Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions

KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Just got into beta and at first, the lack of game speed really bugged me. I've got an XP3200+, 1GB RAM, and a GF FX5600Ultra 128MB, and the game, at LOWEST quality only runs about 24fps which is just BARELY playable. After a few minutes of playing, however, I'm willing to forgive them for not getting the graphic problems ironed out. The camera needs a little work, but the core gameplay is excellent and reminds me a LOT of Ultima Online in all the good ways. Just the feel of the game very much harkens to it. Character movement is a bit slow, but, again, I'll wait it out before making a final judgement. It is only beta 2. Great base to build from, can't wait to see where this goes.

Comments

• psychoduckpsychoduck Member Posts: 59

You should be able to get much much better framerates! I'd suggest you post this at the official beta forums to get some help from the devs. I have a p4 2.4, 768ram and a 9800SE and I can run it at max settings.

And idd Wish will chage alot from this open beta till the release. (wich is atleast 6 months away)

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

I did post on the official forum...but I'm at work right now and can't remember the web link to the beta forum...anyone wanna PM it to me?

Originally posted by beatbox
    I dont know but my own first impression got deleted,gives a good idea.image BETA TESTED : Everything
    Playing : HL2, EQ2
    Waiting for : D&DO, MEO, D&L

Wow why did they got deleted? There are other treads that can be deleted but a players first impressions...
    Too bad.

The forum url isn't a serect:)
    http://forums.mutablerealms.com/vbulletin/index.php
    A lot more testers should visit them.

• ShumpShump Member Posts: 116

dam it sucks to be me got a 96 mb video card of crap dosent even have a name well if low quality is this bad dam i be lucky to get like 5fps ::::11::

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Uhm... you cant have a 96mb video card, thats impossible...

but anyways, whats the commandto get your fps?

I get the feeling I'm having some strange graphic problem. I wouldn't take my performance a good example of how it SHOULD run. Hopefully I can get things worked out and get things running smooth.

Thanks for the link...hm...seems to be down.

I use a program called FRAPS. Will show you the FPS in any game. Much easier than memorizing commands.

• NemonyteNemonyte Member Posts: 49

Being a goal oriented player, I'm not a hige fan of the game. you don't really levekl, just improve your skills. The game will require ridiculous amounts of time searching vendors and such to find simple items, such as tongs, saddle bags and such. Another thing i didn't like, which could be fixed yet, is that at my startuing town I learned archery, but there is no bowyer there. I had to run to the next town at level zero to get it. Also being goal oriented, I found a lack of things to do. supposedly you can read the local newspaper and glean tasks from that. I much prefer the WoW system in which gameoplay revolves around accomplishing something. I do however think the ability system is diverse. I like that there isn't just a swing ability, for example with a sword there is swing and stab which you start out with. I liked the tutorial although I hope it's an option when you decide to start over. I noticed some respawn problems. My start town was Coulock or spmething like that but when I died maybe 20 yards out of town, I spawned in some E... town that was some distance across the map. I think the game has great potential for players who enjoy open game play. This game appears to be entirely about your character and what abilities you master with him/her. Another great thing was the custimizability of the character appearance. There are many options as to skin,eye, and hair color as well as features, but the hair styles and facial hair styles were lacking. This is based on a few hours of playing, so don't judge the game on my opinion alone. I'll probably revise my thoughts as I continue to test it.

Reality is not all it's cracked up to be...That's why there are video games

Reality is not all it's cracked up to be...That's why there are video games

Server is down atm. And believe me they're working on the performance issues.

Ah, so when the servers down, the beta forum often goes down too? Damn. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Kane
    Ah, so when the servers down, the beta forum often goes down too? Damn. Thanks for the help.
    No most of the times the forums stay online, I guess they have some unexpected problems.

Aaaah...ok. Even with the diminished performance, I can't wait to get time to play again...HOPEFULLY tonight.

All right! MR was on top of it and it turns out they are having driver issues with EAX. I switched to generic sound drivers (in game) and all is well...still have to run at low quality to get good frame rates, but still looks great. Tip1! Use trade skills to improve stats for awhile. You WILL get gang-raped by low level mobs. Alternately, team up for awhile.

• SaranumSaranum Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by Kane
    All right! MR was on top of it and it turns out they are having driver issues with EAX. I switched to generic sound drivers (in game) and all is well...still have to run at low quality to get good frame rates, but still looks great.

I don't know but I don't think thats true, I run Wish with my Audigy 2 ZS pl, and EAX 4 enabled, and it runs
    smooth!

----------------------------------------
    Evil UO has doomed my poor soul, and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

----------------------------------------
    Evil UO has doomed my poor soul and now I'm wandering restlessly through all MMORPG's, desperately searching for a place to rest in peace.....

May only effect EAX1. I've only got an Audigy 1, so thats what I'm stuck with. Its probably the hardest one to work with. No big deal to me, sounds better with the generic drivers at this point anyway.

• nephillimnephillim Member Posts: 291

i'm using the Milesfast 2D sound. is this the best performance wise?

-it's just a dream-

[we need a worldwide genocide/ a planetary suicide/ and when the whole damned world is dead/ there''s your f***ing peace]

Originally posted by nephillim
    i'm using the Milesfast 2D sound. is this the best performance wise?-it's just a dream-
    I don't know what's the best but the Miles one isn't. It's a software driver, you better use an hardware accelerated one.

And to check if the servers are online: http://www.stratics.com/content/portals/wish/serverstatus/index.php

• lynnelynne Member Posts: 34

YAY!  I played.  Only for an hour, but so far I liked it.  I was actually surprised with the amount of customization that you could have in character creation.  I did find char creation a little laggy, but not so bad.

PnC takes getting used to for sure.  But it isn't too bad once you get a feel for it.  I actaully like the find NPC, which seems to do the PnC, then path you to the NPC.  It freaked me out at first cuz I just started running.  LOL

HATE the hit and miss animations tho.  Big red cartoony letters that are totally out of place.  The backgrounds are really nice.  Actually, while the graphics aren't as detailed as some other games, they are quite nice.  The colour is amazing!

• KovyKovy Member UncommonPosts: 22

I just got my email this morning :) so im going to be playing it soon and ill give my opinion.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by lynne
    YAY!  I played.  Only for an hour, but so far I liked it.  I was actually surprised with the amount of customization that you could have in character creation.  I did find char creation a little laggy, but not so bad.
    PnC takes getting used to for sure.  But it isn't too bad once you get a feel for it.  I actaully like the find NPC, which seems to do the PnC, then path you to the NPC.  It freaked me out at first cuz I just started running.  LOL
    HATE the hit and miss animations tho.  Big red cartoony letters that are totally out of place.  The backgrounds are really nice.  Actually, while the graphics aren't as detailed as some other games, they are quite nice.  The colour is amazing!

Grrrr, I am still waiting for my email but I signed up really late.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

HATE the hit and miss animations tho.

They are aware that they don't look good. It will change to morre a wish like style.

• ReserReser Member UncommonPosts: 15

I guess I am just lucky, i signed up on last day of beta registration and got my invite on the morning of the 2nd of january,

So far game seems ok, not all it was hyped to be, but not a bad game with decent playability.

• lynnelynne Member Posts: 34
    About those animations, I kinda figured they got oodles of feedback on that already! image  So far it's at least as good as the original EQ, heh minus the obscene lag...:)

heh minus the obscene lag...:)
    It isn't lag, you probly have a low framerate.
    Lag != framerate.