Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody else dissapointed in Capcom lately?

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Capcom used to be one of my favorite video game developers.They used to develop awesome action platform titles such as as the Megaman Series and one of my favorite rpg franchises: Breath of Fire. There also used to be a time when Disney games were not only good: They were great, because they were developed by Capcom.

They are best known for the Megaman, Resident Evil and Street Fighter franchises, but I can't help but feel that Capcom's quality is going down over the past few years. Capcom released one of the best games of all time last generation by reinventing the Resident Evil formula with Resident Evil 4. I also consider this to be the last truly great Capcom game.

In my opinion, everything that was released after RE4 or at least that I have played, has been good but not great.

Lost Planet was an early Xbox 360 Third Person Shooter. It was a fairly generic action game, it didn't have the depth, atmosphere or overall gameplay of Resident Evil 4 but it was a pretty decent game. It was clear this was a game that had a lot of potential so I excused it because it was an early Xbox 360 game. I just played the Lost Planet 2 demo and if the demo is an indication, the game has received nearly no improvement whatsoever. I was really dissapointed because the demo didn't seem to work on its potential whatsoever.

Resident Evil 5 is another good game but the only reason is because of Resident Evil 4's gameplay mechanics. Just about everything that was added in Resident Evil 5 has been terrible. the terrible partner AI, the cover system, the vehicle section, the return to boring generic locations, the clumsy inventory system. I can't think of any addition added in Resident Evil 5 that didn't decrease the enjoyment of the game besides the fact the game can be played co - op.

Street Fighter 4 is another game I just can't get into. It has solid gameplay mechanics and it looks great, but the controls are just terrible. I'm always struggling trying to work with the controls and some moves are just about impossible to pull of. It seems the biggest enemy isn't your opponent, but the controls.

In my opinion, that's just ridiculous. Having to master the controls should not be one of the games challenges.

Comments

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

yea i agree man. Resident Evil 1,2,3,4.. code veroncia, mega man series, street fighter 2, the first dino crisis, where all great games. now it seems like they put out alot of mediocre games and it really sucks i used to love capcom.

gamertag - Swaffle House

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

While Capcom isn't as awesome as it used to be at least their delivering good games.

I loved SFIV (best SF game period), Lost Planet (disagree with your generic remark totally), Dead Rising, RE5 (Only RE2&4 were better) and DMC4(easily better than DMC 1&2).

Can't wait for DR2 and LP2 looked fucking wicked at E3.

Also we have hints from a few Asian SF blogs that a New version of SFIV is in the works for all platforms.

Seems like Capcom is doing fine.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

The entire Monster Hunter franchise is fantastic.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

My only real Capcom dissapointment came when they cancelled the PC, XBOX release of the old board game Talisman.

That sucked.

Other than that I still think they are putting out solid titles.

• SanzenSekaiSanzenSekai Member Posts: 11

I definately agree with you.

DMC4 was one of the worst games I have ever purchased for my 360, Lost Planet is fun but indeed quite generic and SFIV just failed to grab my attention as much as the previous ones, it was the terrible story and end boss that turned me off.

My room mate purchased RE5 being a massive resident evil fan and even though he enjoyed it he was a tad dissapointed with the way resident evil has been heading, he seemed to have more fun with the Mercenaries mode.

The future could be brighter though, we shall see.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a new old school megaman akin to megaman 9, I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Have Played: UO, WoW, GW, FFXI, L2, LotRO, WAR, Aion

Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

Originally posted by SanzenSekai

DMC4 was one of the worst games I have ever purchased for my 360, Lost Planet is fun but indeed quite generic and SFIV just failed to grab my attention as much as the previous ones, it was the terrible story and end boss that turned me off.

My room mate purchased RE5 being a massive resident evil fan and even though he enjoyed it he was a tad dissapointed with the way resident evil has been heading, he seemed to have more fun with the Mercenaries mode.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a new old school megaman akin to megaman 9, I enjoyed that quite a bit.

DMC4 the worst game you purchased on your console? Dude if that's true you must own like no action games then.

DMC4 was a killer game, honestly what action games were better for you?

I loved the combo system in DMC4 the game was a bit easy compared to DMC3 but still pretty awesome.

I also liked LP since it felt like a revamped oldschool action shooter.

As for your SF comment, dude the only SF with a story was Apha 3 with that storymode other than that you didn;t play SF for storyline you jumped into a arcade slapped a quarter down and owned people.

• learislearis Member UncommonPosts: 13

I play sf4 a lot. I think it is by far the best sf game. It has such unique complexities with each characters. But I agree with you about how difficult the controls can be, not to mention that higher damage combos can require you to time button pushing to 1/60th of a second. It's really frustrating, but hey, maybe in the sequel they'll improve that stuff. It was a great comeback for 2d fighters.

