Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Predict the future of console gaming

CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

I thought this thread could be used to share ideas and thoughts about the future of console gaming.

Many have already doomed the consoles and are saying that they are gone within ten years. Others are saying it will survive but in other forms. Perhaps the console, as we know it, will be merged with a PC and become more of a HTPC with gaming capabilites.

Companies like Sony and Microsoft have invested huge amount of money in their current consoles, what should they do in order to adapt? Is downloadable or streaming content the way to go?

And what about Nintendo? They seem to manage quite well, don't they?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

The future is downloadable and subscription based. Expect the next generation of consoles to be integrated into cable boxes and cell phones with the games deliverd through download on a Pay per play basis.

Sony has actually had this in mind for awhile.

And everytime Nintendo puts out a new handheld you get the cell phone rumors....

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Perhaps something like this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onlive

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• trev9999trev9999 Member Posts: 199

I just use the console for racers and fighting that's it and the really big rated games that are exclusive.

CURRENTLY PLAYING SHAIYA

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Caldicot

Perhaps something like this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onlive

The reality of that is a long way off. Onlive is not going to perform as advertised and that's a fact. The entire concept is just to bandwidth intensive and too expensive on the back end.

Seriously, if they have video compression technology that is that good, then why are they using it for games? There are much more lucrative applications for that kind of technology.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

Aside from downloadable games, we might see innovative gameplay like the Wii did, as we can see microsoft and sony are also developing the motion sensor style of gameplay. Maybe a couple of years we will playing thru brainwaves.

And also portable gaming might become much popular

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

i cant see consoles dying.. theres way to much money that comes from software sells and stuff like that. games like halo 3 bring in that much money on the first day. i really dont think they would make as much money doing downloadable games and subscriptions cause alot of people dont play there consoles online to begin with.

gamertag - Swaffle House

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

well we can still say that console gaming is still alive and kicking, most popular games came from consoles, and without consoles..gaming would never be the same as we see today

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Once more popular mmos get on the console , sales will go up tremendously.  Consoles will be the future of mmos.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

In the "Console + keyboard =? PC death" and "PC Gaming is cheap" threads I've repeated the different theories others have in the industry, press, and gamers.

I'll add that things may be changing if the economy doesn't recover. Perhaps I'm beginning to believe consoles may be moving even more forward. (At least in America)

If my family member is right Wal-Mart will be removing PC Games from at least one of their stores in making extra room for consoles.

It happened before to a Barnes and Noble store when I used to live in Louisiana.

I think if prices increase further, dev costs are supposed to double in next-gen estimates, then gaming may be in trouble during these hard economic times.

(I read the double cost estimate in a recent issue of Xbox Official Magazine)

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well I always been solely a pc user for most of my gaming time until this year because mmos have been pretty pitiful these days. I went out and bought be a Xbox 360 pro and gaming has been pretty awesome.

1. The controller isn't as difficult to use as some pc users make it out to be.

2. You do not need a keyboard to play a mmo. Xbox live uses the party option where all is required to talk to people is a set of headphones. I don't know what the ps3 uses for voice chat because I do not own one.

3. The pc has greater graphics capability but gaming on a console using a HDTV is just pretty awesome too.

4. All consoles need is a bigger hard drive so that it can keep up with updates.

5. Games for a console are specifically designed around the capability of a console so system requirements are never a concern.

6. I can trade my old cosnole games in to buy newer games. I may not get all my money back but atleast I get something toward a new game when I trade it in. You can't do this with pc games, once you a buy a pc game that is it, no refunds. You can even trade in your current console to gain credit towards a new one, you can't do this with a pc!

7. Consoles are much lighter on the pocket compared to a pc. You buy a console today you will not need to buy a new one until maybe another 6-7 years, unless it breaks. PC technology moves way too fast. if you buy a pc tpday you may need to buy a new one 3-4 years later because the pc may not meet the games system requirements. For the average user who has no idea how to build a pc, it may cost them well over $1,500.00 over the next 4 years just for pc needs.

Other than the graphics capabilty of a pc, there is so much more upside for gaming on a console than a pc and I been playing games on a pc since I was in my early 20's.

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

They'll have to keep up compatibility with the console company's firmware updates as well.

Either way you'll have no argument from me except that I want neither to do be overly dominant like I've repeated in the past threads linked.

Free market competition all around keeping one standard forming at bay and hopefully prices down.

I have a PC of course, Xbox360, Wii, and a PS2 that I play.

On the PS3 my family member has that. While I only occasionally play it I'm unsure if it comes with a headset. I do know he bought Warhawk and received a headset.

So the PS3 can use voice communication.

Agree with you on the controller as Xbox's/Xbox360's/Microsoft's/Bungie's Halo and the Wii demonstrated that first person shooters can be presented greatly on consoles.

If one genre can be overcome then another can be. Anyway Final Fantasy XI made it to the PS2 and Xbox360. So it's already stepped into the MMO genre.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth