Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye Ao

OH i am no one special just some froob that's been around RK1 for some time.  I have uninstalled the game even though i am still addicted to it.  I don't mean to say i play every day but just knowing that i could log into this game and run around chat maybe do some grinding was good enough.  I had 5 accounts all free with about 25 or so toons from TL6 -TL1..  one of the things i loved doing was helping new players out with advice in the chat and sending my lvl 8 twink to the sub's to lvl up the new guy who needed the help. 

Well why am i leaving this game?  Well I didn't want too but the population is just too low   ok who am i kidding i rage quit after the GM changed my name that I had for 5 years.  Oh well no one complained about it in that time until today because I had a few choice words with some one ingame but i guess that life huh things must come to an end at some point.  To all the people that knew me on RK1 ill miss you guys i played as Lunchboy , deletme , deadlysirum, ballscak, tufflove blaw blaw blaw.

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I just cancelled my account not 2 minutes ago for a lot of the same reasons.  There's no population to speak of, Funcom doesn't support the game, and to be perfectly honest, I'm tired of the same old grind.  It's been fun, but it's just not a game that I even care about anymore.  I used to get on every day, then once or twice a week, then once or twice a month.  Last time I was on, I couldn't even stand to be there for more than 5 minutes, there was nothing I wanted to do, no one I wanted to see, nowhere I wanted to go, so I logged off.

So long AO.  You were great  once, but no more.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

theres people playing this game still... Whod know

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

AO was a good game.. very good.. pitty FailCom slowly killed it.. but hey.. its Failcom.. we know them..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by PapaB34R

theres people playing this game still... Whod know

LOL dude AO feels more populated than WAR most of the time.

So yeah people still play.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by EduardoASG

AO was a good game.. very good.. pitty FailCom slowly killed it.. but hey.. its Failcom.. we know them..

That's pretty much it, when they asked why I was cancelling, I said, among other things, "Funcom refuses to adequately support the game, thus driving the majority of the players away.  When you stop wasting time and money on crap like Age of Conan and actually make good on your promises regarding AO, I might come back, but not until."

They screwed up at launch for AO, they screwed up at launch for AoC, they're going to screw up at launch for their new game, the only game they have that has EVER made them any money is AO and they treat it like a read-headed stepchild.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

• RaikusxoxRaikusxox Member Posts: 25

AO has a healthy population, I don't where OP got his info from. And FC does support AO still, there updating the graphics with AoC's engine, and they just released an expansion earlier this year. Seems like plenty of support to me.

Originally posted by Raikusxox

AO has a healthy population, I don't where OP got his info from. And FC does support AO still, there updating the graphics with AoC's engine, and they just released an expansion earlier this year. Seems like plenty of support to me.

The population is shrinking, even compared to just a year or two ago.  FC's been claiming that they'd have a graphics update for a long time, lots of talk, no action.  We've learned that you can't trust FC one bit.  Did you forget the recent "upgrade" during the anniversary and the subsequent huge rollback that pissed everyone off?  The nerfing?  When's the last non-endgame update they did?

One thing I found funny was when I was on their site cancelling my sub, they had a big ad that said "buy all the expansions for only $9.99!  Limited time offer!"  Expired... in JULY!  This is SEPTEMBER and it's still on the site!

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138

I've been on and off for about a year. With AO and I 100% agree the population is very very small now a-days.

But AO was a bad ass game.

• solusar66solusar66 Member Posts: 20

Sorry OP but you fail, badly if I might add.

Anarchy Online's population is lower than I'm used to, and I've been playing since 2001. It is not however so low that it hamper gameplay in any way, RK 1 and 2 have had massive Notum Wars PvP this summer, and the battle still rage on RK1.

Anarchy Online generate enough income and interest for FunCom to invest a lot of work hours into the engine update, and yes the engine update is comming. Seeing how some people in this thread decide to blurt out posts, without even checking the facts propper makes me chuckle.

The delay in AO's engine update is rooted in the fact that the dev team decided to ditch Ogre, and go for the Dreamfall engine. And it makes good sense to have all 3 inhouse developed MMOs on the same game engine, I can't help feeling some of people think updating a game engine mean "download new engine software, press update, make new client public" I'd love to see you guys try and fix a car or hell even just a toster, looking at the box won't fix it by will power alone.

AO's databse software is also being updated, since the old one had limits on how big the DB file could be, around 1GB iirc. And that update is on test live now, so people can help weed out bugs, go figure.

If you by life or death feel the need to spew out non consistant bs, regarding MMO developers and their games and how they really /fail you should head over to the Darkfall forum.

GL & HF

Ad astra per astrada

Originally posted by solusar66

Anarchy Online's population is lower than I'm used to, and I've been playing since 2001. It is not however so low that it hamper gameplay in any way, RK 1 and 2 have had massive Notum Wars PvP this summer, and the battle still rage on RK1.
    Not so's you'd notice or anything, certainly there hasn't been any chatter about it in the public chat channels.
    Anarchy Online generate enough income and interest for FunCom to invest a lot of work hours into the engine update, and yes the engine update is comming. Seeing how some people in this thread decide to blurt out posts, without even checking the facts propper makes me chuckle.
    I'll believe it when I've got it in my hands, they've been talking about the graphics upgrade for years and, no surprise... still no upgrade.  I find it funny that Funcom keeps sending out free-month vouchers to former players in hopes of drawing them back when they have nothing new to show them.  Same game, same dropping population, same graphical glitches, etc.  Their push around their 8th anniversary was ridiculous, I didn't talk to a single "returning" player who was at all impressed by what they saw, nor who was going to stick around after their free 30 days were up.
    The delay in AO's engine update is rooted in the fact that the dev team decided to ditch Ogre, and go for the Dreamfall engine. And it makes good sense to have all 3 inhouse developed MMOs on the same game engine, I can't help feeling some of people think updating a game engine mean "download new engine software, press update, make new client public" I'd love to see you guys try and fix a car or hell even just a toster, looking at the box won't fix it by will power alone.
    Yes, they switched engines, that's still not an excuse for mindless hype.  The fact is, they treat AO like a red-headed stepchild, they put it on the worst servers they have, resulting in tons of server-side lag, when AO is the only profitable product they have.  They have a graphics upgrade, supposedly, but it won't address object collision problems, which have been a major problem since the game launched.  It's just going to make things look "pretty", not make them work any better.
    If you by life or death feel the need to spew out non consistant bs, regarding MMO developers and their games and how they really /fail you should head over to the Darkfall forum.
    Had they actually made these changes years ago when they started talking about them, they might have saved a good portion of their playerbase.  Now, however, they have only small populations in Old Athen, Borealis and Rome, you can go out in most areas and run for an hour without seeing anyone, finding anyone of the appropriate level to go into most of the dungeons with you is difficult, etc.  This isn't non-consistent BS, it's fact.

Come on back when AO has their "upgrades" finished and released, when the population isn't a few people standing in front of Finest Edition and when FC is showing it the respect the game deserves.

