Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: World of CasualCraft?

Comments

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by googajoob7

Why should a casual player have similar gear to someone thats not . Whats gone is the investment in a character . Its only a game but its indicative of the I WANT IT NOW over I WANT TO WORK FOR IT mentality . The sort of thing that led to borrowing which led to the credit crunch which led to the global recession . If someone has time and is willing to put in the work they should have superior items , armor and weapons . This does nt happen in WOW anymore . Its why the game has lost its edge and is dull and boring these days . A Cataclysm needs to happen but not just to Warcraft but to Blizzards attitude to the game .Otherwise its just more of the same . A con job .

Exactly..... I'm so tired of hearing that people don't have the time to invest to get good items. Well.. I suggest playing a single player game or not playing at all because I work 12 hours a day and play for 2-4 a day and I still have time to enjoy what I can. The problem is that the casual complainer wants everything to be easy so they can be equal but that's no different than the guy working 4 hours wanting the same pay as me, does that sound right? NO!.

This is an old debate and we all know the outcome these days with MMOs let's make is easy because people are cry babies and don't want a challenge but in the meantime the casuals stay on the forums 24/7. I quit WoW a while back because the end game is pointless and after you have the best gear what's the point to keep playing? More gear? The new expansion is just a new carrot that has more levels to do and the blacksmithing is still pointless and pvp is for what? No goals.

• thormachthormach Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Hives

Why should a casual player have similar gear to someone thats not . Whats gone is the investment in a character . Its only a game but its indicative of the I WANT IT NOW over I WANT TO WORK FOR IT mentality . The sort of thing that led to borrowing which led to the credit crunch which led to the global recession . If someone has time and is willing to put in the work they should have superior items , armor and weapons . This does nt happen in WOW anymore . Its why the game has lost its edge and is dull and boring these days . A Cataclysm needs to happen but not just to Warcraft but to Blizzards attitude to the game .Otherwise its just more of the same . A con job .

Exactly..... I'm so tired of hearing that people don't have the time to invest to get good items. Well.. I suggest playing a single player game or not playing at all because I work 12 hours a day and play for 2-4 a day and I still have time to enjoy what I can. The problem is that the casual complainer wants everything to be easy so they can be equal but that's no different than the guy working 4 hours wanting the same pay as me, does that sound right? NO!.

This is an old debate and we all know the outcome these days with MMOs let's make is easy because people are cry babies and don't want a challenge but in the meantime the casuals stay on the forums 24/7. I quit WoW a while back because the end game is pointless and after you have the best gear what's the point to keep playing? More gear? The new expansion is just a new carrot that has more levels to do and the blacksmithing is still pointless and pvp is for what? No goals.

Lol your argument against playing WOW can be applied to every MMO ever made. What is the reason for end game playing if not to get better gear? And to those that state that anyone can get the good epics easily and fast obviously have not played and do not know what they are talking about. It may be relatively easy to get the epics but it is not fast. It takes time to collect the badges to get the gear. And still a casual player will not be able to get the best gear in the game. Legendary Items cannot be gotten in any other way than being a Hardcore player. Then there are the Achievements that award Items that you cannot get unless you are the elite. There are still those weapons and mounts you see people with that inspire aww.  And the new raid dungeon has gear that is better than anything a casual player can get and very few people actually have the gear.

But I guess a few better Items for the hardcore is not enough they have to have everything. They want to be the only ones that see all of the game. Do they pay anymore for the game than anyone else? 

• SlackerboySlackerboy Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by gorillaz951
    But you forgot one category that is slightly important: the incompetent gamer.
    These are the players you see in-game making poop and Chuck Norris jokes in a trade chat. These are the players kill stealing your monsters for an important quest you have to do and then laughing at you. These are the players corpse camping you when they are 70 or so levels above you! This is the REAL Problem WoW has with me. I have played many other games and by far WoW has the worst community voice ever; a fat 11 year old spamming "n00b" in your message box as he hammers you to the ground. It's hard to even consider them "Players".

Sounds like you need to get off the PvP servers. The average age of the players goes up at least 10 years going from PvP to PvE and another 2-3 years going to RP PvE.

Come to think of it... What you are talking about has been true for EVERY PvP game I have ever played.

In UO they would camp outside of cities killing every new player who tried to leave the cities.

