Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It should have been Mass Effect Online...

... and thats why alot of us are hating the silly singleplayer wow-clone cartoon with voice over and "story" that is Star Wars: The Old Republic.

We all know that if BioWare hadnt made this crap, they might have been working on Mass Effect Online right now.

Whats good though is that BioWare will learn something from making SWTOR, the question is... what?

What do you think they will do wrong with SWTOR and learn (hopefully) not to do in Mass Effect Online (when that game comes out)?

Comments

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

they are doing nothing wrong hence there is nothing to learn.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

ME Online may be their next MMO project.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Securion

... and thats why alot of us are hating the silly singleplayer wow-clone cartoon with voice over and "story" that is Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Not a single player or wow clone. I'll give you cartoon. I think a Mass Effect MMO would look nothing like the original RPGs, they would probably drive the graphics down a lot, or change the art style, my opinion anyways. A Mass Effect MMO would probably take at least 2 years of brainstorming and 5-6 of actual development.

I can wait for a ME MMO, already pre-ordered Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age origins. Those should keep me occupied till ToR.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

They will learn that most MMO players are not interested in story.

I'm fine with most MMO players not playing ToR, most of them are brain dead idiots anyways.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

ME online? Didnt someone post the same crap about STO awhile back?  The trolls and haters really need to regroup and come up with some original material. Guess i will log onto my WOW clone of choice, EQ2  or is WOW an EQ2 clone,or did WOW clone EQ then EQ2 clone WOW? So many clones running around i get confused.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

What is OP on about? They'd never make ME online (at least for years now). It's way too close to TOR. You don't make a competitor for your own game until that first game is dying.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Do you even know what the game is actually like? I mean sure, I've read many leaks, from actual testers, and only then I started to comment about how bad/good a game is, but not from a few presentations.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Naw they wouldn't be making a ME online.

ME is a 3 part series that was gonna be released that way.

Not to mention ME and Tor are being made in two different studios, they really have nothing to do with each other.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I would rather Bioware stick to what their good at and keep making Single player Rpgs.

Scrap TOR and Give me a Kotor 3 and no I would rather play ME 2 and 3 than a lame MMO.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Sure they are awesome Sp RPG makers, but how do you know they wont be good at this? I wanna see how well they do.  This is kotor 3,4,5,6,7 etc. I'm just happy I will be able to experience a game like this with friends.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by greed0104

Sure they are awesome Sp RPG makers, but how do you know they wont be good at this? I wanna see how well they do.  This is kotor 3,4,5,6,7 etc. I'm just happy I will be able to experience a game like this with friends.

That's true but honestly now that EA owns them I would rather them not get destroyed by EA if they fail at making a game as successful as WoW.

Look What EA did to Mythic.

Bioware is releasing Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 soon. Both of these games are going to be massive hits yet EA wont care they will fragment Bioware and destroy them if TOR is crap.

It's too big of a risk, do you really want EA to destroy one of the top three Rpg devs (Bethesda,Square,Bioware) because of a damn MMO?

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by greed0104

That's true but honestly now that EA owns them I would rather them not get destroyed by EA if they fail at making a game as successful as WoW.

Look What EA did to Mythic.

Bioware is releasing Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 soon. Both of these games are going to be massive hits yet EA wont care they will fragment Bioware and destroy them if TOR is crap.

It's too big of a risk, do you really want EA to destroy one of the top three Rpg devs (Bethesda,Square,Bioware) because of a damn MMO?

To begin with, I'm not saying this to insult Mythic, but Warhammer was god awful. I never played it at release, I was getting sick of the fantasy genre so had no intentions in trying it. About 3 weeks ago I actually gave it a shot. The download was horribly slow, but that's not a problem. I roll a Chaos guy with a shield, forgot the class name. Get into the game, I get my first quest, headed through some gate. Ok this is where I was quickly turned off from the game, the mobs did this Micheal Jackson moon walk slip and slide move to me, not once, but every pull. In a distance the mobs moved like those nurses from Silent Hill if you know what I'm talking about. Yes, I had the game maxed out. They have had plenty of time to touch up on this stuff, even if EA was pushing the product out the door.