• SanzenSekaiSanzenSekai Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by metalhead980

DMC4 the worst game you purchased on your console? Dude if that's true you must own like no action games then.

I loved the combo system in DMC4 the game was a bit easy compared to DMC3 but still pretty awesome.

As for your SF comment, dude the only SF with a story was Apha 3 with that storymode other than that you didn;t play SF for storyline you jumped into a arcade slapped a quarter down and owned people.

The only time I enjoyed myself in DMC4 was when I played Dante and it was more fun and interesting playing Dante in DMC2 and 3 for me anyway, DMC4 had a horrible storyline.

As for SF, I can get the same amount of fun from MVC2 for a fraction of the price tag. I agree SF games are not for the story, but Seth was just plain lazy as an end boss character, soon as MVC2 came out I traded in and never looked back.

Currently Playing: Nothing

Have Played: UO, WoW, GW, FFXI, L2, LotRO, WAR, Aion

Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

Originally posted by metalhead980

The only time I enjoyed myself in DMC4 was when I played Dante and it was more fun and interesting playing Dante in DMC2 and 3 for me anyway, DMC4 had a horrible storyline.

Honestly I've beaten DMC 1,3 &4 so many times on hardest settings I don't even play for story, its all speed and Combo ratings. That's why most of the DMC fans play the game. Also DMC2 was a near epic failure compared to the others the maps were too wide open and the game lost that closed in free roam puzzle feel. In DMC the Devilbringer (Neros arm) brought so much into the game with combo strings. Seriously whats cooler than kicking the shit out of an entire room without ever touching the ground lol. As Dante was a huge step backward in DMC4 after playing with that awesome Arm and its the reason DMC4 is not considered better overall than DMC3.

As for SF, I can get the same amount of fun from MVC2 for a fraction of the price tag. I agree SF games are not for the story, but Seth was just plain lazy as an end boss character, soon as MVC2 came out I traded in and never looked back.

MVC2 is a good fighter but also not as well rounded as the streetfighter series. In MVC1 or 2 you could only play one way, balls to the wall. This took out defensive players and balanced players. Seriously how anyone could be a hardcore fan of a fighter than is basically whoever gets that combo starter or popup first wins is beyond me.

Check out the tournaments for games like SF alpha 3, SF3 and SFIV and they are much more technical than the repetitive 3-4 button tap sequence that MVC1 and 2 use over and over and over and over.

Imo, MVC2 falls in with Darkstalkers and Gultiy gear as above average but not on SFs level.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

tbh i never liked any of their games...but i have noticed less titles from them reaching the shelves at my local stores

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I am disappointed in most companies making consol games these days, I haven't seen a good ending cinamatic in years, and most games even the rpgs are getting shorter and shorter. I beat ODST in under 5 hours, and the ending cinamatic was barely 6 minutes long. I remember the old days when you got a snack for the final boss of a game then sat back with a coke and enjoyed the reward for your work. Even the capcom fighting games had a good ending cinama for most of them.

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

RE5 wasn't as good as RE4, and DMC4 wasn't as good as DMC3. But SFIV was impressive, so hopefully Capcom will continue to release better games in the future.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by learis

I play sf4 a lot. I think it is by far the best sf game. It has such unique complexities with each characters. But I agree with you about how difficult the controls can be, not to mention that higher damage combos can require you to time button pushing to 1/60th of a second. It's really frustrating, but hey, maybe in the sequel they'll improve that stuff. It was a great comeback for 2d fighters.

It's actually about 1/24 of a second (TVs don't display frames as fast as a computer), but still yeah it makes SFIV pretty frustrating.  I'm a pretty hardcore fighting game enthusiast even won some local tournaments, but SFIV executions are extremely difficult for me to pull off.  Aside from the ridiculous 1 frame links, focus attack cancelling as to be one of the most counter-intuitive game mechanics ever.  Press the 2 middle buttons (on a stick) hold for a split second and cancel it with a dash?  Really?  I wish they just copied the roman cancel mechanic from Guilty Gear and used the parrying from focus attacks as it's own seperate mechanic.  The ultras are reduntant (why have a super AND an ultra) and completely imbalanced.

I'm liking Blazblue better.  No one frame links (I believe it's 3 minimum), has the much easier to pull off cancel (hit 3 buttons versus two + hold + dash), has more things that add to advanced play like a barrier gauge (and blocking), burst, ukemi, instant block, air blocking, and counter assault.

Anyway, if you happen to play on Xbox Live and are any good I'm looking for a challenge on either game so send me a PM if you happen to play on Xbox.