Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for f2p

dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Couldn't even get through char gen without needing to spend money to do the things I want to do.

Granted I could get through without spending money but that would entail NOT making the char I want.  And what would be the point of not playing the char you want in an RPG?

My guess is the game will end up with the same active player base as they had before as people who back only because its f2p are going to be disappointed.

Background: Got DDO at launch, hated it. Retried it a few times, hated it. Heard it was f2p, figured maybe it was worth it for that price. Its not. Game is not worth playing if you're playing it because its free.

They shouldn't call it f2p. Its more UGWUP4P (You get what you pay for play).

Comments

• OutkilOutkil Member Posts: 7

So if you tried it when you had to pay, whay did you go back when it was f2p.  You really did not expect anything to have changed.  Did you?

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Could you please tell me why you couldn't make a character? Are some classes VIP-only? People who never bought it can only start playing tomorrow, and i don't feel like wasting bandwidth if I can't make a decent charc...

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

I agree its a bit silly that you have to pay for the 2 classes or races but oh well..... if you cant enjoy a different type of class then unlucky. lol

Erandur you need to Pay some points for Monk and Favoured soul class and for Warforged and Drow races. All others are free though.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • ShiyanShiyan Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by erandur

Could you please tell me why you couldn't make a character? Are some classes VIP-only? People who never bought it can only start playing tomorrow, and i don't feel like wasting bandwidth if I can't make a decent charc...

Some classes and races are VIP only. You have to spend money to get them. DDO has been a great idea but it simply doesn't have the gusto that most gamers are looking for now.

Shiyan

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

What did you want? Drow? Warforge? Monk?

I think it will do fairly well. There's already a huge number of folks playing on Cannith in the low level areas and the game hasn't even opened to F2P new players yet. I'm just one guy but if it were not free, I wouldn't be playing. I always felt they should have gone with the Guild Wars type model, charge for the box and let people play with no subscription fee. But at least you can get Turbine points by earning favor, although you'd need an epic amount of favor to have access to all the content.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Outkil

So if you tried it when you had to pay, whay did you go back when it was f2p.  You really did not expect anything to have changed.  Did you?

I didn't expect it to be different but thought that for free, might be a passable waste of time.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by Shiyan

DDO has been a great idea but it simply doesn't have the gusto that most gamers are looking for now.

Jesus, does any MMORPG these days? Personally, I'd have to say no.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

I could make a char. I couldn't make the char I wanted for free.

Only took bout 1.5 hrs to download. check it out for yourself.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Check out the scoop on the store discussion for the two races and two classes you can't get unless you pay. Honestly though if you are new to DDO there's a ton of character customization options available to F2P players, it can be a little overwhelming if you don't do some research ahead of time to see what kind of character you want to end up with in terms of multiclassing, skills, feats, enhancements, etc..

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

You have to pay for Drow and Warforge on the race and Monk and FS on the class but what he does not tell you is that if you creat a char and play you build up Turbine points or you can buy them but the build up is not a bad rate and you can then use those points to open up those class's and race's it takes awhile but can be done and then the only other stuff you need points for that are a must is the Adventure packs which you can get them all for 3375 points and if you buy points that would be $40 and you would have all the packs unlocked til they make more,

So with free softeware and no sub. you pay $40-$50 and can unlock all race/class/current content, that to me is a good deal if you like the game. The only reason I stoped playing was I made level cap and was not much else to do but that was back 6 months after release I am now playing again and haveing alot of fun.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• mushizomushizo Member UncommonPosts: 9

he also forgot to mention that BEFORE the game went free 2 play, you wouldnt have been able to play the Drow Race or the Favored Soul class as your first character, since you needed to do decent amount of quests to build up the Faction/Reputation points in order to unlock the classes...

Anyone who downloads DDO and expects to get a FULL game with ALL features unlocked at the price of ZERO is very optimistic and very naive.

Its a great game for a small group of friends that enjoy playing together and solving puzzles and missions... especially if you're into character building and skill customization... DDO definetely has a great portion of that :)

Aspiring Indie Game Developer...

Check out my blog and the progress of my game at http://tastygraph.wordpress.com

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by mushizo

he also forgot to mention that BEFORE the game went free 2 play, you wouldnt have been able to play the Drow Race or the Favored Soul class as your first character, since you needed to do decent amount of quests to build up the Faction/Reputation points in order to unlock the classes...
    Anyone who downloads DDO and expects to get a FULL game with ALL features unlocked at the price of ZERO is very optimistic and very naive.

Its a great game for a small group of friends that enjoy playing together and solving puzzles and missions... especially if you're into character building and skill customization... DDO definetely has a great portion of that :)

Yep I agree me and 3 friends are haveing a great time with it.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i cant belive people complain about a free to play, you should thank turbine for what they are doing..every one jsut want want wants

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog

i cant belive people complain about a free to play, you should thank turbine for what they are doing..every one jsut want want wants

A. Why would I thank Turbine for ruining the D&D ip as far as mmo's go?

B. The point of my post is that its not free to play to do a lot of things. So again, whats to thank?

Originally posted by dhayes68

B. The point of my post is that its not free to play to do a lot of things. So again, whats to thank?

your not a payinf castomer, why would they give you all the content in the game.

they need to make money somehow...its not a charity and this system is much better than most free to play out there

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I could make a char. I couldn't make the char I wanted for free.

Only took bout 1.5 hrs to download. check it out for yourself.

They need to make money somehow. Are you honestly rantint because it is not free enough to please a person who has already admitted to hating the game more than once? Are you trying to make me into a fanboy with this post?

Lets be real for a minute though. There is no need to thank a company for trying a new way to make money. Turbine did not go F2P/Hybrid out of the goodness of their heart of for charitable reasons. Turbine is trying this(and so far seems good) because DDO was in trouble.

Turbine has clearly stated from the behinning that this was not a full on F2P never have to pay to get stuff MMO change. If you failed to read or research you only have you to blame for not knowing the facts ahead of time.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Lets be real for a minute though. There is no need to thank a company for trying a new way to make money. Turbine did not go F2P/Hybrid out of the goodness of their heart of for charitable reasons. Turbine is trying this(and so far seems good) because DDO was in trouble.

yes, but atleast they give you the option to do so, and you can buy what you see fit from the item shop.

you should thank them for giving you another way of paying for the game.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

yes, but atleast they give you the option to do so, and you can buy what you see fit from the item shop.

you should thank them for giving you another way of paying for the game.

I should thank them for finding new ways to try and get my money? I pay, I have no interest in F2P for DDO(but I hope it adds PAYING customers), but thanking them for this is kind of like thanking the gas station for allowing me to use credit or debit. People seem to have a warped sense of things when it comes to online games. My thank you to Turbine comes out of my bank account on the third of every month.

They are giving you the option because they need more money, they are not doing it to make your life easier. Not sure if you played the game before or not but they are making a lot of changes to make the game easier, not for me but for new people because my money and the other subscribers was not enough to support the game.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

I wanted to add 1 important thing that seems to have been overlooked in this whole discussion.  You get TONS of classes and races for free.  There are at least 3 free classes for each type (fighter, scout, and casters) and then once you select say a fighter, there are 3 different builds that are available to you.  Complaining that you have to pay for 1 class that was there and 1 class that never was there before it went f2p is a bit rediculous.  If you are so desperate to play that specific class pay the 5 bucks for the points and give the game a shot.  $5 to play a game as much as you want, which happens to be pretty good for f2p MMOs,  sounds more than fair to me, in fact it sounds rather generous.  So stop crying about it, you sound like you are 12 years old.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

The game would have been a bigger success if 1) the game wasnt designed so "craptastically", and 2) if they used Guild Wars business model. Turbine  hasnt exactly been very smart. They expect the names (franchises) to sell the games for them, rather than amazing next gen mmorpg design and quality. Turbines strategy has been this: spend way too much money aquiring the license, then spend very little on the actual production. Rinse and repeat. They should stick to their own IP and realize how bad of a company they have become.

• ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

Yes, there are a few things you can't make right off the bat without purchasing them: Drow / Warforged races, or Favoured Soul / Monk classes. However, 2 of those above *no one* can make right off the bat without purchasing: Drow and Favoured Soul. Not even a subscriber can instantly make those on a new server. Both of those are unlocked in-game via gaining Favour, and are unlocked for ONLY the server you have enough overall Favour on. I'm a VIP, and I haven't gotten enough overall Favour on any server to make a FS there yet, so if I wanted to make one, I'd have to purchase it. Before DDO went F2P, my only choice would have been the Favour route. Now I have another option, if I really wanted to make a FS. I don't, personally, but I know others who did.

F2P players have the exact same options. All of the above can be 'purchased' by gaining Favour. Either getting enough to outright unlock them for free, no Points spent, or getting enough Turbine Points (which are gotten by getting various levels of overall Favour) to purchase them- again, for free, though via a different method. Even VIPs might purchase the unlocks for the above races/classes, because purchasing them unlocks them for every single server, whether or not you have the Favour to 'naturally' unlock it there.  No one can make Drow or FS as their 1st character on Cannith (the new server) unless they purchase it.

All you have to do to get the Turbine Points to spend to purchase anything in the store is ... play. Do quests, gain Favour, get Points, buy what you want. Have fun!

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Game in fact is Buy 2 Play now but allow you to enjoy some content without pay

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I made the trend "the scoop on the store".  I am not a D&D hater, infact i love the game. I played the early start to level 3 before I started to investagate..... my findings in a snap :

You have to pay heavy to play a Monk class, Warforge, and Drow race, just don't play them, it's just not a big deal.  Here are the big deals, you can only play up to level 4 UNLESS you pay for levels 5-8 however people say that you can find at random Siegel's that will un lock more levels, no one knows the details yet, such as if it's only for level 6, and you have to get lucky and find one for level 7 again. Know one knows if they get harder to find at higher levels. and find yourself paying anyway.

Now you can't expect to play for free, I would understand that, but the min. you would pay at the store is $6.25, and it would not be long before you would have to pay that to advance. If you just pay $6.25 you would be able to buy the leveling 5-8 package but, everything else important is much beyond what you would get for that price, such as the Adventure packs, They are expensive because you need most all of them.  People say you can work around them BUT I SAY NO, I have some experience with the game to say YOU NEED THEM to have any kind of fun, "yes' all of them.

The bottom line is:

You will get about 2 days if you know how to play, and about 5 days if your new to this game before you will have to pay. LESS THAT A FREE TRIAL IN OTHER GAMES !

If you like the game, I would recommend paying the $ 14.95 a month. Nothing had changed.

I'm coming back" but" after everyone gets sick of the ftp gimmick. Pay to play and Free to play people are not gonna play well together, because guilds are not gonna tolerate limited play people.

Thats just me :)