Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommend race/class for this kind of ship?

LeepeFoxLeepeFox Member Posts: 17

So I am looking to playing this game, I don’t know what race I should be. As for a ship, later on I would like something similar to a massive slow moving battleship with very large projectile guns made for taking out large ships. I would like it to have very thick armor and not really rely on energy shields for protection. What race/class would you recommend?

Comments

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161

The great thing about eve is that you can use and ship any weapon etc... you just need the skills.  One of the races subclasses etc.. that has the lower possible charisma which is the least needed in the game.

So to answer your first question you need to know a 2 things. First thing is the way to get the lower charisma possible which is going Caldari-Achura they are the race that get the lower charisma which allow you to put more points in other stats.  To get an idea of what kind of style/ships you want to fly go to http://www.eve-academy.eu/kainscionofbalance/FourRaces.html it has a decent overview of the races ships and style of play. You can fly the ships of other races you just need the skills, always keep it in mind. Caldari are shield/missile , Amaar use lasers/amour, Gallente use hybrid turrets/amour they also have the best drone ships and amour tanks, mimitar well who cares they suck.

I recomment you play the trial version before you pay and get into a corporation(a guild) they will guide you much better than any post here can.  So go caldari achura monk. The charater creation has completly changes since the last time i created a new character so get a guild they will help you alot

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Recker
    The great thing about eve is that you can use and ship any weapon etc... you just need the skills.  One of the races subclasses etc.. that has the lower possible charisma which is the least needed in the game.

So to answer your first question you need to know a 2 things. First thing is the way to get the lower charisma possible which is going Caldari-Achura they are the race that get the lower charisma which allow you to put more points in other stats.  To get an idea of what kind of style/ships you want to fly go to http://www.eve-academy.eu/kainscionofbalance/FourRaces.html it has a decent overview of the races ships and style of play. You can fly the ships of other races you just need the skills, always keep it in mind. Caldari are shield/missile , Amaar use lasers/amour, Gallente use hybrid turrets/amour they also have the best drone ships and amour tanks, mimitar well who cares they suck.

I recomment you play the trial version before you pay and get into a corporation(a guild) they will guide you much better than any post here can.  So go caldari achura monk. The charater creation has completly changes since the last time i created a new character so get a guild they will help you alot

Character races and blood lines no longer affect starting attributes...

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Go Gallante for armor and drone use.

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161

thats why i am happy i have an older character we get a slight buff then compared to the new ones

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

The Ship you're describing is an Abaddon class battleship, the tier 3 Amarr BS.

You'll be about 15 months in before you can really fly it properly though.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• suldunsuldun Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Malcanis

LOL since when does an abaddon run with guns?  yes u can put any gun on any ship, but he was very specific about that, Projectile part.  That would indicate minmatar since all of there ships are projectile based.  IF he stays on a specific path,  in 2 months he can fly it effectively, just not perfectly.

Properly is 3-5 months, 15 months is perfect skills.

Originally posted by suldun
    LOL since when does an abaddon run with guns?  yes u can put any gun on any ship, but he was very specific about that, Projectile part.  That would indicate minmatar since all of there ships are projectile based.  IF he stays on a specific path,  in 2 months he can fly it effectively, just not perfectly.

I doubt OP has any clue about EVE and when he says 'projectiles' he does not really mean minmatar weaponery in particular.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by suldun

The abaddon is one of those ships that can be flown well with lasers and lesser tank, or an incredible tank and projectiles..actually, projectile and amarr is one of the best choices if you want to fly around solo.

Not like it matters for the op, though. Just play the game, worry about theorycrafting later.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

One word:

V

E

R

T

I

C

A

L

Naglafar, theres no dread quite like it.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by LeepeFox
    So I am looking to playing this game, I don’t know what race I should be. As for a ship, later on I would like something similar to a massive slow moving battleship with very large projectile guns made for taking out large ships. I would like it to have very thick armor and not really rely on energy shields for protection. What race/class would you recommend?

Your starting attributes used to depend on your race and bloodline, but it doesn't anymore so you can pick whatever you like. Also You can always train for a different races ships, so you don't need to pick your race based off of the ships you like. Almost all players I've run into have cross trained to some degree.

Heavily armored, high damage battlehips are Amarr, but you will find that the amarr frigates and cruisers are comparatively lackluster. And as a new players you are going to want to only be flying frigates and cruisers in PvP.

You sound like you want to be using guns instead of missiles, so my specific recommendation is to start off Minmatar. Train up to a Hurricane so you can do lv 3 missions, then focus on skills to pimp out minmatar frigates and cruisers until you have all tech 2 guns and mods. Join a corp and learn PvP in these frigates and cruisers. Minmatar have some really good frigates and cruisers like the Rifter, Rupture, and Stabber, and it's common to see these small ships take out battleships 1v1 due to their high damage and speed. The big hulking battleships just can't hit them, and there are a lot of people flying battleships who don't have enough support skills (don't be one of these people).

Within a day you can fly an effective tackler frigate (an important PvP role), and within a month you can have a pimped out frigate. At least two months after that you could have a pimped out cruiser. The most important thing though it to join a new players friendly corporation such as Eve University. You are going to get burned out if you don't have people helping you along each step.

Note that the Assault Frigates, which are the easiest T2 ship to skill for, are about to get a massive boost; especially the minmatar AFs.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

"And to assist you on your way, I recommend you start with this guide as a great kickstart.

eve.battleclinic.com/guide/3510-BattleClinic-s-EVE-New-Player-Guide.html

And since you really can never read enough guides in EVE (I still do it 2+ years after starting) here's a great one on Everything Wormholes, the latest addition to EVE in your absence:

www.fiercewebs.com/arcdragon/wormhole.htm

but, just in case you thought mining might be a great idea this time around edit: version 3.0)

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

Learn it, live it love it!

There's a really good mission running channel which you can share your experiences with friends and sometimes even get an assist (or help others) in a mission. Name escapes me right now, but if you'd like to know send me a PM here and I'll look it up for you when I get home.

Speaking of which, great advice given above, join a noob training corp ASAP. There's a recruiting channel you can join in EVE, or you can look here for one that suits your purpose.

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp"

There's some more helpful info that was posted in response to my post - there is a lot of helpful info here...

Try not to be intimidated by the huge learning curve - it actually helps weed out people who ... wouldn't add positivily to the community heh - that's the nicest way I know how to put that.

I hope you enjoy eve - it's a pretty damn awesome game...

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Note that the Assault Frigates, which are the easiest T2 ship to skill for, are about to get a massive boost; especially the minmatar AFs.

really? where did the devs say this?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine
    Originally posted by Malcanis Note that the Assault Frigates, which are the easiest T2 ship to skill for, are about to get a massive boost; especially the minmatar AFs.

Yeah, that I would like to know too because I consider them superior to other races.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by LeepeFox

amarr and galente are armor using races.

as for big ship taking out big ship... i dont really know hows that going to work.

in this game fast moving frigates can take out big expensive ships if they know what they are doing.

anyway you might like dreadnought class ships. they are expensive, huge, slow, have extremely potent weapons, but are mostly used when attacking enemy outposts. it takes awhile to train skills for them ofcourse.

also take note... you can fit a lot of things on a lot of ships. that means that you can put some huge weapons on a smaller ship if you have good skills and sacrifice some other things like survivability etc.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

assault frigs are getting a 75% bonus to afterburners.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Xennith

A viable tackler again ??? about time truth is your better off w/ a jacked up cruiser ATM.

Originally posted by qazyman

A viable tackler again ??? about time truth is your better off w/ a jacked up cruiser ATM.

An AB AF will be about as fast as a MWD Cruiser, except that it will have about 10% of the sig radius. I pity the Cruiser - T1 or t2 - that gets tackled by one of these beasts

Originally posted by Xennith assault frigs are getting a 75% bonus to afterburners.

An AB AF will be about as fast as a MWD Cruiser, except that it will have about 10% of the sig radius. I pity the Cruiser - T1 or t2 - that gets tackled by one of these beasts

I was about to applaud for some reasonable change in ship balancing since introducing a drone bandwith but after reading the official post, I sadly found out that this idea does not come from CCP but forums and CSM...

Doh, almost thought there is a person with half a brain in the dev team...well, may be next time.

Good move anyway.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I was about to applaud for some reasonable change in ship balancing since introducing a drone bandwith but after reading the official post, I sadly found out that this idea does not come from CCP but forums and CSM...

Doh, almost thought there is a person with half a brain in the dev team...well, may be next time.

Good move anyway.

Jesus man, you could find something to complain about if CCP just gave you the fucking company.

"What, I have to go all the way to Iceland to sign for it? DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA? WHY DO THEY HATE ME SO!"

Jesus man, you could find something to complain about if CCP just gave you the fucking company.
    "What, I have to go all the way to Iceland to sign for it? DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA? WHY DO THEY HATE ME SO!"

What? Why would I need to go all the way to Iceland indeed, are they nuts?! Never heard of postal service? Jesus...fucking carebears!

Note: I would sold CCP to SOE or MS anyway, day after signing the treaty.
    Well, maybe not right day after, I might have invited T20 back and had some fun in New Eden with all my BoB fellows!

Yeah, that I would like to know too because I consider them superior to other races.

the ishkur and vengeance would like to have a word with you....

Good you brought up those two. You can guess how well will Vengeance do against the Ishkur...

Good you brought up those two. You can guess how well will Vengeance do against the Ishkur...

would be an interesting fight, but i would put my money on the vengeance. (lol amarr) But i would also put my money on the ishkur or vengeance over both/any minmatar AFs.