Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

casual vs hardcore?

ckylapeckylape Member UncommonPosts: 24

i was wondering how casual is ddo?

•  is it as number crunching or serious as wow in terms of hit rating, def cap, expertise, etc or is it basically ab vs ac?
  • can you have a simple build and still do well in raids? i used to have a STR rogue that used a great axe for fun
  • do you have to have nerd rage and devote all your time to progress through raid content?

Waiting for:
Blizzards Next MMO in 2014, lol

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by ckylape

is it as number crunching or serious as wow in terms of hit rating, def cap, expertise, etc or is it basically ab vs ac?
    can you have a simple build and still do well in raids? i used to have a STR rogue that used a great axe for fun
    do you have to have nerd rage and devote all your time to progress through raid content?

isnt this game based on d&d role the dice for x ,y,z stuff to happen etc 

i believe luck is more of a factor in this game then in wow since in wow there is not the factor of chance in the equation 

• ckylapeckylape Member UncommonPosts: 24

yeah i understand how d&d mechanics work... ab vs ac, rolls vs saves, etc. i'm asking if your ac, ab, saves, etc, are so important that you cannot progress in endgame without having set number stats or this specific build (feats, enhancments, etc)?

Waiting for:
    Blizzards Next MMO in 2014, lol

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by ckylape

is it as number crunching or serious as wow in terms of hit rating, def cap, expertise, etc or is it basically ab vs ac?
    can you have a simple build and still do well in raids? i used to have a STR rogue that used a great axe for fun
    do you have to have nerd rage and devote all your time to progress through raid content?

To answer the question if you need to min/max your character build to raid? Absolutely not.

This begs for another question though; Can you ruin your character with a bad build? Absolutely. 

hope this helps

• Dr.RockDr.Rock Member Posts: 603

I have been playing since beta but very casually (0 to 10 hours a week) and never felt disadvantaged. The massive number of build options and the need to use movement and twitch does take a lot of the min/max need out. Not that some don't min/max like mad.

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113

Speaking of casual. I was considering playing DDO on the side, but was concerned that it is not soloable. I know this will make you folks bonzo that I want to play mostly solo, but being my time allowd I may not have time to group, or worse yet, not have enough time and need to bail on someone. I don't want to do that so thus the wondering if it is at least mostly soloable.

/thanks

• Spadez88Spadez88 Member Posts: 88

Well almost every quest has the option from Solo/norm/hard/very hard. as you can imagine norm is the best exp you can get if you solo. hard and very hard is like geting decent saves vs beholders deathray (haha iam old school pnp) i played this for a good 5 months. have to say for soloabilty ranger and paladin is the best.

Now for builds, Hell i never followed the stream, i knew most of the holes befor i picked up the game. but they dont follow the paladin rules of multi classing. if you want good builds go simple fighter/paladin works well. ya in the long run make sure your class gets good dps otherwise you wont get raids or high lvl instances. Its a great under rated game, story lines solid and the graphics are pretty good. Community is smal but tight and it general chat is always silient, most keep to them selfs.

If your going casual its a good game, if your going hardcore i find this is the game for you with the advanced system they got in place. (every AP counts as well as stat point). above all have fun its a great game and since it went F2P idk how much time it has left = (.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by kevingaily

Speaking of casual. I was considering playing DDO on the side, but was concerned that it is not soloable. I know this will make you folks bonzo that I want to play mostly solo, but being my time allowd I may not have time to group, or worse yet, not have enough time and need to bail on someone. I don't want to do that so thus the wondering if it is at least mostly soloable.

/thanks

The truth is not really. Sure you can solo early but the solo option on quests stops by level 8. You can solo on any setting but around that level it starts to get very slow to solo. BUt it is free so give it a shot and see how far you can get.

Thanks for the answers! I am not opposed to joining a party. In fact, it would be fun. It's just the timing issue. I suppose if I found a large casual guild, I may have some success there. Do you guys have any recommendations for server, or even a good sized newbie friendly guild?

thanks again!

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Thanks for the answers! I am not opposed to joining a party. In fact, it would be fun. It's just the timing issue. I suppose if I found a large casual guild, I may have some success there. Do you guys have any recommendations for server, or even a good sized newbie friendly guild?
    thanks again!

Thelanis has an entire guild that is dedicated to helping new players. It is called Knights of Blackmoor.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am starting a sorceror on DDO just because it is free so it can be a good side game (i may even pump a small amount of money into it if i like it).

While I understand there is some difficulties in soloing .. can we hire NPC henchmen to make solo play viable at higher levels?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I am starting a sorceror on DDO just because it is free so it can be a good side game (i may even pump a small amount of money into it if i like it).
    While I understand there is some difficulties in soloing .. can we hire NPC henchmen to make solo play viable at higher levels?

I found out today that you can hire one initially, and up to 5 if you purchase the slots.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

thanks again!

Thelanis has an entire guild that is dedicated to helping new players. It is called Knights of Blackmoor.

It's funny you mention them. I saw them on the DDO forums recruiting and that's one of the reasons I picked that server. I will likely look them up soon. Currently I'm experimenting on what character(s) I want to level up.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Sorcerors are not very solo friendly at low levels but become much better later on. You can get a hireling from special vendors and they make soloing much easier. You can also buy them fro the store and thoose you can have more than 1 of. But getting groups is pretty easy now and I really recommend you to open the social panel ( O ) for the great LFG system which alot of people use.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd