Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG games are not for college students...

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I'm going to tell you guys my story and you guys can make what you will of it. Most people are not going to bother to post due to the length of this thread but for those who do manage to read the entire thing I thank you for reading my story and appreciate any comments or replies.

Alright, My mmorpg gaming began when I was 14. I was a huge .hack//sign fan and still am. I always wished that I could play a game online with people just like the characters from the anime. to my surprise along came FFXI in 2003. My cousin was the first to get the game. When it first came out I didn't think much of it. I figured "Well If I get it for the ps2 its going to cost me over 100 dollars...and If I ask my parents for a new computer it wouldn't be very logical. Considering my mother was disabled and my dad was working pick up construction jobs. I decided to pass on the game in 2003. Along came 2004 and I was in the 10th grade in High school. A lot of my work started to require me to get a computer. So I decided to ask my parents for a school computer to make my life easier. (No one likes to stay after school to do homework at the computer lab). Surprisingly enough my father was saving up money to buy me a car when I turned 18. He used those 800 dollars and bought me a HP desktop. Specs were nothing fancy, some 120MB graphic card, 512 regular ram, and a 350GB HDD. Pentium 4 and had Windows xp, it was a basic multimedia computer for 2004. So at that time my mother decided to get the internet set up. We got a great deal with SBC for $20/mo basic high speed and still get that rate today.

It was sometime in the Fall/winter when I continued to see my cousin play FFXI and I decided to use some of my birthday money to buy the game. I got it and was so excited. I felt a lot like the characters from .hack//sign already as I was walking home from the store. While bumping my .hack//sign soundtrack I began to install the game. My mother let me use her debit card to pay for it, as long as I gave her the 15 dollars a month which I usually got from my 10 dollar a week allowance. I remember the olympics promos were on TV a lot. Since we didn't have cable, (still don't) seeing this was rare so I was excited to wach it. I wached the promos all night until around 11pm waiting for the game to install on a school night. I ended up passing out waiting for FFXI to finish updating. The total time it took to update was roughly 7 hours. I woke up at around 5am and was really happy to see the game had finished installing. So I started to create my character. I made a hume from Bastok and began playing. I had no idea what would come next.

So as I began playing I met many people enjoyed a lot of content and adventures with my cousin as well as have some really strange experiences. This is the first time I have ever told anyone outside of my close friends about this but I did get involved in a in game relationship with a 35 year old woman. At the time I believe I was 15. I don't know why I did it but I did. She called me at my home all the time, we talked a lot well in the end it didn't work out caused me a lot of heartache and depressed me for around 3 weeks. I was lucky to have met a lot of good freinds in FFXI who helped me understand just what had happened to me. I met an individual named Dave who was studying to be a psychologist. He became my closest friend in FFXI and one of my closest real life friends. To this day I often call him if I need advice or some words of encouragement. I began to notice my grades were starting to slip. I began going home never doing my homework and playing FFXI over 6 hours a day. I neglected a lot of my work around the house, and most of my social interactions began to happen in game. When a counselor told my mother that I was about to end up in the Learning center of my high school something inside me snapped. The mixture of pain from the online relationship with the woman, and the feeling that I was letting down my family really got to me. I was after all the first person in my family to go to school. Let alone High school. So I did what I never thought I would do in 2005. I deleated my level 75 Dragoon level 75 White Mage Character and said my goodbye to FFXI.

Almost that same week my grades began to pick up. In 4 months I had turned an entire progress report of all Ds and Fs to all Bs and Cs. I had a much better grasp over my studying but my addiction was not over. A freind from school recomended me to play World of warcraft. He said it was a very casual game that I could play at my leisure. So I decided to give it a try. Long story short, I did play World of warcraft for about 9 months. I did enjoy it and had a level 60 Hunter, and level 60 Paladin. As the BC was announced I said my goodbye to world of warcraft and focused again on school. My grades had kept strong at B average but I just was not having fun anymore with WoW. I ended up graduating high school without a problem, Being the first person in my family to do it.My family came from all over Mexico to congratulate me.

Fast forward 3 months and I started going to college. At first I decided to make my major culinary arts, and due to the low homework load I had a lot of free time. I decided to pick up my old drug of choice FFXI and re-make another character now with the knowledge of control. It turned out quite well actually. I would play 3 months, and quit 2 months. I got to level 60 and stopped. At the beginning of 2008 I began to notice culinary was not for me. I did not feel like I was challenging myself enough. I decided to change my major to psychology.

This was the best choice of my life. Not only did my friend Dave who I met thanks to FFXI influence me in this but the choice also helped me understand myself and others much better. Right now I am in my college's Psychology honors program. I am getting paid by the district to be a research assistant to professors at the university. I also have a 3.0 GPA and just got a $2000 scholarship in the summer. Needless to say I went from the depressed kid who had fallen in love with a virtual diva and was about to ruin his life forsaken to remain in poverty like my family has lived for 200 years to an honors student making his entire family proud and more so myself. I do not blame mmorpgs for my initial problems, I think they were a very useful learning tool and actually helped me grow up a bit faster than I would have otherwise.

Ever since I got into the psychology honors program I have been trying to figure out a way to play mmorpg games as a casual player. I no longer have time for FFXI as a lot of you know it takes up a ton of time. I started to consider playing Free 2 play mmorpg games. I figured, "At least I won't have to waist money" Well thats not true. As I started to progress in one or another free 2 play mmorpg game I noticed that you have 2 choices. Ether you spend a lot of your hard earned money on this game, or you spend a ton of time. Nether which I was willing to do. I am only able to play about 6-8 hours of total time a week. I have read many stories of college students playing mmorpg games. I would like to know of some. If you are one of the people who can balance MMORPG gaming and school, or have found an mmorpg game that is casual enough to let you do both without maxing out your credit card please let me know.

I made this post for 2 reasons.

#1 I just wanted to share my story with the mmorpg community. I'm sure some adult readers will get to the end of this wall of text. For this I thank you.

#2 I also wanted to inform that as a college student I have found no way to play mmorpg games and balance a high GPA, and research part time work (10 hours a week). Again if you happen to be one of those people who has found this casual blessed game for the college student please let me know. Otherwise any comments on my story or productive discussion is welcome.

Thank you

Blaze_RockerBruceYeefinefluffAAAMEOWAbscissa15

Comments

• a_namea_name Member Posts: 249

Me thinks your experience is only your own.

When I was in college I was also working, playing my mmo, and in a relationship and I have pets and took on an internship before school was over!

My grades were all A /pass except for 2 Bs in math subjects - anyway .... you can do stuff while in college... you just sleep less and dope up on caffeine and you HAVE to read ahead, don't wait to be told to do it : D Also graduated Highest honors and got a perfect attendance plaque lol I wanted my degree, I needed to work to eat, I love my pets, I cared for my ex and I used my mmo as a release in some ways to just "kill stuff" maybe some ppl just aren't as driven.

I think it's part of how you were raised how you react when the pressure is on. I had a job at 13 and in my early 20s always worked 2 jobs or 15 hr days. Once you get used to the fact that YOU have to do what needs to be done to get somewhere, you do it or you sit around and get high with the other daydreamers that chase every get rich quick scheme.

I don't have a game to suggest to you, for me it was wow raiding and pvp back then but I won't suggest the game to ppl anymore - it has enough customers.

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

There's always a way in everything you do. I manage to play an MMO, raise a son, and work and learn fulltime.

I'm currently getting my bachelor's degree, yet I always find time for me. My wife has the same routine. But, as someone else said, caffeine becomes a vital part of your diet.

THE Rooster Nash

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I happen to really like sleeping my 8 hours a night :) 

Very dangerous to ride to school on the California high way's half asleep in the morning. So not getting well rested is not an option for me. 

BruceYee
  • milkyymilkyy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 61

Who in their right  mind would read that huge eyesore.

