Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: SIEGE OF MIRKWOOD™

2»

Comments

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Originally posted by Swanea

Eh? How do we know how big or small mirkwood will be?  Granted, I don't think it will be that huge, but it's cool that you already know everything about the xpac, combat, the new instances, the book, and the skirmishes before the rest of us.
    I would love to hear the details you know, and why that makes the game bad, and not worth buying now.

If you post was for me, i dont know much about it. I was asking Trancer if he still played and why as he always is very negative about the game.

When did you get so gung ho about the game?  I seemed to recall, you disliked LOTRO too (to a degree), for the same reasons. And indeed, I found your post in the suggestions forum that I remembered.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2783505

My problem with lotro is finding groups. Some of the quest chains are so long that groups fall apart before completing. Im on the last spider sac kill of the last part of a chain in Trollshaws. Ive tried for three days to get a party to go in and kill spiders. Today i found one guy and told him we could two man it (hell in one more level i will be able to solo it) but he said he had bad memories of that quest and didnt want to do it. That did it for me, i cancelled my subscription and uninstalled. Im on at different times of the day and night and find it odd how unpopulated the trollshaws are.

So to answer your questions, yes I still play LOTRO. I try to log in and do a few quests, but invariably have to quit playing because I get stuck on a quest that needs a group and I don't have one (nor can I find one). I kill some stuff for a while, then log out frustrated because I love the gameworld, I just don't have anything to do in it except grind.

I blame a lot of the problems with LOTRO on turbine driving away players with poor design decisions. And considering they have close to $300 of my money, of course I follow the game quite well. That's a lot of money to me, and I've gotten very little return on it.

Groups can be hard to find. Ive been back to the game about three weeks and have found that some of the quests can be done with a smaller group and that is a help. The game is a bit top heavy now and Angmar is pretty deserted and from what ive heard it always has been pretty sparse. I cant speak of how the Trollshaws are now as my main is past that area and my alt is too low to go there. I do see lots of people in Moria and have been able to do some group material. After you get to the MIsty Mountain i think you will find grouping a bit easier. Seems there are always people going into Goblin Town to quest and get rep items. I play on Landroval and if you do was well i would be happy to help you get some of the group stuff done, just let me know.

I play on Landroval and rarely have trouble finding a group, more specifically a PUG.  Of course it may take some time to organize one, and sometimes you have to take the initiative and start one yourself but it can be done.

As for TJ, I have offered numerous times as have others, to help him out but he never takes anyone up on it.  If he did, he wouldn't be able to make his ridiculous statements.

Angmar was busy after it was released but many people only go there long enough to get the Fem armor now then move on to Forochel.  Angmar is best to attempt during the weekend due to many of the group quests taking a fair amount of time there.

Trollshaws always seems to have a steady flow of players through it whenever I am there.  I just leveled an alt with a kinmate there.  We saw people constantly and had no problem getting groups together for the group stuff there.

Eregion, the area before Moria always seems to be active in my experience as well.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give anyone now playing the game that is having difficulty finding groups is to join the GLFF(global looking for fellowship) channel.  This is the channel nearly everyone uses to find groups.  Reason being is because it is of course global and not regional.  This enables players to move on to another region but keep an eye out for others looking for a quest in a region just finished up.

That being said, I again am on Landroval and if anyone needs any help with anything feel free to look me up(as Einherjar/Mjollinar/Cyrcius) or PM me here and we'll set something up.   I have characters from max level on down and I'm always will to give players a hand as is anyone in my kinship.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I don't take up anyone's (alleged) offer because I don't want someone to come hold my hand while I do a quest.  I don't especially enjoy doing quests that someone has done already and knows how to do it

I've done, that's not a lot of fun, either.  That's how I did 1.11 and Great Barrows. Wasn't a lot of fun being ordered around, being told what to do and whot not to do, where to go, where not to go.

The only thing left in this game I enjoy is the exploration factor, and I don't want that robbed, too.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

I don't take up anyone's (alleged) offer because I don't want someone to come hold my hand while I do a quest.  I don't especially enjoy doing quests that someone has done already and knows how to do it
    I've done, that's not a lot of fun, either.  That's how I did 1.11 and Great Barrows. Wasn't a lot of fun being ordered around, being told what to do and whot not to do, where to go, where not to go.
    The only thing left in this game I enjoy is the exploration factor, and I don't want that robbed, too.

Here's a post were I offer to make you some hope tokens because you were complaining about the death penalty being "pretty big"...  http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=3978666#post3978666.......So much for alleged....anyways.....

Trance you can't have it both ways.  You weren't in the game from launch so most people are going to have experienced a good part of the content before you.  While there are new players coming in, this isn't launch so they are going to be rather hard to discern over people playing alts.  Your difficulty finding groups has nothing to do with the game at all, but rather your own self imposed grouping guidelines.  That's not the fault of the game.

Secondly, I wasn't offering to hold your hand.  I was simply offering to help.  I can play dumb as they come(except for playing my class) so you feel like you're doing the area the first time.  Don't assume everyone is like the groups you experienced 1.1.11 and the Great Barrows with.  Many of us love the game for the world that it is and have no desire to blow through it or rob someone else of their experiences in it.

Never the less, good luck in your adventures.

Originally posted by BesCirga

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by areb

Skirmish system definitely sounds interesting... I think it's a natural progression from the defense instances (the 3 angmar battle instances and the Defense of Lorien) which were awesome.  And the Call to Arms sounds interesting.  But what I'm really curious is how the combat overhaul will work.  I know there are people who find the combat in Lotro slow so maybe they are speeding it up? Maybe there will be fewer auto-attacks, and faster attack animations to accomplish this.  If so I think this is cool.

floon commented on the official forums that they aren't really revamping combat as much as they are just trying to smooth it out a bit.

From the sounds of his comments, they are making skills interupt the auto attack and fire off more quickly rather than waiting for the auto attack animation to finish before firing off the skill.  It should make combat feel a little more fast paced.

If that happens, it will be the last nail in lotro's coffin for me...

As for SoM. It seems small to be honest, but I will hold my critism for a while longer. But ill say this; nothing in SoM's shortnotes impressed me.

I missed this post earlier.

Why would it be the last nail? 

If you interpret that as moving to twitch based combat, I would agree wholly that would be a bad move and a possible killer for me as well.  I don't think they are looking to make it twitch based combat, just smooth out some of the more clunky movements in relation to the skills and auto attack interaction.

That to me would is a good thing.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

The expansion will only cost 19.99.  My view is biased by being a lifer (I pay zero per month these days), but to me that seems like about the right price for the features they have announced.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by Papadam

Maybe it will be a "Pay what you want" thing like Radioheads album and now the new Championship manager game. Turbine is known for innovative pricings! As a lifetimer who have been playing free for over a year I dont mind paying some extra.
    Remember where you read it first ;)
    The expansion sounds awesome to me!

As a lifetimer i can also say i am more than willing to fork out $60 (damn Australian currency) for this, however...my highest character is only 35 so i don't see a need for it just yet (it all seems like higher level content to me).  Tbh this expansion seems like something they are putting together while they grind away at making Rohan so for me it's an indication that Rohan is at least a year or two away.  Lore wise the expansion makes perfect sense...

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Twitch based combat would be weird for the game.  I could see a MUCH more reactive combat system.  Instead of when I cast an anthem as a mini, waiting 3 seconds after the cast to be able to cast again.

Or if I cancel a cast, having to wait a second or two to begin casting again.

We shall see soon with more details I am sure.

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

Originally posted by BesCirga

floon commented on the official forums that they aren't really revamping combat as much as they are just trying to smooth it out a bit.
    From the sounds of his comments, they are making skills interupt the auto attack and fire off more quickly rather than waiting for the auto attack animation to finish before firing off the skill.  It should make combat feel a little more fast paced.

If that happens, it will be the last nail in lotro's coffin for me...

As for SoM. It seems small to be honest, but I will hold my critism for a while longer. But ill say this; nothing in SoM's shortnotes impressed me.

I missed this post earlier.

Why would it be the last nail? 

If you interpret that as moving to twitch based combat, I would agree wholly that would be a bad move and a possible killer for me as well.  I don't think they are looking to make it twitch based combat, just smooth out some of the more clunky movements in relation to the skills and auto attack interaction.

That to me would is a good thing.

No, I interpret it as you wrote it. Interuptions of auto-attacks, or any attack for that matter, are not what I would call a smooth combat system. Stopping attacks mid-air just seems clunky and un-natural for me, and it becomes a much more mindless button mashing than timing and planning your attacks. Lotro's combat has a nice flow and with its current system stays pretty close to a old RPG turn based combat system. 

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Death1942

Originally posted by Papadam

Maybe it will be a "Pay what you want" thing like Radioheads album and now the new Championship manager game. Turbine is known for innovative pricings! As a lifetimer who have been playing free for over a year I dont mind paying some extra.
    Remember where you read it first ;)
    The expansion sounds awesome to me!

As a lifetimer i can also say i am more than willing to fork out $60 (damn Australian currency) for this, however...my highest character is only 35 so i don't see a need for it just yet (it all seems like higher level content to me).  Tbh this expansion seems like something they are putting together while they grind away at making Rohan so for me it's an indication that Rohan is at least a year or two away.  Lore wise the expansion makes perfect sense...

