Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Gaming PC help

SilverwatchSilverwatch Member Posts: 232

Hey all at the moment my gaming pc has burnt out again due to overclocking and instead of replacing im just going to make a totally new gaming pc but i need help in what to include. I want to be able to max out Aion preferably and basically i want another gaming pc that will last me for another couple of years so i can play all the latest releases with max settings. I also dont want to spend a silly amount of money on this pc, i was wondering if anyone had any sites or any help in general if thats possible, thanks in advance.

[Edit Spelling]

Currently playing : Darkfall
Character name : Aeola Anara
Played: Almost every P2P MMO you can get your hands on, notably:
Daoc, SWG, LOTRO, WAR, AoC + Dozens more

Comments

• akatntakatnt Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Silverwatch

Hey all at the moment my gaming pc has burnt out again due to overclocking and instead of replacing im just going to make a totally new gaming pc but i need help in what to include. I want to be able to max out Aion preferably and basically i want another gaming pc that will last me for another couple of years so i can play all the latest releases with max settings. I also dont want to spend a silly amount of money on this pc, i was wondering if anyone had any sites or any help in general if thats possible, thanks in advance.

[Edit Spelling]

Depends on money you are planning to spend. Q6600 would be great cpu for low end with 8800 gts or 9000 series card. If you plan to spend a bit more then go for Core I7 with 260+ GeForce card. When it comes to emory look around for good deal. For performace take a look at tomshardware and few other sites. Both of those will run Aion in max. Happy gaming

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_desktop/rts_desktop/1/storefronts/NP267AA%2523ABA

I just bought that computer, runs stuff extremely well.  It ships fast and is cheaper than if you were to customize a computer with those same specs.

If you are one of the people who can build a PC though, i7 processor is the way to go and I would recommend an Nvidia graphics card with at least 512mb memory, probably better to get one with a gig.  Also make sure there is DDR3 because that will eventually be upgradable to Solid State Drive, which is going to be the most amazing advancement in computers in a few years.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

[Edit Spelling]

if you want to keep a sound budget and dont want good OCing then try a AMD 720X3 or better yet a 965 x4, those are solid gaming cpus adn are paired well with a 4890

Intel i7 will cost your a bit more, but will give you a bit more performance... the 965 (AMDs flagship) is about on par, maybe a hair faster, with the i7 920 in gaming. 

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It is pretty pointless to pair up an i7 with a 260 or less though. It'll just sit there idle the whole time unless you have some nice SLI/Xfire setup.

• SilverwatchSilverwatch Member Posts: 232

thanks for the replies guys, tbh i have enough knowledge to build one myself but ill have to price it all up and see, but this has been a massive help thanks

• nagrand66nagrand66 Member Posts: 6

Most Gaming-PC I know costs 900-2000 USD but if your going to buy don't buy laptop use desktop for games.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Aion is not the best to set hardware requirements for your new rig. The game is designed to hit the widest audience and game engine reflects those needs.
    The game is technologicaly outdated.

ok so say i was goin to make a gaming pc for the latest releases graphically wise etc, what would a good setup be if i were to spend around £1000 GPB

• SlayVusSlayVus Member Posts: 22

Intel's new Core i5s and Core i7s for LGA 1156 were released the other day in the US. I'm not sure what kind of pricing you can get one in Europe, but they are worth it in my own opinion.

The $200 Core i5 performs almost like a $300 Core i7 920 and the motherboards for the Core i5s are cheaper by about $50-$100 or more on some boards.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
    MSI X58 Platinum SLI
    G.Skill PI Black 3x2GB DDR3-1600
    Western Digital CB 500GBx3 Riad-5
    VisionTek HD 4870 X2
    Corsair 1000HX

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

There haven't been many reviews on the performance of the Core i5 or Core i3 yet.  I think its best to wait on those first before making a judgement on getting them.  Both those chips fail to utilize some things that are in the Core i7(Triple Channel DDR3, and Hyperthreading).  I think it will make a performance difference.

I would'n thave made the suggestion if I didn't know what I was talking about.

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=6804

There is also a pre-view of the i5 and i7s on Anandtech that I am to lazy to dig up.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
    MSI X58 Platinum SLI
    VisionTek HD 4870 X2
    Corsair 1000HX

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

ok so say i was goin to make a gaming pc for the latest releases graphically wise etc, what would a good setup be if i were to spend around £1000 GPB

I would wait for new generation of gfx that is supposed to be released in couple of months if possible.
    Also make sure you make a room in your budget for LCD so you can enjoy higher resolution powered by your new meachine.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

[Edit Spelling]

Read this thread my child click and help remove the infitel from Europe, do not be tempted by the whore i7 or her cheap sister the whore i5. For they shall only drag you down to the very depths of computing depravity and their bloated mothers shall make you pay dearly also!

AMD VULT!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola

Read this thread my child click and help remove the infitel from Europe, do not be tempted by the whore i7 or her cheap sister the whore i5. For they shall only drag you down to the very depths of computing depravity and their bloated mothers shall make you pay dearly also!

AMD VULT!

I don't know why you would suggest AMD when Intel is better at this point in time and all your doing with this post is flame baiting, which I am pretty sure isn't allowed.

AMD does have better price to performance ratios, but the i5 and i7s do in fact perform better.

ALSO, AMD doesn't offer ANY solutions for running CrossFire OR SLI on the some motherboard. Which is where Intel has an advantage.

LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 motherboards also negate the worries of upgrading your CPU since all X58 and P55 motherboards, from Intel's mouth, will be compatible with future CPUs unless otherwise noted. For example, the Hexa-Core i7s that are coming out WILL work on current X58 motherboards without(according to Intel) needing a BIOS update.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
    MSI X58 Platinum SLI
    VisionTek HD 4870 X2
    Corsair 1000HX

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by SlayVus

Originally posted by Agricola

AMD VULT!

I don't know why you would suggest AMD when Intel is better at this point in time and all your doing with this post is flame baiting, which I am pretty sure isn't allowed.

AMD does have better price to performance ratios, but the i5 and i7s do in fact perform better.

ALSO, AMD doesn't offer ANY solutions for running CrossFire OR SLI on the some motherboard. Which is where Intel has an advantage.

LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 motherboards also negate the worries of upgrading your CPU since all X58 and P55 motherboards, from Intel's mouth, will be compatible with future CPUs unless otherwise noted. For example, the Hexa-Core i7s that are coming out WILL work on current X58 motherboards without(according to Intel) needing a BIOS update.

you are right and wrong =P (And Intel CPU Based Mobos have some with only sinle PCIEx16s as well... not sure where you are getting that from)

the upper end Phenom IIs are running on par FOR GAMING with the i7 920.  They will be faster than most i5s and probably all i3s.  Not to mentions that AMD has the advantage of one single socket which makes upgrading a bit less painless. 

Either way upperend CPUs will not be the bottle neck.  get a good cpu and a good gpu and you are golden. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Tibbz

you are right and wrong =P (And Intel CPU Based Mobos have some with only sinle PCIEx16s as well... not sure where you are getting that from)
    the upper end Phenom IIs are running on par FOR GAMING with the i7 920.  They will be faster than most i5s and probably all i3s.  Not to mentions that AMD has the advantage of one single socket which makes upgrading a bit less painless. 
    Either way upperend CPUs will not be the bottle neck.  get a good cpu and a good gpu and you are golden. 

The bottleneck of the modern computers are the harddrive yes.

AMD have it's advantages but lets not listen to nuts without any proofs about what is the best processor. Lets check some benchmarktest instead, there isn't that many out yet for the I7 but Toms hardware always delivers.

www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/SiSoftware-Sandra-2009-SP3-Cryptography,1390.html Check how the I7 beats PhenomII here...

www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/PCMark-Vantage,1394.html And here

www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/3DMark-Vantage-1.0.2,1396.html Here it is friggin close but I7 still wins by a hair.

Those are unfortunatley Toms hardware (best site for these kind of things) only tests with the new I7.

This page is also helpful: www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2398.html

If price isn't the issue the new Intel processor beats the AMD everytime. If we are however on a limited budget things are different, AMD rules the lower pricerange.

whilst i would love a powerhouse of a pc i dont have all the money in the world etc. As i put, with a price range of £1000 GPB so around $1500-1750 USD whats the best setup i could have? i used to be clued up on it all a couple of years ago but frankly iv forgot what i need etc.