Dibdabs
  • SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I have a similar story to you, I neglected school/college because of gaming and mmorpg and at 19 was rejected from college to do resets (it would have been my third time doing my A2 exams) and I had that same feeling of regret you had and felt lost because I had already been disappointed my parents my resetting my A2 for the first time but I did not know what they would do If I told them that I not only that I needed to reset my exams again (well to get to the university I wanted to) but also that I was rejected from my college..... Anyway long story short I had a talk with my mum and a couple friends helped me out and I found a good degree I could do and they would accept me with much lower grades than they usually required (they needed 320 points I only had 170) but there was a catch and that was I would get 22 hours (over 4 days) a week of teaching time (instead of the regular 12) and that they would place me in a different building than the regular students for the first two years...anyway for this degree they only accept 40-50 people a year to take on with lower grades and they said only 10 people usually make to third year so I had my work cut out...blah blah I was got into the course and was extremely happy and decided not to fuck up this time round and worked my ass off and luckily for the first year I got a 1st (highest grade you can get) which is much better than I ever expected to do and plan to continue at the same level for year 2 (starts in a week) and i also plan to get a masters to make up for my precious years)

Anyway during my time I did still find time to play mmorpg but not that much..i usually got 5-10 hours a week to play which is enough to enjoy the game just need to take everything at a slower pace. :D

ps:i know my grammer is bad sorry >.>

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Originally posted by milkyy

Who in their right  mind would read that huge eyesore.

Learn to speed read, or shut yer pie trap if you're not going to contribute anything to the discussion.

Anyways OP, I was inspired by your story.  So I'll share mine with you.

It's funny you say this because I'm about to go buy Aion tomorrow, install it, log on, and create a new online soul.  And with the fall semester just starting, I have just caught up with my class this semester.  That's right, class, as in singular.  I'm 12 credits from graduating with a BA in GIS Urban Land Use Planning, while currently taking this 4 credit computer class that was already starting to kick may ass. (114/120) credits to goal!

I've took a ~7 month break from mmo's since I dumped WAR, but played FFXI for a long time.  I think I now have the time management skills to play Aion with friends and family on a casual-core schedule.  Everyone in the guild agrees to not let this game rule our lives.  A lot of people now have jobs and are in a time crunch balance conflict.

I find it interesting that I find myself in the same situation you were in with the whole "I need a new computer" to get work done - so I don't have to stay at the shitty school's computer lag lab to get work done.  I can do it at home, at my own pace, in peace.  I have a lot of huge projects in a class called GIS (geographic information systems).  Granted, I bought this computer with having in mind that I WILL need it as part of my career, as well as passing the class, and finishing up my degree.  BUT, there is also a dark side.... The computer is a beast, and can also be coupled for the use of gaming pleasure purposes.  I know there is a part of me that is capable of neglecting my schoolwork by being consumed in Aion.  This is the inner demon fight within me that I must battle.

I'll feel really guilty if this leads to my brother and friends lives being sucked into the same situation.  The last thing I want is for my actions to effect their lives in a negative manner.  I'd be in a sense, "blood-guilty" of a negative influence on them.  I'm so close.  I think I can pull it off. (with a little round-robin supoprt, we all have each others backs).

I feel bad because I promised my parents I would not play anymore games, but rather take care of business. My dad told me if he caught me playing any mmo's that he would kick me out of the household.  Talk about a game of "chicken".  It seems like I already broke the oath, and am on the path of no return.  Is the gamble worth the risk?  I don't know.  I'm just gonna have to press on and see what happens.

Anyways man, thanks for sharing your story.  I'm sure it will help me try to keep things in moderation.

• thafireballthafireball Member Posts: 200

Well after reading your story I notice a lot of similar things that go along with the way I play MMO's.  I play them pretty hardcore...and by hardcore I mean I just spend a lot of time on them...not that im great or special at any of them by no means.  I have also let my grades slip several times and quit due to playing MMO's.  Every time I quit playing them and focus on school I makes A's and B's...when I play them I don't do any homework and cram my ass off the night before tests and make C's and D's. 

I guess I have an addictive personality.  I don't really guess...I know I do.  It's pretty bad.  I haven't found a way yet either to play casually and keep focused on school / more important things.  I guess part of it has to do with my parents providing money / apartment / food / everything I need.  The thing that HAS worked for me is to get into something else and play the MMO as an after thought of when you're terribly bored of the other thing that you like.  For me it was Disc Golf. (frisbee golf) I would play that almost every day and then do my school work.  When I had time I would play MMO's but it wasn't even an every day thing...like every 2 or 3 days I would play for a couple hours at most.

