Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion 3.5 million subs worldwide catching up WoW fast!

DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

O^o Scource http://www.mmodata.net/

hmm if its true it could overtake WoW & be the biggest mmorpg worldwide.

Probably will take a couple of years but NCsoft won't care as they gonna make a big profit anyway.

Comments

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Being the biggest doesn't make it the best and being the best doesn't make it the biggest so these sort of posts quickly turn into a flame fest. All that really matters is that the game is fun to the people that play it and that they are willing to continue to play it and subscribe to it. The numbers for WoW will go up or down based on what the players of WoW feel about the game and not what some other company does and the same goes for other games as they will succeed or fail on their own merit and not because some other game gets bigger or smaller.

Sure, there will be transient interest and possibly movement as new games come onto the market and old games leave but with a few exceptions (Tabula Rasa) most games tend to stick around for a couple of years at least and their success is entirely dependent upon how well they execute their vision and how well recieved it is by their fan base.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

It will be better to wait till NCsoft release the numbers themselves. Surely at 3.5mil no company will keep it quiet.

Also, it will be better to see how Aion fare after a few months, after its launch in N.A and Euro, to see whether the subs will continue to rise or not.

And 11.5mil of WoW, compare to 3.5mil, i think Aion will need quite some time if it does indeed catch up.

RIP Orc Choppa

Originally posted by rwmiller

Being the biggest doesn't make it the best and being the best doesn't make it the biggest

Best game, most popular game will get the most subs, making it the biggest. Fail game will get the least subs or even shut down. So imo numbers do reflect a game correctly.

However, the most popular game doesn't mean everyone will like it, this i accept and agree...

RIP Orc Choppa

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by arctarus

It will be better to wait till NCsoft release the numbers themselves. Surely at 3.5mil no company will keep it quiet.
    Also, it will be better to see how Aion fare after a few months, after its launch in N.A and Euro, to see whether the subs will continue to rise or not.
    And 11.5mil of WoW, compare to 3.5mil, i think Aion will need quite some time if it does indeed catch up.

Do you honestly think WoW has 11.5 million after 6 or so millions of those subs where "completely" unable to play for over 2 months? Subs take huge hits when servers are off more than 24 hours. Let alone 2 months.

Originally posted by denshing

Do you honestly think WoW has 11.5 million after 6 or so millions of those subs where "completely" unable to play for over 2 months?

Yes, because servers is back online...

RIP Orc Choppa

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

This thread is proof! That everything EVERYTHING we read on the Internet is true. We all know if MMORPG says a MMO is #1 then its so.. LMAO

GO ASK NCSOFT... go TRY.. now if they wont say ONE WORD.. why are you believing some site? I mean we hear the same stuff about wow.. wow has 11min.. no its 6min.. ooop no its down to under 3min.. wait.. another site says back to 9million..

Aion will never get close to WOW.. but some game will pass it.. its 5 years old and nobody cares anymore.

Whats even sad.. or funny is the OP is posting this NOW.. this was said over 6 months ago that Aion had this many.. yet lol it looks like they are still the same.. but ask NCSOFT ...then post.. but yeah why when we know some 3rd rate no name site has the truth..

Do you honestly think WoW has 11.5 million after 6 or so millions of those subs where "completely" unable to play for over 2 months?

I am sure a very large percent moved on. You cant expect to spill a coffee then somehow manage to get EVERY drop back in the cup. A large portion will be gone forever. 2 months of downtime... Wow has taken a HUGE hit to their subscriber base.

I am sure a very large percent moved on. You cant expect to spill a coffee then somehow manage to get EVERY drop back in the cup. A large portion will be gone forever. 2 months of downtime... Wow has taken a HUGE hit to their subscriber base.

I agree that they may loose some subs. But for others they may be playing on other servers in the time being, like taiwan.  If im not wrong, LK is gona release over there soon, this will to some extend generate some hype and keep currents players and maybe bring back old ones...

