Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is Aion doing?

MGoranMGoran Member Posts: 13

Okay, I've been clean from MMO's for about a year and a half, but I'm getting these aweful withdrawel symptoms (just kiddin') and I'm aching for some MMO action.

One of the games I thought about trying is Aion so I've been looking for some decent threads in here to see how people are reacting to Aion atm, but I've found none other than wow/aion-fanboyish threads and I'm quite sick of it.

Can anyone tell me (detailed would be awesome) if this game will be any good or will it 'fail' like WAR/AoC (will many subs unsub for wow again)

Comments

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by MGoran
    Can anyone tell me (detailed would be awesome) if this game will be any good or will it 'fail' like WAR/AoC (will many subs unsub for wow again)

MGoran, that's a really hard question to answer reasonably. I'm sure you'll get many skewed responses both ways.

Aion is a solid game. I don't think its doomed to fail in the next few years, but I certainly don't think its going to "kill" WoW. Its not especially innovative, but its reasonably fun to play if its your kind of game. It is what it is.

There are some WoW players who will never be satisfied with anything -but- WoW.

The best advice I can give you is to find out about the art style, classes, and playstyle, and see if its a game you would like to play. I think it will be around for some time, but I also think there are a large percentage of players who are just playing it to kill time until the 2010 games come out.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

You played WoW before? If you don't want to redo the same levels and combat as you did there with slight alterations, I wouldn't bother trying the game. Wait for original title instead is my suggestion.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Aion is an evolutionary step in the EQ/WoW type game. It's very themepark, guides you along, and aside from a few novel features like rifting and flying, you've done it all before.

That said, it's extremely polished, and the combat/gameplay is exciting and visceral enough to almost certainly keep a loyal playerbase for years to come. Compound that with the fact that Aion has a live dev team roughly twice the size of any other MMO except for Eve-Online, and you have a game with many many years left in its life.

It's a safe buy, if you like that sort of thing.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

everybodys leveling as fast as they can and those that dont are stopped by gold seller and ebay seller 

game combat system as a learning curve to it

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Okay, I've been clean from MMO's for about a year and a half, but I'm getting these aweful withdrawel symptoms (just kiddin') and I'm aching for some MMO action.
    One of the games I thought about trying is Aion so I've been looking for some decent threads in here to see how people are reacting to Aion atm, but I've found none other than wow/aion-fanboyish threads and I'm quite sick of it.

well... you wanted detailed... heres something I wrote before that might help...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/253242/L20-Aion-Review-.html

feel free to post on the tread and bump it ;)

• MGoranMGoran Member Posts: 13

Tyvolus, I'm sorry, I was watching Bladerunner (I have other interests except lurking on forums and whining) so excuse me for having a real life and not being able to have a 1000 posts on every existing forum, oh and by the way, you have 7 posts. :)

Meaning Tyvolus3 = Troll.

And your first post was pretty fail, sorry that I ain't no rich kid that can afford 50$ for a game so easily. :)

Thanks for all the responses and Vesavius, I just opened your thread to read it but Mechtech made me wonder, I'm really looking for something new, think I'll find something new in Aion...?

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Tyvolus3

Originally posted by vesavius

well... you wanted detailed... heres something I wrote before that might help...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/253242/L20-Aion-Review-.html

feel free to post on the tread and bump it ;)

I doubt he will read it.  In all likelihood the OP is a troll just trying to stir the pot.  Everytime a new MMO comes out, someone seems to make an alternate account (OP has what 7 posts) on here just to start a thread like this.  Several replies to his request for info and the OP has not been back since. 

And how many accounts do you have, Mr. 7 Posts?

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

night shift in america server are always full and player still line up to server X 

even if they see the new server is moslty empty

very good game but player are getting impatient  

i love the story 

but since most player skip it here ,i bet most think story is lame 

if they took the time to read and understand what they read they would love the story too

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

All the people who want something original and different... arn't playing any of the MMO's that arnt your standard themepark. Darkfall... Huxley, Crime Craft... on the irony. People need to just be honest with themselves they simply arnt happy with gaming outside of the occasional FPS. .

Secondly I enjoy AION, It's my new love possibly until the 1end of 10' games launch.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I played WAR and AOC at release and this isn't the same.

Aion actually works as intended and is a finished game.  People will be subbing for a few months at least in general.