Nah we will get rohan in the spring imo. This is just a small step to keep people around and begin the transtion to Rohan.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• gonewhanedgonewhaned Member Posts: 4

don't usually respond to any threads here but decided I would for this one. my understanding of what the devs are planning is to release SoM now (since they promised an expansion be next year when they release MoM) and give volume 3 in a free content, to me I see this as the tubine over promised and went oh shit we don't have an expansion. so lets give them what we have, but you know what? I don't overly care I've got two guys level cap so still more to level I've only gotten one peice of DN armour (some in my kin are at full sets but thats their problem lol) bosses start at level 61 and go to 64 and you need rad so its not going to be really out leveled plus first ages coins (wondering if their going to have better armour besides the dol guldur raid), so you've got tons to do and you'll continue getting free content and good costumer service, now before you label me a fanboy lol I'm not saying that this expansion is huge or turbine is perfect, far from it, but they do listen to what people are saying, they've kept MMOs up for 11 years. that means they have to put stuff people want in or they would have gone broke... looking forward to the instance coin drop change so less grinding instances :) and helping gets you rewards which should help PuGs, plus mount changes are great and a new raid, plus the skirmishes if you listen to the PaX interview sounds like they want to make it PvP... but I can continue to hope can't I? :)

well I would love rohan (fav nation in the book) I don't  think their going to do it from rohan its a quick jump to gondor then mordor I think their going to head to Lone Mountain/dale first to prolong rohan lovers sufferings lol

Goneric

Firefoot level 60 minstrel

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by Swanea

Eh? How do we know how big or small mirkwood will be?  Granted, I don't think it will be that huge, but it's cool that you already know everything about the xpac, combat, the new instances, the book, and the skirmishes before the rest of us.
    I would love to hear the details you know, and why that makes the game bad, and not worth buying now.

If you post was for me, i dont know much about it. I was asking Trancer if he still played and why as he always is very negative about the game.

When did you get so gung ho about the game?  I seemed to recall, you disliked LOTRO too (to a degree), for the same reasons. And indeed, I found your post in the suggestions forum that I remembered.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2783505

My problem with lotro is finding groups. Some of the quest chains are so long that groups fall apart before completing. Im on the last spider sac kill of the last part of a chain in Trollshaws. Ive tried for three days to get a party to go in and kill spiders. Today i found one guy and told him we could two man it (hell in one more level i will be able to solo it) but he said he had bad memories of that quest and didnt want to do it. That did it for me, i cancelled my subscription and uninstalled. Im on at different times of the day and night and find it odd how unpopulated the trollshaws are.

So to answer your questions, yes I still play LOTRO. I try to log in and do a few quests, but invariably have to quit playing because I get stuck on a quest that needs a group and I don't have one (nor can I find one). I kill some stuff for a while, then log out frustrated because I love the gameworld, I just don't have anything to do in it except grind.

I blame a lot of the problems with LOTRO on turbine driving away players with poor design decisions. And considering they have close to $300 of my money, of course I follow the game quite well. That's a lot of money to me, and I've gotten very little return on it.

It really just sounds like you need a kin, usually my rule of thumb is if i cant seem to find a good kin the first couple of months there is no sense staying

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

the economy is not so bad that you can't afford an expansion, especially when you have a few months to save for it.  QQ somewhere else ffs

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

You people are serious? Your actually going to pay money for this expansion? 

Sorry if im not jumping to join in with the crowd and say "what a great expansion" because honestly this is the saddest excuse for a payed update I have ever seen in my life.

Seriously what are you getting for this? Someone said "New features, content and changes to exsisting systems".

Um ok I see one new feature, which just sounds like a solo freindly side grinder for the new 5 levels they added. 

Content? I see new missions, that is all. Why not throw in something of value other than just quests? Whatever happened to new hobbies? Or maybe a revamp to the horrible housing system? Or even just something to make the game not just about fighting. 
    I remember when this game was originally known as Middle Earth Online, and it was actually going to be good. They had a system where you could write your own books from parchment found in rare dungeons. It was kind of a way to "Pass on your story's to others" like Bilbo did.
    Why not something innovative and new like that? Instead you get Skirmish's with NPC "Pets" and some tweaks to combat.

I played LOTRO and I actually enjoyed the month or so I spent in game but this is not worth whatever price they are throwing on it.

-Jive

I have to agree with some of this.  Lotro has always been a good game, but they need to go back and address some of the weaker aspects of content that is already there.  They created an entire system to plug hobbies into, and what do we have?  Fishing still? The player housing is pathetic.  I've said it before and I will say it again; instanced housing that just hangs off the end of the game somewhere is useless. 

