Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to play next?

SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I'm unsure... three new MMOs released this month and as I'm looking for a new one I don't know what to pick.

Champions Online: The screenshots I have seen put me off as they look weird and cartoony buyt the vid I saw on youtube didn't look to bad so it's a possible. I haven't seen much info on crafting and I do like to craft so this may be an issue.

Fallen Earth: I know a lot of people have complained but the screenies I have seen appeal to me. I know the crafting is excellent and it's sandbox which is also a plus.

Aion: Everyone raves about it.  Not much else to say.

If you had to pick one, which would it be?

EDIT: You may want to ignore the poll as I hit enter by accident without Aion...

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

if you want to craft then i would go with Fallen Earth, like 90%+ of all the items in the world are made from crafting..or something crazy like that.

Fallen Earth looks good, but when it goes to FPS mode looks really poor.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I have tried all three out. Atleast 15+ hours on each.

Champions Online - Is pretty good, character creation was the most interesting thing about it. It's heavily instanced, the story is kinda meh. Combat is pretty fun for a few hours, but it starts to sour out  within a day or two.

Fallen Earth - Firstly the game revolves around crafting. Character creation is ok. The combat feels clunky though, I wouldn't call it a FPS to be honest. It's far from it. The Interface is pretty ugly to.

Aion - It's fun, but it's the same old stuff. From classes to combat. I played it in the chinese open beta. So I really can't say what all has changed.

I actually plan to give Aion a try until ToR comes out. Was going to go with FE, but it seemd to not offer anything to keep me around long term. Really you won't know for sure until you actually try them all. I know Aion is about to go into "Open beta". Not sure if the others will have a trial soon or not.

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

I already picked Aion.  Tho, I hardly consider it to be a revolutionary or even potentially great game...

Fallen Earth is really really raw.  From the extended time I spent in the beta, I have to say the game shouldn't be released this month.  After the novelty of the combat wears off (and it'll be fast) it becomes ultra repetitive and downright dull.  Fast travel options aren't fun in the least, since the physics for vehicles is awful.  It does have a fairly good crafting system, however...which neither of the other games can really boast.  It is "different" tho, which may appeal to people...but any experienced mmo-er could probably get their fill of this game in a week or two of beta...

Champions, well...champions is hard to explain.  The character creation options are extreme...but once you make that character and the novelty of being a super hero wears off, the funnest part of the game is running around with your travel power...just like COX.  The pvp is so basic and pathetic it reeks and there really isn't "end game" content right now.  If you loved COX or haven't played it, its worth a try...however, there is nothing in Champions to keep a veteran mmo-er distracted for too long.

Aion is more wow-like.  Its a theme-park mmo on rails that doesn't do anything new or revolutionary...but its a thousand times more polished than the other two (because it came out a year ago in korea) and offers the only true end-game experience of the bunch in the form of pve-raids and pvpve in the abyss, which is REALLY why most of us are getting into Aion...

Ask most mmo vets, and we really don't have much to choose from right now, thus why these games are even on the radar.

Hell, almost everyone who has "been around" long enough to know whats what with mmos is probably wishing they could go back in time to their game of choice at its release (me = DAOC and Planetside) and play that instead...but gotta do SOMETHING, right?

In Summary:  None of these games are anything more than a distraction until the better stuff comes out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Not sure if I'm classed as a Vet but I've been playing MMOs for about 6 years or so... I'm playing CoX for the moment to kill time and if CO is very similar I may give it a miss... if what you say is true about FE I may only be there a month before I'm looking for something new... may need to get into Aion OB to see what it's like.

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

Remember, there is always the option NOT to play an MMO.

...for some of you.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Champions is a solid game is you liked CoX and want a PVE focused game

AION is a good choice for both PVE and PvP but doesnt have the big raids.

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

Where's the "neither" option?

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I had a chance to tool around with Aion the last month or so, one of my buddies had some kind of early access or something and let me use the account.  I think it looks decent, it played well but other then that it's just a new setting for the same old stuff you've had up to this point.  If you like what you've done till now and need a new location to continue then give Aion a try.  "Open Beta" should start any day now so go see if you can get into it and play for a while. 

The way I feel about it is that it would keep me interested till I maxed out a character and got to see the content along the way.  Once there I would more then likely linger a bit before I cancel the subscription.  Playing that one character I had I already dreaded thinking about making another character and doing the leveling process again.

I don't know much about Champions Online, but if it's anything like City of Heroes/Villains then again it would hold my interest for about 2 weeks and then I'd promptly walk away as well.  The whole superhero thing got old for me fairly quickly.  Maybe it has something to do with me never idolizing any of the caped crusaders in the cartoons....

As for Fallen Earth I have no idea.  No experience with this game what so ever.  All I've seen is the vids on Youtube and without actually getting my hands on the game and playing it I can't say anything constructive.  From what I've seen at least I don't think I'll be touching it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-