Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont want to gather, I dont want to craft

subby33subby33 Member Posts: 12

In most MMO's I've always skipped the gathering/crafting part of the game, and relied on farming mobs for drops for money.

Can I play this game succesfully while skipping those two aspects of the game.

So far (lvl 23), i've been doing fine buy buying the mats for quests and skipping everything.  I tried to level up my Aether and Vitality but it took me a whole DAY to get my aether to 60 and my vitality to 70.  Thats just toooooo much grind for me.  The mechanics of gathering in the game are very hardcore.

Comments

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140

You can do fine with just selling your rares you get from mobs on the AH... and getting money... crafting is a option you can do.. really nice when you start getting alot of alts you can craft all the best gear for them and makes lvl'n easier for them...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think there are many people who haven't touched crafting and are doing fine. Especially if they are grinding and selling the drops.

I'm only 27 and though I'm not rich I've been able to upgrade as I go along.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

I am only lvl 25 but can say you can run the whole game doing nothing but quest and PVP. Crafting is more for items and $$$ sink then anything eles i can tell so far. Dropped gear seems to be good at low lvls as well. Abyss gear you by with points so.....

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

gathering is honestly easier in Aion than other games, because you have multiple options to gather to skill off of. other games i was a miner i could only level up with it off of ming ore, so spent all day scrounging for ore here and there. Aion gathering the stuff is everywhere and get skill off anything fish,ore,herbs,fruit ect. that said, i didn't bother with it either till 25, i back tracked  skilled up to the items in the area where i was questing at.

• subby33subby33 Member Posts: 12

Thanks for the replies :-).

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I've been stupid for selling my greens on vendors up to this point, you really can do well on the AH.

As for crafting, you really don't have to at all, seeing as how the better stuff is always loot variety. The only upside is that at lvl 13 I twinked out in craft leathers that were semi decent, but at 18 I was not even getting the drops needed to make that set - yet the stuff dropped made it moot. I think there is good money is just being a gatherer too, some people are just totally lazy, and by parking a private store in front of the craft distract you will catch them.

One thing I do have to say tho is that nobody forced you to grind out 60/70 in one sitting, I've been getting what I see as I quest just enough to be able to harvest things from the next area. Right now I am about 80 vitality at the lvl 18 spots and still under 25 aether - as I agree that is always something you need to go out of your way to get. You basically [have to] grind that to at least 25 in order to touch things in Meija snactuary.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I thought there were like gather quests at higher levels?

If you don't gather do you miss out on significant xp?

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by neoterrar

nah, it's very little XP, about 20% of what you'd get if you killed in the same amount of time.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by subby33

In most MMO's I've always skipped the gathering/crafting part of the game, and relied on farming mobs for drops for money.
    So far (lvl 23), i've been doing fine buy buying the mats for quests and skipping everything.  I tried to level up my Aether and Vitality but it took me a whole DAY to get my aether to 60 and my vitality to 70.  Thats just toooooo much grind for me.  The mechanics of gathering in the game are very hardcore.

Can you? Yes

Are you missing out on a ton of bloody money? Yes

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by neoterrar

Asmo side at level 22, my vitality and aether gathering are a bit low. I have maybe 5 quests I can't finish right now that require me to gather above my skill. I need to spend a couple hours catching it up.

I'd guess that all the XP you get from gathering and crafting would add up after a while.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Andraxx

I'd guess that all the XP you get from gathering and crafting would add up after a while.

Well gather and craft xp are basically about 1/10 of a mbos at your level's xp if you consider craft gain in-line with leveling. That's what I have noticed while crafting in bits after leveling. I have had at least 4 level ups from crafting as well, but the bar was 3/4 of the way full - which in the scheme of thins is still quite a bit of xp. I am a 99 tailor, 40 handcraft and 25 food/alch tho.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by subby33

There is a faster way.

The trick to raising Vitality Gathering is to start early with the Aria plants in the Newbie Zone.  In fact, the XP they give will level you up as fast or faster to level 3 than killing mobs.  By then (10 minutes), your skill should be at least 15 (I tend to be 20 to 25 by then), which is good enough to get the iron ore for the Tula's music box quest.  

It is very easy to leave newbieville with a 30 to 45 skill.  That will make things a lot easier.

Interesting fact:  You can actually level up to level 5 picking nothing but Aria and do it in a half hour to 45 minutes and your skill will be about 35 to 40.

There are areas where resources are clustered that will allow you to rocket to 85 while you kill quest mobs (Once you leave newbieville).

As far as aether goes, yeah... it is a slow go.  Again, the key is to do it off and on.  I use gathering (either type) as a way to regen mana or HP when it is getting a little low.  For example, if I am at half health, I see a small Vortex, I fly up to it and gather what I can.  By then, I am have enough umph for another battle, and it doesn't seem like a chore that way.

If you gather here and there, it will go up in little time, but yes, if you try to level it all up at once, especially in a crowded mid-zone, it can be a major time sink.

Of course, if you aren't gonna craft, then there is not much need to gather, unless you want to sell the stuff, which higher end items can fetch you a pretty Kinah.

Oh yeah, a note on those annoying "Succeed/Fail" progress bars you see in crafting:  At first, this is so slow.  But once your skill exceeds the base gathering level by 10 it speeds up a lot, and by 25 over it zooms by most of the time.  The newbie items pick faster than later items, so again, starting early is the key to faster gathering.

That said, I do feel NCSoft could speed that part up... I hate it when the bars simply stall out for what seems like a full minute at times.

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

I been leveling slower than most people,. im level 28 atm but i been crafting all the way up :D and gathering aether and everything else.

It takes time and is boring to gather, but boy you make some good money. I never enjoyed crafting so much on any game, im really making good money with armorsmith.

If you dont craft thats ok, :) you just wont be as rich as people that do craft

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by oskironmaide

I been leveling slower than most people,. im level 28 atm but i been crafting all the way up :D and gathering aether and everything else.

It takes time and is boring to gather, but boy you make some good money. I never enjoyed crafting so much on any game, im really making good money with armorsmith.
    If you dont craft thats ok, :) you just wont be as rich as people that do craft

that's not slower than most people. There are quite a few people who are just hitting 20. On Triniel, 33% are 20-30 and only 3% are 31+

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo