Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO genre do you believe has the most potential?

2»

Comments

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164

Sci-fi hybrid (class system with skill point allocation under the hood).

Think Anarchy Online but brought up to speed with todays tech.

looking forward to AO's revamp or Earthrise which ever comes first.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

• elit3gam3relit3gam3r Member Posts: 186

i still prefer to play strategic turn base mmorpg ^^

Luminary: Rise of the GoonZu player

• JAttractiveJAttractive Member Posts: 149

As much as people are dieing for something non-fantasy until they figure out (or are even capable of) making these games more "fun" fantasy will win out.  A big part of fantasy novels, movies and games has always been the accumulation of magic items, questing and skill growth (ie. levelling). This makes it an ideal fit for an MMORPG and is hard to duplicate in other settings. Lets face it, in the super hero and sci-fi genre the accumulation of items is not as "glorified" as it is in the fantasy genre. Sure you have cool weapons like a light sabre but you have a whole epic story based on a RING in fantasy books... It's just not on the same level. Whole mythos are created behind swords, armor and magic items and it is interesting for many gamers to try and collect these things. It is a drive to keep playing that is harder to replicate in other genres.

So fantasy must remain with the most potential for now. Once they figure out how to make these games fun and interesting to play outside of the accumulation of levels and gears then sci-fi or super hero games may start to take over. I DO think they will one day, I'm just not sure the capability is even there yet.

• olimassoolimasso Member Posts: 18

I like Pirate MMOs

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Fantasy is always good but would like to see something with a different setting. Perhaps ancient egypt or something from the greek mythology like the Titan Quest setting perhaps.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Either fantasy or sci fi have the most potential in terms of pulling sub numbers.  Probably more people prefer fantasy but this is just speculation on my part.

I'd love to see a well done western or pirate mmo but I have a feeling those would be very niche type games, where as fantasy I think has the broadest appeal.

One negative aspect about the sci fi genre is it seems they tend to focus on the future as some dreary, burnt out, appocolyptic setting.  It's not very uplifting, atleast for me.

I prefer a more fantastical world, with beautiful forests, elves, sprites, dragons, unicorns, orcs, etc.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Historical MMOs. The only we seen so far is WW2 online but a MMO in the crusades, England in the 1060s or some other interesting period could be aewsome. Since magic doesn't really exist (prove me wrong) the combat system would have to be very different and more action oriented than todays fantasy 'MMOs.

Cyberpunk is also a genre that would be really cool. A Shadowrun MMO would be great but one based on Gibsons Neuromancer would also be nice.

Low fantasy is the genre I see have most potential, so far we only seen Conan but the potential for that kind of games is really high, and to be honest I thought AoC have way too much magic compared with the books.

Steampunk could also be fun. A MMO based on FASAs old "Crimson skies" would be very interesting, or the old D&S setting "Ravenloft".

Horror is anothergenre that have a lot of potential, both with Lovecraft like games and zombie scenarios.

Detective could be fun too where people play detectives and villains like Sherlock holmes and Moriarty. Solving crimes or planning them, and a lot of riddles and puzzles to solve.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I don't care for genres themes that much as long as the game is good. I have never come across a game which I didn't like because of its theme although eastern style of sci-fi and fantasy can come close to that sometimes. None of the themes have any more potential than the other. They all can be twisted into the same mold.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by Computer1337

Title.  I guess it just depends on your preference.  But I have played one or two Sci-Fi mmos and I believe that if a company took the time and made a great Sci-Fi mmo, it would have so much potential.  Mainly just because fantasy is such a comman genre among MMOs, so I think Sci-Fi mmos are a little more original :)  Any other thoughts?

God the word "potential" again : ... The cemetery and last medical care centers of MMO's are filled with "potential"

It is ALL about a good game design with gaming value.

TR was SF and DF was Fantasy and Hellgate London was both.

I wouldn't mind an historical theme, but WW2 already exist(ed) too. So

what about games which have excellent fun gaming value instead of "potential".

Well it depends on how you interpret potential.  I think the OP was saying that potential as being able to expand further and become more fun.

Yet, this is another one of those things where no one can be right or wrong unless OP define his exact meaning of potential since it is a very loose term.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

In general, I still think there is room for a decent Sci-Fi MMO to get serious sales if it gets it right.

Personally, I'd love to have a Wild West, or Post Apocalyptic MMO.  Either way the horses or vehicles would have to be done right.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Sci Fantasy mix.. Something along the lines of Shadowrun or Rifts

However a great Mecha MMO would be great Battletech or Gundam or Robotech. MMO would just rock also.. so i am torn.