Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands and Dragon Age:Origins 100% buy

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

With the tiller once again in our sure grip, we have charted a course toward... jpegs.

I started with a strong nautical metaphor, but then I couldn't make it pay out - and I apologize for that. Scribblenauts is a fun thing to own, though, even if playing it is sometimes a chore because of fiddly, ambiguous character movement or occasionally strange behavior of your summoned items. Everyone seems to play it differently, and everyone can, which is to 5th Cell's credit.

I was playing Battlefield 1943 a few days ago, before ODST took root - not really playing it, so much as using it as a venue for conversation with a friend of mine. I started to list off the games I was planning on picking up in the next new months, and that list was useful to him, and I wondered if it might be useful to you as well. You'll note the caveats afterward. Pedigree means that I have affection for the developer itself, or a previous product. Multi means that playing the game in multiplayer mode is a primary reason for purchase. Bet means that I want to like it, and that overrides elements that might be a concern for rational people.

Demon's Souls 10/6 (Pedigree, Multi, Bet)

Uncharted 2 10/13 (Pedigree, Multi)

Borderlands 10/20 (Pedigree, Bet)

Ratchet & Clank 10/26 (Pedigree)

Modern Warfare 2 11/10 (Pedigree, Multi)

Dragon Age: Origins 11/17 (Pedigree)

Assassin's Creed 2 11/17 (Pedigree, Bet)

Those are the solid, one hundred percent, "going to buy" it games. You'll note that every one of them had a pedigree element, which makes me sad. Newly hatched time constraints have made me more conservative than I want to be. The Suffix to that list includes games like Alpha Protocol, Split Second, the new Operation Flashpoint, and weirdo crap like Magna Carta - games that under normal circumstances I'd buy without hesitation, and get to when I could. It's a resource thing. I can't make my life come up even sometimes.

So many of the games I'm obsessed with ended up being the ones that travelled from 2009 to 2010, or were already natives of that inconceivable Far Realm - personal fixations like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Blur, Mass Effect, Infinite Space, Bayonetta, Bioshock 2, Brink, and Heavy Rain. Given the size of my list already, and its diseased appendix, this is an incredible relief. It has long been the policy of this site to decry the toxic annual algae bloom that makes being a devoted enthusiast of this medium virtually impossible.

Source: www.penny-arcade.com/2009/9/23/

Comments

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

For me, Uncharted 2 and Dragon Age collectors (PC) are already on pre-order. You missed the God of War: Collection for PS3 which surprised me. Borderlands and Demon's Souls are rentals first then I'll decide to buy or not. Same holds for Dragon Age for PS3.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Demon's Souls 10/6
    Uncharted 2 10/13 
    Dragon Age: Origins 11/17
    Assassin's Creed 2 11/17 

Got all of those pre-ordered, I'm still unsure about Borderlands. Ratchet and Clank I usually buy when it gets cheaper along with CoD MW2.

For next year, I'm eagerly awaiting Mass Effect 2 (loved the first one), Heavy Rain is also on my list to get along with Bioshock 2.

With so many great games coming out, its easy to go broke.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

It's definitely a wait and see for me with Borderlands. The combat looks really bad. I never really got into Diablo online, so I really don't see doing anything but playing through it once because loot runs have never appealed to me.