Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battleforge

SinviperSinviper Member Posts: 169

Is this game worth the download? Anythoughts?

Also, when was it released?

Originally posted by --Name edited out--

EX-PRO PLAYER IN WOW HERE.THIS GAME IS GOOD! TRUST ME IM USED TO BE THE BEST IN WOW BUT JUST A N00B IN AION. ITS CHALLENGEING , TRY IT!

[Sigh, watch out guys, this dude's pro.]

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Release about 6 months ago. I played it a lot along time after released, then went back to MMORPGs, and now since the new card edition is out I'm playing it again. So I'm not 100% up to date on the games currents state, having only played a few rounds since the last few patches.

The good:

- beautiful graphics

- incredible voiceovers of the units. Some of them are just so hilarious (in a good way). In matters of quality and entertainment value, the voice overs equal (or maybe are even better) than those of TF2. The units cheer when they kill something larger or you buff/heal them or stronger friendly units are summoned nearby. They have many different voice overs for movement or attack orders and even special ability.

- free to play and download

- a bit RPGish (you got xp and have ranks and stuff for PvE and PvP)

- wide range in matters of difficulty. easy missions = easy, the harder ones (especially single player) are (or were, dunno what the last few patches changed) so tough that only a few people I know even attempted them

- good mix of one, two or 4 player cooperative missions. 12 missions exist as well, but then there are still only 4 players on each map, though what people do or not do effects the other maps. Like, people on one map achieve something, sending that way the others reinforcements. Or in the opposite: some bad players should prevent mobs from entering portals on their own map to travel to the map of the other players, and fail at it

- upgrades of cards can be gained by earning PvP-tokens or as loot on cooperative maps

- free to play and download

- auction house for trading

- except a few power houses, cards can often be bought from the auction house for amounts of ingame currency worth 2 or 3 cents. So even if you invest only a few bucks a month you have enough ways to tweak your decks

- the music is often just nice in the background and you forget it quickly, but some of the tunes are really incredible

The bad:

- might become a big money dump if you spend too much cash to buy the in-game currency to buy new cards

- the auction house is sometimes very slow

- playing with random people (as always) might result in random games. Sometimes people have no idea what to do and don't communicate with the rest of the team, which then might end in annoying ways. Of course the opposite can happen as well, that you meet nice intelligent people and together you tackle the hardest maps

- be careful with the loot system. Example: a person sets up a game for a 12 people mission, and sets it to "assign loot". How is he supposed to assign 4 loot-cards to 12 people in a fair way? So make sure the loot-system is set when you join.

- battleforge is available in several languages, and there ain't servers for each language. Which again means that not everyone speaks your language. This sometimes caused trouble if there is a discussion in the game going on in russian or german or french or english, and a lot of people don't understand what's going on. Personally it doesn't bug me though as long as it's not too much spam. And that happens only while you are in the main screen of the game anyway. While actually playing you just chat with those you play with (or whisper to people who are not in your game but you want to talk to of course).

In short, it's like a mixture of a realtime strategy game and a trading card game.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Tartarus16Tartarus16 Member Posts: 8

isn't it free to play now?

Originally posted by Tartarus16

isn't it free to play now?

You can download install and play the whole game for free. You also start your account with enough cards to build your first army. You can also upgrade the cards you got with any upgrades you find and what not.

However, you probably want to aquire more cards soon, to tune your army or build a different one or try out other units and spells or whatnot. The cheapest way to get new cards is to buy them in the ingame auction house with the ingame currency. And to get the ingame currency you either have to sell cards in the auction house or buy it for real money from the battleforge website.

So unless you are verys very clever in buying and dealing stuff on the auction house, and unless you want to stick to the cards you start with (or some any people give you for free), you want to spend some money to try out more stuff.

I'm not sure if you start already with some of the ingame currency or not. To give you an idea how much the stuff costs in real world money: 1000 battleforge points cost about 10€ or 10$ or something like that. You can commons (cards that exist very often) for already 2 or 3 points in the auction house. Uncommons for like 10 to 20 (unless they're really good). Most rares for 20 to 100 (some of course more expensive depending on how much they are sought for), and ultra rares are sold in the auction hosue for about 100 to maybe 2000 for the best ingame stuff.

You can also buy random batches of cards for 250 each (or in a bulk for 1250 points where you get them cheaper). With luck you have cards in it worth several thosuand points, if you have bad luck you got only crap.

So if you don't want to spend anything you can already play the whole game,upgrade your cards to the maximum, gain the highest rank and beat each map on any difficulty. But if you like the game and want to try out more stuff you probably want to pay some. But thankfully for 10 euro you already get very far (unless you want to have the most powerful PvP deck I suppose).

Oh, just noticed:

If you manage to log in between 4th september and 10th september, while having achieved at least rank 4 in pve or rank 10 in pvp, then you will get a promo-unit later on for free. :)

Up to now I always missed those promo-special events, but since I got rank 11 in PvE I should manage to get one this time. ^^ They are like regular cards but (if I know that correctly) have a different model and all upgrades when you get them. :) So if you are into trading card games or fantasy rts games I'd install now and reach one of those ranks within the next week. ^^

As I talk about upgrades, sometimes the game might turn into a grind. As example if you want a very specific upgrade and you can only get it on a 12 player map, then it can take a long time until you get it. Alternatively you could of course play PvP and use the tokens you gain that way to buy the upgrade, but well, depends on if you are into PvP or not.

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458

I wouldn't really recommend the game unless your willing to spend money.

• danieltodanielto Member Posts: 10

the game looks pretty good