Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can people like 300+vs300+ battles?

13»

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Fkinglinux

Maybe on the history channel. I've never seen a large scale battle in any MMO that had any semblance of organization, if it did, not much more than a glorified zergfest.

Beyond that, as someone said, they're really like RTS games and the only one who has any fun in an RTS is the guy in charge.  Otherwise, you're just cannon fodder and you have to trust that the people running the show aren't stupid enough to get you killed.

However, I don't play MMOs to be a pawn, I play them to have a good time and running around on a leash doing the will of someone else that I may or may not trust isn't my idea of a good time.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Maybe on the history channel. I've never seen a large scale battle in any MMO that had any semblance of organization, if it did, not much more than a glorified zergfest.

Beyond that, as someone said, they're really like RTS games and the only one who has any fun in an RTS is the guy in charge.  Otherwise, you're just cannon fodder and you have to trust that the people running the show aren't stupid enough to get you killed.

However, I don't play MMOs to be a pawn, I play them to have a good time and running around on a leash doing the will of someone else that I may or may not trust isn't my idea of a good time.

You're a pawn whether you like it or not.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Any MMO that advertises massive battles is one to avoid like the plague.  The more players in the area, the greater the confusion.  None of these MMO have anything close to the tools needed in a mass battle like that.  Lag has little to do with it.  The only one I have played with marginal tools is Eve and even that is not something I enjoy.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Eh sometimes it's just something different about massive battles, it can be fun, just it can get tiring like anything else if overdone.  Some of the fun massive battles I've been in were back in DAOC days, when we had organized raids where we actually did flanking attacks, and used baits and strategy to counter another zerg.  Unfortunately I rarely see that these days, and a lot has to do with the game design of newer MMO's.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• EricCliffEricCliff Member Posts: 22

Gameplay> Graphics, and I love pvp and huge battles, thus I would love it.

I dont get why people dont like something, and then comes to the forums to say it stupid where I know many people like 300vs300 battles.

• EricCliffEricCliff Member Posts: 22

Whoever said the guy in charge are the only one having fun are clueless of massive battles.

In darkfall, I am usually the guy who scouts/flank/ bait, I like mount combat.

I get told where to scout, but I usually kill 3-4 ppl during the time we get sieged and the time we get attacked.

Darkfall is the only game that I have had fun in massive battling, Eve is stupid to me.

Originally posted by Palebane

You're a pawn whether you like it or not.

I'm not a pawn at all, I play games to do what *I* want, not what anyone else wants me to do.  When I stop being able to do what *I* want, I stop playing the game because it's no longer what I want to be doing.  Granted, that means I don't play a lot of games but that's my choice and I make it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Massive battles are the target of any MMO. You feel like a part of something bigger than just yourself, and suddenly winning depends on working together with your friends (or having the most of them :P). It's one of the things an MMO can do best of any game, after all, it's Massive Multiplayer Online, not Mono Masochistic Offline. You don't pay $15 a month to fly solo.

The biggest battle i've been in was in EVE Online, which had around 1100 participants - And despite some heavy lag, it was one of the most exciting things i've ever done in a game. It's about your clan, your guild, your alliance, not just about you, and you feel like you're making an impact on the entire world, rather than just hand in a quest for purely personal rewards. It's very very rewarding.

I would hardly call 50-75 players "large scale", in any case. The appeal in those huge battles lies exactly in the fact that individual skill doesn't matter as much as in smaller battles. You have to work with your entire group to get victory, rather than just try and fly solo, and that's where the challenge, aswell as the gratification comes from.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I dunno.. how can people like 1v1 or 8v8 ...

This has to be one of the.. well I don't want to say stupid... but really.. what is the point of the thread?

I play DAoC still (again) and I like battles period.  Huge keep sieges were actually fun to me..   why wouldn't they be.

Its certainly more fun than having a ton of high rr players that exploited dopples... so they can run 24 players over 5 players and talk about how "leet" their skills are on VN or some such.

We all have our perspectives I guess...

Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Massive battles are the target of any MMO. You feel like a part of something bigger than just yourself, and suddenly winning depends on working together with your friends (or having the most of them :P). It's one of the things an MMO can do best of any game, after all, it's Massive Multiplayer Online, not Mono Masochistic Offline. You don't pay $15 a month to fly solo.

I just love people who make ridiculously false claims.  In fact, the overwhelming majority of MMO players *DO* pay $15 a month to fly solo, at least a good portion of the time.  That's why most games have so much soloable content, that's what most players sign up to play.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Thenarius

I just can't understand how having a massive amount of names and twisted body models(since I doubt you'd see more than that at that number of players), bound together by a horrible server lag(not even master engines like L2's one can hold an exaggerated amount of players without ability/movement lag) and people running around doing random abilities(just spam w/e does damage, since most of the time it doesn't matter) make people happy?

I'm not against large-scale combat(which should be a normal number like 50-75) , but it's pretty retarded when people demand a huge amount of players zerging each other in(no matter how big the place is)a crowded lagfest. It removes any kind of personal skill. Hell, if you're versus personal skill(by playing the "MMO ain't FPS, dude" card, which is another lame thing, because there's much more to a RPG than numbers of players),then you'll realise it removes any tactics, like targetting certain players or moving to certain places to use certain things, because you'll simply can't.

It also seems like a masochistic type of gameplay, since I don't see how you can have fun by running around, spamming skills and hoping you zerg faster the other side(that, plus your entire screen being full of character models, instead of the landscape and other elements, like a RPG should be).

300v300 battles are pretty 'meh' in EvE now. People dont get excited if it's less than 1000.

I wouldn't want to do big fleet fights every day, but they can be pretty god damb intense, and you do get that feeling of epic strife.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

I remember playing Tribes 2... and the 30 vs. 30 battles. Awesome fun, zero lag. WoW's battlegrounds were fun too, forget how many those could support or can now, no longer play.

300 vs. 300? If the engine can handle it with high framerates for average computers, awesome.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by iZakaroN

Massive battles are more about leadership and common strategy than individual game play. In such battles leaders gives orders to his squad while synchronizing complete battle strategy with other leaders. Its more like strategy game where you play single unit as RPG game while leaders command his units as in WC3 as example. The feeling is really amazing and even considerable lag is difficult to ruin the experience. Its really epic when there is no lag and your leaders know to give correct orders - when to retire, when to attack and win the battle against outnumbered enemy.

You never played Lineage II in it's hey day than obviously. In that game superior leadership and organization won over the straight up disorganized Zerg every time. It had a lot to do with the rock-paper-scissors set up of the PvP than anything else. With a PvP game set up for this type of large scale combat good leadership is the key to victory. You had to know how to organize your forces for maximum effectiveness on the battlefield. If you just sent them in en-mass you would get slaughtered against even a much smaller force that had their forces positioned appropriately and each person knew exactly what their role was in the coming battle. You had to know where your forces were strong and what your weak points were and these changed constantly during a single battle so you had to reposition your forces to compensate.

Because of these PvP mechanics large scale PvP in Lineage II was a blast as it really had to do with whoever had the superior strategy not just who had the most players on the battlefield. Many, many times I witnessed a superior force(in numbers) totally owned by a smaller force using superior tactics in that game. This was because the rock-paper-scissors PvP setup was really designed for this type of game play and it worked well. EVE is setup very similar so even though I've never experience the large scale battles in that game I'm fairly sure the same principals apply.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }