Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk Mounts!

Xyfire1Xyfire1 Member Posts: 128

No, I am not asking for a WoW clone. I just figure, since it's an open environment, that there will be some sort of player-controlled transportation. (other than running, lulz)

What do you think?

Dragons for sure. ArenaNet is badass like that. Do you think they will allow flight? Also badass.

Once again, just because WoW has done it, doesn't mean that, if it's in another game, it a clone. I do commend ArenaNet for original creatures.

Comments

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

no not for a game like gw running ftw

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Don't quote me on this but i think i read somewhere that flying mounts won't be in game, not sure but this might suggest mounts of some kind but it could also mean no mounts at all, only time will tell really.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I may be in the minority, But I really have no desire for mounts. I have never liked mounts, and I dislike pets in game as well.  Maybe I am just a freak, but I have never had an interest in the " animals" in game.. to me it is more of a hassle and adds nothing to my gameplay expierance.. but hey that is just my 2 cents.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Mounts rock. And the many ways they can be used (Speed, Combat)

Even DnD table top has mounts

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

It will probably have the fast traveling sort of thing like in guild wars 1 were you open map and click on some town and get there instantly if discovered :P

• Xyfire1Xyfire1 Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

It will probably have the fast traveling sort of thing like in guild wars 1 were you open map and click on some town and get there instantly if discovered :P

I don't think they will. GW2 will be open-world so it's not like there will be loading screens everywhere. It's certainly possible but i just don't think ArenaNet will do that.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Xyfire1

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I don't think they will. GW2 will be open-world so it's not like there will be loading screens everywhere. It's certainly possible but i just don't think ArenaNet will do that.

Warp Portals though.

But they still take travling to

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I haven't read anything about mounts. They will have the Asuran gates though so you'll get your instant travel there.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

i think i read somewhere GW2 won't have mounts.

Mounts would be nice, but i wouldn't miss them that much, either.

Hype train -> Reality

• dkpilgrimdkpilgrim Member UncommonPosts: 16

no, mount is for a mmo that want you money after bought the game, not gw.

• Xyfire1Xyfire1 Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by dkpilgrim

no, mount is for a mmo that want you money after bought the game, not gw.

What are you talking about? Mounts are bought with in-game gold... Unless, of course, there is a "cash store" but we all know ArenaNet isn't doing that lol.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Considering it's more of a persistant world, I say yes to mounts. Even if you can still map travel or use gates there is no reason you can' have mounts too.. it's fun, it adds more content to the game... it's more of a persistant world so you'll be traveling around more... so I think the benifits of having mounts outweigh the negative.

Although I don't think they will have mounts, and that's okay, I still think they should consider adding them just to have more content and just for fun.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by natuxatu

Considering it's more of a persistant world, I say yes to mounts. Even if you can still map travel or use gates there is no reason you can' have mounts too.. it's fun, it adds more content to the game... it's more of a persistant world so you'll be traveling around more... so I think the benifits of having mounts outweigh the negative.
    Although I don't think they will have mounts, and that's okay, I still think they should consider adding them just to have more content and just for fun.

There is not benefits of having a mount if it only serves as a money sink in a game that has portalls for instant travel and skills like sprint for... sprinting. "More content and just for fun" is hippie-talk. I wouldn't waste manhours by indulging hippies. It is not good enough reason.

Even ES4:Oblivion had mounts. They were a money-sink just like the player houses were. Served no other purpose.

One game that has horses and properly uses them within the game is Mount&Blade which has an excellent combat system for a small indie game.

You may chooce: Use time by making mounts just for fun OR fixing bugs and creating actual content.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Quirhid

There is not benefits of having a mount if it only serves as a money sink in a game that has portalls for instant travel and skills like sprint for... sprinting. "More content and just for fun" is hippie-talk. I wouldn't waste manhours by indulging hippies. It is not good enough reason.

Even ES4:Oblivion had mounts. They were a money-sink just like the player houses were. Served no other purpose.

One game that has horses and properly uses them within the game is Mount&Blade which has an excellent combat system for a small indie game.

You may chooce: Use time by making mounts just for fun OR fixing bugs and creating actual content.

You're acting like creating mounts is a massive project NCsoft will have to undertake, a project larger than the game GW2 itself....mounts add to the experience of a game. When one gets to a certain level and they can ride a mount, it's fun. 

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Man1ac

You're acting like creating mounts is a massive project NCsoft will have to undertake, a project larger than the game GW2 itself....mounts add to the experience of a game. When one gets to a certain level and they can ride a mount, it's fun. 

Of course this is a matter of opinion.. they have never done anything for me perosnally... nope , nothing but an annoyance .. LOL can;t tell ya why I don;t like them, I just never have. I hate pets in game and summoned creatures as well, but maybe that is because I really do not like NPC's at all, I would rather have everyone in the game actual players, and only train on other players .. but that is just my opinion as well.

If they ever did add them, I would hope they would be a completely optional accessory, that I am not required to use and do not give an advantage in game simply because I would not want to be " forced " to use something that ia an annoyance to me. LOL I would like to keep the ability to "opt out" of mounts usage and still be able to enjoy the game.

• noob2Epicnoob2Epic Member Posts: 32

lol @ the opening. Do people really think if a game has a mount it is a WoW clone?

Anyway. I've always loved mounts. So long as their animation and size fit the actual game and don't look... awkward of half-assed. I like the majesty of having a mount, the speed increase, and the kind of 'fun' riding a mount provokes. Believe it or not, MMO's are about fun (for the players at least). If you like mounts and they are available, awesome. If you dislike mounts, don't buy one. I think mounts are perfectly harmless and do add a possibility to the game. Sure, they're a gold sink but what isn't?