RIP Orc Choppa

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Those numbers don't mean jack. Remember the launch of WAR with its huge hype? Maybe you don't, but it crashed head over knees within the first 3 months which pretty much killed off everyone who was interested in it.

I'm not saying that Aion will follow such example, but the numbers of subs before it's fully released world wide isn't a good representation of the amount of players who will stay interested and continually sub to Aion.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by twiggy550

Those numbers don't mean jack. Remember the launch of WAR with its huge hype? Maybe you don't, but it crashed head over knees within the first 3 months which pretty much killed off everyone who was interested in it.
    I'm not saying that Aion will follow such example, but the numbers of subs before it's fully released world wide isn't a good representation of the amount of players who will stay interested and continually sub to Aion.

game has been out almost a ywar on the other side of the world

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

"MMORPG.com: In an article at IGN, they tell us that Aion has reached 3.5 million subscribers in Asia. Is this number accurate and how is this number achieved? Active, paying subscribers?

Lani Blazier: We have yet to release official numbers, however we are pleased with how the game is doing in eastern territories and players reception to the beta in the West."

I guess that means they are far away from the 3.5 million subs claimed, but Ncsoft have done a great job making people believe its that succesfull.

Its strange that MMOdata uses thoose numbers but have a link to that article among its sources...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

And i am 250 pounds..catching up that 5 tons elephant..almost there...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Zeblade

This thread is proof! That everything EVERYTHING we read on the Internet is true. We all know if MMORPG says a MMO is #1 then its so.. LMAO
    GO ASK NCSOFT... go TRY.. now if they wont say ONE WORD.. why are you believing some site? I mean we hear the same stuff about wow.. wow has 11min.. no its 6min.. ooop no its down to under 3min.. wait.. another site says back to 9million..
    Aion will never get close to WOW.. but some game will pass it.. its 5 years old and nobody cares anymore.
    Whats even sad.. or funny is the OP is posting this NOW.. this was said over 6 months ago that Aion had this many.. yet lol it looks like they are still the same.. but ask NCSOFT ...then post.. but yeah why when we know some 3rd rate no name site has the truth..

An excellent example of misinformation.

First of all, The ones who keep saying WoW has 6 mil or 3 mil are assumptions. the 11.5 million number comes from Blizzard.

The number posted a few months ago was 3 million, not 3.5 million. This means Aion's subscriber base has increased by 500k subscribers.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

As most people like to discount WoW Asia subs then Aion has ZERO subscribers as all are currently asia subs.

But if the Aion community really want to turn this into a numbers game the real test will be if in 5 years from now if.....

1. Aion has continued to grow and holds 5 million western subs as WoW currently has done. 
    2. Aion and its expansion will have to be the top 5 monthly sales spots for ALL that time just a WoW has been
    3. Expansions will need to sell 2.4-2.8 million pre-orders and go on to sell 3.5-4.0 million in the first month (in the west)  just as WoW & its expansions have.
    4. Will need to be around 450 western servers open to cater to such a huge population, just as WoW has.
    5. We will need official press-releases that clearly state how NCsoft count Aion subs, just as Blizzard does.

• FeardayFearday Member UncommonPosts: 31

How many ppl is nedeed to keep op a game with new patch and and so on ???

look at Daoc US or EU German server !!! there is only 5-6 server back but still Mystic do a great job on this game !!!

so if 50000 subs is enough why is ppl talking about 3 or even 11 mill subs ?

i will say around 500k subs is a great number of subs to keep the game running good

and i realy don´t care if wow have 10k subs or 100 mill , just hope Aion will have the number there is enough to make it even better 

just my 2 cent

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Fearday

look at Daoc US or EU German server !!! there is only 5-6 server back but still Mystic do a great job on this game !!!
    i will say around 500k subs is a great number of subs to keep the game running good
    and i realy don´t care if wow have 10k subs or 100 mill , just hope Aion will have the number there is enough to make it even better 
    just my 2 cent

Because most people that make threads like this or were wow players and got sick of the updates or are just wow haters.

• RosmariiniRosmariini Member UncommonPosts: 154

Who cares if some game is "catching up WoW fast!" or not.. I just can't understand why ppl have to compair games and be like "My game is bigger and better than yours", sounds pretty much the same what I did when I was 6y old "My dad is stronger than yours" ;)

Currently playing: N/A :(
    Retired from: GW, WAR, Aion, LOTRO, Rift, SW:TOR, Vinductus

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

game has been out almost a ywar on the other side of the world

Indeed it has. But I think you missed a few important words there, not to mention the Western market is full of plenty of people which still makes it significant to wait a few more months before getting an official player count.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

Originally posted by Fearday

just my 2 cent

Watching the launch, the effects of launch, and overall success of a MMORPG is like a past-time entertainment to alot of people. It's almost like going the the horse races, you bet for the one you like. Well, the people who are on the aion bandwaggon are rootin it on to keep doing better and better, while the people who aren't on the waggon either don't care or want to see it do bad.

See in some horse races, even if the horse doesn't come in #1, it's still an amazing and well groomed/prize winning famous horse. Same with MMO's like you said, it doesn't have to be a huge success. The same reason you don't need a formula race car as a commuter to and from work. But it's still fun for alot of people to watch, after all, the MMORPG genre is history in the making.

Personally I am excited to see how aion does, though I want it to do well, I have no guarentee of that, but I will still enjoy it even if it isn't a overwhelming succes, but it is always nice if it is. Like you said, even if aion only got around 200-400k subs,, that is still plenty to keep the game itself running for a very long time. Longer than most of us will be able to commit.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Those numbers don't mean jack.

Maybe not, but the general perception that this game is the 'next big thing' does. Just wait 'till the sheeple effect kicks in... At that point it becomes moot if the game is actually any good or not, people will just play because 'everyone else' is. Look at WoW.

This game genuinly has the ability to do Lineage types of numbers, and that definitly puts it in the 'major success' category, which means decent support and development for the future.

• Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

That's nice to hear and i honestly i'm not going to play aion its not for me but 3.5 million and, catching up to wow?  eh not really it might come close but give it some time to even out in North America then see where we stand on subs. plus how many of those accounts are active?

IN THE FACE!

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Obviously, any new PVP game may attracting millions of people to buy. The game sustains to try after first month may grow or fall. It will be clear to tell if it is a good quality game or a falling game, however, It is worthy just to sell the game at first month. 

• Convict70Convict70 Member Posts: 3

WoW's success doesn't stem from the number of games sold in a brief period of time.  WoW's success comes from being able to maintain subscriptions over the last 4 1/2 years.  Selling 3.5 mill boxes is an accomplishment but lets see how many people are playing AION in 4 years.

In terms of sheer numbers, WoW isn't the largest MMO ever.  I believe than Lineage 1 still holds that title at just over 35 million worldwide, although 34.75 mill was in asia.  NC always has been and always will be a Korean Co.  NC Austin merely does what NC Korea wants them to.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Convict70

WoW's success doesn't stem from the number of games sold in a brief period of time.  WoW's success comes from being able to maintain subscriptions over the last 4 1/2 years.  Selling 3.5 mill boxes is an accomplishment but lets see how many people are playing AION in 4 years.

In terms of sheer numbers, WoW isn't the largest MMO ever.  I believe than Lineage 1 still holds that title at just over 35 million worldwide, although 34.75 mill was in asia.  NC always has been and always will be a Korean Co.  NC Austin merely does what NC Korea wants them to.

This is incorrect. The numbers you are reporting are total accounts created, not active subscribers.

In terms of active subscribers, Lineage 1 has around 1 million, compared to 11.5 million of WoW.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Convict70

yeah, Lineage 1 has 1 million subs world wide, with about 10k-20k in NA/EU

still great for a game that was released in 1998

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon