Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need someone to push me over the fence.

TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Right now im just standing here reading ever review I possibly can on this game but im still undecided.  Several weeks ago I decided that I would play CO instead of Aion, that is looking like more and more of a mistake.  And I really do not want to make that same mistake agian expecially when its going to cost another 50 bucks.

So if anyone has that time maybe you could answer these few questions that I have.

1.  Are there any group instances in this game.  By that I mean like instances of WOW (Deadmines, SFK, MC, Gnomeregan, etc).  And if so at what level do they begin to have them.

2.  How balanced are they classes atm.  Are there classes that are clearly overpowerd and if so does NCsoft make a point to try to balance these classes?

3.  To people group up alot in this game or does everyone seem to be a lone wolf? 

4.  How would you rate this games longevity?  Does it seem like something that will be viable in 6 or so months or is it more like a 2 month wonder that will crash and burn.

Thats all that I can think of atm, so if anyone would please take the time to answer that I would really appreciate it.

------------------------------
You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Comments

• LordDevilLordDevil Member UncommonPosts: 253

I played this game in korea to level 40 too so maybe I can give you some answers...

1) Yes there are and several new ones added in Version V1.5 - some are easier, some are harder with scripted bosses etc. - maybe they are not as complex as WoWs gnomeragan ones, but to be true I havent yet seen the high level instances...

2) Each classes have their own advatanges... I would say its pretty good balanced in what you want to do with your class - didnt here a lot of issues regarding balancing. For classes abilities I highly suggest you http://www.aionarmory.com

3) You can do both, but in groups you will have several advantages - there are also several group related bosses and missions to do.

4) Longevity is something I set very high on Aion, because I played 3 months in Korea, got level 40 and there was so much to do - but I couldnt complete it because I stopped playing there to wait for EU launch. But this was at V1.0 - now they are launching EU version on same version as korean one -> that means V1.5 where a lot of content got added in previous content patches... so content wise Aion shouldnt have any problems at its start, there is neraly about 8 months of additional content added...

I highly suggest you to try this game, because well its simply very plished and high detailed in comparision to most other MMO launches...

You can also get more info on the official Powerwiki of Aion -> http://powerwiki.na.aiononline.com/aion - its still not complete but they did a very good work in providing you info about nearly anything of Aion - it still far from completed like the one in korea, but they keep updating it.

Currently playing: Archeage
    Waiting for: Black Desert

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Right now im just standing here reading ever review I possibly can on this game but im still undecided.  Several weeks ago I decided that I would play CO instead of Aion, that is looking like more and more of a mistake.  And I really do not want to make that same mistake agian expecially when its going to cost another 50 bucks.

So if anyone has that time maybe you could answer these few questions that I have.

1.  Are there any group instances in this game.  By that I mean like instances of WOW (Deadmines, SFK, MC, Gnomeregan, etc).  And if so at what level do they begin to have them.
    2.  How balanced are they classes atm.  Are there classes that are clearly overpowerd and if so does NCsoft make a point to try to balance these classes?
    3.  To people group up alot in this game or does everyone seem to be a lone wolf? 
    4.  How would you rate this games longevity?  Does it seem like something that will be viable in 6 or so months or is it more like a 2 month wonder that will crash and burn.

Thats all that I can think of atm, so if anyone would please take the time to answer that I would really appreciate it.

1) yes there is, the first one is a fortress trainer that starts at lvl25, it just shows you how to take over a fortress,  All the other instances (group) start at lvl30 and most of them are at lvls40-50 (all are group play and one is pvp instance).

2) at early lvls not really (a few classes are  but some stand out). When you get closer to max lvl things start to change and the classes start to get more balanced, but remember some classes shine at solo pvp while others do better in groups.

3) Tons of lone wolf but the fastest lvlers all do group content (fighting elites and higher lvl mobs).

4) I really can't say about that one, it all depends on end game content and how much they will add by the time i get there.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• I got to lvl 24 in OB as a Templar, after lvl 20 the game really opens up and i got to try open world PVP (rifting) as well as group questing.  Sadly I never got to lvl 25 to enter the Abyss instances but I did do a lot of Rifting and it was the most fun I've had in a very long time, (since Stranglethorn Vale world pvp back in WoW's infancy).  I had a great time playing Aion, and truth be told I haven't been this excited about a new MMO being released (that I've beta tested) in almost 3 years since I quit WoW.

I beta tested Fallen Earth and was planning on playing that but they still had lots of memory leaks and bugs when they moved to OB, the concept is good but everywhere u go its the same broken down town with the same NPCs (yes i made it to Sector 2).  I'll admit the first 10 levels of Aion were generic and dull.. but once I picked my class and started hunting elite bosses around lvl 16 I was hooked.

1. From lvls 1-20 there aren't instances, but there are elite zones with several bosses, as well as quests that go along with them.  They have 10 seperate channels for the starting zones so that the servers aren't so crowded, especially when make a group to go kill boss X in the elite area.  I believe once you get higher there are instances similar to WoW.  Also I should mention that there are campaign quests and normal quests... campaign quests are fully voiced cut scenes that advance the main story... you can skip all the common quests and just group grind elites to lvl up tho, more loot and money that way.

2. For the most part, PVP is a group encounter and with even numbers the fights come very close.  I had a tough time 1v1 against clerics and rangers because as a templar i'm not really a dps class, clerics outlast my dmg... rangers kite me easily, but I owned most assassins, gladiators, chanters and sorc/sm by using a 2h sword and switching to 1h/shield to stun bash.   I know for sure that closer to endgame everyone is pretty even and it will come down to what skills and skill chains u use as well as how well you use your environment, ontop of gear/manastone slots and lvl difference.

3. If you try to go solo you will have a tough time, especially in world pvp.  Often ppl travel in groups of 3-6 otherwise they travel as an alliance (raid) but grinding quests solo is not hard at all you'll just have to buy potions etc.  You'll have fun when you see a few RED players run by you being chased after a mob of friendly players, and you end up being the one to root/stun slow them so everyone can mow them down.  In Aion you'll be more inclined to party with random players or to tag along with a raid going to Rift.  It's especially exciting when your raid meets an opposing faction raid and then RvR starts.  Think Alterac Valley when it first opened and the matches would go on for 10+ hours... with the exception that players will resurrect wherever they place their Kisk (NPC bought item) and they will stop resurrecting if you're able to find their Kisk and destroy it.  RvR doesn't last 10+ hours but it can turn into a zone wide effort to crush the invading players.  I can't wait to get into the Abyss!!!

4. With 1.5 patch they added a ton of PVE content.  The endgame is for the most part RvR but they've fleshed out all the leveling so you can either do quests or just grind, they will level you at the same speed.  From what we've heard about endgame PVE in 1.5 its similar to doing Heroics, as in worth doing for the loot but not where the best of the best gear comes from.  The real fun comes from RvR when you have 2 raids competing over the PVE bosses in the Abyss.  With the additions they made in 1.5 you can literally quest your way to lvl 50 if you so desire and your experience will akin to WoW 1-60.  This is how they westernized Aion, but by no means do they punish grinding mobs for leveling like WoW does.

The 1-20 quests introduce the 3rd race, the Baluar dragon race, which i suspect will carry its way to endgame as well as keep new content, PvPvE, RvR and a lot more coming out as they progress the game through patches.  Looking at the depth of the storylines and how it shapes the Aion universe I suspect the longevity of Aion will last many years to come.  They have built a polished game with a great combat system and game engine that can handle massive RvR situations, it all ties into the central storylines very well.  I did a total 180 on my opinion of this game once i saw some PVP videos and actually got to play it past lvl 20.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Thanks guys or the responses im offically pushed over the fence lol.

Sounds like this game is just what I was looking for. 

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Hope you have a good time in Aion

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Yeah Aion is a lot of fun.  Hardest part is picking which class to play!!!! I'm so divided between Sorc and Cleric!!!

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

I checked out the Ob and found out pretty fast I couldn't stomach the incessant grinding... it's pretty much the worst I've ever seen.  I think part of it is that the numbers are smallish.  For example you may be asked to kill 6 red goofuses and 10 blue goofuses.  Well once you get to the kill area it doesn't take long to knock them out and it's time to start the run back already.  Then you do it again.  And Again.  And Again... you get the point. 

I've played games like this before but they didn't require me to pay the 50-60 bux to buy it and the 15bux a month.  I can name 2 games off the top of my head that will be just as rewarding and fun to play and you can do it for free.  Soul of the Ultimate Nation and Ether Saga online.  Both have really nice graphics and actually I prefer Ether Saga online's graphics over most anything I've ever played.  It's an amazing game and I'm sure it'll get better as they tweak things over time.  Not to mention Runes of Magic and it's expansion coming out!  I don't know why people want to rush out and jump on the bandwagon when there is so much free content out there to explore atm. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by choujiofkono

I checked out the Ob and found out pretty fast I couldn't stomach the incessant grinding... it's pretty much the worst I've ever seen.  I think part of it is that the numbers are smallish.  For example you may be asked to kill 6 red goofuses and 10 blue goofuses.  Well once you get to the kill area it doesn't take long to knock them out and it's time to start the run back already.  Then you do it again.  And Again.  And Again... you get the point. 
         I've played games like this before but they didn't require me to pay the 50-60 bux to buy it and the 15bux a month.  I can name 2 games off the top of my head that will be just as rewarding and fun to play and you can do it for free.  Soul of the Ultimate Nation and Ether Saga online.  Both have really nice graphics and actually I prefer Ether Saga online's graphics over most anything I've ever played.  It's an amazing game and I'm sure it'll get better as they tweak things over time.  Not to mention Runes of Magic and it's expansion coming out!  I don't know why people want to rush out and jump on the bandwagon when there is so much free content out there to explore atm. 

Seriously? You call Aion grinding? And on top of that, the worst grinding you have ever seen? Seriously, I have played a lot of MMO's both pay to play and free and let me say that this game is far, oh so very far away from the worst grinding anyone could see. heck, I like and actually play Runes Of Magic and like it, and it actually has more grinding in it then Aion does at least in the higher levels.

What you are describing is most definatly not what I consider grinding. If I understand what your saying, What your really saying is you hate doing so many quests which is actually the exact opposite of grinding. You do realize with your statement, there is absolultely no MMO that will ever satisfy you. Your either going to hate to have to grind or to have to quest which both are the biggest part of every MMO out there. Heck, you want to see a real grind? Go play Silk Road. Let me know how you enjoy those "quests" that require you to kill hundreds of mobs.See, they did it better, they actually give you quests so that you are forced to grind.

You really should consider a new type of game style as its obvious by your post that MMO's are NOT for you.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Awesome glad to see another person joining, I'm trying to decide between a gladiator, sorcer, cleric or assassin, which means I'm still jolly well screwed lol

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'll keep it nice and short, no walls of text here.

1) There are group instances in this game, though I don't think they start until later in the game (late 30s-40s). However, for the lower areas there are group portions of the map that you can't really do much in without a group (you'll die).

2) The classes are pretty balanced atm, but there are certain classes that shine (especially at end game). People do trend towards the following classes though: Templar, Sorcerer, Assassin, Ranger.

3) People group fairly often in this game. Elites give a good amount of exp (even after the exp nerf) and the quests give A LOT of exp. Plus the quest areas usually have bosses that drop some pretty nice gear.

4) I'd say this game will last at least a few years. It's already a huge success in the East, and NCSoft has a pretty good track record when it comes to MMOs. It might be less in the West, though, because we tend to be a very finnicky crowd to please.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I will not push anyone over the fence to play this because this is a very vanilla game. There is really nothing in Aion anyone hasn't seen before. What makes it appealing is the fact that the game will be polished and alot like the graphics. Because of the failed launches and success of War and AOC, this looks like a fantastic game but sadly it is not. Wait for The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

I will not push anyone over the fence to play this because this is a very vanilla game. There is really nothing in Aion anyone hasn't seen before. What makes it appealing is the fact that the game will be polished and alot like the graphics. Because of the failed launches and success of War and AOC, this looks like a fantastic game but sadly it is not. Wait for The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2.

Have to differ with your opinion there.  The addition of flight (and its limits) in the game drastically alter the PvP environment and tactics needed to be successful.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

You'll have a good time-lots to do!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Even though I'm a fan of Aion and Aion will be my main game, I'm going to offer an opinion that is a bit more taciturn.

1, There are group instances in the game though you probably won't see them until a little later. There are some grouping areas where you need a group but a good part of the game that I have seen pre 25 can be soloed. However, if you can be in a group it  will be better for you as you will be better able to deal with any gankers or just any enemy players. However, this is not a group game like older games. It feels very much like wow or lotro in that a good part of your quests can be soloed. if you can get into a good legion you will have a greater chance to enjoy what group content is available.

2, I do think the classes are balanced ver well but there are some that certainly shine in one or the other area and some that do extremely well but fold quite easily (sorcerer I'm looking at you). Quite frankly you are never going to have a perfectly balanced game. And in the case of this game where the pvp is group based, you are going to rely upon your legion buddies in pvp. If you are not in a legion you might have a difficult time. The nice thing is that this is a rvr game so you can find help if you see that you are being charged. Then again, there are players who want nothing to do with pvp and they will run rather than help.

3, I really do see more of the lone wolf type player. there are of course players shouting for group, but as I said above, most of the content can be done solo. I even offered some players my assistance as I saw that they were getting down time but they just kept on doing the quests and were not interested. If you are looking for a final fantasy type game where you must rely upon others then this is not that game. With the exception of the group instances or raids of course. As for pvp, there are lone wolf players but you will see shouts for "asmo hunting" or "Elyos hunting". Pvp tends to lean toward groups for the obvious reasons.

4, The longevity is fine. this isn't going to be a powerhouse game as wow as this game does rely upon a good amount of pvp content and there are many people who just aren't into it. But it is polished and well done and very nice to look at as far as art design. I don't see this game folding in the months ahead.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by choujiofkono

Are you being serious?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Very typical. Lets get excited for the next big ip games which we know nothing about only to be dissapointed again.

Aion is an excellent game from what I have seen thus far.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Yes and PVPVE instances

Very balanced in PVP 1v1 will never balance but group pvp does
    Grouping up is far more viable XP wise if you don't IMO your gimping yourself
    For me its gonna be years theres absolutely nothing on the horizon that appeals to me and having played Aion in one form or another since Jan I am nowhere near bored of it or feel I know everything about the game.

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I honestly don't see why people need to buy MMOs when they first come out.

Wait the two months and see what happens.
    ---
    The leveling curve seems a little slower than some other games. It might give the impression of being grindy just due to not being as fast as others.

• LordDevilLordDevil Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by neoterrar

I honestly don't see why people need to buy MMOs when they first come out.
    Wait the two months and see what happens.

---

The leveling curve seems a little slower than some other games. It might give the impression of being grindy just due to not being as fast as others.

No need for me to wait 1-2 month... since I played Aion in Korea already for 3 months, I know that this game is in a perfect shape. Can't wait to finally start on EU servers soon :)

Currently playing: Archeage
    Waiting for: Black Desert

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by TeranHawkins

Yeah Aion is a lot of fun.  Hardest part is picking which class to play!!!! I'm so divided between Sorc and Cleric!!!

So am I, can't deceide between those two.

Usually i'd go and play them both, like playing the sorc solo and the cleric with my friends or in groups. But i've read various postings in which people said that in Aion you rather stay with one main class, not a game to twink much in.