However, I doubt GW2 will put mounts in. I'd be really happy if they did. If not, oh well, I'd still be happy.

• KoffeeKidKoffeeKid Member UncommonPosts: 2

Mounts would be a great money sink and vanity item.  Right now the only vanity item is armor and pets.  I think a Charr giving a piggy-back ride to an Asura would be fun.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611
    Originally posted by deviliscious

Of course this is a matter of opinion.. they have never done anything for me perosnally... nope , nothing but an annoyance .. LOL can;t tell ya why I don;t like them, I just never have. I hate pets in game and summoned creatures as well, but maybe that is because I really do not like NPC's at all, I would rather have everyone in the game actual players, and only train on other players .. but that is just my opinion as well.

If they ever did add them, I would hope they would be a completely optional accessory, that I am not required to use and do not give an advantage in game simply because I would not want to be " forced " to use something that ia an annoyance to me. LOL I would like to keep the ability to "opt out" of mounts usage and still be able to enjoy the game.

Mounts would be ok but not needed in this type game. Besides it F2p. Mounts I think not.

• 1niceone11niceone1 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Lathander81

Mounts would be ok but not needed in this type game. Besides it F2p. Mounts I think not.

What on earth has being f2p got anything to do with having mounts, and what kind of game type are you talking about? The game is not yet released...how could you possibly know that "mounts are not needed".

I think that, if implemented appropriately, mounts would add much to immersion and general fun.

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by 1niceone1

Originally posted by Lathander81

What on earth has being f2p got anything to do with having mounts, and what kind of game type are you talking about? The game is not yet released...how could you possibly know that "mounts are not needed".

I think that, if implemented appropriately, mounts would add much to immersion and general fun.

I agree, mounts are just fun and another part of travel. I'm sure they will have other ways of quick travel, so if you don't like mounts, no worries, don't use them.

MMOs' need time and money sinks like mounts, prestige armor, etc, to keep players striving for something, without them ppl get bored.

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212

I've got to say one of the things I hated about GW1 was running. The game was ruined because people would run for cash. Of course this does not apply to GW2 since GW2 is a persistent world. Mounts offer a lot of things to a persistent world. Yeah they're a money sink, but nearly anyone, even casuals, can get them without much care. People who ussually dislike mounts because they're a money sink are ussually just lazy. I definitly would like a mount in GW2, but if there aren't any I'm still ok with that. My opinion on GW and A-Net has always been this, GW isn't the best game out there by far, but it is stil Guild Wars and I will always love it for that.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

They should definitely keep the same travel system as in GW2 as it's just great... In another generic MMO such as say WoW (that was unexpected) just helping someone out with a few quests meant first considering the cost, "is it worth that much?", and then the time to actually get there, "do I have 2 more hours?", which meant that something small became something huge. Not to mention when you tried to get a group together, and you had to wait for hours - literally - for people to even get to the damn place. In Guild Wars on the other hand I can get a request from someone to come and help me and then I'll be there in no time and won't have to deal with the extreme boredom and tediousness that is traveling.

Now this does of course not necessarily mean that there shouldn't be mounts in the game, but mounts can never replace that travel system. Personally I lean towards not implementing them because (1) I'm a conservative GW player who want GW2 to still have a feeling of Guild Wars, (2) mounts usually make you feel more restricted, why can you never fight while on top on one? In the end though I don't really feel that this is a big deal.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Godliest

...(2) mounts usually make you feel more restricted, why can you never fight while on top on one?

Junduu Worms and Siege Devourers.

With easy access to Asura gates and whatever other teleport options may be offered, implementing mounts because ppl are used to having them in other games is just plain stupid. If they end up having the same functionality as they did in GW1 - you can fight on them, but your own skill bar is replaced with a pre-set one for the mount - would work quite well in the GW2 context.

The only problem is that GW1 players aren't super fond of them. The Junduu areas are a  pain in the ass /w the switching back and forth, I can see why they wouldn't be too popular, but the Siege Devourers  are incredibly powerful, easy to use, and a huge help to the team, and we still end up fighting over who gets the devourer-bitch seat because people prefer their own skill bars.

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93

maybe if they put mounts in, they could add mounted combat? Im pretty sure i remember hearing that skills would be carried out differently if someone jumped and hit a skill vrs. standing still and hitting the same skill. You'd get different results from that skill, so maybe that could be so with mounts. I wouldn't mind mounted combat honestly :) might make it easier to kite for range focused classes though...

Edit: and i just noticed the last two topics covered mounted fighting. But, Mounting the whateveritis changed your skill bar completely. It prolly would have a less restricted feel if you could mount your mount and still use your own skills. thats what I would like mounts to be.

but talking about mounts without mounted combat, I'm fine with GW2 not having mounts. I think it would add a little bit more to traveling to have to walk it instead of fly through the scenery and the badies. In GW1 you usually had to fight your way to a certain boss deep within the instance and I liked that.

Whatever happens is fine by me though! wont complain if there are mounts or not.

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Xyfire1

No, I am not asking for a WoW clone. I just figure, since it's an open environment, that there will be some sort of player-controlled transportation. (other than running, lulz)
    What do you think?
    Dragons for sure. ArenaNet is badass like that. Do you think they will allow flight? Also badass.

Once again, just because WoW has done it, doesn't mean that, if it's in another game, it a clone. I do commend ArenaNet for original creatures.

Not sure why you even created this thread, seeing as though its been said already theres going to be instant travel and warp portals, thus no mounts. Disappointing but never mind.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!