Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rushing to get to End Game. Why?

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Does it have anything to do with these questions?

Endgame is where everyone is more equal so you aren't at a disadvantage?

Most players are at this point?

Endgame is where players make goals?

Or being at endgame they feel like they have won or beat the game?

I like how some games have an approach to where the end of the game is not limited to soon after max level(or have a max "level") or isn't reachable in less than a year.

• youngjedi81youngjedi81 Member Posts: 6

i never rush i enjoy every drop of the mmo's i play.

• Rafterman414Rafterman414 Member Posts: 21

I actually hate the term "End Game". If I am paying money to play an MMO then I would like to think that it did not end. I do feel that people rush to get to "End Game" because the content in between feels like a chore and something that you just want to hurry up and get past. Also I think one of the biggest reasons why people want to get to "End Game" content is because they feel like they have something to prove and feel like being better then the other players is something important and really matters to them in their lives. I remember playing Asheron's Call back when it first came out and playing on the PvP server Darktide, there was really no end game just alot of open PvP and trying to level and get better gear to survive.  

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

I have to say that my guild rushes to the end of MMOs when they're first released. We don't immediately start on "end-game" content afterwards though. Instead, upon reaching level cap, we procedurally take a look around the entire world, and just enjoy it... without worrying about agroing mobs or other players. Of course, we also dislike griefers, which I'm guessing there are some on here who will read through this thread. Why grief? That's a better question imho. Kill me once, good on ya. Kill me twice, then you know you're better. Kill me three times...? Now, you're not trying to prove anything, other than you're a douche.

No clue where that came from as I haven't REALLY played an MMO in almost a year (might try RoM soon...), but everything else out there is just boring to me. Digressing...

Sorry for the sidebar folks. As I said, end-game first, then I enjoy. Now when SW:TOR comes out, I think we're gonna change our tune. It's been something my guild has been wanting for a long time. BioWare+MMO=PewPewBlizzgoBOOM!!!

THE Rooster Nash

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Rafterman414

I actually hate the term "End Game". If I am paying money to play an MMO then I would like to think that it did not end. I do feel that people rush to get to "End Game" because the content in between feels like a chore and something that you just want to hurry up and get past. Also I think one of the biggest reasons why people want to get to "End Game" content is because they feel like they have something to prove and feel like being better then the other players is something important and really matters to them in their lives. I remember playing Asheron's Call back when it first came out and playing on the PvP server Darktide, there was really no end game just alot of open PvP and trying to level and get better gear to survive.  

It's going to have an end to content either way.  Just because AC1 didn't cap levels doesn't mean there wasn't a point where you ran out of interesting, distinct content.  An end to interesting, distinct content definitely existed with AC1.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• colep53colep53 Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by Thradar

mmos have turned gaming from adventuring, fun, and excitement in to collecting "things."  You can only collect the best "things" at endgame.  So why not rush there?  How do you progress?  By accumulating more/new "things."  This is the mentality that is ruining the online genre...IMO.

This is probably the most true statment I have ever read here. Time and time again i try to explain to my buddies who are new MMOers how the old games used to be and they just dont get it. They always wanted to know what kind of gear you got. Its a sad thing.

-Gosh you're cute. Wanna buy a monkey?

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I think Guild Wars has some good ideas about how to not put so much pressure on "Rush to the End" playstyle. . . and games that use a Mentor system as well.

For the most part, the reason I always felt "rushed" was I would start a character, have a friend that was higher level than I and wanted to group with em, so I'd try to rush through the grind, and never seemed to catch up most of the time because other person was leveling too and playing the game. Or, group with a few people, and the next day they're a few levels ahead, and then play like hell trying to keep up.

Another reason is say PvP... but another big reason was farming for me. I'd rush a high damage AoE toon usually to "endgame", so I could have an effective farmer to twink out characters I'd like to take my time with and enjoy playing, rather than worry about gear or feeling underpowered if I wanted to solo a bit.

