Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CAN YOU JUMP IN FFXIV???

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Half a dozen topics about how Aion fails cause you can't swim and now you probably can't jump in FFX!V..

Well, as much as I like jumping in MMOs it is usually preatty useless.  I was disappointed that I wasn't able to jump in Guild Wars but it wasn't a deal breaker; it was just dissapointing.  Then again some games like Perfect World and City of Heros make good use of jumping/flying with the terrian level of buildings and flying cities.  If it's not needed then it is simply disapointing to have it added, but it's not a big deal either way.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• SaiuleSaiule Member Posts: 3

Jumping is in no way a necessity, line-of-sight is had by terrain, devoid from jumping, the majority of games don't jump for one reason only, it prevents collisions and stuck errors during gameplay.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by svann

Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by svann

Jumping is a useful tactic in a non-snare kite.  If kiting is allowed then jumping should be allowed.

So is warping and turbo boosts.

They should give everyone that as well. /sigh

Are you seriously comparing jumping with hacking?  By what logical basis can you claim that jumping is cheating?   If thats the position you are taking then a person could make pretty much the same case against kiting itself since you are exploiting the mobs weak AI and inability to realize it can never catch you. 

What hack? Who said hack?

In other games, certain classes have speed advantages that allow them to farm easier.

I think you read into something not typed there.

Possibly.  To me warping means using a 3rd party program to teleport you to position xyz.  Are you saying it is an ability in ff11?  Anyway if you are comparing jumping to a class specific skill then I dont follow your logic.  Why would giving everyone the ability to jump imply that everyone should also get ability X?  If you would like to clarify try saying what you mean instead of implying it please.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Oh hi, thar!

if you like to jump a lot, please read this necro bump!

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

Hmm, bumped or not, at least made me notice it.

If there really is no jump, it is a big disappointment for me and most likely a deal breaker. I gave up on GW, Ryzom and FFXI precisely for the lack of jumping. No jumping is understandable in case of mouse controls, ala BG, Diablo, <random asian grinder>. If a game is WASD though, there is simply no excuse for not being able to jump, period.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• HavenAE2035HavenAE2035 Member Posts: 50

Going to post here the same thing I posted in another thread concerning jumping.

Movement, not matter if it is jumping, swimming, crawling, climbing, ect... is never a matter of "usefulness", unless it is to traverse terrain that would otherwise be impassable. 

Instead, such movement often signifies a level of depth to gameplay. Whether that depth be for Roleplayers who want the submersion of truely feeling that they are in the fantasy world of the game to simply understanding that the devs cared enough to add a quality level of depth to allow you to move in more ways than just forward, backward, left, and right.  Or simply knowing that gravity does exist or that the ocean isn't made of boiling acid which is why you can't swim in it, yet those crabs can..

So keep that in mind. 

Besides emotes like hug, laugh, smile, dance, sit, ect... do absolutely nothing but we still had those types of command in FFXI as well as nearly every other single MMO ever made.   FF is infact the oddball of MMOs that doesn't allow a jump function to their players.

-Haven

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716
    Originally posted by Sah-aum

i dont think this is a question of if we can jump, but if we will be able to ride a stegosaurus?

excellent question my friend. anyways how often does anyone actually jump in an mmo? seriously??

• HavenAE2035HavenAE2035 Member Posts: 50

How often does anyone jump in an MMO?

Honestly?  It depends on the game.. I've used jump quite often to traverse WoW, EQ2, CoH, ect...  Somtimes terrain isn't as smooth as say, FFXI and you need the ability to jump to get around or even go over terrain behaps because a mob is in your way along the normal path so you opt to go OVER the hill rather than around it.

• RandomoniamRandomoniam Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by xbellx777

Originally posted by Sah-aum

i dont think this is a question of if we can jump, but if we will be able to ride a stegosaurus?

excellent question my friend. anyways how often does anyone actually jump in an mmo? seriously??

Well I used to use jumps all the time if I wanted to stop my own spell-casting if moving left or right could cause problems. I also think it hurts the suspension of disbelief when my character can't jump and can't swim. That's just as bad as invisible walls.

• bman2338bman2338 Member Posts: 1

Actually jumping significantly changes gameplay in WoW's case.  If you want to maintain your current direction for about a second but cast an instant on someone behind you the best way to do this was jump and turn then turn back to the direction you wanted to go... jump again and turn.... so on and so forth. Not being able to do this would impact certain classes significantly such as hunters/frost mages. Your other option is to turn and face them which require you to stop moving or move backwards which means you allow your target to gain distance on you.

• midgey555midgey555 Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by june32nd

Originally posted by garretth

.and it allows for immersion in a game.

i've seen this written by a lot of people....

is the lack of a jumping ability really go to "kill it" for you?

is the lack of jumping/hoping really going to make you snap out of the game and say fuk this i don't need this i cannot fully enjoy a game that does not allow me to jump.

if this makes or breaks a game experience for you than your right you toon should jump... off a cliff.

If anything Jumping itself is the Immersion breaker.

Honestly how mutch does anyone here jump IRL?

I havent played FFXI in years, I quit when it was still pretty new 1 and half year...maybe 2 years and I loved the game, just took me 4 hours to do anything at all.  I dont know how much it changed but one of the few things that bugged me in that game was how linear running around felt.  In many areas you had to stick to a given path or road.  If there was a road and to your right there was grass then that grass cut you off. 

There wasnt much freedom in being able to roam around.  I realize sometimes it gets annoying having kids jump around in circles but If theres a rock in my way I like to jump over it.  Its fun seeing where you can get to or if you can jump to a certain place to make a shortcut.  I wouldnt say it determines whether I would play a game or not, im excited for FF, I just wish there was a little more freedom than in FFXI.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

I think this was a dealbreaker for alot of people for ffxi when it was released in North America.  Community in that game during the first 6 months or so was awesome, though, so maybe it got all the stupid people to wait for WoW to come out so they could jump around.

And for people saying it's more immersive, do you spend your life jumping a billion times while walking down the street and constantly jump on and over everything you come across?  No.

In ffxi, once you got used to it, it actually seemed quite appropriate not to have jumping.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I feel restricted when I can't jump in a game.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by midgey555

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by june32nd

Originally posted by garretth

.and it allows for immersion in a game.

i've seen this written by a lot of people....

is the lack of a jumping ability really go to "kill it" for you?

is the lack of jumping/hoping really going to make you snap out of the game and say fuk this i don't need this i cannot fully enjoy a game that does not allow me to jump.

if this makes or breaks a game experience for you than your right you toon should jump... off a cliff.

If anything Jumping itself is the Immersion breaker.

Honestly how mutch does anyone here jump IRL?

I havent played FFXI in years, I quit when it was still pretty new 1 and half year...maybe 2 years and I loved the game, just took me 4 hours to do anything at all.  I dont know how much it changed but one of the few things that bugged me in that game was how linear running around felt.  In many areas you had to stick to a given path or road.  If there was a road and to your right there was grass then that grass cut you off. 

There wasnt much freedom in being able to roam around.  I realize sometimes it gets annoying having kids jump around in circles but If theres a rock in my way I like to jump over it.  Its fun seeing where you can get to or if you can jump to a certain place to make a shortcut.  I wouldnt say it determines whether I would play a game or not, im excited for FF, I just wish there was a little more freedom than in FFXI.

hmm, i cant really see that. I remember you being able to move all over the landscape, minus the mountains. Now if you were traveling from one zone to another, the paths were usually the fastest way to get there, but you could go quite a few ways to get to the zone.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

honestly, jumping is not a big deal at all. It does help depending on what time of terrain you have and it makes you movement in and out of combat a bit more advanced, but its not something you need for anything.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Not being able to jump would make me feel really restricted, it always irritated me greatly in FFXI, and FFXI was my first MMO I hadn't played one where you could jump yet. I like being able to jump over objects and ledges.  You should be required to jump and climb to over come some types of terrain. I can understand people not wanting to see other characters jumping up and down like rabbits constantly, but they could add a system to please both crowds. Make jumping drain some type of stamina like sprinting does in AoC, the more you jump, your character gets tired and you start jumping less higher until your character is too tired to jump at all for a set amount of time. Completely not allowing jumping isn't the answer imo.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

I don't know why people are saying you can't jump in XI. I jump all the time without an issue...

Still, just being able to hit a button when you are at an object you can scale or jump automatically in XIV would be the way to go. Just being able to jump around all the time, pretending it's actually doing you some good? Eh...

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• DawsnDawsn Member Posts: 3

Yes, you can jump. It can affect you negatively and in some cases positively during battle depending on many things, and it will be used to aid your journey across Eorzea. Swimming actions will be available and will be required to reach one of the regions held by a beastmen tribe, among other things.*

April fools threads make me sad. :(

• ZorakGhostalZorakGhostal Member Posts: 122

I jump in real life. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by midgey555

Umm.... What exactly are you talking about? Grass does not "cut you off" in FFXI. Ledges, fences and other obstructions do.

Running around felt linear? Are you sure you were playing FFXI, because I've been playing the game 7+ years now, and I have no bloody idea what you are talking about.

What the hell? What areas are you talking about? The only areas that restrict movement off a path are those that are designed specifically that way... the Jungles, areas of Zi'tah, etc... But by and large, the majority of the areas in FFXI are fully explorable, outside the normal obstructions you face in any MMO.... cliffs, boulders, walls, etc...

Seriously... I think you need to reach back and remember exactly what MMO you're describing, because it's not FFXI.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by ZorakGhostal

I jump in real life. 

I don't, no really I can't recall the last time I have jumped in real life.

Years probably, I don't play basketball or baseball or anything where jumping is a factor, I just go to work go home and such.  Jumping in my game of life would be entirely useless.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Apricoth

Although jumping can be kind of fun the novelty of it does wear off and in the end it's a "who cares" scenario. If the game doesn't need it I won't shed tears if it doesn't have it. My move from EQ1 to FFXI was a shocker - it took some time for me to adjust to the fact that I could not jump away to safety while being nearly mauled by a mob.  You just learn to adapt.

You learn to adapt if you are paralized and confined to a wheelchair. That does not mean your quality of life has not diminished.

The ability to jump adds the option of gameplay elements like stepping stones which broaden the gameplay experience.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Apricoth

Although jumping can be kind of fun the novelty of it does wear off and in the end it's a "who cares" scenario. If the game doesn't need it I won't shed tears if it doesn't have it. My move from EQ1 to FFXI was a shocker - it took some time for me to adjust to the fact that I could not jump away to safety while being nearly mauled by a mob.  You just learn to adapt.

You learn to adapt if you are paralized and confined to a wheelchair. That does not mean your quality of life has not diminished.

The ability to jump adds the option of gameplay elements like stepping stones which broaden the gameplay experience.

You also learn to adapt if someone invents a new forum of interface (for instance a mouse)  I was around when this invention took the main stream computer world by storm!   

So many people insisted they didn't need a mouse they were fine without it, it slowed them down.

People still don't use them if they don't like it.

Just because you assume that everyone needs some thing that is amazingly vital to you, does not mean that it is in fact amazingly vital to everyone.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Laughing-man

You also learn to adapt if someone invents a new forum of interface (for instance a mouse)  I was around when this invention took the main stream computer world by storm!   

So many people insisted they didn't need a mouse they were fine without it, it slowed them down.

People still don't use them if they don't like it.

Just because you assume that everyone needs some thing that is amazingly vital to you, does not mean that it is in fact amazingly vital to everyone.

You have your analogy backwards. Jumping is something that is missing from the game, not something new that is being added. It's not innovation - it is a missing feature.

Also - I never made any claims about how many other players consider jumping to be important. Nor did I imply it was a deal-breaker for me.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Only game that uses jumping right is Assassin's Creed.  All other games should get rid of it :P