Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's my sandbox??

2»

Comments

• LorkenLorken Member Posts: 17

the only problem with wurm is the maaasive! grind you have to deal with. Probably the only sandbox game I've ever liked was UO I wish a 3d version was made :(

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Whitetree

the players decide what the game is about.

No, it is the devs, the game design that tells what the game is about.

That is the point of any game - to achieve some objective.

What is an objective of your game?

What I meant was, in a sandbox there are any number of objectives. Be a great crafter to assist your clan. Be a hunter that seeks out those hard to find materials to supply your crafters. Defend/conquer territories to garner control and power for your clan. Develop a small center of influence where you can try to live away from all the conflict. There is nothing attractive to me about the developers saying, "Hey guys, here's the uber bad guy you have to kill." Or, "Go here and fight these 'demons'." I don't want a directive; give me options. Freedom is the heart and soul of any sandbox.

I think I get what you're saying, though. Honestly, I like Darkfall's concept of open warfare and territorial control. I haven't heard anything much about it's crafting or economy, but if resources are tied to territory, then that's great because you have to control an area to reap the resources that are crafted into gear which help you fight.The thing that keeps me away from DF is the poor sales system (I have no desire to give up my acct info to some hacker), the requirement for hardcore committment and, in part, the community.  Also, Aion's endgame is sounding a lot like what I'd imagine a great RvR setting to be with the third faction of the Balaur invading, but sadly Aion is no sandbox (not even close). I have little desire to grind for weeks or months on end before I can enjoy a game (see my original post).

In the end, I want a game that will support nearly any decision I make as a player. If I want to live as a wandering healer that is trying to spread compassion and kindness amidst bloody warfare, I want to have that option. If I want to be a freelance hunter, let me. I don't want to be forced into becoming a "hero" just like everybody else.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Asheron-Ray

http://www.alganon.com ?
    You can look at the above, I have not read much but I have seen allot OF old AC players on thier boards....

Alganon is interesting, but I have doubts about it's gameplay. It looks like it may be quest-based, and therefore somewhat (if not entirely) linear in nature. The classes and skills and character development seem to have some potential, but again we'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like at release.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180