The only way housing is ever going to work is if there is a REASON to go there.  Let people craft and open up shops with vendors in there. If houses must be in an instanced area, make quest lines that go in there so people will have a reason to walk by houses and maybe go shopping there. Make more decoration items instead of the incredibly boring junk we have now.

I like Lotro, don't get me wrong. I played it for quite a while before I got sick of it.  It just blows me away that with a few relatively small tweaks to the game, they could have a nice Theme-park / sandbox hybrid game that would attract a diverse crowd of people. As it is now, they threw some pseudo-sandbox features in and called it a day. Hell, I would go back until something better comes along.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Daffid011

The skirmish system sounds like you command npc troops and lead them against other armies.  At least that is how it reads above.  It sounds really cool in concept. 

It might be enough to get me to resub and see what it is like. 

anything has to be better than "monster play" crap to be honest

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Groups can be hard to find. Ive been back to the game about three weeks and have found that some of the quests can be done with a smaller group and that is a help. The game is a bit top heavy now and Angmar is pretty deserted and from what ive heard it always has been pretty sparse. I cant speak of how the Trollshaws are now as my main is past that area and my alt is too low to go there. I do see lots of people in Moria and have been able to do some group material. After you get to the MIsty Mountain i think you will find grouping a bit easier. Seems there are always people going into Goblin Town to quest and get rep items. I play on Landroval and if you do was well i would be happy to help you get some of the group stuff done, just let me know.

Grouping has been a problem in this game for a very, very long time. I mean way before MoM.  When you start hitting areas that have gouped chain quests, you can miss a ton of cool adventures and items because you get stuck on some leg of the chain and can't ever find a group to move on with. The only way I found around this was by rolling a Minstrel because they are always in fairly high demand.  My Loremaster was virtually ignored despite having some mad crowd-control features. I often had to skip many of the cool group quests in popular areas.  I can only imagine this is worse now with MoM.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• vinillavinilla Member UncommonPosts: 24

I don't have problems with group finding, but i guessit's because I play in the europian servers ...

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Turbine should possibly looking at putting a few servers together, if SoM dosn't bring in more players since only a few servers have a good population IMO although I perfer high population servers.

• pedro999pedro999 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Silacoid

Originally posted by Comnitus

And there's already people saying, "Turbine's going to make us pay for this? What's so great about it?"
    Talk about spoiled - I guess that's the downside of having free content updates. Now I guess Turbine will have to add Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, Rhûn, and Harad - all at once - before they'll justify paying for an expansion .
    Skirmish system is what has me most interested.

You seem to forget that people pay $15 a month to play these things.  So we are paying for those "free updates"  and if I'm going to spend $40-$50 in one go I want it to add something new and exciting to the game.  A few instances, a raid, and a smallish sounding new area are not things I look for in an expansion.  Skirmish system could be the equivalent of the EQ2 arena system which fell flat on its face.  I'll judge once I know more about it, but it sounds like a repetitive mini-game.

This is a full expansion with new features new content and huge changes to existing systems.

At the end of the day, you have gotten more for free from turbine for you 15$ claim to entitlement than you would have ever gotten from any other development house.

Spoiled is definitely the right term I think.

Sane people look forward to the expansion.

Great point.  LOTRO is already the best and most expansive MMO available with fantastic updates to date with no expansion fee.  From what I can see, so far, plus what we have already received I think $40 is not a big deal to support Turbine in their continued dev of the best LOTRO to date

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Well, it looks like I'm gonna be re-subbing!!!

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by pedro999

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Silacoid

Originally posted by Comnitus

And there's already people saying, "Turbine's going to make us pay for this? What's so great about it?"
    Talk about spoiled - I guess that's the downside of having free content updates. Now I guess Turbine will have to add Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, Rhûn, and Harad - all at once - before they'll justify paying for an expansion .
    Skirmish system is what has me most interested.

You seem to forget that people pay $15 a month to play these things.  So we are paying for those "free updates"  and if I'm going to spend $40-$50 in one go I want it to add something new and exciting to the game.  A few instances, a raid, and a smallish sounding new area are not things I look for in an expansion.  Skirmish system could be the equivalent of the EQ2 arena system which fell flat on its face.  I'll judge once I know more about it, but it sounds like a repetitive mini-game.

This is a full expansion with new features new content and huge changes to existing systems.

At the end of the day, you have gotten more for free from turbine for you 15$ claim to entitlement than you would have ever gotten from any other development house.

Spoiled is definitely the right term I think.

Sane people look forward to the expansion.

Great point.  LOTRO is already the best and most expansive MMO available with fantastic updates to date with no expansion fee.  From what I can see, so far, plus what we have already received I think $40 is not a big deal to support Turbine in their continued dev of the best LOTRO to date

Its neither the best nor most expansive but its is a great game.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me