In Lineage 2, they would walk up to you while you were fighting mobs and hit you over and over to make you weak so the mobs would kill you. If you attacked back them and their 3 buddy's would drop you instantly stealing your loot.

In Eve.... Gods. Just bend over, the kiddies run the freaking show.

I could go on and on. But let me leave it at. PvP attracts far more kids who want to take out their anger on people then it attracts adults looking for a good fight.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Humbug.  The truly competive people still get the best gear and the respect for being on the cutting edge.  The problem is that the players realized that the 'hardcore' did not really put that much more real effort in the game and got massive rewards for stuff that was time-consuming, tedious but not really that challenging. 

WoW has finally turned away from the 'you are what you have' mentality and instead focuses on the 'you are what you do' aspects. 

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

I think the best part of WoW was and always will be the adventure from 1-50-60-70-80+

As an MMO vet, very few of the end-game instances/raids really had the WOW factor they should have...and I actually enjoy the tongue-in-cheek humor of the game (Linkens sword of mastery, anyone?)  Now there are certainly cases of laugh worthy quest titles and rewards in the newer content...but not nearly as much, or as good, as the earlier stuff.  I can't imagine how much will be removed for cataclysm.

Now, it seems like WoW is trying to cater both to the casual gamer and the power gamer...but failing on both accounts.

But thats how most mmos are...the first expansion blows your mind, then every one thereafter shaves a bit of the fan-base off.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• brad813brad813 Member Posts: 103

Honestly, it is pointless to have a game that caters only to the long term, hardcore gamers.  Hardcore gamers, while they may spend more individually, are a minority of gamers and casual gamers collectively spend more than the small smattering of hardcore gamers combined.  Good for Blizzard for finally recognizing not everyone games 24/7/365.

• gradysangradysan Member Posts: 6

I've played off and on for some time now, and I did think for a while that when I last went thru BC, I skipped most of the story.  It was too easy.  I loved it at the time because I was just interested in getting to WOTLK anyway.  But then I realized and still know today, I can just start up another character and take a different route.  That's what I like the best.  I don't see how people get bored unless you really played ever class/race combo.  Get tired of grinding levels?  Go BG.  Tired of getting your butt kicked in 2 vs 2, try out a small raid 10-man.  There seems like there is so much to do and not even enough time for me to even try it.  But maybe that just makes me a "casual" player.

2 cents.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Great another Vanilla vets QQ about WoW being Ez mode, god mmorpg.com must be desperate as hell to post such utter nonsense. WoW has a broad appeal, every time Blizzard adds something for those players who don’t sock poop and live in Mommy’s basement we get Bullshit pieces like this. The bottom line is if you find WoW too easy try uninstalling those 450 face roll add-ons you use, or maybe actually try to run a dungeon without reading every connect the dot walkthrough.

At the end of the day no one gives a fuck that you find something that was created for entertainment unchallenging. If you want a challenge try designing chess programs in Pascal or better yet take your lard ass out of the basement and attempt to walk a mile without keeling over from a heart attack We have had enough of these dumbass post that basically say the same thing…”.I am no longer a special snowflake.”

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by todeswulf

Great another Vanilla vets QQ about WoW being Ez mode, god mmorpg.com must be desperate as hell to post such utter nonsense. WoW has a broad appeal, every time Blizzard adds something for those players who don’t sock poop and live in Mommy’s basement we get Bullshit pieces like this. The bottom line is if you find WoW too easy try uninstalling those 450 face roll add-ons you use, or maybe actually try to run a dungeon without reading every connect the dot walkthrough.
    At the end of the day no one gives a fuck that you find something that was created for entertainment unchallenging. If you want a challenge try designing chess programs in Pascal or better yet take your lard ass out of the basement and attempt to walk a mile without keeling over from a heart attack We have had enough of these dumbass post that basically say the same thing…”.I am no longer a special snowflake.”

While I don’t necessarily agree with the content, I can respect the pwnage.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• nkryptiknkryptik Member Posts: 36

and another one of the WotLK kiddie noobs facerolls the keyboard.

If you ever actually worked for anything in your life you know that you feel better when you get something you worked for rather than yelling Mommy this is too hard.

Seriously we need a game that is full of challenge that keeps us working and keeps us playing with something new each day as it takes that long to get through the levels and you learn to play your class right instead of thottbot cookie cutters running around using the same moves as the last tool.