There's no real way to play and stay "on top" so to speak if you're playing casually.  It's just not going to cut it.  What I'm doing right now is playing WoW and leveling every class to 60 and then plan on taking it very slowly until the expansion comes out.  I do plan to level all of them to 80 but I'm giving myself a year or so to do it and not planning on rushing anything.  I tell myself this knowing it's damn near a lie because I will want to level up at least 1 class to 80 quickly so I can keep playing with my friends who are already 80.  I have messed up a good 4 weeks of school so far to level all these classes to 60...I should be finishing my last 2 tonight.  I realize I should probably stop and just play some damn FPS or something but I just have so much PVP'ing in wow that I can't stay away.  I dunno...maybe I should go to a hypnotherapist and get them to make me hate playing video games =P 

Anyways...I didn't mean to hijack the thread and turn it into my story but I hope you and I both find a way to play casually and keep our other important things in the "real life" on track better than we have been.

-Thafireball

Originally posted by SoulSurfer

It's funny you say this because I'm about to go buy Aion tomorrow, install it, log on, and create a new online soul.  And with the fall semester just starting, I have just caught up with my class this semester.  That's right, class, as in singular.  I'm 12 credits from graduating with a BA in GIS Urban Land Use Planning, while currently taking this 4 credit computer class that was already starting to kick may ass. (114/120) credits to goal!
    I've took a ~7 month break from mmo's since I dumped WAR, but played FFXI for a long time.  I think I now have the time management skills to play Aion with friends and family on a casual-core schedule.  Everyone in the guild agrees to not let this game rule our lives.  A lot of people now have jobs and are in a time crunch balance conflict.
    I find it interesting that I find myself in the same situation you were in with the whole "I need a new computer" to get work done - so I don't have to stay at the shitty school's computer lag lab to get work done.  I can do it at home, at my own pace, in peace.  I have a lot of huge projects in a class called GIS (geographic information systems).  Granted, I bought this computer with having in mind that I WILL need it as part of my career, as well as passing the class, and finishing up my degree.  BUT, there is also a dark side.... The computer is a beast, and can also be coupled for the use of gaming pleasure purposes.  I know there is a part of me that is capable of neglecting my schoolwork by being consumed in Aion.  This is the inner demon fight within me that I must battle.
    I'll feel really guilty if this leads to my brother and friends lives being sucked into the same situation.  The last thing I want is for my actions to effect their lives in a negative manner.  I'd be in a sense, "blood-guilty" of a negative influence on them.  I'm so close.  I think I can pull it off. (with a little round-robin supoprt, we all have each others backs).
    I feel bad because I promised my parents I would not play anymore games, but rather take care of business. My dad told me if he caught me playing any mmo's that he would kick me out of the household.  Talk about a game of "chicken".  It seems like I already broke the oath, and am on the path of no return.  Is the gamble worth the risk?  I don't know.  I'm just gonna have to press on and see what happens.
    Anyways man, thanks for sharing your story.  I'm sure it will help me try to keep things in moderation.

I wish you the best in your task as well. Try to keep the gaming down a bit. 

I was also about to get Aion until I stopped myself. I really want to get a new motorcycle and I know spending money on games, and  only make about 300 a month from my research job is not going to cut it. So I decided against buying any new games at least until March of next year. 

The honors program demands so much more from me than I originally expected. I am very happy to be part of it though because it basically is going to guarantee me a very good job once I do graduate with my Master's in Therapy. 

I have roughly about 5-8 hours of free time where I could play an mmorpg, however I really don't know if I want to use those few hours on a game. Even If I did I don't know any mmorpg games where 5-8 hours a week is really enough to get anything done. 

Originally posted by Calintz333

I was also about to get Aion until I stopped myself. I really want to get a new motorcycle and I know spending money on games, and  only make about 300 a month from my research job is not going to cut it. So I decided against buying any new games at least until March of next year. 

The honors program demands so much more from me than I originally expected. I am very happy to be part of it though because it basically is going to guarantee me a very good job once I do graduate with my Master's in Therapy. 

