Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't like the Grind?

Well then you might of not been playing MMO's for a long time as in, you've never played EQ 1 or Asheron's Call at all.  People today are so impatient its sad.  Even about things that aren't related to games.

Comments

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I suppose you're right about the grind being much more tedious in early MMOs.  I remember UO being extremely tedious in grinding to get skill up, but I loved every second of it because a great deal of it was meaningful playing.  When you put levels on my character it feels much more grindy because I am constantly thinking of getting to the next level, even though it is basically the same concept with skill based games.  I was always thinking of getting my skill higher, but there was something about it that made the grind much more enjoyable than MMOs today. 

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

Not Necessarily. It depends heavily on the design. EQ's grind was more of a social event. Most modern day MMOs are so solo oriented that you are, most of the time, all by yourself, with everyone else all by themselves, and any interaction you do is usually very brief and unimportant.

Some people refer to this as disguising the grind, something most modern MMOs do miserably.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

Because games today should be held down to MMO mechanics from the '90s, and new gamers should have to go through the pain-in-the-ass-called-grinding because veterans had to do it too.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by neo750a

Well then you might of not been playing MMO's for a long time as in, you've never played EQ 1 or Asheron's Call at all.  People today are so impatient its sad.  Even about things that aren't related to games.

What's sad is losers waxing nostalgic about button-clicking for extended amounts of time in games a decade ago.

That's sad. 

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

What a douche...

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

In all honesty its true, the grind today in games is nothing like it use to be, it amazes me that people can complain about it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Eben

What's sad is losers waxing nostalgic about button-clicking for extended amounts of time in games a decade ago.

That's sad. 

Lol mean but somewhat true.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

In all honesty its true, the grind today in games is nothing like it use to be, it amazes me that people can complain about it.

You sound like some old man exclaiming "IN MY DAY WE HAD TO WALK 30 MILES TO GET TO THE MARKET."

Sure, you guys had it bad, but nowadays games are held to a higher standard of 'fun' and we shouldn't have to walk 30 miles when we have cars and scooters and bikes and jet planes.

You're saying that we're spoiled. We probably are. I don't really care if you stick your nose up at new gamers who don't like grind, because you're a person who voluntarily did it and complains to us that we have it easy.

• AimieAimie Member Posts: 9

It's alryt..hhehee most of the time I get bored grinding.. but if I won't grind how can I reach high level? So, it was still depends on how are you dedicated to fulfill your goal. In MMO games you just don't grind, it has a community that you can bond with. While grinding I tend to talk in the guild chat/party chat where I can talk with my friends, they remove my boredom palying the game and we now enjoy grinding just by talking to each other different things. So this made the virtual games alive.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Czargio

You sound like some old man exclaiming "IN MY DAY WE HAD TO WALK 30 MILES TO GET TO THE MARKET."

Sure, you guys had it bad, but nowadays games are held to a higher standard of 'fun' and we shouldn't have to walk 30 miles when we have cars and scooters and bikes and jet planes.

You're saying that we're spoiled. We probably are. I don't really care if you stick your nose up at new gamers who don't like grind, because you're a person who voluntarily did it and complains to us that we have it easy.

QFT

QQ more. I was around back then, I played both those games and was around before them too, I like not having to grind in most games today. It's a whole hell of alot better.

If your first games were EQ1 & AC, you're still a n00b to me. I'm still a n00b to NWN@AOL players. They're n00bs to 80's mudders. Big deal.

Shutup and go play a MUD.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Not Necessarily. It depends heavily on the design. EQ's grind was more of a social event. Most modern day MMOs are so solo oriented that you are, most of the time, all by yourself, with everyone else all by themselves, and any interaction you do is usually very brief and unimportant.
    Some people refer to this as disguising the grind, something most modern MMOs do miserably.

Actually the only interaction I see in MMOs nowadays is in a main city or town where players stand around stroking their epeens at each other showing off all the loot they've gathered from solo farming....lol

That or chinese bought gold...>>

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I wouldn't call it disguising anything, it was fun so who cares if it was repetitive.

Throwing a football up in the air and catching it by yourself is boring and repetitive.  Yet playing catch with a group of friends is a lot of fun.  Sometimes having other people around makes all the difference.

Most modern MMO's fail miserably at encouraging people to play together.  But that's a whole other can of worms...

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Stellos

I suppose you're right about the grind being much more tedious in early MMOs.  I remember UO being extremely tedious in grinding to get skill up, but I loved every second of it because a great deal of it was meaningful playing.  When you put levels on my character it feels much more grindy because I am constantly thinking of getting to the next level, even though it is basically the same concept with skill based games.  I was always thinking of getting my skill higher, but there was something about it that made the grind much more enjoyable than MMOs today. 

The difference between UO and EQ style is that in UO a person grinded because they wanted to not because they needed to. After a week of less of gaming the average character (not person) could tackle much of the harder content. The power curve in UO was so slight it made things not feel like a grind but a status goal to max skills. Unless that skill was magic resist, my god that skill was rediculous to raise. Of course I'm referring to primarily combat skills here. Some of the non-combat skills were rather tedious and grindy to raise.

It really isn't the levels but the need to grind to see new content that is the problem with EQ style MMOs. IE, powercurve is very steep. A level 20ish cannot touch level 50ish content (with the occational exception).

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

Originally posted by TheHatter

QFT

QQ more. I was around back then, I played both those games and was around before them too, I like not having to grind in most games today. It's a whole hell of alot better.

If your first games were EQ1 & AC, you're still a n00b to me. I'm still a n00b to NWN@AOL players. They're n00bs to 80's mudders. Big deal.

Woooo MUDS!! The first bot I ever wrote was for one of thems back in the late 80s.

Grinding. Such a horrible term. A better thing to call it in EQ was socialization time. Afterall, EQ1 was a chat room that happened have a 3d mini game attatched to it ;p

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Man, back when WOW first came out these arguments were terrible.

People claiming that something didn't suck simply because it was worse in EQ.  Terrible rationalization.  If something sucks, it sucks.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

OR after 10 years of grinding it has become mundane.

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

• neo750aneo750a Member Posts: 75

oh yes! best believe old gamers that are 70+ would be like, "In my day, MMO's had levels! and we used a keyboard and mouse hooked up to a box attached to a thing called a "Monitor!"".

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by neo750a Well then you might of not been playing MMO's for a long time as in, you've never played EQ 1 or Asheron's Call at all.  People today are so impatient its sad.  Even about things that aren't related to games.

oh yes! best believe old gamers that are 70+ would be like, "In my day, MMO's had levels! and we used a keyboard and mouse hooked up to a box attached to a thing called a "Monitor!"".

Man, I hope so. I'll be a creepy old cat lady with some serious MMO time.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I started with Meridian 59 and then went to Linage. Doesn't mean I like grinding anyways.

The game should focus on the fun parts, not doing the same thing over and over. That doesn't mean that the game with grinding in have fun parts, just that they make people do the same boring stuff over and over for XP, faction or something else.

There are some games without grinding like Guildwars, and hopefully will TOR offer something like that too.

I don't say it should be no grinding but they should cut it down. Stuff like daily quests really sucks, and they just make them because they don't have to add so much content then.

Life is short and repeating exactly the same thing over and over and over gets boring.

Originally posted by TheHatter

QFT

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Computer_games

were my first games ever.  150 or 300 game cartidge oh man!

than on the apple 2 GS i played Rescue Raiders, then i played Bolo as my first multiplayer game.

www.lgm.com/bolo/

tone down your rainbow flames.

I don't like the grind myself from back in the day.  I'm just saying its funny that people today call some of the games today a "Grind" though, some games today rival the old ones.

People don't want static leveling, for example quest to level or kill to level and repeat several hundred or thousand times.  They want something dynamic I.E. Different to do every level, or as much as every few kills or events and not too many events happening else it feels like a "grind".  Actually you can't get rid of grind at all unless your "helplessly" immersed.  Kinda like your very first video game or games?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually you can't get rid of grind at all unless your "helplessly" immersed.  Kinda like your very first video game or games?

Of course you can, Guildwars have done it. You just need to add a lot of things to do and reward people for doing different stuff.

Slowly lower the XP every time you kill the same creature but have loads of different creatures and quests. And more ways of getting XP like exploring, creating items and so on.

And get rid of the kill X monsters kind of quests.

Quests should be long, hard and make you feel lioke a hero, not catching rats or being a mailman. Save a princess and kill a dragon works, or assasinate a king works fine. Throwing the one ring into mount doom. Save the world from terrorist with nukes.

Think it like this: Would Conan/Aragon/Rand/some other fiction hero do this? If not is isn't worth it.

Also we don't really need 80 or 100 levels, 20 is fine.

Make the game more fun, more like a movie or a book. Less like work.

Thats my thoughts at least.

hrmm i just thought of something.  If you can't see the end, can you call it a grind? because you don't know what your working towards you don't know what you need therefore, your working to find that out.  Though being lost would not be a great idea.