Some classes don't shine till mid-late levels. Remember playing a Priest in early WoW, could never find groups for quests or anyone that needed a healer in early levels EXCEPT for constant runs in instances. The only thing that made me sane playing it was twinking the character out till I could effectively grind on do the Shadow thing.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270
    Originally posted by rejad

To use your restaurant analogy, in MMO's leveling is the appetizer and the 'endgame' is the actual meal.  The only thing is that the appetizer is boiled cabbage and you have to eat an entire room full of it first. All the effort is put into the endgame.
    All the content being made is for the end game. Other players aren't even interested in you until you have something to offer them, which in most MMO's sadly doesn't occur until endgame. People want to solo leveling so all leveling content is soloable, no reason to group. The game designers don't want to put in XP bonuses for grouping because dividing XP has been done since Gary Gygax crawled out of his mother's basement sometime in the mid-60's and why would anyone even think of doing something, you know, DIFFERENT?
    All interaction is at the end game. All new content is at the end game. You are useless to the rest of the players until you hit the end game. Maybe you enjoy reading the weak excuse stories behind the 500th "go here and kill 10 of this" quest you've done somewhere half-way to max level, but most people don't.

This post is it in a nut shell, you just have to actually 'read' what he wrote. They rush to the endgame because they have a NEED to be accepted by others. They feel the only way to be recognized is by being a part of a perceived 'in crowd'. This 'in crowd' however won't recognize you unless you are useful to them, which requires you to have skipped the rest of the game and gotten directly to the end.

This mentality is exactly why I normally avoid the rush to the endgame, not because I can't, but because I have no desire to 'hang out' with anyone who follows this philosophy. I find it flawed, not just in the sense of MMORPG playing but in life itself. I am happy with who I am and what I have accomplished in life, I dont need others to tell me how great I am or accept me into thier click to feel I am a success. But yeah, thats why they do it in games.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• neo750aneo750a Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Originally posted by Spankthetoad

I have come across area's in Guildwars that my Guild was not even aware of 1 year into the first game.  So as they say take your time and smell the roses.  You may fine that you enjoy the game much more that way. :}

But, what people who don't play GW don't know is that GW is ALL end-game.  Getting to level 20, especially if you start with Factions or Nightfall, is not particularly time-consuming.  After that, everything else, by definition, is end-game.  And, if you think your game world is large, try getting all the Cartographer titles in GW.

GW is not all about end game.  pvp wise of course but definately not in GW Prophecies.  It was an extremely long campaign that taught you about your character and party, the story, and exploring the environment.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Liltawen

I think 'Endgames' are a holdover from the old linear PC gaming world.
    Theoretically an MMO wouldn't have one-just an environment that your character would wander around in doing whatever adventures that interest you.
    Even the big Theme park MMOs are this way to a degree (in LOTRO you don't Have to do the Book Quests for example). A true MMO would never really have an 'End"
    I think it's a holdover for newbe gamers who haven't figured out the MMO universe yet.

All of todays mmos have an endgame. only difference with the newer games is you have two and sometimes three endgames to choose from.

Its a step up but still not as good as the old sandbox games like UO and SWG.

EvE has no real endgame. It actually has that "environment you can wander around in doing whatever interests you". Granted, the environments aren't to everyone's taste, bu t then that will be true of any game.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I have played many online games and have seen this though the years.  Game comes out and there is this mad rush to get to the end game.  I don't get it. I mean we don't go to a fine restaurant and wolf down the food as fast as we can.  I hope you do not make love like that either lol.  I think to many players are missing the point of online gaming its not always the finish its the journey.  There is so much to see and find in online gaming that i think you miss so much rushing that you really miss out on much of the game.  I have come across area's in Guildwars that my Guild was not even aware of 1 year into the first game.  So as they say take your time and smell the roses.  You may fine that you enjoy the game much more that way. :}

I usually find that the ones that rush to the end often don't have the necessary skills to play their character to its fullest. To fully understand how to play a character or class you need to try it from multiple angles, and that takes time and effort.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i think the problem is twofold

one the one hand we have all grinded to max level in so many games before and there is only so many different ways you can change things up

On the other hand the devs seem to focus almost entirelly on the endgame...WoW has been out for what...5 years now and its only just started to revamp old areas.  The other side of this is that there is too much weak content on the way to max level which leads to people rushing though.  This is either the devs fault (little innovation or ideas being tossed around) or the communities fault (avoiding certain zones, clumping in areas or avoiding grouping).

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80

Easy awnser. Mmo's are easyer than non mmo's now.  How many games out there have you go out there have you go kill 10 rats bring there heads back and get tones amount of exp or you loot somthing stupid on the ground (collection type). I dont have facts but im postive most poeple will play an easyer game than a challanging game. Very few games have hosntly done well where rushing to endgame dosn't matter. a few examples  everquest orignaly was big exploring and quests meaned somthing in that game (reward was well worth it).But in that game alot of the quests requird alot of effort. ddo has content for all levels and realy dont feel the rush to level but more to explore.   AOC WOW eq2 anyother clone is same game diffrent skin -  go kill rats bring there heads back level up fast and effortless. guss what now there maken the end game content effortless to .  It's defently only about the dollar welcome to effortless/skill less gaming experances era.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Death1942

i think the problem is twofold
    one the one hand we have all grinded to max level in so many games before and there is only so many different ways you can change things up
    On the other hand the devs seem to focus almost entirelly on the endgame...WoW has been out for what...5 years now and its only just started to revamp old areas.  The other side of this is that there is too much weak content on the way to max level which leads to people rushing though.  This is either the devs fault (little innovation or ideas being tossed around) or the communities fault (avoiding certain zones, clumping in areas or avoiding grouping).

Interestingly Age of COnan has just announced their expansion and indicated that they will be introducing content from level 20-80 with no increase in levels... it will be interesting to see the response to this expansion when it is released.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by haratu

I have played many online games and have seen this though the years.  Game comes out and there is this mad rush to get to the end game.  I don't get it. I mean we don't go to a fine restaurant and wolf down the food as fast as we can.  I hope you do not make love like that either lol.  I think to many players are missing the point of online gaming its not always the finish its the journey.  There is so much to see and find in online gaming that i think you miss so much rushing that you really miss out on much of the game.  I have come across area's in Guildwars that my Guild was not even aware of 1 year into the first game.  So as they say take your time and smell the roses.  You may fine that you enjoy the game much more that way. :}

I usually find that the ones that rush to the end often don't have the necessary skills to play their character to its fullest. To fully understand how to play a character or class you need to try it from multiple angles, and that takes time and effort.

Divide any game's population into Fast and Slow Levelers.

I assure you that in any accomplishment-based competition (PVE or PVP) the Fast Levelers will do better on average.

There will be Fast guys who suck, and Slow guys who rock (due to free time being the reason they leveled fast or slow) but on average the Fast guys will outperform the slow ones.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

end game.  I donOriginally posted by Spankthetoad
    Rushing to get to End Game. Why?

Simple. To try endgame before it gets dumbed down to the level where there is no challenge and no fun anymore.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm your right ,player in various mmo want to be at the end as fast as they can and then whine at the end,men thats it there wasnt anything fun!

lol if they had bothered they would have seen they skipped most of the good content

exemple:im playing eq2 right now love it lot of  lore past glory etc,but i see all those player around me go ask for specific spot like pof or whatever they come up with

why ?of they dont bother with anything but what makes their toon grow up stronger(thats on pvp server)

i think rp server is different because that server is always full on week-end 

our pvp does good too ,i took pvp because later in the game i plan to pvp 

but some expect you to pvp when your low teen lol

what i found most dont read a lot ,if they were they couldnt be level 30 when a normal player is stil lvl 13 

because theres a lot of content

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

It really depends on the game . If its a game like Warcraft you are activly encouraged to rush through the content these days to the endgame by changes to the game play Blizzard have implimented like faster leveling . Its a shame really because current players really dont get to see what the mid levels have to offer because its now virtually solo hack . in lord of the rings there is nt such a rush because its more pve centric and its about experiancing the world as much as anything .

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Liltawen

I think 'Endgames' are a holdover from the old linear PC gaming world.
    Theoretically an MMO wouldn't have one-just an environment that your character would wander around in doing whatever adventures that interest you.
    Even the big Theme park MMOs are this way to a degree (in LOTRO you don't Have to do the Book Quests for example). A true MMO would never really have an 'End"
    I think it's a holdover for newbe gamers who haven't figured out the MMO universe yet.

All of todays mmos have an endgame. only difference with the newer games is you have two and sometimes three endgames to choose from.

Its a step up but still not as good as the old sandbox games like UO and SWG.

EvE has no real endgame. It actually has that "environment you can wander around in doing whatever interests you". Granted, the environments aren't to everyone's taste, bu t then that will be true of any game.

Oh I know, When I say todays MMOs I'm speaking of the post WoW Era of gaming. I hate endgame and fully support as many sandbox games as I can because they have the balls not to offer this endgame garbage.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Well right off the bat, its a preference. A play style. A person who likes rushing to level cap could just as easily ask why people don't rush to end-game. Some people are just goal oriented and seeing that little xp bar at the bottom of the screen is just too rich a target.

However if there is a problem, its not the player's fault. I think it reflects the dominance of theme-park style games over sandbox. In a sandbox game, you can reach lvl cap, but there is no 'end game'. There is just too much to do AS your character. A world/community to participate in. In a theme park game, lvl-cap is essentially game over unless devs went out of their way to create repeatable difficult objectives which nonetheless tends to bore people pretty quickly.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

True... I hate rushing to engame myself especially in games that are more story-centric than level-centric, like Guild Wars for example. I guess some people are more achievement oriented, which is a good thing actually (kind of wish I was more like that myself actually... then maybe I would be a better student) but for me, it would take all the fun out of a game if I had to rush somewhere.

Bah, I think Guild Wars has spoilt me. It's gotten me addicted to story-centric games and now I can't play any other game without wanting to go back to my story-centric heaven.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

I agree, these games are meant to be enjoyed as you progress.  That is why there is a story, but no one wants to read the story, they want the quest and what they have to do.  And if they just do quests at some point they have to grind, and they complain.  So it creates a narrowminded path to just get to the end.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• FeardayFearday Member UncommonPosts: 31

i remember Dark Age of Camelot after 8 month playtime i hit lvl 48 on my pally, the game was and is still on of the best

i allso remember Age of Conan after 4 day playtime i hit lvl 80 on my Demo.... and the game was dead

on the 20th Sept i start on Aion and hope it take around 2-3 month to get to lvl 50 with 3-4 hour daily play so when i hit max lvl there is endgame going on

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

To add my 2 cents.. 

I believe many rush to end game, not because leveling is boring, or flawed, but because it's to feed an ego, or desire much like a drug feeds an addict..  Many minds need to feed that desire of advancement rather it be leveling in a computer game, or simply getting a raise or promotion at work.. I personally believe I have overcome that ego driven flaw of NEED.. aka GREED.. Am I happy where I am in life? YOU BET..  I could care less if I ever see another promotion.. I'm enjoying my time with family and what we are doing.. We don't need to keep up with the Jone's and I really don't give a rat's @ss what the Jone's have or are doing..  Same applies to computer games..  Are you a raider with all the best gear?  I honestly don't give a chit.. KUDO's to you if you feel that need to be superior to others.. I'm happy going at my pace and enjoying what I'm doing at the moment..  RUSH to end game IMO is a game mechanic to attack psychological need many flawed minds crave..  TISK TISK :(

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Max level of Age of Conan is level 80 but it's not end game, the game begins at level 80. And you have total 8 characters to play with. All games are equal and they start from end game and ended up with new expansion. A game should have expansion each year.