I have roughly about 5-8 hours of free time where I could play an mmorpg, however I really don't know if I want to use those few hours on a game. Even If I did I don't know any mmorpg games where 5-8 hours a week is really enough to get anything done. 

lol, I had a Honda CBR 600 F3 In my earlier days in college and managed to wreck it.  I bought this new computer recently instead of dumping a ton of money in fixing my Impreza, or getting another bike.  I was over it, I didn't need the speed or tickets anymore, as I just got my drivers license back after 4 years of not having one. <.<

It's like I have to be addicted to something in order to be happy.  It's pretty masochistic. XD

Just be careful on the bike if you do decide to get one.  Take some safety courses, and never disrespect the bike, because once you lose respect for it, that is the day you just may have signed your death warrant.  And please wear a helmet. =)

lol, I had a Honda CBR 600 F3 In my earlier days in college and managed to wreck it.  I bought this new computer recently instead of dumping a ton of money in fixing my Impreza, or getting another bike.  I was over it, I didn't need the speed or tickets anymore, as I just got my drivers license back after 4 years of not having one. <.<

It's like I have to be addicted to something in order to be happy.  It's pretty masochistic. XD

Just be careful on the bike if you do decide to get one.  Take some safety courses, and never disrespect the bike, because once you lose respect for it, that is the day you just may have signed your death warrant.  And please wear a helmet. =)

I already took the MFC and I am planning to take the Advance MFC, I wear full safety gear, which includes spine protection armored jacket as well as boots, gloves, and armored pants.  I have also read Proficient motorcycleing books 1 and 2. I belong to the www.motorcycleforum.com  and get as much advice and tips from the experts as I can. I feel bad for the squids who disregard their lives and just ride on the Highway at 100mph with nothing on but the California cool style, flip flops, Shorts and a muscle shirt. on their Rice rockets. Perfect remedy for disaster. Im very serious about safety. :) 

I already took the MFC and I am planning to take the Advance MFC, I wear full safety gear, which includes spine protection armored jacket as well as boots, gloves, and armored pants.  I have also read Proficient motorcycleing books 1 and 2. I belong to the www.motorcycleforum.com  and get as much advice and tips from the experts as I can. I feel bad for the squids who disregard their lives and just ride on the Highway at 100mph with nothing on but the California cool style, flip flops, Shorts and a muscle shirt. on their Rice rockets. Perfect remedy for disaster. Im very serious about safety. :) 

It appeases my mind that you know not to be a "squid". lol, for you people that don't know what a "squid" is, - it is basically a NOOB on a motorcycle, for as: if you wreck yer bike and splatter your brains on the road - your brain lying on the tarmac looks like a squid splashed upon the pavement. (sorry for the gruesome details).  I'm also glad to hear you have full gear, because ironically when I wrecked my bike I was wearing the following: flip flops, board shorts, tank top, and sunglasses. XD and somehow managed to walk away with minor road rash. :o

May the force be with you sir. =)

• QurellQurell Member Posts: 41

If you think you don't have time for MMORPGs when you're a  student, just wait until you start working...

Originally posted by Qurell

If you think you don't have time for MMORPGs when you're a  student, just wait until you start working...

I know what you mean :( My only comfort is that I  plan to remain single or at the very least not married until at least age 30. I want to be able to enjoy at least 4-6  years of my life doing what ever I want in my free time after work without having to worry about a family wife or kids.  Ill finally have the money and time to travel to Norway & Spain. My dream! 

Also hopefully by then I will be able to actually try out FFXIV!!!  I plan to buy it the day it comes out and start playing it after I get established with my first job in the field. I might even buy a ps3 and not open it until that happens.  A little something to look forward too. Ill play it on the ps3 :D 

Game will be like 3-4 years old by the time I end up actually playing it. And most likely the Ps4 will be about to come out if not out -_- 

Originally posted by Qurell

yeah, by brother is studying CDC's for his Air Force promotion, and I hope Aion won't screw him over.

I won't let it happen though. ><

• KyligraphyKyligraphy Member Posts: 12

#1 I just wanted to share my story with the mmorpg community. I'm sure some adult readers will get to the end of this wall of text. For this I thank you.

#2 I also wanted to inform that as a college student I have found no way to play mmorpg games and balance a high GPA, and research part time work (10 hours a week). Again if you happen to be one of those people who has found this casual blessed game for the college student please let me know. Otherwise any comments on my story or productive discussion is welcome.

Thank you

To the OP , you make me feel almost guilty... I tend to think of some of these things as a bad black hole in my life that I tend to forget, it's nice to see you have some sense of accomplishment. Maybe I should get a degree in geography and archeology and dig some bones up, haha.

on a side note... I would actually consider being a sorta critique on media, since it's been one of my focuses that I can enjoy... but then again, part of the fun on media was not thinking about it... lol

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

I started playing FFXI when I was a sophmore in college working on my first degree (psychology actually). I now have 4, including 2 masters and am working on my first doctorate. I have owned two businesses, had many relationships, and currently teach sociology at a local community college.

I did a lot of things to cope with my playing MMO's, I sacrificed in my social life, for a short time I slacked off in my learning (but that didn't last long), and I cut back on sleep in order to get more time in game. None of which I would recommend too much.  Still with most MMO's you will find yourself cutting back on something in your schedule, but this is true of any hobby/activity you pursue and you need to prioritize and balance it for what is best for you.

I will say though, playing MMO's casually works for some but not for me. It is not the way I live my life. When considering it I had to ask myself if I played video games to simply waste away my time, and escape from my "real life" or if it was to through them meet and form real relationships with others playing the game across the world, and to generally get the most out of my experience and the accomplishments there that challenge and intrigue me.  This is what I got out of FFXI and enjoyed most from it, and if I had to comprise that to fit my MMO playing in with the rest of my life I would rather not play at all.

As a sociologist many trends in MMO's and the video game industry concern me, but I would have to say that casual play actually concerns me the most. This is because it reflects a greater trend toward instant gratification through entertainment which is reflective of people seeking what is simply an escape from their daily lives while at the same time placing more of an emphasis on accessibility and ease rather than depth and intellectual challenge.

Instead I would think that a healthy person would choose activities which enrich and expand their life (we only get one and to waste it doing things which do no more for you than simply make you feel slightly better in the moment is in my opinion a terrible shame).

My suggestion to you or anyone else would be to continually look at how you balance your life so you don't miss out on the things you want, but to make sure that you aren't just killing time during any of it.  Even if that means you need to take the time to ensure your "you time" is properly suited to make that happen. 

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

To the OP, thank you so much for your post. It was a real wake up call to me, because I'm beginning to think that I'm getting addicted to gaming, especially since I spent three whole weeks playing games and surfing the internet when I really should have been working on my project, and the deadline is in two weeks. As such, I've already requested that I do the project next year instead of this because I've already screwed up the first part of it, and as of now, I am still waiting for the reply.

But, you really made me think of where my life is heading. Probably thanks to my gaming all the time, I'm not doing as well in school as I should. My grades are so bad that I probably won't even hit a GPA of 3, and already, my GPA was less than 3 last year. So I am really going to have to work hard for the remaining years I have in my polytechnic in order to make up for it. And, if I have to cut down on gaming, then so be it.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• Draco91Draco91 Member Posts: 134

I play EVE while going to college, because skills are trained in RL time, so they continue to train even while offline. Even though I'm still tempted to log in and play instead of doing homework, it isn't nearly as bad as most MMOs, because I can still make progress even when I don't have time to play. And the game is still *challenging*.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]

• marowitmarowit Member UncommonPosts: 268

I also almost finished economics college, now i just went out on a crazy moments impulse and joined IT college, GF, pet cat, work(at least 9 hours per day) for rent, food all i need, and i would play an mmo if there was one that would keep me entertained for more then 2 months.So i just play SP games now.

So yes you can play games and have a full and successful live, you just need to set your priorities.   

REMEMBER THE OLD DAYS AND REGRET THEY HAVE PASSED.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Um... I played EQ classic in my college days. MMORPG's don't screw people up... people with addictive personalities, prone to dissasociative disorders, or people who lack discipline or self control screw up MMORPG's for the rest of the sane playerbase.

