Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Left 4 Dead 2 banned in Australia

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

"The game contains realistic, frenetic and unrelenting violence which is inflicted upon "the Infected" who are living humans infected with a rabies-like virus that causes them to act violently... it is the use of the "melee" weapons such as the crowbar, axe, chainsaw and Samurai sword which inflict the most damage.

These close in attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore. Projectile shots to infected humans can cause abdominal wounds which can reveal innards or even cause intestines to spill from the wounds."

LOL

LINK

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I lol'd, they actually made it sound awesome, if only...

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Silly Aussies.

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

sucks to be a gamer in australia

gamertag - Swaffle House

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Typical nanny state gone wrong.

Really, what's the difference between burning books and banning video games?

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by abbaba

Typical nanny state gone wrong.

Really, what's the difference between burning books and banning video games?

No difference at all. It's insane and obscene to see a modern 'democracy' acting this way.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Wow, sucks to be an Aus

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by Thenarius

I lol'd, they actually made it sound awesome, if only...

Exactly! Is OP sure that this excerpt isn't actually from Left4dead 2's ad campaign? =P

By the way, for as cool as Australia is I feel really sorry for their gamers.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• havok527havok527 Member Posts: 80

They should change their rating system for games

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Man I do feel sorry that their government sucks ass by trying to control stuff like that.  If that ever happened in America Id be pissed and I would turn into a damn Pirate then.  Fuck big government, I say do whatever the fuck you want as long as your not hurting anyone its cool.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

"Left 4 Dead 2 could still see sale in Australia should the offending gore be altered. The OFLC originally refused to classify Fallout 3 due to its depiction of morphine, but Bethesda's RPG received an MA 15+ rating once the drug was changed to the fictional "Med-X." Fallout 3's graphic "strong violence" was deemed within the limits of the rating."

Lol'ed about this part of the story as well. Shows how broken the system really is. 

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Man I do feel sorry that their government sucks ass by trying to control stuff like that.  If that ever happened in America Id be pissed and I would turn into a damn Pirate then.  Fuck big government, I say do whatever the fuck you want as long as your not hurting anyone its cool.

You mean like buying alcohol when you are 18..? Countries ban a vast array of stuff, usually for the same reason: Those who do not consume product make the laws. It's insanely stupid, but it's been around since ancient Greece. (Germany banned Wolfenstein btw)

That said, poor Aussies.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

Stories like this make me consider acts like Columbine and the crying out against violent videogames Americans had at the time. Yet today videogames are at least ten times more violent and graphic as the games those guys were playing (Doom I think it was) and save for the rare occasion (Manhunt 2 anyone?) people in the states have come to terms with obscenely violent games that are being made today. I guess what I wonder is, exactly how many acts of violence that can be linked to videogames has Australia had for them to tow as hard of a line as they do?

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Any violence committed by a person "due" to a video game is more the fault of stupidity than the video game itself. They should be banning stupidity before they ban video games, but if stupidity was banned, the world would be a lot less populated.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Any violence committed by a person "due" to a video game is more the fault of stupidity than the video game itself. They should be banning stupidity before they ban video games, but if stupidity was banned, the world would be a lot less populated.

I agree there are a lot of stupid people on this earth and I just don't get it how people can play a game and then think they can get away with it in real life. www.break.com/usercontent/2008/4/7-Year-Old-Steals-Grandma-s-SUV-For-Joyride-495358.html 

This is one kid that should not have had his hands on GTA lol.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Violent people commit violence, games do not. If you can't distinguish between fantasy and reality it isn't the game that's the problem, it is the person. I've played plenty of violent games and killed real persons in combat, but have never been in a fight or hit a person. The whole argument surrounding this is not grounded in science or reality, just through spurious correlation.

• nubsnubs Member Posts: 59

Censorship exists in all "free" states. Its the degree that has us fooled.