• RothnirRothnir Member Posts: 41

So far AION is a ton of fun and I hate not having more time to level. Apart from the only big issue so far, the queues, which has been brought down a lot or even erase on lesser populated servers, the client and the servers are rock solid.

The game itself offers a beautiful animated world that is different from WoW and WAR, despite being also in the more cartoon'ish looking segment. The standard UI works pretty damn well, it is a ton of fun to make your own char and it is really userfriendly.

The "felt" downside so far is that sometimes a level flies by and sometimes it seems to take ages. Never had this feeling so often in WoW. But I am only level 16, so I'll see how it goes in the next days, especially after 20.

Overall this is a game that will keep me busy after the free-month has run out and I am interested in seeing how the PvP will be once I am 50 and it is the main thing to do.

First game since WoW that has a chance to stay alive with a healthy customer base for some time.

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

Im having a blast... most people that are enjoying the game wont come to forums.. since they are having so much fun playing

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

• mlbsluggermlbslugger Member Posts: 49

I won't deal with ques period. When they go away I may come back and try it out. I paid for beta access and waited in so many ques I never got much of a chance to play. As one other said before, aside from flying and a couple of minor novel additions, you have done it all before.  The world is stunning, very polised for sure.  I was initially intrigued with the in flight combat, etc. and it definitely doesn't look like a cheap thrown together game like so many coming out now.  I think for those that realize the mmo industry in general has stagnated, I honestly feel it's due to gamers constantly insisting on the same crap in every single game they play and forcing developers into corners the can't create their way out of.   I am going to wait for FFXIV instead and keep on with EQ2.

• oskironmaideoskironmaide Member Posts: 336

:D aion is an awesome game... doesnt reinvent the wheel , but it adds some wings

If you watch The Karate Kid backwards it's about this karate champ that just kinda slowly becomes a pussy and ends up moving back to Jersey

• adoniskevadoniskev Member Posts: 92

Aion is, "okay."  I still love wow, there is something nostalgic, story driven, and rewarding that wow has that Aion is simply missing.  Perhaps WOW is a tired beast, but a beast no less that has indured countless, "WOW killers," that have failed to slay it.  Regardless of the bias opinions "respect," is sometimes a term that needs to be used more often towards any game.  While some games fail, others indure and others simply never make it to your hard drive... the immense work, dedication and endless hours of sleepless nights are not appreciated by many of us or some of us are just oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes.  However this is to be expected in this industry but as consumers thats not our problem right?  I'll leave that answer up to you.

I played Aion during beta and to be quite honest it was a respectable amount of fun.  Yes, there is grinding and that is to be expected in any mmorpg. 

The so called, "Flying," was to me the most dissapointing.  Only a few months before Aion was released in China, Aion misguided its newcomers by advertising trailers of characters flying freely anywhere, to my surprise that is not the case. 

"Flying," is more like gliding.  Only in certain areas can you fly, as a matter a fact 80 percent of the time your gliding.  To be more precise your character spreads its wings and just hovers near the ground.  Therefore the lore and whatever story that is behind Aion is really irrelevant to me...as I am "Supposed," to be portrayed as a heavenly being with wings.  Nothing in the story says, "...and so the inhabitants can only glide...dot dot dot."  Just to be a little silly, your going to feel like a chicken most of the time...

The "Wings," was the major attraction to me if not everyones.  Such wonderful animated wings with some amazing upgrades and you really can not show them off where it really counts. 

Now dont get me wrong the "Rifts," that open up are fun, however if you find yourself in a mission be prepared to be slaughtered if your not prepared.  You do get a warning, though be forewarned questing seems to halt for a while...until everyone is sent back.   Only because someone is trying to kill you all the time... Again do not  think your wings are going to help...you will be running looking for a little hill to try and glide away...by that time it will be too late. 

When some say "Aion," can not be compared to WOW that is just nonsense.  From what I know they are both "MMORPG." Regardless of the style, graphics, music, storyline...its the same concept no matter how you prepare it. 

"There are just so many ways you can prepare an egg..."

Should you spend your 49.99 on the game?  If you played the beta or had a trial or...have a friend that has it already you should know that answer... however if your new  I would say, "Try it out," first than decide. 

As for me its a no, and even with WOW new content I have not played it for almost a year and will not be going back anytime soon. My level 80 sexy killer female elf priest will stay in her slumber, until I recieve my next, "Come back 10 day trail." In addition  there are so many F2P games out there that currently have my attention.  Not to mention a few other games that I am currently already paying for.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by adoniskev

Aion is, "okay."  I still love wow, there is something nostalgic, story driven, and rewarding that wow has that Aion is simply missing. 