There was a time when having the gear meant you were respected in the game and comments like this are the same as what trade chat is full of now.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I think that the majority of the groaning about WoW is comming from those that think that they are hardcore not those that are hardcore.  I find Blizzards approach interesting, vanilla wow 2-3% of players got to see the highest end content the end of TBC was what i like to call the great epic giveaway with the reduction of difficulty and access to new epics more players got to see the higher difficulty dungeons.  I would venture to say that the vast majority of players never saw anything close to "end game" content in TBC.  Now we have WoLK and each major content update has done some of what xpacs do to the game and this is what i find interesting so now with the argent tournament and heroic ToC and regular ToC you can get roughly uld 10 naxx 25 equivalent gear.  I would venture to say that anyone that needed gear from these instances is an alt or never saw a full clear of naxx 25 or even naxx 10 unless they got a superior pug.  Badges have also been reworked allowing people to get some gear from heroic farming and letting the more casual player attempt uld 10 or maybe 25...would these players ever cut it in a end game raiding guild, probably not considering most of them probably do not play many hours a week.  Blizzards approach is quite logical here they are allowing people that would otherwise never see the inside of most of these instances the gear to attempt them and have a little fun they allow time extensions on raid ID's why do you think that is...so people that otherwise would not have the time in a week to complete an instance have a chance to clear it.  The kicker here is that the people that play a lot but dont cut it for a major raiding guild are not longer vastly superior to the average kid that plays a few hours a week and i am sure that there are more than a few bruised egos.  Access to the most difficult content is now the distinguishing factor not i played a lot for the last year and got some good pugs and i have better gear than most casuals.  Blizzard is raising the bar but they are raising it from the bottom picking up the majority of their player base to allow them access to content that they would otherwise never see and for the most part none of these people will ever see arthas besides on a youtube video.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

sorry for the wall of text guess i got carried away with my explination and didnt use many paragraph breaks and such. :p

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Everyone i know likes it.
    And it is not as easy as the author has indicated.
    My guild has tried TOC 10, and the tank is not geared enough to get through all of it. Just the first boss took us a few tries. It is not undoable but it will take a few weeks/months before even a big fraction of the guilds can have it on farm. And don't forget 25 man & hard mode.
    If you read MMO-champion, only TWO guilds in the world have cleared hardmode 25 man TOC. That is a total of 50 players out of 11M. I don't think Blizzard has anything to worry about making the game too easy.
    If you go to wow-heroes.com, as of NOW, on my server, calestrasz, there are like only 20 guilds who have clear anything in TOC 10, out of >200. None has cleared everything. ONLY 6 guilds have down any TOC 25 boss.
    It will be months before even half of the guilds are having any of these in farm.

That isn't challenge, that is just a time sink. Those bosses haven't been taken down not because they are that difficult to beat, but because players haven't grinded enough to get the gear to beat them. I never found any of the raids I did in WoW challenging, the only challenging was grinding enough so that I could have good enough gear to beat the encounter.

The difficulty should be in the encounter, not the time it takes to have enough gear to beat it.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• zpassengerzpassenger Member Posts: 11

I think the real problem is that every hard core player doesn't have much success in real life(work, studies, girls, etc).

Most of them have nasty jobs with lower wages, working a lot hours per day (8+ or 12 like some people are saying here) and are a 0 at school. I've played in blade's edge and and I've trialed a guild named Fortuna, and there were even a lot of 25+ year old guys that still lived in their parents home and had very trash jobs like carrying bags in airports, some didn't even had a job and where unemployed. And fortuna isn't even an harcore guild, eventough they are on top of the horde guilds on the server.

They always hanged on to mmorpgs to beat the guys that play casual and that normally have more success than them in RL, and to have a chance of being recognised in anything.

Mmorpgs are the easiest way for hard core gamers to have some success in anything without the need to have a good academic profile, or a good reputation at work,  you just need to spend some time in mmorpgs to achieve that (3 to 4 hours per day, 5 days a week). Playing more hours and having tighter raid schedules  than casuals is the only way to beat them.

The problem comes when hard core gamers shout out loud that "their" game is not meant to allow  casual players that pay the same monthly fee as they do to have some success in "their" game and achieve some glory in "their" game. If blizzard listens to hard core gamers, you see casual players leaving and they might be 70% of their playerbase. If they don't, you see hard core gamers cry on forums, but they are just too addicted to leave, mostly because they don't have anything else to  hang on to, and because wow is "their game".

