Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your opinion on Mabinogi?

JrgsubzeroJrgsubzero Member Posts: 6

I'm curious as to what the people on this forum think about Mabinogi and it's features/combat system.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/ For those that don't know it.

Comments

• MekuchuMekuchu Member Posts: 2

The graphics are unique, all the systems are unique, with a very intricate storyline. Though it may be expensive if you're insistent on having full access to the gameplay every 3 weeks. If you're ok with not being totally dependant on resurrections, or advanced play items,  And you don't require a new set of AP every 3 weeks. You can still  get a bit more AP by stickin' aorund for  a bit. On average, it's 20-25 dollars every 6-10 weeks at minimum. It isn't nescessary either, you can pay 10$ every 15 weeks if you prefer. As long as you aren't too uptight about being one of the strongest, then it won't cost much. You can even play forever without paying. As for the cooler hairstyles, eyes, mouths, and colour skins,  If you have any skill with style and colour coordination, you won't look like a rainbow lover. Overall, I love this game, one reason being I pay about 20-30$ every 6 weeks.  Obviously much cheaper than P2P games.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Mekuchu

The graphics are unique, all the systems are unique, with a very intricate storyline. Though it may be expensive if you're insistent on having full access to the gameplay every 3 weeks. If you're ok with not being totally dependant on resurrections, or advanced play items,  And you don't require a new set of AP every 3 weeks. You can still  get a bit more AP by stickin' aorund for  a bit. On average, it's 20-25 dollars every 6-10 weeks at minimum. It isn't nescessary either, you can pay 10$ every 15 weeks if you prefer. As long as you aren't too uptight about being one of the strongest, then it won't cost much. You can even play forever without paying. As for the cooler hairstyles, eyes, mouths, and colour skins,  If you have any skill with style and colour coordination, you won't look like a rainbow lover. Overall, I love this game, one reason being I pay about 20-30$ every 6 weeks.  Obviously much cheaper than P2P games.

I don't see where you came to the conclusion that it's "much cheaper" than P2P games.

You pay 30 bucks every 6 weeks? Well, I pay 30 dollars every 8 weeks (2 months) on my P2P game. So, unless you typically spend only 20 dollars every 6 weeks versus 30, "you're" the one who's paying more.

• belkanabelkana Member Posts: 3

I loved Mabinogi to death.

Mabinogi has a lot of things I would love to see applied to other games. The variety of skills for one, and the weight system. I love that what you eat impacts the size of your character.

Downfall is that for the major storyline you need to be paying. Which is too bad because it is thrilling. Plus if you want to run a guild, you have to pay.

I put out about $200 for 3 months of gameplay, because I needed all the special stuff. I majored as a tailor so having the weekly dye, and the extra storage was important. Plus I was a guild leader. It just became too expensive for me.

I think it'd be better if they went P2P rather than having to spend so much on rebirths, and pets. A pet costs from $4-$10. A rebirth $8-$10. So trying to keep up with new pets, and reborthing to max your skills is costly, and then paying out for Advanced Play, well it just gets ridiculous.

I liked the combat. I loved that it didn't have to be just running in and hitting things, and that the monsters had a bit of AI. It gave it more challenge.

I honestly think more games need to look at the features of Mabinogi. If for a second we take out the whole having to pay for the better features, can you imagine? Wonderful story line, additional quests, hugely customizable character, variety of pets, variety of skills, ability to craft items, no fixed classes, and ability to compose your own music. When they say "live the fantasy life" they really mean it (except in the case of gay marriage of course). You don't have to be a warrior or mage, you can cook, tailoring, craft, mine, harvest, forge, and so on. Honestly Mabinogi is the kind of game I've been waiting for since I was born. It was nice to have the freedom to go defeat a dungeon, bake some cake, and then save the Goddess.

• SteelraSteelra Member Posts: 1

I love this game, I'm totally addicted to it. But I dont pay money all the time to play it, as my parents are cheapskates and wont let me have an allowance. But I'll be making money soon. Anyways, I think it is the best game I ever played, and without a stupid monthly fee makes it pretty affordable. As long as you can be good at the game without paying the company for added extra's, then your probably ok at these games. I'm currently attempting to become a pally, but i really am just failing it. Oh well, at least my firebolt is rank 7.

GO MAGING! WOOOOOT!

And the reason i suck and im not a high level is cuz my mom wont let me on pc at her house, so i can only level up 4 days out of every 14. I played since g1, and i still only just broke 100. Im sad now.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net is the best free mmo game EVUR. with the highest graphics too.

• OddFireOddFire Member Posts: 1

Game is great no matter what u say the hole story that its reached is well made alltho yes it does require some cash BUT not really do u need it to be a good player it all depends on ur tipe of play i for myself FOR FREE have maneged more then people i know that pay, it all depends on the way u need and like to play.

I strongly recomend it specially for those that are anime fans, its got great colors, good lighting and nice story, and if u dont like or relly dont care about anime (like me) u'll still really enjoy and have fun with this game.

i myself have become adicted and havent stoped playing....

Got pally with no pets or help and in a strong guild all without spending a penny

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I'd say that it has some interesting core mechanics and is worth playing if you don't want to play anything else, even for someone who mostly just plays P2P games.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ConqConq Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by belkana

I might re-download it.  It really is a therapeutic game to play with the kids.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

my opinion is..   my continent is ip blocked, thanks, much thanks mabinogi.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by belkana

Mabinogi has a lot of things I would love to see applied to other games. The variety of skills for one, and the weight system. I love that what you eat impacts the size of your character.
    Downfall is that for the major storyline you need to be paying. Which is too bad because it is thrilling. Plus if you want to run a guild, you have to pay.
    I put out about $200 for 3 months of gameplay, because I needed all the special stuff. I majored as a tailor so having the weekly dye, and the extra storage was important. Plus I was a guild leader. It just became too expensive for me.
    I think it'd be better if they went P2P rather than having to spend so much on rebirths, and pets. A pet costs from $4-$10. A rebirth $8-$10. So trying to keep up with new pets, and reborthing to max your skills is costly, and then paying out for Advanced Play, well it just gets ridiculous.
    I liked the combat. I loved that it didn't have to be just running in and hitting things, and that the monsters had a bit of AI. It gave it more challenge.
    I honestly think more games need to look at the features of Mabinogi. If for a second we take out the whole having to pay for the better features, can you imagine? Wonderful story line, additional quests, hugely customizable character, variety of pets, variety of skills, ability to craft items, no fixed classes, and ability to compose your own music. When they say "live the fantasy life" they really mean it (except in the case of gay marriage of course). You don't have to be a warrior or mage, you can cook, tailoring, craft, mine, harvest, forge, and so on. Honestly Mabinogi is the kind of game I've been waiting for since I was born. It was nice to have the freedom to go defeat a dungeon, bake some cake, and then save the Goddess.

men i looked this up (very fast )and i didnt try it .but i ve been checking more toroughly and this game doesnt look to serious 

it might be wahat i need a bit of sillyness,over all what i read is basicly what you wrote so ill give a good try this time

• monotowmonotow Member Posts: 2

btw rebirth is free if u hit age 20 in the game.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

As far as the game goes itself, its great, the combat (pve) system is unique, and the freedom of skill choices opens up a 'how do you want to play' idea. Also with the life skills, you open up even more options.

pvp on the other hand is pretty much one sided. He who shoots first wins. Melee don't stand much chance, and once u die its all a gank fest to kill you as you try to stand back up(with almost 100 % injury and 1 hp, so no chance to pot spam to full health)

The one thing which WILL make me quit this game (if it hasn't already, am taking a semi break atm) is the rampet cheating and botting. Nexon does absolutly nothing to stop the cheaters, and recently some of the high ranking/most well know players have started to bot(which dosen't make sense, the way mabi is made, the 'level grinding' u see in other games is tame in mabi, if it gets a bit slow u just rebirth, keep skills, and start over)

The other thing which can scare off players is the real diffrence between paying and non paying customers. Right now after Iria its not too bad, since you can get a free rebirth at age 20, go to 17, and rebirth every week for free. But non paying customers have no pets(each costs between 3-12 bucks) no nao services(when you have nao, and die, she will res u at 100% health and bless all gears) and non paying customers, after level 30, cannot set up shops, or purchuse houses, etc.

2 fixes needed: Slightly more content for non payers(maybe a pet or two reward for quests) and SOMETHING done about the cheating.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I liked the combat well enough, it does take some getting used too, but i remember trying to up my tailoring skill and making something like 200 bolt of silk, something like that, and my tailoring didn't go up at all. well i progressed through it maybe half way.

I got a bout 10 combat skills while doing it though.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I liked the combat well enough, it does take some getting used too, but i remember trying to up my tailoring skill and making something like 200 bolt of silk, something like that, and my tailoring didn't go up at all. well i progressed through it maybe half way.
    I got a bout 10 combat skills while doing it though.

I think You mean weaving(which BLOWS chunks to rank at rank 7)

Tailoring is making finished things like cloathing, leather armors, etc.

Weaving makes the ingrediants for tailoring and blacksmithing(silk, fabric, etc)

• Drag0nBlaz3Drag0nBlaz3 Member Posts: 33

Call me an idiot, but this is the first MMO I have ever spent money on.  I just like it that much.  Although I never paid for the special services like Nao Resurrection or anything.  I don't see why anyone would complain about not having them for free, I mean it's not like you get resurrections or items that great for free in any other game.  It only lasts 30 days anyway and I don't think I'm stupid enough to spend money on something I can't keep.

The game is great though.

• qweasd170qweasd170 Member Posts: 31

I actually payed for this game too. I've never payed for any free game myself, but in Mabinogi, there's pets that you can buy. Now, the unique thing about pets in Mabinogi is that you can either play as your character and summon your pets, or you can play as your pet and level up and learn new abilities. If your playing with friends, you can also get 2-seated mounts so you and a friend could ride, or anyone who joins your party, for that matter. Another useful thing about pets is AI. Your pet can automatically heal you and assist you in combat, so you don't have to pay attention to your combat and the pets. Instead, the pet can be of use instead of the usual free mmorpg pet which just stands around waiting for you to ride it again.

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Teiman

my opinion is..   my continent is ip blocked, thanks, much thanks mabinogi.

And that is exacly what i said too. It stumps me that they haven't even started on the idea of europe servers... The bastards.

• darkb457darkb457 Member CommonPosts: 47

Mabinogi's one of the best. Graphics aren't really my style, but it's combat system rivals DDO. Also, I love how they took a completely classless approach and how they did it. The crafting system's cool but it's not really one of the highlights. I love how it lets people write their own songs, but it's VERY difficult. With this, MegaTen, the street racing genre AND hub & instance out there, I'm shocked every time I hear anything about Blizzard except that they're shutting down.

• shardineashardinea Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Drag0nBlaz3

Call me an idiot, but this is the first MMO I have ever spent money on.  I just like it that much.  Although I never paid for the special services like Nao Resurrection or anything.  I don't see why anyone would complain about not having them for free, I mean it's not like you get resurrections or items that great for free in any other game.  It only lasts 30 days anyway and I don't think I'm stupid enough to spend money on something I can't keep.
    The game is great though.

Lol... same.  No, seriously.  Before Mabi, I kept telling myself that I would never spend money on an online game.  There went my morals.  But I suppose that's a tribute to how great Mabi really is.  Personally, I would prefer the amazing graphics that can be found for this game on it's Asian sister server (gosh if people only knew...), but the graphics are far from bad.  Skills are pretty cool looking, and if I do say so myself, I think Falcon is the coolest thing since sliced bread.  And the fact that my fox can take down monsters that I can't, all by himself--call me crazy, but I think that's both outrageously unfair and amazingly cool.  But when my pride starts hurting, I just log in as my fox and I feel all better.

But perhaps the best thing about this game is that it encourages teams of both character and animal.  With parties you can tackle dungeons that you wouldn't dream of even setting foot in alone, and kill monsters that would easily kill you in one hit.  This game thrives on letting you do the impossible, and enjoy yourself while doing it.

~ Shardinea

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Interesting combat, unique approach to dungeons, very cool stylized graphics but too much yapyapyapstory for me. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?