In the benchmarks you posted about the Core i5, it performed 20~50% worse then the Core i7 in processor related tasks.  That is anything excluding gaming.  Thats perfectly within the means of competing with the current Phenom II line.  Considering the price of the motherboards of the LGA1156 line and the processors.  It has a worse price to performance ratio then AMD.  Once again I think this was caused by the things the Core i5 line lack.  Hyperthreading and triple channel memory.

Also its in niether processor manufacturers to continue supporting the socket type through the next 2 years.  AMD is replacing its aging server architecture with a new socket, and so is Intel.  Over the next 2 years Intel and AMD are predicting new architecture designs that are sure to utilize a different socket standard.  That being integrate graphics on CPU.

Originally posted by Cleffy

In the benchmarks you posted about the Core i5, it performed 20~50% worse then the Core i7 in processor related tasks.  That is anything excluding gaming.  Thats perfectly within the means of competing with the current Phenom II line.  Considering the price of the motherboards of the LGA1156 line and the processors.  It has a worse price to performance ratio then AMD.  Once again I think this was caused by the things the Core i5 line lack.  Hyperthreading and triple channel memory.
    Also its in niether processor manufacturers to continue supporting the socket type through the next 2 years.  AMD is replacing its aging server architecture with a new socket, and so is Intel.  Over the next 2 years Intel and AMD are predicting new architecture designs that are sure to utilize a different socket standard.  That being integrate graphics on CPU.

True, I just couldn't find any game based benchmark tests for the I7 yet. Besides I just wanted to kick the zealot a bit in his AMD ;D

whilst i would love a powerhouse of a pc i dont have all the money in the world etc. As i put, with a price range of £1000 GPB so around $1500-1750 USD whats the best setup i could have? i used to be clued up on it all a couple of years ago but frankly iv forgot what i need etc.

This link I also posted earlier will help you. First you just count the cost of all the other components, then there is a great list on which the best processor you get for the amount of money in the article.

The processor in the Gaming PC really doesn't matter too much.  As was shown in the benchmarks posted earlier they are within 1~2 FPS of each other.  It clearly shows that the games are more GPU dependant then CPU dependant.  The only real exceptions that come to mind are Strategy Games and Grand Theft Auto IV which is multi-CPU.  For a processor you want to meet a minimum of what you think games will utilize over the next 2 years.  I would place that expectation at 2.66 GHZ quad core considering the current selection of processors.  Most likely a later generation like a Core i7/i5, or a Phenom II.

so i think im goin to get a i7-920 for the CPU but now what else do i need, i was thinkin a nvidia 9800, do they do that in GTX?, what else am i going to need like mobo and power wise etc

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

You want to spend at least as much on the GPU as the CPU. Buying a $280 i7 with a $190 mobo and then a $130 9800GTX+ is gonna be a bad balance. The 9800GTX+ can easily be maxed out by any $120 CPU + $80 mobo. You'd get the same framerate for less than half the price.

If you buy a $280 i7 you should buy a $300 GPU to match it. Get a 4870x2 or a GTX 285 if you have that much to spend.

If you don't, get something like a Phenom II X4 945 or 955, that's $100 less on the cpu and $60 on the mobo, then use that cash toward a better GPU than a 9800. Pick up a 4850x2, GTX 275, 4890 or GTX 280.

so i think im goin to get a i7-920 for the CPU but now what else do i need, i was thinkin a nvidia 9800, do they do that in GTX?, what else am i going to need like mobo and power wise etc

The Core i5s will be out shortly. They will also be cheaper than the LGA 1366 Core i7s.

Here are some of the motherboards available.

LGA 1156 Motherboards

CPUs aren't out yet, but the i5-750 us supposed to be around $190-$210. So $200 for an i5 and $100-$150 for a mobo and $80 for RAM. Compared to $300 for a CPU, $200 for a mobo and $100-$120 for RAM. Thats a price difference of maximum of $240.

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
    MSI X58 Platinum SLI
    VisionTek HD 4870 X2
    Corsair 1000HX

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

the i7 920 and a single 4870 maxed out aion easily when i tested it. thats what i would do then you can just upgrade your graphics later by buying new cards

----ITS A TRAP!!!----