Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

next BIG mmorpg

1111213141517»

Comments

• lycaninelycanine Member Posts: 8
    I think DnD online will be the next big game. As with every game, I tend to look for something that challenges my mind. Sure you get Guild Wars..but fighting and doing builds isn't my thing 100% of the game. Hated Arch Lord (was closed Beta Tester), didn't think Anarchy was that special... and played 9Dragons which was interesting actually. But it still lacked something. At the moment I am waiting for the opening of 2moons.  www.2moonsgame.com  and to me I am dying to play it. Just because of what the game is all about. Go to Youtube and see what I mean. I had to go back to South Africa for three months so I lost out on my invitation to closed beta. But I will survive *sniffs*

But as I said... when I played Dungeons and Dragons: Stormreach I was really impressed at first. Some things needed to be sorted out. And I played that quite a few months ago. Since then I heard it has been done a hundred times better since its launch...so I want to buy it and play it. The thing is I am a roleplayer at heart and Dungeons and Dragons are the originators so to speak in that genre..because they started with the Books first. They know what a good roleplay involves. The environments are beautifully built, so it feels like a city or outskirts whatever. I never felt comfortable in Guildwars since its just places where people stand around, barter and so forth. Then the rest is fighting. Although personally most mmorpg's lack one fundamental element...the true classic of being evil. I would still like to see one where people can choose to be on the good side or evil in the actual storyline of the game. To me...it seems too convenient that you can be a necromancer or ritualist in Guildwars for example...and still have to follow the "classic good storyline". To hell with that...I would rather be against everybody else as that is my nature... be devious, cunning, a betrayer of souls and reaper of sorrows. Why would I want to help Dwayna? lol

So you see... I have still to find a game that lets me pit my skills in a really dark way against other players.

Also why call it roleplay when no one is roleplaying? They have characters yes, but otherwise they are themselves. At least in DnD I had a chance to actually roleplay which was so refreshing.

End of rant :P
  • fer612fer612 Member Posts: 7
    in my opinion i must say that the next game will be Lotro(lord of the rings online) because i played the beta and it is awesome, but there is only one problem that will make it dont be the next big game and it is the fact that even if you buy it, you´ll need to pay an extra to keep playing it, and if you want to be a member forever is too expensive. But the game is really incredible including its graphics, if u want to try it go quick and download the beta just to see how awesome is.
  • GzSx93GzSx93 Member Posts: 43
    Woah..lol all of you guys are saying the crappy mmos that are alrdy out are gonna get big? i dont think so ......

i would have 2 say the ones in the developement stage will do very well....(WAR/AOC those kinda games)

Games played:

WOW: 70 mage,60 mage, 61 shammy, 65 warrior

COX: lvl 35 scrapper lvl 20 MM

Guildwars: 20 w/m

LOTRO BETA: lvl 32 Dwarf guardian/ 15 hunter

Currently playing: Battlefield 2142

Waiting on WAR/AOC

LAWZIOWN3dYAINTEHFAACE

• AeiyelAeiyel Member Posts: 6
    Here is the deal, I’m not going to hate on WoW.... what I’m going to hate on is mixing underage (meaning under adult age) kids in with older gamers (and/or) RP servers. WoW is a beautiful game, that was fun. and could be more fun if only. What ruins the game play is staring at general chat all day and seeing which other idiot can successfully repeat what some other idiot said five minutes ago (Wasn’t “your mom” worn out in the 90’s?) I wouldn’t leave if they could make the interface more RP friendly like LOTRO did, and if they could make a separate server for kids under the age of 18... Or at least, a separate server for those interested in RP and are over the age of 18.

Guess that makes sense that Maplestory is up there with WoW. (*sob*)

In any case, as for the next great MMO I have a really old one here actually. I don’t want to really vouch for it as the next big MMO especially since they aren’t rushing the process (or maybe that’s why I SHOULD vouch for it..) I don’t know if you guys ever heard of Dawn, (yup, simply dawn) in the works by Glitchless (www.glitchless.com) It must have been at least six years ago from when I signed up for their beta…They used to have a really comprehensive website, that I had memorized while waiting for the Beta… The website is totally different now, only passing on a few highlights, and updating on the work. Let me give you some of the highlights I remember from the original site…

• You would be able to play any class, including monsters.. (at the time) meaning there would be no NPCs… Monsters you would be fighting could in fact be other players
    • You would be born to two characters in game who decided that they wanted a child. You would have the “child” status for a week (or two.. I don’t remember) and your “parents” would be responsible for starting equipment/money… etc (yes, meaning if you have crappy parents, you’d get a horrible start on life… this also meant that you could be a hybrid of two races!)
    • The people would have to build the cities, but in order to build larger projects you’d need more people (I.e. house = 5 People to build….castle 30 People to build) and you could also build civilizations under water
    • The world would not naturally respawn resources (spawn, is a bad word here)
    • The planet is a real round planet, the solar system is a real solar system… which means, sailing at sea you could navigate by the stars
    • Permanent Death, hugely controversial but of course, you wouldn’t easily die so easily like in other games, it would make for real martyrs and heros…
    • Knocking out and dragging… you would be able to knock out a character and drag the person, potentially making room for “Jailing” characters, and creating power, leaders, and followers (subdued by power) which would hopefully lead to players creating their own Democracy, or Dictatorship even (making their own political systems anyway)
    • Your character would never get “logged out,” he would just appear asleep so you would have to tuck him away safe in your own house, or a city…
    • There was several races (fourteen I think,) not including hybrid races…
    • Everything about the body is customizable, including custom tattoos (which purposively had something to do with guilds as well I think)
    • There was much more, bare with me though…I really wish they had their original website up… sounded like an MMO fans dream…

If you do want to know more about it... I suggest the Dawn FAQ section on their www.glitchless.com website! Let me know what you think, or just get informed

"You will soon be able to tax it!"

• ELHaymELHaym Member Posts: 2

Dawn sounds crazy.  Hard to say how in-depth people will want to take the RP aspects you talk about.  I suppose some people will, but can a game be sold based on that stuff?

Till the cows come home!

• undiesusaundiesusa Member Posts: 116
    Darkfall.

www.darkfallonline.com

Fullpvp

Full Loot

Fps controls

Sieging

Active blocking

open skill based.

ah Darkfall.
  • ErraticManErraticMan Member Posts: 3

Failed Prediction:

I thought Vanguard would be the champ in MMO's, but after experiencing it, I (and apparently a lot of folks) was greatly disappointed. The game has potential, despite it's heinous bugs, lack of optimization, uninspired quests, and tedious nature.  With dedication, it may be salvageable.

Pleasant Surprise:

LOTRO was a game I was dubious of.  A die hard fan of Tolkien, I had to at least try it.  I was surprised at how polished the game was during open beta.  Graphics were great and stylized like the art on the covers of the old school paperbacks of Lord of the Rings. Ambient music, ambient sounds (forests, taverns, towns, etc) are very immersive. While controversial, I absolutely love the use of instanced encounters and story arcs- you get pulled into the events and feel part of the epic tale! I bought it and am enjoying it.

Future Contenders:

Age of Conan- I am looking forward to this one BIG TIME.  Big fan of Robert E Howards stories(for those who think of Conan as Arnold's depiction in the movies.....yikes. )  Innovative combat controls (complete with decapitations and gore), mounted combat, formations and mass battles, climbing skills to scale cliffs and buildings, and lots more stuff.

Warhammer:Age of Reckoning  -  I still play warhammer tabletop battles with my friends. Its our dark secret!  As a group of teachers, cops, and lawyers, we gather our armies up and wage war on eachother into the wee hours of the night.  We are all looking forward to our group trying WAR and see how it compares to recreating the tabletop feeling in an MMO, yet still allow solo content and roleplaying.

Darkfall- This is the underdog right now, but it may well end up the CHAMP.  The little info that has been given shows this to be my most anticipated game.  It seems to have all the stuff I have ever, as a gamer, said "wouldn't it be cool if......"          PVP all the time, yet with a real world sense of consequences for "evil" actions(npc guards attack, bounty hunters track you down...etc) It looks like they are doing a lot with racial wars and such as well.  Skill based system- AWSOME. Climbing skills for full exploration (and fun ambushes from high places-heh, heh) Naval combat, Seiges, and on and on.  I am rooting for these guys to pull this off.

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

Yep, all of the predictions in this thread turned out right. Warhammer, Lotro, Darkfall and the other all have millions of subscribers. While WoW can barely maintain a few hundred subs...

/s

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

I think all those games you guys mentioned will fail.

Ooops...

Dont read the date of my post.

Originally posted by strigoivii  in 1/21/06

its all about fallen earth ::::28::

Are you still alive dude? Your horse is going to be released soon.

Want to change bets? You still have time.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic will be the next big ones. Also people will be eagerly awaiting the announcement of  Blizzard's next mmo. 

Originally posted by h0lyspirit in 12/18/05

- Sun

- Granado Espada

- Chronicles Of SpellBorn

- Huxley

- Ragnarok Online 2

- Dark & Light
    These Are Just A Few Of The Games That Will Be "BIG" ::::29::

OMG, the guy said that in 2005! Amazing historic value.

Originally posted by seabass2003 in 1/08/06

I don't think there will be a next big MMORPG in the next 6 months to 2 years. I think it will be a game that isn't even on anyone's radar right now.

Maybe Age of Conan will be big but everyone will compare it to WoW subscribers and say it's not that big. Also what would be considered big nowadays?

OK, this guy is the winner!

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Meridian 59 will be the biggest game to run on Windows 95, you just watch.

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

I think World of Darkness Online will do pretty well if they don't A) lose funding or B) totally botch the implementation. They have a pretty large and loyal fan base.

But at least they have a good development team.

Quote me in 2012 ^_~

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Personally I was pretty excited for WAR and AoC, but the terrible launch for AoC and the sheer underwhelming lack of fun for WAR kinda killed those.

Currently I can't FREAKING WAIT for "Tera Online", "Continent of the Ninth", and "Blade & Soul" to come out!  Check out the videos below if your interested.

Tera Online

Continent of the Ninth

Blade & Soul

For me these games look like they have incredible graphics, new gameplay, cool new ideas, and crisp clean controls.

I am giving Aion a shot, but already in the BETA i am getting kinda bored.

• SwiftpainSwiftpain Member Posts: 35

Star wars, might. If it can take any size chunk out of the WoW crowd then you can get a ball rolling and make it huge. I mean, I stopped playing WoW cause it sucks now vs when it launched. I am a strong believer in not making a mmo easier.

The new star wars mmo looks ok, it will only really succed if it has ship combat, other wise its gonna be like every other mmo that is coming out.... its just gonna have a smaller and smaller crowd, and collect dust.

I think the current the trend in what people want in a mmo is changing... When WoW came out it was 3d graphics, changing your cloths, lots of items.

I feel the current trend is gonna be impersive. If some game company can't write a REALLY long and in depth story. We wont see another big mmo. Its just gonna be a avg one.

• R.E.DR.E.D Member Posts: 2

Mechscape

im just kidding