Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A strange thing happened

dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I played Aion in CB and really enjoyed it. Got a couple of characters into the 20 + level range and found I liked the PVP elements too.

So then OB starts and get it all loaded up, create my first toon and start to play. Well, I know lots of people like myself had lag issues due to some ISP, blah, blah but that is not the issue.

I found myself not wanting to do it again. I know my toon will be wiped at the end of OB and just did not feel like grinding through the same stuff for the 5th time only to do it again on release. Then I was thinking, do I really want to do that on release too? I was suprised because I enjoyed the game a great deal.

At any rate, I am now debating on whether to keep my pre-order or not. hmmm....I will have to think on that.

The real issue of discussion here is that most of the MMOs have the same starting static points and ramping up new characters may give you a few different options but is it enough.  Some offer a little variety. Aion has basically two starting zone depending on which race you pick but essentially they start and progress much the same way "Wake up, you need to get up and kills some basic puds and then move on to the first town and some quests".  No real variety between the two.

With AOC it was one starting location but you could make a few choices of where to go to get most of your early leveling done (White Sands Isle, The ruins, or t he Underhalls). Ulitmately you had to do some of each and it was not enough variety.

Champions Online is great fun but there is no way to skip the tutorial (thank god it is not long) and then you have a choice of two locations. This needs to be expanded because the making alternate heroes with different powers is a big deal in a supers game.

Fallen Earth had the right idea. Skill based so you can vary the characters, mutliple starting zones and factions. it falls short, in my opinion, with the execution and gameplay though. Game was just not for me.

I harken back to the original EQ. Many starting locations, many races, many classes and all started and felt different. Same with WOW and Vanguard. Lately though, they all basically give little variety and if you want to ramp up multiple toons it is a snore fest after the 3rd time or so.

Aion may not keep me even though it is a fine game. Future games may not keep me either unless they start to enhance the replayability and create a more interesting way to make and start new characters.

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Looks like the problem lies more with *you* than the game. I've started multiple toons during the CB and open beta and have not grown at all bored of starting out. Perhaps you are just bored with starting from scratch in any MMO that you play (or maybe you have played too much in the betas), in which case I suggest playing a game that does not require leveling.

I think there might also be an issue (not with you necessarily) with people coming to try Aion after playing their level 80s in WoW: while a level 80 has tons of toys, abilities, and gear, a level 1 toon in Aion has none of those things and has to play in a begining area, which might make a person's opinion of Aion's gameplay seem limiting, bland, and repetitive after a very short time. I think people forget that starting out as a level 1 in WoW isn't exactly a breathtaking experience, and quite frankly, if you actually take the team to read (gasp!) the quest text in Aion, it is much more interesting that WoW's quest in the beginning.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• vivevive Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

I played Aion in CB and really enjoyed it. Got a couple of characters into the 20 + level range and found I liked the PVP elements too.
    So then OB starts and get it all loaded up, create my first toon and start to play. Well, I know lots of people like myself had lag issues due to some ISP, blah, blah but that is not the issue.
    I found myself not wanting to do it again. I know my toon will be wiped at the end of OB and just did not feel like grinding through the same stuff for the 5th time only to do it again on release. Then I was thinking, do I really want to do that on release too? I was suprised because I enjoyed the game a great deal.
    At any rate, I am now debating on whether to keep my pre-order or not. hmmm....I will have to think on that.
    The real issue of discussion here is that most of the MMOs have the same starting static points and ramping up new characters may give you a few different options but is it enough.  Some offer a little variety. Aion has basically two starting zone depending on which race you pick but essentially they start and progress much the same way "Wake up, you need to get up and kills some basic puds and then move on to the first town and some quests".  No real variety between the two.
    With AOC it was one starting location but you could make a few choices of where to go to get most of your early leveling done (White Sands Isle, The ruins, or t he Underhalls). Ulitmately you had to do some of each and it was not enough variety.
    Champions Online is great fun but there is no way to skip the tutorial (thank god it is not long) and then you have a choice of two locations. This needs to be expanded because the making alternate heroes with different powers is a big deal in a supers game.
    Fallen Earth had the right idea. Skill based so you can vary the characters, mutliple starting zones and factions. it falls short, in my opinion, with the execution and gameplay though. Game was just not for me.
    I harken back to the original EQ. Many starting locations, many races, many classes and all started and felt different. Same with WOW and Vanguard. Lately though, they all basically give little variety and if you want to ramp up multiple toons it is a snore fest after the 3rd time or so.
    Aion may not keep me even though it is a fine game. Future games may not keep me either unless they start to enhance the replayability and create a more interesting way to make and start new characters.