I believe blizzard is getting smarter, and they are opening the game to casual players, but they are leaving the heroic and epic achievements for hardcore gamers. HC gamers just don't like casuals to wear pretty gear, and they cry.

• Darkz0rDarkz0r Member Posts: 78

Threads like this are always filled with such diverse opinions, and while some are interested, it all boils down to:

1- Players that play for fun

2-Players that need to feel important, need reassurance in their lives, etc, but having "in-game status"

I think, maybe, blizzard is actually investing a little bit more into 1 than 2, so people are whining. You want to acomplish something? Do so IRL, games are pixels so you can have fun, not to stroke your ego because you are, in fact, no one.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by nkryptik

and another one of the WotLK kiddie noobs facerolls the keyboard.

If you ever actually worked for anything in your life you know that you feel better when you get something you worked for rather than yelling Mommy this is too hard.

Seriously we need a game that is full of challenge that keeps us working and keeps us playing with something new each day as it takes that long to get through the levels and you learn to play your class right instead of thottbot cookie cutters running around using the same moves as the last tool.

There was a time when having the gear meant you were respected in the game and comments like this are the same as what trade chat is full of now.

Oh your mean words...they burn. /smirk

Ass, I have worked for many things in my life, I worked my way through college, five long years (I doubled majored) on third shift in a textile mill, that was worthwhile. WoW is a game you myopic dilettante. Wow has plenty of things to keep people working, that isn't what your'e upset over you are upset because WoW can no longer provide a place where for once in your miserable existence you are big news. If you honestly think that a few pixels ever bought you respect then I have a bridge to sell you.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I like the fact that they are starting to realize the game is not supposed to be a second life.  Let raiders and others of their ilk have their pieces of the game but don't forget those of us with active RLs. I don't care if it takes me months to get something accomplished. These "hardcores' who think we just want instant gratification are delusional. I don't know anyone who wants it now they just want the chance to get it differently. Whether it be 100+ step quests or some other system.

• UnibrowUnibrow Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Everyone i know likes it.
    And it is not as easy as the author has indicated.
    My guild has tried TOC 10, and the tank is not geared enough to get through all of it. Just the first boss took us a few tries. It is not undoable but it will take a few weeks/months before even a big fraction of the guilds can have it on farm. And don't forget 25 man & hard mode.
    If you read MMO-champion, only TWO guilds in the world have cleared hardmode 25 man TOC. That is a total of 50 players out of 11M. I don't think Blizzard has anything to worry about making the game too easy.
    If you go to wow-heroes.com, as of NOW, on my server, calestrasz, there are like only 20 guilds who have clear anything in TOC 10, out of >200. None has cleared everything. ONLY 6 guilds have down any TOC 25 boss.
    It will be months before even half of the guilds are having any of these in farm.

That isn't challenge, that is just a time sink. Those bosses haven't been taken down not because they are that difficult to beat, but because players haven't grinded enough to get the gear to beat them. I never found any of the raids I did in WoW challenging, the only challenging was grinding enough so that I could have good enough gear to beat the encounter.

The difficulty should be in the encounter, not the time it takes to have enough gear to beat it.

While I partially agree with what you say, I can't agree with all of it. It's true that it's a time sink, such is the nature for MMOs to keep you subscribing and collecting money. However, your average casual player still has plenty of difficulty with the 10-mans, and it provides a challenge for them, much less the 25-mans.

If you go to the forums, you'll see plenty of people listing their DPS against Patchwerk at 5-6k. Not too shabby for the gear required for Naxx. However, a casual guild has plenty of people that still struggle to hit 2k. Partially because of gear, but more so because they're casual. The 25-mans are more for skilled players, players that can take orders, players that have worked on their spell rotation or their reactions to bosses, etc. And I still know of quite a few casual guilds that run 25-mans, but it takes them multiple months to clear the place simply because they don't have the skill to defeat them.

This, of course, begs the question: what makes an encounter difficult? Is Patchwerk considered difficult? He can be for the gear check, but beyond that, he's a tank-and-spank. However, the other bosses require things that gear can't give you -- timing, coordination, reaction. awareness, etc. For instance, one of my favorites is the 4 Horsemen. A more complex fight considering the tactics used to defeat them. It's just plain fun to have the coordination of switching the bosses as the debuffs stack up.

Then again, I suppose the skilled or hardcore player, may get tired of these "gimmicks" thrown in and still view the content as "easy", but a vast majority DON'T think it's easy at all. So then, what would make a skilled player, or a hardcore player, happy? What kind of boss encounter would make the game more appealing? Truthfully, the more I read these posts, or posts like these, I wonder if the bosses are the root of the problem.

You see, every boss of every game is quite the same -- a scripted event, in which when certain conditions are met, certain actions are taken. It's been this way since NES days. Not much has changed at all. I think what might make more hardcore players happy is having a dynamic enemy, one that thinks and will use different tactics according to your tactics... oh, wait, that's PvP, nevermind. This whole post was pointless.

"Imagination and fiction make up more than three quarters of our real life."
    Simone Weil

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

I raided throughout college and got my degree on-time.  Clearing all of BC raiding was an amazing amount of fun to work together as a raid group, helping people get better and being able to clear things with a fair amount of difficulty to take down.  All raiding should take practice and a thing called "progression" is not all grind, some people actually enjoy learning how to kill things with several people, and several phases, working as a team...Archimonde (without those sad log hugging people) was a tad ridiculous though.

With the newest expansion, raid content was cleared with an unparalleled ease - I even did level 80 5 mans at 66 getting crushed like a madman using leftover sunwell gear & greens/blues as you found em.  That was more fun than -any- of the raiding in this expansion, as it was a challenge to fight far undergeared & underleveled.  Actual raid instance clearing can be done in a single night for some and by a guild to farm in a month :/.

Difficulty by removing people from a raid, having you not get hit by anything a boss casts, or doing things with perfect time scales is not "difficult" it's frivolous.  "Achievement raiding" is a sad excuse for content and the new expansion's content (or revamping of the old) is too little too late...it could of been done long before, when it was still fresh to mind and lore pertinent.

While WoW is a good MMO and argueablely the best (I personally prefer FFXI) it has become "Casualcraft" and it's a shame.  At least looking back over the last few years you had something to look forward to, a raid you could not reach or some things you just lacked time for...now is all just accessible to the 5 year vet or the 1 month n00b.  Now with a full-time job I couldn't raid like I did, but I still wholeheartily agree with "put the time & earn it" like it was and like you will never see again - in any MMO :( as its a classical MMO ideal, to die with the ages as did "hell levels".

Blizzard is a business through & through.  Power and Casual Gaming make you money, so of course that's how their business plans will go...I just hope it doesn't effect the quality of design put into their other current LPs - we shall see :)

PS.  Gear has become less and less an issue as time has passed.  Banks full of potions, scrolls, and resistance gear is a thing of the past - and skill can makeup for quite a bit of lack of gear (with exception to only the tanks, which as one - it was never a problem for me...I had over half my tier set in 2 weeks after release of WotLK :/)

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

Too much emphasis on gear, not enough on skill.

But that has been wow from the beginning.   In fact, its true of most mmos...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

agreed

• djFEVAdjFEVA Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by gorillaz951

Originally posted by djFEVA

Many discussion and debate is centered on terminology. Thus far, there hasn't been any undisputed definition for what it means to be a casual gamer vs. a hardcore gamer vs. a skilled gamer vs. a veteran gamer. There's aspects that people have put into each category that may apply for another.
    I think a casual gamer is someone who logs relatively few consecutive or total hours during any given week due to whatever reason that they are not playing the game. A hardcore game is someone who plays religiously, treating the game as their happy job. I do not equate skill with time logged, and I think that's the root with a lot of negative connotation of the word casual and hardcore. A skilled gamer is someone who is able to maximize the potential of their character, gaining respect as a good player from their fellow teammates as well as their opponents. A veteran gamer is someone who has stayed with the game for a set amount of time (whether it'd be BETA or launch), and it is regardless of how many hours they log on average per week.
    In my humble opinion, no player falls into just one box. It's unfair to force that issue, just like all the bashing WoW has got for trying to incorporate all of those types of players into the game. Whether or not they are doing a good job, well, that's not for me to say since I stopped playing about 2 years back.
    I will say that from what I've been following up with recent activities in WoW, there are many disgruntled players, and there are still many who rave about the game. Ultimately it comes down to money. As long as there is a "healthy" number (aka giving Blizzard their revenue cow), WoW will continue to its imperfect and quite frankly impossible to perfect way of keeping our eyeballs glued to the computer screen.