Originally posted by Cephus404

Not so's you'd notice or anything, certainly there hasn't been any chatter about it in the public chat channels.
    Harbringers of death have been common since I started playing EQ, if I had a dollar for every time someone made a "The end is nigh!" thread or post in AO, I would at least own a fairly decent used car by now or paid my dentist bills.
    I'll believe it when I've got it in my hands, they've been talking about the graphics upgrade for years and, no surprise... still no upgrade.  I find it funny that Funcom keeps sending out free-month vouchers to former players in hopes of drawing them back when they have nothing new to show them.  Same game, same dropping population, same graphical glitches, etc.  Their push around their 8th anniversary was ridiculous, I didn't talk to a single "returning" player who was at all impressed by what they saw, nor who was going to stick around after their free 30 days were up.
    Yes you are of course omnipotent and know what every gamer did after comming back, there was alot of people comming back to see what was going on, and a lot of those people left but there was enough people that decided to stick around for it to became noticable. 
    Yes, they switched engines, that's still not an excuse for mindless hype.  The fact is, they treat AO like a red-headed stepchild, they put it on the worst servers they have, resulting in tons of server-side lag, when AO is the only profitable product they have.  They have a graphics upgrade, supposedly, but it won't address object collision problems, which have been a major problem since the game launched.  It's just going to make things look "pretty", not make them work any better.
    Sadly your facts belong to 2007 and not 2009, Anarchy Online has been moved to unused Age of Conan servers who lay dormant after scaling back their server park, nor is Anarchy Online any longer on savis.net.
    I suggest you take a look at the Community Corner section of AO's forums, Colin "Means" Craig has kept the player base updated every friday since early 2008 iirc, what's been done and what's in store. You'd save yourself a lot disgrace by simply checking your facts.
    Also your hint at FunCom trying to hustle AO players with vaporware engine update software is ludicris.
    Had they actually made these changes years ago when they started talking about them, they might have saved a good portion of their playerbase.  Now, however, they have only small populations in Old Athen, Borealis and Rome, you can go out in most areas and run for an hour without seeing anyone, finding anyone of the appropriate level to go into most of the dungeons with you is difficult, etc.  This isn't non-consistent BS, it's fact.
    Sadly most MMOs will not ever be perfect from the get go, or have leadership that does the right thing at every twist and turn. Anarchy Online has been a perfect example of that, however I can't remember the last time AO got so much content, or simple bug fixes as now. In the old days it used to what 1 patch every 6 months, sorta happens more often that now.
    Come on back when AO has their "upgrades" finished and released, when the population isn't a few people standing in front of Finest Edition and when FC is showing it the respect the game deserves.
    Mister I'm a angry former player of AO who left in emorage in 2007, thus my facts are colored by hate and being 2 years out of date, it would be best if you kept your biased ill mannered non consistant bs to yourself, have a good day

Vizier

Ad astra per astrada

Originally posted by dkzero

I agree that the game is pretty much a ghost town.  Man how I miss the days back in ...hmmm.....2002-2003 when you could find a full group in about 5 minutes.   It's sad to see AO slowly dying.  It's still my favorite mmo of all time.  Hopefull if they ever upgrade the graphics like they said they would,  people will come back.

It's really not that bad :) during Clans tower offensive this summer, a lot of Orgs have gotten people back. Many Orgs are again active raiding, not only my Org Spartans :)

Ad astra per astrada

Harbringers of death have been common since I started playing EQ, if I had a dollar for every time someone made a "The end is nigh!" thread or post in AO, I would at least own a fairly decent used car by now or paid my dentist bills.
    I made a statement and it's accurate.  For being such a "big event", there was no online chatter about it.
    Yes you are of course omnipotent and know what every gamer did after comming back, there was alot of people comming back to see what was going on, and a lot of those people left but there was enough people that decided to stick around for it to became noticable. 
    I specifically said "I didn't talk to a single returning player" and now you're trying to claim I magically know what everyone who ever came back did?  Are you unable to comprehend simple English?  The fact is, there was a slight spike in population while the 30-day deal was going on but after those 30 days were up, the population went right back to where it was before.  I can say with confidence that there wasn't a significant permanent increase in the overall population of the game because of these 30-day deals.
    Sadly your facts belong to 2007 and not 2009, Anarchy Online has been moved to unused Age of Conan servers who lay dormant after scaling back their server park, nor is Anarchy Online any longer on savis.net.
    Yes, but they are still not on the top-end FC servers, are they?  AoC sucks, it doesn't do any significant business but they still run on the best servers.
    I suggest you take a look at the Community Corner section of AO's forums, Colin "Means" Craig has kept the player base updated every friday since early 2008 iirc, what's been done and what's in store. You'd save yourself a lot disgrace by simply checking your facts.
    I think Means means well, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place and he's doing the best he can.  But doing your best doesn't mean actually producing results and results are all I care about.  You can make whatever promises you want, it doesn't mean squat if it doesn't come to fruition.
    Also your hint at FunCom trying to hustle AO players with vaporware engine update software is ludicris.
    Until it's actually released, it's vaporware.  "Oh, it's coming!  It's coming!" doesn't make it arrive.  Let us all know when it's actually released and in the hands of the general player population.
    Sadly most MMOs will not ever be perfect from the get go, or have leadership that does the right thing at every twist and turn. Anarchy Online has been a perfect example of that, however I can't remember the last time AO got so much content, or simple bug fixes as now. In the old days it used to what 1 patch every 6 months, sorta happens more often that now.
    The patches are still buggy when they do come out, they had to do a major roll-back with the last one and instead of actually fixing the problems, they tossed out a bunch of freebies... and then had to retroactively fix their freebies with another patch.  Good job FC.  Anyone with half a clue should have recognized the gross potential for abuse when they put out the XP boosts in the first place, I told people on day one that it was going to be a disaster and it was.
    Mister I'm a angry former player of AO who left in emorage in 2007, thus my facts are colored by hate and being 2 years out of date, it would be best if you kept your biased ill mannered non consistant bs to yourself, have a good day
    You haven't played in 2 years and you're still reading the forum?  Geez, you need a life.  At least I'm only responding in a thread I posted in immediately after leaving the game and only because people keep responding to me.  Once that's gone, I won't be reading this forum anymore.  Why would I?

I agree that the game is pretty much a ghost town.  Man how I miss the days back in ...hmmm.....2002-2003 when you could find a full group in about 5 minutes.   It's sad to see AO slowly dying.  It's still my favorite mmo of all time.  Hopefull if they ever upgrade the graphics like they said they would,  people will come back.

It's really not that bad :) during Clans tower offensive this summer, a lot of Orgs have gotten people back. Many Orgs are again active raiding, not only my Org Spartans :)

How would you know if, according to you, you left the game 2 years ago?

How would you know if, according to you, you left the game 2 years ago?

I think you need to re-read the thread :) I am very much active and ingame, the last 4 years I've been in and leading 2 of Clans biggest Orgs, and yes I was active prior to that, played since 2001 :)

Ad astra per astrada

I made a statement and it's accurate.  For being such a "big event", there was no online chatter about it.
    I specifically said "I didn't talk to a single returning player" and now you're trying to claim I magically know what everyone who ever came back did?  Are you unable to comprehend simple English?  The fact is, there was a slight spike in population while the 30-day deal was going on but after those 30 days were up, the population went right back to where it was before.  I can say with confidence that there wasn't a significant permanent increase in the overall population of the game because of these 30-day deals.
    Yes, but they are still not on the top-end FC servers, are they?  AoC sucks, it doesn't do any significant business but they still run on the best servers.
    I think Means means well, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place and he's doing the best he can.  But doing your best doesn't mean actually producing results and results are all I care about.  You can make whatever promises you want, it doesn't mean squat if it doesn't come to fruition.
    Until it's actually released, it's vaporware.  "Oh, it's coming!  It's coming!" doesn't make it arrive.  Let us all know when it's actually released and in the hands of the general player population.
    The patches are still buggy when they do come out, they had to do a major roll-back with the last one and instead of actually fixing the problems, they tossed out a bunch of freebies... and then had to retroactively fix their freebies with another patch.  Good job FC.  Anyone with half a clue should have recognized the gross potential for abuse when they put out the XP boosts in the first place, I told people on day one that it was going to be a disaster and it was.
    You haven't played in 2 years and you're still reading the forum?  Geez, you need a life.  At least I'm only responding in a thread I posted in immediately after leaving the game and only because people keep responding to me.  Once that's gone, I won't be reading this forum anymore.  Why would I?

I'm glad you won't be reading these forums anymore, less blind hate emorage posts. Oh and yeah btw the rollback you mention, it was fixed, and AO runs on high end servers, Means do produce results, your just mad for whatever reason you are mad lol

Ad astra per astrada

I think you need to re-read the thread :) I am very much active and ingame, the last 4 years I've been in and leading 2 of Clans biggest Orgs, and yes I was active prior to that, played since 2001 :)

Then I guess I misread your statement, which was pretty easy to do since it lacked any punctuation.  My apologies.

No, the rollback was never fixed, everyone who made anything during the rollpack period lost it permanently and there were LOTS of really, really pissed off people.  The XP boosts they gave out as a "I'm sorry" were horribly abused, people were creating dozens of one-shot alts so they could all get their boosts and sell them.  Anyone with half a brain would know that you ought to make those things NODROP to avoid exactly what happened but it took them a couple of weeks to figure it out and release another update to fix the problem.  By then, the damage was done.  It's not like they didn't have experience with exactly this same thing happening in the past, they just didn't learn their lesson the last time this disaster happened.

You keep telling yourself that everyone who doesn't like what AO does is in an emorage.  The reality is, Funcom is driving people away from the game whether you like it or not.  That's a shame, AO is a generally good game, I played it for many years, but I'm not interested in promises, I'm interested in action.  When they actually have the graphics update in place and working, when they actually fix the problems, they'll get players back.  Until then, they, and you, are just blowing smoke.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

The "Failcom" smacktards just won't be happy until they talk crap about every game under the FunCom banner... "FailCom" is so 2008, get over it, get over yourselves and get a life.

For the record, I actually see a ton more people playing AO now than I did before the advent of the Froob. Granted I play on RK2. It seems to me that the population has done noting but go up since then. It's no WoW of course, with regard to population, but it's still very much alive. It's still being actively developed too, but of course not to the level it was initially. Then what MMOG this old is, especially with other projects being worked on? No, AO is just fine for what it is...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

It's the second time in Anarchy Online's history that it happneed, and for a rollback to be iniated there really needs to -no- other way to fix the issue,  and seeing how I play every day I have not heard a single whine since it went down, 99.99% of the people are able to deal with it, you however fall into the other catagory.

I have great issues with numerous aspects of AO, both current, old and what's in store for the game. I manage however to put those thoughts into constructive posts on their forums, and thus more often than not are rewarded with feedback from the development team. Now I'm not a blind hater or blind fanboi so I can understand if you have problems getting responce through propper channels.

Ad astra per astrada

It's the second time in Anarchy Online's history that it happneed, and for a rollback to be iniated there really needs to -no- other way to fix the issue,  and seeing how I play every day I have not heard a single whine since it went down, 99.99% of the people are able to deal with it, you however fall into the other catagory.
    I don't know where you were playing because for days after it happened, it was the primary point of discussion on both the public clan channels, private org channels and discussion throughout most of the major cities in RK1.  Maybe you just weren't paying attention. 
    I have great issues with numerous aspects of AO, both current, old and what's in store for the game. I manage however to put those thoughts into constructive posts on their forums, and thus more often than not are rewarded with feedback from the development team. Now I'm not a blind hater or blind fanboi so I can understand if you have problems getting responce through propper channels.
    They're not going to give a response because they know what the problems are and they're still not fixing them.  It's not like the object collision problems aren't well known and haven't been a problem since day one, but in the coming graphics update, Means has already said it won't be fixed.  8+ years, problem has been entirely ignored.

Yeah, they're really fast fixing things, aren't they?

I don't know where you were playing because for days after it happened, it was the primary point of discussion on both the public clan channels, private org channels and discussion throughout most of the major cities in RK1.  Maybe you just weren't paying attention. 
    They're not going to give a response because they know what the problems are and they're still not fixing them.  It's not like the object collision problems aren't well known and haven't been a problem since day one, but in the coming graphics update, Means has already said it won't be fixed.  8+ years, problem has been entirely ignored.

Yeah, they're really fast fixing things, aren't they?

I found this song to be very fitting towards your attitude on MMOs, and if you no longer play Anarchy Online it would bring me great joy.

Ad astra per astrada

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

I stopped reading the second you mentioned Clams.

Originally posted by protoroc

Hater :((

Ad astra per astrada

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Originally posted by protoroc

Hater :((

Omni-Tek Protects