China seems to have a good idea on handling that kind of thing...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6739615.ece

Here's another sad story about how people with problems shouldn't play MMO's... because it makes it so WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/17/48hours/main525965.shtml

But... in case you are really... "serious"...OP, my best advice is...

FFXI is one of the poorest benchmarks for the MMO genre as a whole. It's one of the hardest, group based games out there. It is not "meant" for casual gaming... at least it wasn't when I played at release... you couldn't solo past lvl 10, and skillchaining is a must, so massive reliance on groups.

Ever try any OTHER MMORPG's? WoW... for instance? You're talking basically about addiction, and not one peep about WoW? SRSLY?!? You're an educated person. There are more than ONE MMORPG out there. In order to form an opinion about the whole, you should try others out there. This in turn may help your personal issues, or feed them... but at least help you come to a better conclusion rather than just a biased one based off of one game in particular.

But no... seriously... you need to try WoW before you judge MMO's as a whole based off of FFXI.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• Asheron-RayAsheron-Ray Member Posts: 35

I happen to really like sleeping my 8 hours a night :) 
    Very dangerous to ride to school on the California high way's half asleep in the morning. So not getting well rested is not an option for me. 

Its not that bad.... the freeway i mean....

Besides who sleeps 8 hous these days...

• justmyselfjustmyself Member Posts: 104

I'm going to tell you guys my story and you guys can make what you will of it. Most people are not going to bother to post due to the length of this thread but for those who do manage to read the entire thing I thank you for reading my story and appreciate any comments or replies.

Alright, My mmorpg gaming began when I was 14. I was a huge .hack//sign fan and still am. I always wished that I could play a game online with people just like the characters from the anime. to my surprise along came FFXI in 2003. My cousin was the first to get the game. When it first came out I didn't think much of it. I figured "Well If I get it for the ps2 its going to cost me over 100 dollars...and If I ask my parents for a new computer it wouldn't be very logical. Considering my mother was disabled and my dad was working pick up construction jobs. I decided to pass on the game in 2003. Along came 2004 and I was in the 10th grade in High school. A lot of my work started to require me to get a computer. So I decided to ask my parents for a school computer to make my life easier. (No one likes to stay after school to do homework at the computer lab). Surprisingly enough my father was saving up money to buy me a car when I turned 18. He used those 800 dollars and bought me a HP desktop. Specs were nothing fancy, some 120MB graphic card, 512 regular ram, and a 350GB HDD. Pentium 4 and had Windows xp, it was a basic multimedia computer for 2004. So at that time my mother decided to get the internet set up. We got a great deal with SBC for $20/mo basic high speed and still get that rate today.

It was sometime in the Fall/winter when I continued to see my cousin play FFXI and I decided to use some of my birthday money to buy the game. I got it and was so excited. I felt a lot like the characters from .hack//sign already as I was walking home from the store. While bumping my .hack//sign soundtrack I began to install the game. My mother let me use her debit card to pay for it, as long as I gave her the 15 dollars a month which I usually got from my 10 dollar a week allowance. I remember the olympics promos were on TV a lot. Since we didn't have cable, (still don't) seeing this was rare so I was excited to wach it. I wached the promos all night until around 11pm waiting for the game to install on a school night. I ended up passing out waiting for FFXI to finish updating. The total time it took to update was roughly 7 hours. I woke up at around 5am and was really happy to see the game had finished installing. So I started to create my character. I made a hume from Bastok and began playing. I had no idea what would come next.

So as I began playing I met many people enjoyed a lot of content and adventures with my cousin as well as have some really strange experiences. This is the first time I have ever told anyone outside of my close friends about this but I did get involved in a in game relationship with a 35 year old woman. At the time I believe I was 15. I don't know why I did it but I did. She called me at my home all the time, we talked a lot well in the end it didn't work out caused me a lot of heartache and depressed me for around 3 weeks. I was lucky to have met a lot of good freinds in FFXI who helped me understand just what had happened to me. I met an individual named Dave who was studying to be a psychologist. He became my closest friend in FFXI and one of my closest real life friends. To this day I often call him if I need advice or some words of encouragement. I began to notice my grades were starting to slip. I began going home never doing my homework and playing FFXI over 6 hours a day. I neglected a lot of my work around the house, and most of my social interactions began to happen in game. When a counselor told my mother that I was about to end up in the Learning center of my high school something inside me snapped. The mixture of pain from the online relationship with the woman, and the feeling that I was letting down my family really got to me. I was after all the first person in my family to go to school. Let alone High school. So I did what I never thought I would do in 2005. I deleated my level 75 Dragoon level 75 White Mage Character and said my goodbye to FFXI.

Almost that same week my grades began to pick up. In 4 months I had turned an entire progress report of all Ds and Fs to all Bs and Cs. I had a much better grasp over my studying but my addiction was not over. A freind from school recomended me to play World of warcraft. He said it was a very casual game that I could play at my leisure. So I decided to give it a try. Long story short, I did play World of warcraft for about 9 months. I did enjoy it and had a level 60 Hunter, and level 60 Paladin. As the BC was announced I said my goodbye to world of warcraft and focused again on school. My grades had kept strong at B average but I just was not having fun anymore with WoW. I ended up graduating high school without a problem, Being the first person in my family to do it.My family came from all over Mexico to congratulate me.

Fast forward 3 months and I started going to college. At first I decided to make my major culinary arts, and due to the low homework load I had a lot of free time. I decided to pick up my old drug of choice FFXI and re-make another character now with the knowledge of control. It turned out quite well actually. I would play 3 months, and quit 2 months. I got to level 60 and stopped. At the beginning of 2008 I began to notice culinary was not for me. I did not feel like I was challenging myself enough. I decided to change my major to psychology.

This was the best choice of my life. Not only did my friend Dave who I met thanks to FFXI influence me in this but the choice also helped me understand myself and others much better. Right now I am in my college's Psychology honors program. I am getting paid by the district to be a research assistant to professors at the university. I also have a 3.0 GPA and just got a $2000 scholarship in the summer. Needless to say I went from the depressed kid who had fallen in love with a virtual diva and was about to ruin his life forsaken to remain in poverty like my family has lived for 200 years to an honors student making his entire family proud and more so myself. I do not blame mmorpgs for my initial problems, I think they were a very useful learning tool and actually helped me grow up a bit faster than I would have otherwise.

Ever since I got into the psychology honors program I have been trying to figure out a way to play mmorpg games as a casual player. I no longer have time for FFXI as a lot of you know it takes up a ton of time. I started to consider playing Free 2 play mmorpg games. I figured, "At least I won't have to waist money" Well thats not true. As I started to progress in one or another free 2 play mmorpg game I noticed that you have 2 choices. Ether you spend a lot of your hard earned money on this game, or you spend a ton of time. Nether which I was willing to do. I am only able to play about 6-8 hours of total time a week. I have read many stories of college students playing mmorpg games. I would like to know of some. If you are one of the people who can balance MMORPG gaming and school, or have found an mmorpg game that is casual enough to let you do both without maxing out your credit card please let me know.

I made this post for 2 reasons.

Thank you

College life:

-No time

-No money

Yes, MMORPG's are not for college students, but w8! IT'S MEAN MAP! www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/252926/MEAN-MAP.html

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Very nice post, thanks for sharing it. Certainly it is very difficult to spend 3+ hours every day in a game and accomplish much in life.

To the above poster: hope you had a good reason to quote the whole long original post to just write a few silly lines below it.

• Sober_SeanSober_Sean Member CommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Lansid

Ever try any OTHER MMORPG's? WoW... for instance? You're talking basically about addiction, and not one peep about WoW? SRSLY?!? You're an educated person. There are more than ONE MMORPG out there. In order to form an opinion about the whole, you should try others out there. This in turn may help your personal issues, or feed them... but at least help you come to a better conclusion rather than just a biased one based off of one game in particular.
    But no... seriously... you need to try WoW before you judge MMO's as a whole based off of FFXI.

He said he had 2 level 60 chars in that game.  He had a whole paragraph in his post talking about wow.  It wasn't even very far into the post...