So basically, I'm not blaming EA at this point. I think Mythic just fumbled on WAR. I have never played DAOC, I have heard many  good things about it, so i'm not going to call them a bad company. Also, I think part of the agreement between BioWare and EA was that BioWare had full control of there projects, EAs only cause to was to publish these when ready. I think EA knows BioWare is able to handle itself.

Edit: should add that even though the animations in WAR were horrible I didn't stop there, I didn't uninstall until I got stuck on a tombstone unable to get out while being beaten down by a bunch of crap animated zombies.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Oh my god! Can you believe this crap?! They are copying concepts from World of Warcraft!! Matter-of-fact, I'd say they are copying concepts from every MMORPG out there! God what a drag! This game will definitely blow.. I mean, look, I've already played the game and this game sucks! 

You have to level, what the hell is that? And then move your character around and interact, screw that! I want something new!

• stevekr21stevekr21 Member Posts: 50

I vote troll!

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I am 100% in support of Bioware's direction for this game.

However, I'm sure Mass Effect is gearing up for a potential forray into the MMORPG space after the single-player trilogy is released, so I'm sure Bioware will learn something from SW:TOR that will be used in such future projects.

I don't know why so many people have such a negative view of this game already... Everything Bioware has released has made me more and more excited about it. Maybe some of you haven't played KOTOR... If not, I suggest that you do.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Securion

We all know that if BioWare hadnt made this crap, they might have been working on Mass Effect Online right now.
    Whats good though is that BioWare will learn something from making SWTOR, the question is... what?

What do you think they will do wrong with SWTOR and learn (hopefully) not to do in Mass Effect Online (when that game comes out)?

There will be no ME online, and despite what you personally think, a majority of people are interested and excited about TOR and could probably care less about an ME MMO.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572

I would rather Bioware stick to what their good at and keep making Single player Rpgs.

Scrap TOR and Give me a Kotor 3 and no I would rather play ME 2 and 3 than a lame MMO.

They are already releasing two major single-player RPGs.  They wanted to try something different and advance as a company, and anyone who has a problem with that needs to go find something productive to do with their lives.

If you hate the game when it released, then fine, but don't just look at something new and go, "WAAAAAAAAAH!"  We wouldn't have any progression if everyone thought like you.

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

What are you even doing on this site if you don't care for MMOs?

I'm certainly glad we won't see you in TOR then... or will we?

Your envy will soon double as hypocrisy. Interesting.

THE Rooster Nash

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

Whilst I am a massive fan of Mass Effect, I do not wish to see it go massively multiplayer. I enjoy that storyline on a single-player basis, and would rather it stay that way for - at least - the time being. Perhaps in the distant future it would be a good idea to release, but for the time being, it is still fairly new to the gaming world.

Star Wars, on the other hand, has been in desperate need of the perfect MMO. If you are a true fan of what BW has done with ME and KOTOR, then stick by them as they tackle the next big thing rather than standing on the side lines shouting boo only because they didn't perform the play you had expected or wished for them to.

In other words, stop crying over spilled milk.

THE Rooster Nash

• zipitzipit Member Posts: 487
    Originally posted by Darth_Pete

They will learn that most MMO players are not interested in story.

I sense you are...correct. Story is the core center in singleplayer games, but MMO players define their own story, create their own humor, their own societies. Of course they need a functioning framework in order to do this. Guild tools, player hubs with enough incentive not to treat it as a "passing-through-point" etc etc.

The Biowarians is a shrewd crowd, but if they don't nail down the diverse and multifaceted psychology of MMO players their "story" concept will crash and burn. I recommend all to pass by the Daedalus project and check out Stanford Ph.D Nicky Yee and his work on MMOs, I got alot out of reading it.