Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing 6 Current MMOs for an avid PvPer

DaelyxDaelyx Member Posts: 26

Which of the following provides the best overall PvP experience?

Please provide some input to help me decide which MMO I should pursue to satisfy my craving for PvP:

• Warhammer Online
  • Everquest 2
  • Aion
  • Fallen Earth
  • Darkfall
  • DAoC

My findings on the games I've played, please comment on any of my comments if you have anything to add:

Warhammer Online-

Pros: You can completely skip PvE all together, and not miss out on anything important.

Cons: End-game is horrid. Game engine is somewhat laggy. Character individuality is piss poor. All X class is Y race. Too much instanced RvR, not enough open-world. Auto attack/Auto target. 2 factions only.

Everquest 2-

Pros: Excellent character creation, lots of races, lots of classes. Norrath brings back great memories. Open PvP. I haven't played this game, it's only from what I've heard/read.

Cons: PvP is pointless, outside of fun factor. Auto attack/auto target. Game is more PvE focused.

Aion-

Pros: Flying combat, character individuality is great. Game is apparently supposed to be centered around PvP.

Cons: Usual auto target/auto attack.  Fairyish characters/lore. Poor amount of classes to select from. PvP non-existent in early stages. 2 factions only.

Fallen Earth-

Pros: FPS aiming! Different than the usual MMO. Truly Open PvP in PvP zones. Great crafting system. No classes.

Cons: PvE based game. Limited PvP zones. Graphics seem dated, and not very immersive.

Darkfall-

Pros: During balanced combat, easily one of the most fun PvP MMOs (rarely happens). Twitch based, no classes. Great massive PvP battles.

Cons: Zergfest. Macroing. Anti-casual. World is extremely empty. Near impossible to find any small scale action. Grindy. Magic required to compete with the best. Guard towers.

Dark Age of Camelot-

Pros: AWESOME PvP. Worthwhile PvP, good class system, 3 factions.

Cons: EVERYONE uses bots- if you don't use a bot, you will be gimped (deal breaker for me). Dated graphics, low population.

Feel free to reply with other good PvP games.  /DISCUSS

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I would go with DAOC or Aion, daoc just recently had a huge merge and it seems like theyve seen a good population boost. If you want a sandbox game though then darkfall would prolly be good for you.

• DaelyxDaelyx Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I would go with DAOC or Aion, daoc just recently had a huge merge and it seems like theyve seen a good population boost. If you want a sandbox game though then darkfall would prolly be good for you.

My only problem with DAoC is it is REQUIRED to have 2 accounts to compete solo... This is a deal breaker, frankly, unless they fix this problem.

• RothnirRothnir Member Posts: 41

I am currently giving AION a shot. Apart from the fact that it has wings I don't expect the PvP to be much different from WoW. Auto-attack and you'll have it in a special zone (like a Battleground I guess, haven't leveled that far yet). Still, worth a try just because there is more to a game for me than just PvP.

If u want full loot FFA PvP go Darkfall. Can't be more empty than EQ or DAoC these days. But as OP said, mainly large scale fights nowadays (in Europe). Skilling up has gotten a lot faster, but magic is much more important than melee these days due to the sieg'ing where it is often a pure AE spell fest to rape the enemy fast.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

As a game built from the ground up to be built primarily around PVP, give Warhammer a shot above all the others.  It's not as dead as people here would lead you to believe, and art style is rather nice.  That said,  Its graphics engine is a resource hog, and it's rather buggy, but there simply aren't any other MMORPGs out there with such a degree of focus on PVP.  The game has a free trial that I would recommend you download so you can get a feel for the game.

For a close second, I would recommend Aion.  I haven't played the game, but from what I hear, it runs smoother (quality of graphics is debatable), and because it's fairly new, there will be tons of players to interact with at low levels, and joining a halfway decent guild won't be the issue that it appears to be in Warhammer.

Like someone already said, DAoC is experiencing somewhat of a small revival with the server mergers, and in my own estimation, three realm RvR is better than it is with only two.  As you say though, it's not the game to play if you watn to solo, and as a personal fear, I'm not sure if you'd find the slow paced combat very attractive.

How's EQ2 in regards to PvP? Tempted to try, as I have heard of some people that played it for 3-4 years on PvP servers... I'd rather not go back to DF until the population is upped. Currently, you can spend 2 hours looking for some 1v1/1v2/1v3, and I like to solo.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

eg2 as one thing i love you can be exiled 

wich mean your against both the good and the bad 

dont know if you can level from 10 to 80 as an exiled tho

that was my plan to level my necro-troll to 80 as an exiled but i dont know how to do it 

i am exiled tho

As an exile player, can you kill other Exile players?

Also, can you PvP anywhere, at anytime when you are an exile player? Is the only limitation guards that will KOS you? Are there Exile cities where you can get quests and what not?

Originally posted by Daelyx

As an exile player, can you kill other Exile players?
    Also, can you PvP anywhere, at anytime when you are an exile player? Is the only limitation guards that will KOS you? Are there Exile cities where you can get quests and what not?

yep exile player can kill almost everybody everywhere but in their cave city

(sorry dont recall the name)

its a freaking bitch tho your also the target of everybody and if they kill you they become carnage flagged 

so basicly they re friend can kill them too 

its an insane system ,dont know all tho saw  a lot of level 80 exile 

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I think outside of Darkfall, I had the most fun PvP'n in EQ2. It's fun tracking and killing players when they aren't expecting it. The great thing about EQ2 over Darkfall is that there is something to do besides killin' folk.