It's interesting you would say that because personally so far Aion seems much better in that area far as being story driven although still lacking compared to LotR whcih I always found to be the best in that category.

Don't get me wrong, I loved WoW but I never got how people thought it was so "story driven".  I hardly ever felt that  was the case when I played the game.  Still a great game though, within it's own right, just always found that comment by some a bit odd.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

A little early for this question, Get back to us after the first month is up so we can see how much the drop off is.  So far the servers are packed.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

The game is what it is.

Very polished, feature-complete PvPvE themepark MMO. As for the future -  It'll do better in the West than Lineage 2, anyway.

• MGoranMGoran Member Posts: 13

Ok, I made my decission, I'll wait till' the first month is over or the second, I'm not into queues right now. :)

Thanks for all the serious responses and let those who are probably still going to elementary school (Tyvolus3) be banned. :)

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

This game is VERY traditional. Honestly there is NOTHING about this game so far that is special in any way. Just so you are clear on that part before you think this is something NEW which every game seems to be if you only listen to those who gets paid to think about it.

However, so far this game is definitly FUN. This comes from someone who retired MMORPG's after the SWG scam because all other options were too "repetetive".

I have to note that I am only level 19 so far and that people say the biggest grind begins post lvl 20. So I will not try to comment on anything else than what I really HAVE experienced.

Questing is very ok though I am beginning to feel the gaps now, where it feels there should have been more quests around or the ones existing already should be more rewarding in terms of xp.

However leveling really doesn't take long so far. 19 lvls in a couple of days out of 50? That feels reasonable to me.

Items are ok, not too overpowered and even the ultra rares only seems marginally better than others. You can modify your gear pretty much as you like with manastones that you input into the gear so you can boost whatever attributes you like.

Grouping is ok aswell. Since theres so few classes its more likely you get a spot in a group. Unlike some other games with "too many classes" that only wants specific classes to fill their group slots.

I have sadly not tried PvP besides the Arena (FFA pvp with people on YOUR side). And it was the most unbalanced thin I've ever experienced. I play a Ranger (ranged DPS class) and I could seriously not do anything against the mage casters. So many CC abilities makes you stand there and SLEEP or get STUNNED for unreasonable long times (up to 10 seconds I believe). However this is an issue later on I dont really think though. I've seen POTIONS that removes CC states... So time will tell.

Overall this game is very OK to me. A good past-time activity while waiting for bigger titles. I feel optimistic about what is to come and I can stand a little grind here and there as long as grouping has been as much fun as it has been so far. And whatever the people sounds like in the general chat they really are nice when grouping with them, most of them anyways

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Thanks for all the responses and Vesavius, I just opened your thread to read it but Mechtech made me wonder, I'm really looking for something new, think I'll find something new in Aion...?

If you are looking for something that isnt an EQ inspired hotbar based PvE/ PvE traditional MMORPG then Aion probably isnt for you.

That dosent make it bad, it just means that it dosent suit your needs.

I mean, it's an very well done EQ inspired hotbar based PvE/ PvE traditional MMORPG, but thats what it is. lets be honest.  It isnt about offering an open sandbox experience with player freedom to build a world from scratch, it is about a being a quest driven themepark experience that wants to show you a good time, and it does that very very well.

I can't say whats fun for you, it being subjective and all, but I can say it's very fun for me.

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492

I'm enjoying it. Coming from Age Of Conan it was a hard change. However; my uncle really wanted me to play. He bought the game for me so I couldn't turn it down. It's fun to be honest. I made a midget looking character called Ericcartman on Siera or w/e that server is. A lot of fun, 1-6 in a few minutes. Gonna level some more today. Can't wait until level 10 to fly and level 25 to of course pvp! 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

...very long queues. Beyond that who knows since it can take hours to log into the game.

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Illyssia

...very long queues. Beyond that who knows since it can take hours to log into the game.

I'm not going to take up for Aion in many posts, however this is a lie. I have logged in over 4 times over the past 2 days with no Queues in the US servers. Logged in 2 servers just fine.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by xfrozenx

Originally posted by Illyssia

I'm not going to take up for Aion in many posts, however this is a lie. I have logged in over 4 times over the past 2 days with no Queues in the US servers. Logged in 2 servers just fine.

I have had ques just they lasted for maybe 10 min tops