Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now is the time to try Age of Conan if you are interested

Not sure if this was posted earlier.  But as a part of their Direct 2 Drive turns 5 celebration, they are offering Age of Conan for $5.  It looks like fileplanet still has a Age of Conan trial also.  So if you get the trial, you can basically play the game for 37 days for only $5.  Not a bad deal at all.  The sale for the rpgs and mmorpgs runs for this week.  Next week it is another catagory.

http://www.direct2drive.com/6/6132/product/Buy-Age-of-Conan:-Hyborian-Adventures-Download

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice find they have some other good games at $5 too ! thanks

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Given the statistical history of the game regarding subscribers, chance are good you'll be throwing away 5 dollars.

If you want to try it, use the free trial.

• minitarominitaro Member Posts: 42

$5 on a game, compare that to paying for a movie or any other form of entertainment (say beer)

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

Dunno, some days I feel MMO players are the cheapest people on earth =)

Sales are weird on digital items though. I mean it's not like they have to move inventory.

Anywho, thanks for pointing out the sale!

• minitarominitaro Member Posts: 42

For any digital product or movie, the marginal product cost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_product) is obviously very low.  However, this holds true for many other services as well.  For example, for an airplane with empty seats, the cost of taking on an additional passenger is minimal.  However, the passengers are essentially paying for the cost of taking the plane from one place to another.

However, I think MMOs are unique in the nerd rage that they generate.  Today you can try the game for $5 or even for free, so if you try the game and dislike it, you have at most lost $5.  If you enjoy the game for a few hours before you get bored, at least you have had $5 worth of fun.  Even if someone purchased the game at launch, the monetary cost of the game is minimal.  Compare that to going out at night, which most places will set you back at least $100 and give you a hangover in the morning.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Five dollars is a pretty good deal on a game. Heck, even going to the movies cost $20.

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

Five dollars is the price point where, even if the game is well below average, I don't really mind taking the hit. For an MMO, any time the cost of the client and a months play time is lower than the cost of the monthly sub, I'll give it a shot. (Unless its a Korean MMO, then you really are pissing your money away!  )  If i didn't hate GameSpy, IGN and Rubert Murdoch so badly, I would have spent a fortune during this sale. It's not like Steam has had any good sales lately.

• PretaPreta Member Posts: 103

honestly, people are more concerned about wasting their time than the $5.  i think with lots of mmos, the gameplay is so bad, the cost isn't even the real issue.

that said, i don't put aoc in that catagory.  it's a great mmo, compared to 95% of the other crap its competing against.  i don't get why it failed so badly.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Preta

honestly, people are more concerned about wasting their time than the $5.  i think with lots of mmos, the gameplay is so bad, the cost isn't even the real issue.

that said, i don't put aoc in that catagory.  it's a great mmo, compared to 95% of the other crap its competing against.  i don't get why it failed so badly.

Were you not there for launch?  It's fairly well documented that it was an unmitigated disaster in any event if you weren't.

I agree with the statement about people being more concerned with wasting time downloading/patching than the $5.  There are literally 100s of MMOs most people never try even if they have free trials...maybe the IP just doesn't appeal to people, or they have heard how bad the game was and don't want to bother.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Does it mean that the monthly price is over charge atm or Funcom planning to reduce the monthly fee as well?

Originally posted by Larry2298

Does it mean that the monthly price is over charge atm or Funcom planning to reduce the monthly fee as well?

No, this means an online digitial games site celebrating it's 5th year is selling lots of games for the price of a Mars Bar, Can of Coca Cola and a packet of Chips as anniversary.

• Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352

It means AoC is on "the fast track" to F2P.

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Originally posted by Blackwell99

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

And so is EvE Online? www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

Whatever mate, this is one website with a special deal that is all.

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Arthineas

Not sure if this was posted earlier.  But as a part of their Direct 2 Drive turns 5 celebration, they are offering Age of Conan for $5.  It looks like fileplanet still has a Age of Conan trial also.  So if you get the trial, you can basically play the game for 37 days for only $5.  Not a bad deal at all.  The sale for the rpgs and mmorpgs runs for this week.  Next week it is another catagory.
    http://www.direct2drive.com/6/6132/product/Buy-Age-of-Conan:-Hyborian-Adventures-Download

37 days for only 5$ for failconan? You can get a buddy trial invite from ME for EvE worth 21 days and get your 5$ 30day sub from D2Drive and BAM! you get 51days for 5$!!! Way better offer there brosephs... and just 2 let yall know... EvE is a better game! :)

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Mokwee

37 days for only 5$ for failconan? You can get a buddy trial invite from ME for EvE worth 21 days and get your 5$ 30day sub from D2Drive and BAM! you get 51days for 5$!!! Way better offer there brosephs... and just 2 let yall know... EvE is a better game! :)

Tried EVE, didn't like it, moved on, didn't QQ for a year.

Take lesson.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

How is $5 bucks for AoC a special deal?

It was gave away free with magazines, and has been spotted for cheaper on various sites a year ago.

..but if you are suggesting that every single game offered in your link is far superior than AoC (MMO or not).

I'd have to agree

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

It was gave away free with magazines, and has been spotted for cheaper on various sites a year ago.
    ..but if you are suggesting that every single game offered in your link is far superior than AoC (MMO or not).

I'd have to agree

Yes haha very funny, you are of course joking, we all know that.

What a lot of people are failing to realise is that AoC is like a wine, it gets better with age, only quicker.

As i have said in many a post, AoC, despite its bad launch, can now hold its head high amongst other fantasy based MMOs. Although not yet in the realms of WoW, EQ2  and LOTROL, i am sure in 5 years it will be comparable.

Please tell me, if you're so clever, which other fantasy based MMO released in the past few years can you compare to AoC.

The ones i mention above are all over 3 years old. Its main competitor was WAR and even though that had a better launch than AoC where is it now? Whereas Aoc is getting bigger as people realise that a bad launch has nothing to do with the current game. Its main servers have very healthy pops and that is the measure of an MMO, not its launch status or a few random people's opinon of it.

AION is coming but i doubt seriously that it will affect AoC subs and i cant think of any other imminent fantasy based MMO being released.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Hello Kitty

Goodbye Conan-lol

Right...

AoC can be bought from NA only, they keep ripping their own continent :P

I already have my copy gathering dust on the shelf. I put it there 2 weeks after launch and don't really miss it.

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360

Youre better off taking a $5 bill folding it up the size of a baseball card and sticking it in the front wheel of your bike tire.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DIIImaster

In response:

1.  AoC is not getting bigger.  Funcom's revenue is shrinking more than 10% every quarter, and Funcom itself says that it derives most of its revenue from Age of Conan. 
    2.  The main servers?  As detailed in other posts, 16 of AoC's 25 servers are underpopulated.  Only a minority are healthy. 
    3.  Numerous guilds /AoCQuit for Aion, or in the alternative, have stopped playing to try Aion. 

1. Of course most of their revenue comes from AOC, it is the only modern game they have to offer. Second I would not put much faith in them going away. Not when they have government backing as shown when AO was in trouble.

2. As long as there is one decent server people can have a good time. There are quite a few as even you pointed out. So there is no risk in trying it out for five dollars.

3. This happens in every game, everyone said the same about daoc, swg and eq when WOW released. Those games are still trucking along.

In the end what does it matter? There are enough people to go around for all the mmos currently on the market. I would not say Aion is going to take to many from either aoc or war or most other games set in western style fantasy. There is as much importance in aesthetics (lore,visual interpretation and settings) as there is in polish. Wow has shown us that much.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by VultureSkull

I'd have to agree

Yes haha very funny, you are of course joking, we all know that.

What a lot of people are failing to realise is that AoC is like a wine, it gets better with age, only quicker.

As i have said in many a post, AoC, despite its bad launch, can now hold its head high amongst other fantasy based MMOs. Although not yet in the realms of WoW, EQ2  and LOTROL, i am sure in 5 years it will be comparable.

Please tell me, if you're so clever, which other fantasy based MMO released in the past few years can you compare to AoC.

The ones i mention above are all over 3 years old. Its main competitor was WAR and even though that had a better launch than AoC where is it now? Whereas Aoc is getting bigger as people realise that a bad launch has nothing to do with the current game. Its main servers have very healthy pops and that is the measure of an MMO, not its launch status or a few random people's opinon of it.

AION is coming but i doubt seriously that it will affect AoC subs and i cant think of any other imminent fantasy based MMO being released.

Now that's funny...wine you say????

More like vinegar....only much, much slower.

1.4-was a joke because of the guards and the lame murder system.

5 months later:..

1.5- Is a disaster combined with a clusterfuck. Which I predicted a long time ago. The second those FC idiots started messing with the stats I knew it was "game over." Sure enough-I was right, (way beyond my expectations) and then came the 1.5 exodus. The NA servers are empty...and are becoming more empty. Sieges are broken, exploits are in full effect. The re evaluation program failed, and FC continues to bleed cash. There still is zero class balance within PvP...I could go on, but im sure you know how laughable the "wine" statement is.

How many posts do you want to see regarding 1.5 "feedback?" Wouldn't be hard to hook you up considering it has it's own section on the AoC boards:

forums.ageofconan.com/forumdisplay.php

BTW: Aion was released on Sept/22 (way to know what you're talking about)

Although I agree that AoC hasn't had any REAL competition in the form of new blood....until now that is. I can't imagine the massive beating FC will take within the next 12 months with all of the new MMO s coming out.

Although FC is too cowardly to release their population numbers, WAR is more popular on Xfire than AoC. Although both are using ancient "last" generation midware. It reminds me of the Elderly Olympics comparing the two...but whatever...they are both toast.

...and FC is using the same engine for SW---3 generations of MMO's. Now that's comedy!!!!

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

a.) It is 1.05 

b.) Why is /was 1.05 a disaster? Your lackage of ways to argument is quite funny.

c,) 1.05 "exodus" happened because in 1.05 there was not enough added to keep players playing. Not because of stats. Some left because of horrible class balance but in every game you have to deal with class imbalance and wait a bit for fixes. 

d.)zero class balance. where do u see this? Since it seems to me that balance is great if we don't speak about casters which are the problem since day one. This doesn't mean "zero class balance" but "huge class balance problems with 2-3 classes"

e.)1.05 feedback. Browse WoW forums - latest patch feedback had 15/50 (i think it is 50 per page) threads that werent whinning crying. Feedback tends to be negative because people take positive stuff for granted. They only raise voices when troubles arrives. (majority - ever heard the saying that silence means approval)

f.)Aion was indeed release on 22nd but since open beta (around 10th) it was affecting games - it was reported that it had 300k+ testers. Wombies do not test other games ... Where do you think these 300k came from? Aoc, War, Vanguard and other smaller games

g.)War is much more like FPS game. FPS players tend to use xfire. Stop using Xfire for the love of god. Me, and others proved you gazillion times why Xfire is useless.

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by emptyhand

Originally posted by Preta

It's very simple really. Most MMO players just do not like the game.

Reasons might include:

• Instances
    • Small zones
    • Not enough grouping
    • Boring itemization
    • Lack of endgame
    • Lack of PvP
    • Bad character balance
    • Performance issues
    • etc.

Yes, Age of Conan had a horrible launch, but that is not the reason why it has so little subscriptions today. Funcom did have a veteran comeback campaign but majority of players didn't come back because of the reasons I stated earlier.

I would say the biggest reason for lack of players is how funcom handled the launch, and the first 4 months. Looking at the launch where 800K players bought the game and wanted to play. You had major issues like OOM bugs, lack of content whilst leveling etc. AoC lost roughly half it's players the first 4 months of the game, and this period majority of people left due to the many bugs and how funcom looked like totally retards whilst trying to fix them. The best thing Funcom did was getting rid of Gaute godager as game director. The guy has some good ideas about what he wants, but he simply doesn't cut it as a game director.  Funcom's situation after 4 months was that they had a game full of bugs they needed to fix. So far they have done a good job and the game today can easy stand on it's own feets, however MMO players are also a unforgiving bunch of people. the remember the launch and many won't try the game again. This can be understandable as many feels they where scammed, lied too etc. 

I have never found a lack of PvP in AoC, I have never really found a lack of grouping either. The times I wanted a group I got a group. Sure when fewer players where left it would be harder to get a group for all kind of instances. AoC today is a good game, which I will most likely return to at some point. Expansion can be the point where I return as I do like some of the things I have read about it. :)

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• KraavKraav Member Posts: 41

I don't know why so many people have a problem with this game, it wasn't all that bad of what I thought. Remember people whining quite a lot about bugs and other game issues, but I were not so bothered by them. Maybe they expected it to be polished even at start like WoW, but how often is that case. I knew the game had to be released unfinished as money spent started to near/exceed planned budget. They maybe could've succeeded if they took some more time, they tried their best, hence all the delays, but Funcom isn't some fatass game company like Blizzard. Neither do they have the manpower or money.

But let me tell you, this was the one MMORPG that didn't remind me of WoW as much like other MMORPGs and thankful for that. I had quite fun for a month, but nowhere near holyshitfun, but how often do I find such a game? Never, only back in the times. This game has a place reserved in my memory, I probably won't forget it.

ESS O ESS. O ESS O. OR ESS? Bah, fuck it, just call 911.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by emptyhand

It's very simple really. Most MMO players just do not like the game.

Yes, most MMO-players prefer WoW and Asian F2P-grinds...

But to get back on topic. Age of Conan the game and 1 month of subscription time for $5 is an extremely good deal.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop