games are you comparing your game to?  Sieges have simply not worked very well for most since this game released and now he says well in our last patch we show that alot less people are having problems with them?  Yeah but a large part of your population have had problems with the sieges since the games relase over a year ago, I can't think of a single mmo on the market with a good reputation that has had a problem similar to this one alone not to mention the advertised DX10 that only made it into the game some 8-10 months after release.  We are swiftly approaching a point in life where people need to start thinking simply saying something does not make it true as CM seems to think.  I want to see some of these programmers use their mathematical knowledge to show and prove that the dev cycle for this game is on average with the industry because I'm fairly certain it's not.  I can't think of a single mmo since SWG that was allowed to face the exact same problems for so long after release and that does not equal average with or without numbers.

Funcom is not the slowest, as many things they have worked on over a year its impossible to say they are the slowest.

the thing about the problem with sieges and why they just do not work is that between the time that they did work, Specifically after the melee revamp and before 1.05, sieges were at their most stable, the majority of people were able to play them and participate in them.  yes sieges were lag heavy, buggy, and were littered with problems, but they worked, and worked leaps and bounds better between the time before 1.05. but what im saying falls on deaf ears because they are personal experiences, the same personal experience that others either share, or others disagree because they experienced sieges that never worked for them..either most of the time,  or never at all.

again with personal experiences, people are split due to the games they have played and have tried for a X amount of time.

such as some of the games from SOE.  or planetside in particular, or vanguard, or matrix which is now dead.

numbers are pointless if experiences are all people are going by. and if you even did , by some miracle, meet up with the AOC devs, they would at least , hopefully have the courtsey to give you the yes man approach of nodding their head countlessly, knowningly that both your time and their time is ultimately being wasted.

to the point, the only proof or fact you will only get out of this is that Funcom has done a large amount of dev work with AOC, if not a whole alot of more people would not be playing this game, the subs that they have ,regardless how small they are is evidence of their work. However Sieges need to be fixed, and they are not working as intended, therefore Funcom has a obligation to step up and find a way to make them work.

• FC-FamineFC-Famine Funcom Community ManagerMember UncommonPosts: 278

Lets say that sieges won't work and can't work because of your midware (which im convinced is the truth-feel free to prove me wrong).

Would FC come out and announce it...or try to keep up the appearance FC is working through it...even though it will never work properly.

Because im of the thinking if it could have been made operational...it would have by now.

Considering that is a major "selling point" of the game play--to not having it working by now is really deceiving to many who subscribe to the game. It's really rather heartless actually.

If it can be fixed....lets have a timeline.  Announcement or Timeline (i mean it's been 1.5 years)

Otherwise it's not surprising the the King of Fanboys himself is turing on you. I would imagine many others will too...you really can't blame them.

There's nothing wrong with deceived customers turning on the highwayman in the same vane.

So where are the IMPORTANT honest answers...like population numbers, will sieges ever work...etc....you know the honest answers that your customers care about?

Nothing is impossible. So no we wont come out and announce anything wont be fixed or improved etc.

Will Sieges ever work? Sure, they work now. They can be better and yes that's what Craig is referring to in his posts. We're working on improving any system that lacks. Nothing is impossible as above. It's a key feature that we will look at if need be...

Will we provide a detailed timeline on this progression? More than likely no simply because it's too hard to do that and please those who read it. It's the same reason why we won't go into detail about 6 months or 6 years from now. Things change based on what's going on now. It's better to be more realistic and have more conformation before providing visions into the future.

These are all honest answers I feel but it's really up to you in the long run to see it as so.

Glen ''Famine'' Swan
    Senior Assistant Community Manager - Funcom

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

Read his Blog-lol. I'd have more interest in sliding bum first down a razor in to a pool of bleech...LOL..Read his blog!!!!!!!...you have such a great sense of humour...7.

But zealously trolling the AoC forums for months is no problem?

Thanks for making my day

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

Nothing is impossible. So no we wont come out and announce anything wont be fixed or improved etc.

Will Sieges ever work? Sure, they work now. They can be better and yes that's what Craig is referring to in his posts. We're working on improving any system that lacks. Nothing is impossible as above. It's a key feature that we will look at if need be...

Will we provide a detailed timeline on this progression? More than likely no simply because it's too hard to do that and please those who read it. It's the same reason why we won't go into detail about 6 months or 6 years from now. Things change based on what's going on now. It's better to be more realistic and have more conformation before providing visions into the future.

These are all honest answers I feel but it's really up to you in the long run to see it as so.

If 1 out of 100 sieges are playable-that can't be considered functioning. (There are tonnes of post that back this up, but im sure you are aware of this). One can be found in the link by the King of Fanboys.

Where he himself says: "Everyone agrees that the sieges are REALLY cool...but no one is showing up as they crash, and crash...then crash some more.

Unplayable..totally."

This is a guy who use to fight ever criticism (against AoC) hair, tooth and nail. Which is kind of the point of the OP. Unless you are saying he is a flat out liar?

If you put yourself in a current subscriber's shoes--i think you can understand how a lack of a timeline appears. It can only mean one of two things: You can't fix the problem, or you don't know if you can fix the problem; either way I don't really see FC's situation improving under those circumstances.

We can spin anything off "nothing's impossible," Time travel i suppose is not impossible...but it's impossible within our lifetime. So I suppose it may be possible to make sieges functional. But is it possible that it will be a fun, non laggy, non buggy, non exploitable experience. Well you left that up to me...and i really don't think it is....but I hope you prove me wrong.

Of course time is running out. There are so much competition coming out by quality game makers in the next year it's difficult to keep on top of it all. Planetside2, Start Wars, Star Trek, Final Fantasy ...these are just the AAA titles.

Is it possible that one of these will absolutely rip your player base from AoC's grasp---well...again anythings possible, but this is likely.

The scary thing is, this would be true even if your game was working as intended.

I think if pleasing people was a serious endeavour of FC;  there would have been a different approach taken from day one. Same with the honesty concept as well.

Feel free to site examples of your honest approach towards your customers. Last I checked all of the servers are marked "Medium load" -is this the honesty you are referring to?

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

The real big issue with Sieges - like with pretty much everything in the game - is that it simply doesn't add up.  The overall system is lacking, pointless to say the least.   Making them work "technically" will not make them any better for the overall game progression. 

Putting timescale on when Siege battles will become meaningfull - is something Funcom will never be able to do.  Cause the game has billions of other issues to sort through before even thinking of this one.  First one beeing to be able to survife the next 2-3 MMO realeases without loosing 50% of the playerbase every time.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

I wonder if its more fun to defend aoc than to play aoc

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.