Very nice post! I understand your point and this can be put into many other games as well.

But you forgot one category that is slightly important: the incompetent gamer.

These are the players you see in-game making poop and Chuck Norris jokes in a trade chat. These are the players kill stealing your monsters for an important quest you have to do and then laughing at you. These are the players corpse camping you when they are 70 or so levels above you! This is the REAL Problem WoW has with me. I have played many other games and by far WoW has the worst community voice ever; a fat 11 year old spamming "n00b" in your message box as he hammers you to the ground. It's hard to even consider them "Players".

lol, I was trying to be nice, and stay non-political about the players that drive you absolutely crazy... whether it's total lack of understanding in how they play their character or other above things that you've mentioned already.

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

• djFEVAdjFEVA Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Shreddi

If these changes are in addition to and not replacing then who cares?   Only the jealous/selfish few would care less if they add casual content to the game.  As long as they dont replace or take away the content already there and expected in the game.  Otherwise so what if others dont have to punish themselfs the same as you did?  They should give a badge or something who do complete the more difficult content to be fair.   Like a no whimp badge.   And im sorry I had to laugh at "the good player" doesnt get respect.   Come on man its a mmo.  Its not like were making as much as a tennis pro playing quake or other FPS requiring dead on reflex and hard core practice hours like other sports.   I sure the hell cant compete with that lot and put in more hours than most and I  "get no respect".   Should start a comedy bit but that lines been taken.   Mmo's are a second life to some I understand but expecting respect from a toon for flashing epic bling is taking things a little too far. 

I don't equate having epic bling with respect. Having gear only means you are a part of a compotent guild, one has been coordinated enough to get through the content in which those pieces are dropped. It does not, however, say anything about the skill level of the individual player. Although you do get a glimps of that by the kinds of enchantments and jewels the armor has.

By respect, I mean as a competitive player, you feel challenged and inspired to play the game and/or play with/against that particular player. In a guild that would this player has position of authority or leadership. In gameplay, it would mean that player makes smart decisions that contribute to the success of whatever he/she is doing. This is what makes me respect a player.

The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Originally posted by Yauchy

I raided throughout college and got my degree on-time.  Clearing all of BC raiding was an amazing amount of fun to work together as a raid group, helping people get better and being able to clear things with a fair amount of difficulty to take down.  All raiding should take practice and a thing called "progression" is not all grind, some people actually enjoy learning how to kill things with several people, and several phases, working as a team...Archimonde (without those sad log hugging people) was a tad ridiculous though.
    With the newest expansion, raid content was cleared with an unparalleled ease - I even did level 80 5 mans at 66 getting crushed like a madman using leftover sunwell gear & greens/blues as you found em.  That was more fun than -any- of the raiding in this expansion, as it was a challenge to fight far undergeared & underleveled.  Actual raid instance clearing can be done in a single night for some and by a guild to farm in a month :/.
    Difficulty by removing people from a raid, having you not get hit by anything a boss casts, or doing things with perfect time scales is not "difficult" it's frivolous.  "Achievement raiding" is a sad excuse for content and the new expansion's content (or revamping of the old) is too little too late...it could of been done long before, when it was still fresh to mind and lore pertinent.
    While WoW is a good MMO and argueablely the best (I personally prefer FFXI) it has become "Casualcraft" and it's a shame.  At least looking back over the last few years you had something to look forward to, a raid you could not reach or some things you just lacked time for...now is all just accessible to the 5 year vet or the 1 month n00b.  Now with a full-time job I couldn't raid like I did, but I still wholeheartily agree with "put the time & earn it" like it was and like you will never see again - in any MMO :( as its a classical MMO ideal, to die with the ages as did "hell levels".
    Blizzard is a business through & through.  Power and Casual Gaming make you money, so of course that's how their business plans will go...I just hope it doesn't effect the quality of design put into their other current LPs - we shall see :)
     PS.  Gear has become less and less an issue as time has passed.  Banks full of potions, scrolls, and resistance gear is a thing of the past - and skill can makeup for quite a bit of lack of gear (with exception to only the tanks, which as one - it was never a problem for me...I had over half my tier set in 2 weeks after release of WotLK :/)

you lie and you contradict yourself. you also tell a lot of nonsense,

There is still a lot to fight for.