Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone recommend me this game?

13»

Comments

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by Sevenwind  
    That depends what you like to play, rogue, tank, mage, healer the most. Any can solo well and any can also be essential to a group. I would say the unique class is the HoX which is a mage that uses a 2h sword. It is a lot of fun!

Aaagh. I cannot select the HoX in my trial account. :(  Several of the classes are not playable. I guess they'll be unlocked with a full key.

Anyway, the game is installed, including a hefty pack of patches that added a couple of hours to the installation time. Registration and character selection went smoothly. I then played for a few minutes before heading to bed. The first thing I noticed was a low fps. It was playable but definitely not nice. I know that the problem must be in my rig, not good enough for this game (it was a good gaming platform three years ago). Today I will lower the visual effects settings and see how it goes.

I know that a gaming PC is definitely a different beast than a working PC, specially in the graphics department. I'm not blaming AoC, it is just the way it is with computer games. Let's see how the game plays after tinkering with the settings. ...and then it comes the difficult task of convincing my girl that we do need a new computer :)

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Eanok

OK, I finally managed to download the game (it took me the whole night, sadly I couldn't do it on Friday as we were partying till late and on Saturday we got on our bike and spent the day out, which is also fun, but I really wanted to get started with installing AoC... gosh, it is hard to play computer games when your girl is not into it.).
    I also got a trial key at fileplanet (the link is in one of the posts above). The game is installing now, I will tell you guys how I like it. I can only play an hour a day as work, my girl and EvE will take the rest of my time. I will be parking WoW while I try AoC, and hopefully AoC will replace it in my HD. As mentioned before I like the lore, so I'm predisposed to like AoC. On the other hand I have little tolerance for bugs and if my suspension of disbelief is broken because of that I will hate it.
    Anyway, I will start playing tomorrow. Any pointers as to which server, class, etc should I try first? Someone mentioned Crom as the most populated PvE EU server, but I have no clue as to which class should a first time AoC player should try first.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

As someone else mentioned, it depends on what you like. I would, however, recommend picking a melee class to see how you like the combat system, and if you find you hate it you still have 4 caster classes that you can try. 

Dark Templar or Conqueror for soldier (Guardian may be a little hard core for first play through), HoX is a melee mage (and quite an interesting class), Bear Shaman is a melee healer (gotta swing that hammer to heal), and Barbarian as a rogue (Assassin can be a little hard to master)

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Eanok

That depends what you like to play, rogue, tank, mage, healer the most. Any can solo well and any can also be essential to a group. I would say the unique class is the HoX which is a mage that uses a 2h sword. It is a lot of fun!

Aaagh. I cannot select the HoX in my trial account. :(  Several of the classes are not playable. I guess they'll be unlocked with a full key.

No classes should be locked. You probably selected a race that cannot be a HoX. Only Stygians can play HoXs. Click each race and then on the right side it will highlight the classes you can play with each race.

If they locked classes that's a first I've heard of it. Try selecting the stygian race and see if it comes up.

As for low FPS...are you trying to run the game in DX10 or DX9? What type of video card do you have?

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

No classes should be locked. You probably selected a race that cannot be a HoX. Only Stygians can play HoXs. Click each race and then on the right side it will highlight the classes you can play with each race.
    If they locked classes that's a first I've heard of it. Try selecting the stygian race and see if it comes up.
    As for low FPS...are you trying to run the game in DX10 or DX9? What type of video card do you have?

That was it, I needed to select the Stygian race to unlock the HoX. It makes sense, of course.

Forget what I said about the low FPS, after updating to the latest drivers the game runs quite smoothly in my laptop, and the graphics are stunning. I have got to level 6 with a barbarian, I like the combat system, I was under the impression it would be something quite difficult to master but it is simple and effective.

I have been playing the solo quests so I don't know nothing about the multiplayer aspects of it but so far I think I'll buy the game for an additional 30 days of more thorough "testing".

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Can anyone tell me how big the difference is between dx9 and dx10? Not going to get dx10 untill i get my hands on w7, so i'm hoping the game looks as good on xp as it would on vista.

On a sidenote: Both Aquilonia and Hyrkania are still running, a nice surprise ^^

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

I'm sure someone will post the factual differences.

For me it feels like the world comes more to life with wind rustling trough the trees, grass moving, sun rays shining down upon you through the cloudcover and buildings, water glistening in the sun etc