There was an article around recently about "The Hunt" , EQ2 definitely had that. Darkfall always seemed like a fox hunt(depending on which end of the hunt you were on)

Originally posted by neoterrar

I think outside of Darkfall, I had the most fun PvP'n in EQ2. It's fun tracking and killing players when they aren't expecting it. The great thing about EQ2 over Darkfall is that there is something to do besides killin' folk.
    There was an article around recently about "The Hunt" , EQ2 definitely had that. Darkfall always seemed like a fox hunt(depending on which end of the hunt you were on)

Have you tried Aion?

Sounds like I need to look at either getting into EQ2 or Aion.

Aion has more of a developed PvP system, but it's more limited. There is also risk involved.

EQ2 seems like you may get more PvP as an Exile, but it's pointless.

compare these 2... go.

Originally posted by neoterrar

yep i havent went far in eq2 but there is defenetly that hunt thing in there

and from some level 80 post in eq2 i think its pretty steep anough to keep everybody on their toes

• lazyBilllazyBill Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Daelyx

Which of the following provides the best overall PvP experience?
    Please provide some input to help me decide which MMO I should pursue to satisfy my craving for PvP:

Warhammer Online
    Everquest 2
    Aion
    Fallen Earth
    Darkfall
    DAoC

My findings on the games I've played, please comment on any of my comments if you have anything to add:

Warhammer Online-
    Pros: You can completely skip PvE all together, and not miss out on anything important.
    Cons: End-game is horrid. Game engine is somewhat laggy. Character individuality is piss poor. All X class is Y race. Too much instanced RvR, not enough open-world. Auto attack/Auto target. 2 factions only.

Everquest 2-
    Pros: Excellent character creation, lots of races, lots of classes. Norrath brings back great memories. Open PvP. I haven't played this game, it's only from what I've heard/read.
    Cons: PvP is pointless, outside of fun factor. Auto attack/auto target. Game is more PvE focused.

Aion-
    Pros: Flying combat, character individuality is great. Game is apparently supposed to be centered around PvP.
    Cons: Usual auto target/auto attack.  Fairyish characters/lore. Poor amount of classes to select from. PvP non-existent in early stages. 2 factions only.

Fallen Earth-
    Pros: FPS aiming! Different than the usual MMO. Truly Open PvP in PvP zones. Great crafting system. No classes.
    Cons: PvE based game. Limited PvP zones. Graphics seem dated, and not very immersive.

Darkfall-
    Pros: During balanced combat, easily one of the most fun PvP MMOs (rarely happens). Twitch based, no classes. Great massive PvP battles.
    Cons: Zergfest. Macroing. Anti-casual. World is extremely empty. Near impossible to find any small scale action. Grindy. Magic required to compete with the best. Guard towers.

Dark Age of Camelot-
    Pros: AWESOME PvP. Worthwhile PvP, good class system, 3 factions.
    Cons: EVERYONE uses bots- if you don't use a bot, you will be gimped (deal breaker for me). Dated graphics, low population.

Feel free to reply with other good PvP games.  /DISCUSS

Warhammer Online: Ive been there and done this game, the game is currently a fail, but thats only in my opinion, they git a ways to go, especially bringing more into the open PVP

Everquest 2: i only got to play this one a month or so, beautiful graphics, but just one of those games that made me go Meh, could be better?

Aion: wont get a dime from me!

Fallen Earth: i have no opinion on this one because i havent played it, but allot of good reviews out there, that says something!!

Darkfall: No opinion due to not trying it!

DaOc: one of the best games i have ever played, best pvp i seen in any game, servers have been merged so the community is looking better, bots are there, always gonna be there, bots dont make the player, you make the player, one without a buffbot can beat one with a buffbot easy if you play your class right

Good luck with which one you choose!

Played:
    Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Everquest 1, and 2 , Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo 2, Saga of Ryzom, Warhammer Online, Dark Ages of Camelot...etc

aion as more pop

eq2 pop there is pretty steady

if your from europe i suggest eq2

usa try aion  more player means more pvp 

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

If youre up to something completely different the PvP in EVE Online is immense.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Jothmein

I wish I like space ships, I would seriously give eve a shot, but its just not my type of setting.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by Jothmein

Yeah, I've tried it and just couldn't get into it... Just not my cup of tea, frankly.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

You should give Guild Wars a try, I've found in GW the most fun PvP.

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

Stay away from EQ2

with the new patch they totally Muffed things up.

lil taste?  they descided to change the racial perks around, but they, as of yet, haven't givin the option for players to change thier race of thier existing characters.  so you can imagine the bloody Hell being screamed at on the forums.  the feedback thread for this latest patch is 9 pages long, and i believe i have seen 2(yea, that's right) 2 posts that wasn't calling for the Heads of SoE in one fashion or another.

on a personal note they said they were gonna add a slider bar for combat/AA conversion exp.  they made the bar only to go 50% and since you get 3 points AA for every 2 levels most peeps won't bother with it.

if your gonna start from scratch? nagafin server, and goodluck.  though i give you 2-3 months b4 you too will be calling for heads and hides

:)

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless