Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torn

ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

I have followed FE on and off for several months, and am now torn between playing it and Aion.  I was thinking about subbing to both and working it out from there, which is still an option, but playing 2 brand new games is never an easy task for somebody that works 12 hour days.  I love the post-apocalyptic setting of the game, as its so refreshing to see something new and not overdone.  I love FPS as well, and play them regularly on my xbox.  All in all, I think FE might be a game I could really get into, but was hoping for some feedback from people who have played both and chosen one. 

I have read several of the post-beta reveiews found on the forum, and most seem pretty unbiased and fair to the game.  I understand it has flaws, and Im not looking for an in depth review here.  Im more just looking for some insight from people who can give me opinions on the 2 games ;]  Thanks.

Comments

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I know you can progress in Fallen Earth offline (crafting) and I think Aion has offline jobs? So you can play both part time =)

I'd personally would go for Fallen Earth. It is something different and that is probably a good thing.

I suppose the deciding factor would be how much you want to/intend to PvP. I feel that Aion would be the better of the two in PvP regards.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I can't really comment on Aion since I haven't played it yet.

I found FE interesting. I liked the feel of the world. The opening story pulled me into the game, but later on it just fizzled for me. I couldn't get into the combat. The heavy questing to make sure you get your AP put me off a little. I'm kind of getting sick of MMOs where the only way to progress is to quest. I like to quest sometimes, but not when it is the sole viable path.

Would have liked a more epic like quest connecting the tutorial story with purely optional questing for progression. The fps like combat was not my favorite either. I had no problem running the game (and this was beta). I found the game to be pretty solid actually, just not for me.

If you like to quest, and fps'ish combat, and since you like the setting, FE probably would be a good pickup for you. Also, it would give Aion a chance to die down a bit since I heard it is really congested and you can play that one next, hehe.

Hah, just realized I'm recommending a game I don't personally like.

Oh, also, I am a bit burned out on MMOs, so that is possible why I didn't enjoy FE, but I really think it was just the combat.

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

If you want to try both but dont have the time IMHO Aion is a fast shot game. I have a feeling it'll get boring for most people after a month or two, but the pvp game might be fun for a while.

Fe will keep you MUCH longer its a lot deeper and more entertaining in the long run, but it has bugs that it needs to iron out yet.

If you got the cash then go ahead with Aion for now it'll keep you entertained for a few months until our bored then get FE which will be much more polished.

If your bored with WOW, AOC etc etc then forget Aion its more of the same and just get FE now.

FE is a great game and I find myself thinking about it work, during dinner...and its been a while since a MMO has grabbed me like that.

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Hey Parameter:

I play both.

They are just about as different as you can possibly make two MMOs.

Let me try and give you some food for thought...

Controls
    ---------
    Aion - Very generic MMO third-person controls. Skill bar. The only innovations in combat are really flight and movement effects to attack and defense. BTW: You can attack while flying.
    FE - Third and First-Person play. You will want to be in FPS mode to fire ranged weapons, if not all the time. You will be toggling skills from a skill bar along with all the standard FPS controls. BTW: You can fire from horseback and vehicles.

Graphics
    --------
    Aion - Beautiful, Asian styled graphics with bright pastels and lots of shadow. Good animations.
    FE - The engine is older, but the environments are so different that it is hard to compare the two. Where Aion is stylized beauty and light and shadow, FE is dust and brambles and hot sunlight.

This comparison is like asking which is better, the world of Mad Max, or the world of an Anime film. Both engines are quite good. The FE animations will need some tweaking but I'm sure they'll get to it.

Questing
    --------
    Aion - Linear questing through intermediate levels. Mostly solo play or small groups. Grinding works too. Its easy to see where to go next.
    FE - Sandbox questing with multiple starting towns. All are accessible by walking later on. Grinding doesn't do much. Choices affect your character progression and future quests.

Storyline
    ---------
    Aion - Game integrates you into the larger world storyline within tutorial level. At the end of the tutorial, you find out that you're fated to die.
    FE - Game integrates you into the larger world storyline within tutorial level. At the end of the tutorial, you find out that you're fated to die. ^^

Character Development
    ---------------------
    Aion - Linear. You pick a faction, a class and later a subclass. These are permanent. You can tweak your build with equipment, stigmas, and skill choices.
    FE - Open. Characters earn skill points for completing quests, old-school pen and paper RPG style. They can be distributed to stats or skills at varying costs. This has to be carefully thought through - there are no resets. Mutations play an effect, too.

Factions
    --------
    Aion - Two factions, light and dark. Worlds are very similar with different terrain and cultures. All classes can be part of each faction.
    FE - Many factions with conflicting alliances and objectives. Characters should spend points in skills useful or standard to their selected faction.

Voices and Music
    ----------------
    Aion - Music is very good, voices are not terrific - in fact, they are a pet peeve for many players.
    FE - In my opinion, stellar music and voices.

Character customization
    -----------------------
    Aion - Sandbox-y from head to toe. No characters should look alike unless people select defaults. Think Oblivion or Fallout.
    FE - One body type for each gender, about 20 hair and face choices, and accessories like tattoos and piercings. Characters will look fairly similar, but they -are- clones...(?)

Crafting
    --------
    Aion - Characters can learn multiple trade skills and there is a quest system that helps cheaply level skills. The skills are very standard RPG / MMO trades. If the character has enough items, they can be left crafting AFK. Gathering items provides EXP.
    FE - Crafting takes realistic times. This means anything from several minutes to real life days. However, you can actually leave your character crafting and they will continue doing so while you are logged out. Stats play a part in crafting ability. Crafting provides EXP.

Community
    ---------
    Aion - No GMs in sight. A good playerbase and a 13-year-old-omg-i-miss-wow playerbase.
    FE - GMs in every channel willing to help. Volunteer new player assistants. Mostly mature playerbase.

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

Fantastic replys, and I appreciate them all.  Especially to the above poster, I thank you for your insight ;]  I am actually currently playing Aion, and have been since beta, so I know a bit about the game.  So far, Aion is a more difficult version of wow with shinier graphics, which is both good and bad.  I think I will end up buying FE also and playing them both for a couple of months until I figure out which of the 2 I like better...I guess, as they say, practice makes perfect and that seems fitting for my current predicament ;]  Thanks again guys.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Go for Fallen Earth. It is finally an MMO that breathes some new life into the genre, following in the wake of Darkfall. Aion is just... same old song and dance.  

Originally posted by Parameter
    Fantastic replys, and I appreciate them all.  Especially to the above poster, I thank you for your insight ;]  I am actually currently playing Aion, and have been since beta, so I know a bit about the game.  So far, Aion is a more difficult version of wow with shinier graphics, which is both good and bad.  I think I will end up buying FE also and playing them both for a couple of months until I figure out which of the 2 I like better...I guess, as they say, practice makes perfect and that seems fitting for my current predicament ;]  Thanks again guys.

That's 100% what I'm doing, and its also great to switch games during both of their long crafting waits.

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

"FE - In my opinion, stellar music and voices."

LOL the npc's still make me laugh with the crap they say.

"I once killed a tech with a rock...now thats what you call irony."

"Techs eat babies! They DO! Do you see any babies around?"

"I took this off a dead tech...buts thats ok...becuase he was dead."

Agreed on the music, next to Age of Conan it has the best immersive soundtracks around.

Originally posted by blakavar
    "FE - In my opinion, stellar music and voices."
    LOL the npc's still make me laugh with the crap they say.
    "I once killed a tech with a rock...now thats what you call irony."
    "Techs eat babies! They DO! Do you see any babies around?"
    "I took this off a dead tech...buts thats ok...becuase he was dead."
    Agreed on the music, next to Age of Conan it has the best immersive soundtracks around.

You have to hear how bad the voices are in Aion. At least they -tried- in Fallen Earth. The one-liners are campy, but I think they meant it to be that way (a la Fallout).