Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free To Play

2»

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

If you like lore and exploration its a good game. If you like the ability to solo and group when you feel like it, its a good game. If you enjoy good, realistic graphics, its a good game. PVP is available but I cannot speak of it as I do not play LOTRO for PVP.  But if one does not like anything I mentioned then i guess its not a good game.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

People that burn through content faster than it can be produced are the bane of every mmo. If a producer is worth his salary, they will ignore these vile creatures and put out content at a pace that allows for quality.

In other words, if you buy a game, play it day and night and reach max level in quick order you only have yourself to blame for your boredom.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

If you like lore and exploration its a good game. If you like the ability to solo and group when you feel like it, its a good game. If you enjoy good, realistic graphics, its a good game. PVP is available but I cannot speak of it as I do not play LOTRO for PVP.  But if one does not like anything I mentioned then i guess its not a good game.

The problem is that there is no one willing to group for quests they have already done.  It was fine when I leveled up and the game was brand new, but now, unless you have a guild full of really patient people with lots of alts, you are pretty much limited to the solo content to get you leveled up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

it is worth the fee. As for the graphics it is sometimes brilliant and other times plain ugly.

The bacground really looks great but the avatars doesn't really seems to fit in there. And as the OP said, Turbine should do as Bioware (and Funcom) and make new animations with a motion suit instead.

The game is just like EQ2 not a PvP game. If you are into PvP (or like being evil) you should play something else.

But the game got a really nice playerbase, if I wouldn't play EQ2 now I would play LOTRO. The thing that is the tie breaker is the fact lthat I kinda feel like a npc in LOTRO.

I just think they should have set the game in a different age, or at least a few years before the books. And they should allow players to play evil also.

Still, they do have the original dungeon :)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Loke666

The bacground really looks great but the avatars doesn't really seems to fit in there. And as the OP said, Turbine should do as Bioware (and Funcom) and make new animations with a motion suit instead.

Its easier to do good animations when you only have "humans", hard to find dwarfs and hobbits to use with motion suit ;)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by skarwolf

This game should be because its not worth the subscription.  The character animations are amateurish.  Improvements to the game are shot down by anal retentive lore nerds who rabidly denounce any variation from the game by devs although it might improve gameplay.
    Pvp is laughable with monster play.  You might start at 60th level but your monster character is next to useless.  All they do is stand around zerging each other all day.

cry more?

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

People that burn through content faster than it can be produced are the bane of every mmo. If a producer is worth his salary, they will ignore these vile creatures and put out content at a pace that allows for quality.
    In other words, if you buy a game, play it day and night and reach max level in quick order you only have yourself to blame for your boredom.

I disagree.  I think they just need to make sure that top level players have a compelling reason to keep playing between new content additions.  I prefer that be done through good, meaningful endgame PvP, but there are also a lot of things they can do for the PvE crowd.  A good player driven economy, with a deep crafting system, player housing and cites... sandbox elements in general will add the the endgame playability of a PvE game.  I think that while turbine tries in that department, they tend to underestimate the importance of those types of features.  While they have housing, it's those lame instanced neighborhoods.  It's not the instancing of the player housing that's off-putting, but the fact that the instances are identical.  I was pretty happy with the c rafting system overall, but when I played, I felt like it lacked depth. 

• mokoleusmokoleus Member Posts: 142

i still don't know why people find the animation horrid, looks great to me. but then, i make sure animation smoothness is maxed. as for pvp, man, pvp wasn't even in the game when it launched. it's nothing more then a mini game they added for the handful of people that wanted it. now, don't get me wrong, i'd love if they allowed you to be evil, but i'm not holding my breath. it is a pve game, and i'm happy that it is. the pvp crowd that play mmos, tend to ruin the game, with their constant bitching and whining  about class balance bullshit. i've enjoyed some pvp, in fact, WoWs pvp before the battlegrounds was pretty cool, world pvp can rock, arena style pvp, is best saved for fps. let's hope blizzard doesn't buy turbine, all they do is listen to the biggest whiners and ruin the game for the quieter folk.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

Pvp = Mvp and it was in the game at launch.  I beta tested it.  You could join at level 10, originally you had to run to Bree and talk to a monster player npc to join as a monster in ettinmoors.  As I learned upon trying the game last week they provided an option from the main menu.  

Aside for some new traits and abilities mvp is exactly the same as it was in beta.  I could care less if you don't like pvp or not or how it fits into LOTRO lore or not.  I was a paying customer I stated what I did not like, its my opinion.

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170

They should make WOW free to play ;)

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by skarwolf

This game should be because its not worth the subscription.  The character animations are amateurish.  Improvements to the game are shot down by anal retentive lore nerds who rabidly denounce any variation from the game by devs although it might improve gameplay.
    Pvp is laughable with monster play.  You might start at 60th level but your monster character is next to useless.  All they do is stand around zerging each other all day.

For me, the game is free to play. I bought a lifetime membership the month the game came out, and haven't looked back since.