You hit on one of my first issues when I started playing a second character...  There is no variance, it's plain and simple linear questing, might as well pay a monkey to do it.  In the end, I don't know if it would be worth it to level more than one toon up.

Right now I'm trying to get a feel for the different classes.. I have a Mage(13), Warrior(9), and Priest(9)  --  I do have to say that the combat aspect is getting *a little* more interesting at level 13 with the Mage.  Warrior is still a drag, and the priest seems like it might be my cup of tea.. though.. I hate being a clothy in PVP lol (especially with a bullseye on my forehead and back).  KILL THE HEALER!!!!  o.O

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

That's why YOU SHOULD NEVER HARDCORE IN BETAS!!!!

Originally posted by Boardwalker

Looks like the problem lies more with *you* than the game. I've started multiple toons during the CB and open beta and have not grown at all bored of starting out. Perhaps you are just bored with starting from scratch in any MMO that you play (or maybe you have played too much in the betas), in which case I suggest playing a game that does not require leveling.
    I think there might also be an issue (not with you necessarily) with people coming to try Aion after playing their level 80s in WoW: while a level 80 has tons of toys, abilities, and gear, a level 1 toon in Aion has none of those things and has to play in a begining area, which might make a person's opinion of Aion's gameplay seem limiting, bland, and repetitive after a very short time. I think people forget that starting out as a level 1 in WoW isn't exactly a breathtaking experience, and quite frankly, if you actually take the team to read (gasp!) the quest text in Aion, it is much more interesting that WoW's quest in the beginning.

I totally disagree...  In WoW there are a number of races with subsequently multiple starting areas and tons of different paths you can choose WHILE leveling to 80.  Everytime you start a new character in wow it's a new-ish experience and actually kinda fun.  

Aion creates the exact same experience with a different toon.  You can't deny that.

• BureykuBureyku Member Posts: 488

I would rather slam my face into a wall than level through the exact same content in a static MMO more than once or twice.  WoW, LotRO, Aion's first 25 levels, etc. 

This is what happens when you do it multiple times.  At least you burned yourself out before having to buy the game?  I skipped OB completely, and never played on the faction or class I plan on rolling in beta so when it launches it will be fresh and enjoyable, and I will never have to do it again.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

Well vive as soon as your warrior hits level 10 if you choose to be a gladiator they are very, very fun.

As for your worries about priests.. clerics and chanters have the second best armor in the game so they aren't traditional 'clothies' in any sense!  If you love the priest so far then it seems like a cleric would be your bread and butter.

As for the OP.. I liked replaying the game on both sides with new characters.  It isn't shocking and surprising every time but I like the starting zones and find it fun.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

Originally posted by Fortenc

As for your worries about priests.. clerics and chanters have the second best armor in the game so they aren't traditional 'clothies' in any sense!  If you love the priest so far then it seems like a cleric would be your bread and butter.

O.o

Hmmm.  Well... considering I have 2 high level healing class toons in another game (I won't mention) *cough* maybe I'll play the priest tonight.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I love Aion, but yea I always saw this as a problem, running an alt (or playing thru the starter area, again come live) isn't really any fun. I don't mind running the same stuff again, and blow thru it kinda fast, but still.

Now as for WoW, It does have different starting areas, but you end up the going thru the same zones from 30+

Everybody ends up in STV and Tanaris at some point, then off to outlands, then Northrend...

• grimmbotgrimmbot Member Posts: 302

This is normal if you've been beta testing a while. It's beta burn-out. Many of us have been there. Don't let it get you down.

You've already *been* playing Aion during the other CB events, so now you're looking at yet another toon that you're going to play for a week, get wiped and you start *again* on release.

That doesn't mean it's boring. It means you're normal. It means you know what the value of your time is. You already know what to expect, you already know what you'll play on release, so... there's not much point for you to be playing right now.

On release you'll be fine, because you know what you'll be playing and you know that, as you get through the same content for now the 6th time, you know you're not due for a wipe. You can relax and enjoy yourself.

For someone like me who's only now seeing this for the first time, and not even sure if I'll buy the game (I got a key via Fileplanet since I was already a subscriber), the OB is very useful to gauge my interest in what I'd be doing early-on at release.

For you... relax and play something else for now. You'll enjoy the game at release much more if you manage your beta burn-out now.

Originally posted by lornphoenix

I love Aion, but yea I always saw this as a problem, running an alt (or playing thru the starter area, again come live) isn't really any fun. I don't mind running the same stuff again, and blow thru it kinda fast, but still.
    Now as for WoW, It does have different starting areas, but you end up the going thru the same zones from 30+

Everybody ends up in STV and Tanaris at some point, then off to outlands, then Northrend...

I agree, however even 30+ there's lots of options on where to quest.  Tanaris / STV complement eachother and you're in STV alot while jumping back and forth between different areas.  On my 3rd toon I decided to go a different route and leveled in almost completely different places than the first time.  Even in Outlands you have your choice (albiet small) but.. I found that a little more time spent in the dungeons meant skipping Terrokar Forest outright was totally warranted.  In Northrend you get the choice between Borean tundra and Howling Forde, Icecrown and.. the other escapes me.  Everyone ends up in dragon blight at some point, but you always end up going somewhere else Zul'drak / Sholozar before you completely polish the area off.

The idea is that there is no quest chain guiding you through the world like in Aion.  You pick up quests and see where they take you or follow the ones that have the best rewards or most promising stories.  Now.. if you knew nothing about WoW and rolled a new character you probably wouldn't know that at a low level you could *instead* head to Wetlands and quest there vs. Duskwood.. but it was available.

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

I know what the problem is... you want to like Aion you WANT to play it, you like MMO games, you generally enjoy them, you've had a positive expectation and for a short time things seemed to go as planned, however your subconcious has surfaced the reality of the game to your concious level and this has manifested in a lack of desire to play.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by Boardwalker

Thanks for the feedback but...yeah...I don't think it is me. I think it is the fact that there is simply not enough variety at low levels to want to do it again. There was a lot of variety with a new WOW character as I pointed out and with EQ and other games. Aion, I think has more variety later on which may hurt the game in some ways as some (maybe many) won't want to level mulitple toons.

I also said I liked the game during CB. It is truly a case of been there done that which I would also experience after release if I choose to get a couple of different classes going.

I am not really even burned out. Play the CO CB, OB, and launch with a few characters and think they need to expand the starting zone and give you a way to skip the tutorial but I still went and played and had great fun. It simply has more variety early on than Aion does, but perhaps less later on.

I will probably give it a go at launch but I do think I am going to skip OB so it can feel fresher on release.

Originally posted by nuififun

I know what the problem is... you want to like Aion you WANT to play it, you like MMO games, you generally enjoy them, you've had a positive expectation and for a short time things seemed to go as planned, however your subconcious has surfaced the reality of the game to your concious level and this has manifested in a lack of desire to play.

WOW, that was way too deep:) Probably a little on the correct side too.

Well yes you were burned out if you liked the game and kept on reaching the cap on every CB to OB everyone would get bored.

In the beta you had to find bugs not play the game there's your problem you should NEVER hardcore in betas.

• KaylinKaylin Member Posts: 41

I played all the Closed Beta events, so the only thing I have been using Open Beta for is to decide what my characters will look like. All of this to avoid burn out and make it still feel fresh and exciting at launch.

It's not becaue you can play, that you should. My best advice to people would also be just play something else until release unless you really haven't decided your class yet.

Greets.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

That's why i said in another thread that they have to be very carefull with how they handle their PvP.

They should really avoid to annoy the players by pulling some stupid Blizzard-alike moves. In case of constantly nerfing your class or breaking PvP altogether, unlike in WoW people will probably not reroll over and over again, nor do they have the option to temporarily skip PvP for a while and go PvE.

There is not much game besides PvP and very little replay-value, so they should handle the players in their endgame with great care.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

If people are getting bored after a few days...what draw will there be to keep playing this game 6+ months? 

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Eben

If people are getting bored after a few days...what draw will there be to keep playing this game 6+ months? 

None for me I know that much. I was bored in the first CB.

He was enjoying the game but kept on playing too much made many alts and probably got to cap with most of them for (probably) all the CB phases then when it came open beta he was burned out got it?

Yes you can get bored after 6 months or so but still you should never hardcore in betas they are for bug fixing and/or to see how is the game.

• LtJohnnyRicoLtJohnnyRico Member Posts: 214

Tread softly Eben, for you tread on fanboi dreams.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Alot of people are experiance pre-launch burn-out because of going hardcore in betas playing all these different characters. Beta is meant for locating bugs. Unfortunately if you dont try to limit yourself you wont want to play the game anymore. That is a major issue with open beta if not dont correctly. Or in this case closed beta. Now... the only reason I am buying this game is because I tested the CB and it fits my playstyles as a gamer. I suggest anyone that possibly has altism stay away from playing more then 1 character to about 20 or so to get an idea of the game.

Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

To keep this in context it is not a matter of being bored in a few days. Having played for a most of CB  with multiple toons when OB started I realized how much of a re-hash it would be and that I would have to re-hash yet again on release.

In regards to "never hardcore in beta" driving through as much content as possbile to report bugs and gameplay issues is kinda the point. more to the point,

I think i would get this way after my second character after release too. it really will feel like a bit of a grind to ramp another character. Don't get me wrong, the content, though a little typical, was solid the first go around and I really enjoyed it but I think replay will be limited. AGAIN, if you look at EQ, WOW, Vanguard (not baring its other issues) they had multiple starting areas with many races and classes and it felt different to go through the different starting zones.This made it more enjoyable to replay or ramp another character up. 

With Aion, you got two starting zones with much the same story and the same classes. As much as I enjoyed the first pass or two I did not want to do it again when OB came around and was considering whether or not I would want to on release.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

All the systems in this game encourage you to keep with 1 character, there's little replayability, but you dont have to create alts unless you want, since the endgame content is huge. Im sure they'll add better replayability as expansions come by, but as it is now, try to stick with 1 character and max it as much as you can, by then, new things will come.

Originally posted by LtJohnnyRico

To keep this in context it is not a matter of being bored in a few days. Having played for a most of CB  with multiple toons when OB started I realized how much of a re-hash it would be and that I would have to re-hash yet again on release.

In regards to "never hardcore in beta" driving through as much content as possbile to report bugs and gameplay issues is kinda the point. more to the point,

I think i would get this way after my second character after release too. it really will feel like a bit of a grind to ramp another character. Don't get me wrong, the content, though a little typical, was solid the first go around and I really enjoyed it but I think replay will be limited. AGAIN, if you look at EQ, WOW, Vanguard (not baring its other issues) they had multiple starting areas with many races and classes and it felt different to go through the different starting zones.This made it more enjoyable to replay or ramp another character up. 

With Aion, you got two starting zones with much the same story and the same classes. As much as I enjoyed the first pass or two I did not want to do it again when OB came around and was considering whether or not I would want to on release.

Well I can't say for you and everyone else but I know myself when I play/test a beta that will wipe eventually I get easily burned out so I tend to only test the first few levels for example I only got scout to assassin lvl 10 I think and got to first town then never played it again.

It was enjoyable? yes but should I risk making myself bored so I wouldn't play a game when it's gonna go live? hell no I know my limits and I do till I know I won't get burned out.

Now I'm telling all for the sake of people that really enjoy/enjoyed aion playing because I won't play it sadly because pvp is not my favourite aspect in a game I prefer the story, pve environment, dungeons, bosses, ecc so don't think I'm just flaming you or anything.

The battle system is amazing and for the first time I could use more then once back attacks even without the use of stuns and/or blind,ecc *ehem* wow *ehem* and even watching some arena 1 vs 1 fights showed how epic a fight can be were fights last longer then 5-20 seconds(depends class vs class ofc)

I saw some were in a thread on this site you can start participate in "arena!" from some level 10 ques and up.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

like i said in may and at almost all beta here,this game is good but enough to be worth paying all they ak for it .

for me the answer in may was HELL NO,and lasT sunday ,it was again hell no but for completely different  reason

this game ids they only charged monthly fee i would say its worth it but not the price they ask there are plenty of equally good game that cost less or even f2p

check lotr its 9.99 /month you cant beat that