Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Had fun. But overall its not a very good game, my review...

wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg)

Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game

Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer

Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures?

Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that

PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless

Fear that the game wont last and the servers will be shut down.

Im going to play Earth Rise

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by wolf11223

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg) -- Apparently MMOFPS isnt your thing.
    Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game -- The graphics are pretty similiar styles of SWG and Vanguard in a PA setting.
    Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer -- Games are what you make of it.
    Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures? -- Did you every think that maybe horses have a immunity to the Virus?
    Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that -- Its the journey in the game and not to race to level cap. I know you wont watch it, but here is a link in which they talk about what to expect in every sector.
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/126/view/videos/play/1450/E3-Video.html
    PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless -- Watch that link I just posted, this answers this question as well.
    Fear that the game wont last and the servers will be shut down. -- Your entitled to your opinion.
    Im going to play Earth Rise -- The familiar phase.. The grass is greener on the other side.

With all do respect, the game just is'nt for you wolf11223.

You sound to me you like the theme park MMORPGS out there which you need to reach level cap in 1 month. This isnt that type of mmorpg, if you would have read more information on the game you could have saved yourself some time.. Its more of a sandbox style of gaming than anything else.

You mentioned Earth Rise, yep that game looks promising as well, I cant wait! Anything is better than the Fantasy stuff we got going here.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i am going to have to agree with the op on a few points.

The combat is god aweful, and the controls are little clumsy.

Weapon imbalances are pretty big, especially between ranged and melee. 

The graphics though i think are "all right" (did not like the character models though the environment is very nice), though they are a system hog, and it doesnt look like it should be that huge of a system drain, yet it is.

The game is still littered with bugs and issues with getting stuck in the environment are still pretty big.

I am definitely going to wait, cause this game is definitely being rushed into released.

In before the "this game is not for you" since i am a SWG player since closed beta of SWG up to last year.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by miagisan

i am going to have to agree with the op on a few points.
    The combat is god aweful, and the controls are little clumsy.
    Weapon imbalances are pretty big, especially between ranged and melee. 
    The graphics though i think are "all right" (did not like the character models though the environment is very nice), though they are a system hog, and it doesnt look like it should be that huge of a system drain, yet it is.
    The game is still littered with bugs and issues with getting stuck in the environment are still pretty big.

I am definitely going to wait, cause this game is definitely being rushed into released.

In before the "this game is not for you" since i am a SWG player since closed beta of SWG up to last year.

Well, in all truth, this game isn't for you. TOR is more your cup of tea if I remember correctly. Anyway, I find the combat and controls just fine. Ranged combat vs melee is logical to me. If you can shoot straight melee fighters will have to rush you in masse. If they get to you, you suffer so much in penalties vs the melee player that they'll finish you fast.

As for having bugs and being rushed, what MMO hasn't been in the last 5 years or so? That doesn't make it right, but it also isn't a unique flag that can be pinned to this game.

*shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

I beta'd this game as well, and I have beta'd over 2 dozen (probably even more than that) MMOs in the last decade and Fallen Earth stands out as one of the LEAST polished MMOs I've ever played...at least when you consider it will be going live in two weeks.  There simply isn't enough content options for the masses...I'm sure that post-apocalyptic lovers will enjoy the setting and some of the game mechanics, but the physics engine, monotonous and repetitive combat, and simple lack of "reasons" to make me go out and do things, make this game a fail in my book.

If it wasn't pay to play it might have a chance....but it is, so it doesn't.  I doubt this game will have servers running by Christmas...considering the popularity of Aion and Champions which it has to compete with in September and through the fall.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I cant wait to try FE. 

How much "sandbox" is it? I have gotten the feeling its my next Pre-Cu SWG!

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg)  You Obviously didn't play past level 5.  Get a sniper rifle and get back to me.
    Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game It does have higher requirement, and the draw distance is fantastic.
    Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer Forever?  Again, you didn't get past level 5, I can easily knock out a level or two in a four hour play period between 10-20, if that is my goal.
    Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures? READ THE LORE! The Shiv virus did not affect animals.
    Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that Again, thats an opinion.
    PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless And what game has pvp that isn't other than a select few?  Faction controlled towns later on already ingame will have an effect once people get up there.
    Fear that the game wont last and the servers will be shut down. Indie developer, not a chance
    Im going to play Earth Rise We'll see, it looks hopeful but I am willing to bet they cool it down on the pvp focus some.

Originally posted by darksider27

I beta'd this game as well, and I have beta'd over 2 dozen (probably even more than that) MMOs in the last decade and Fallen Earth stands out as one of the LEAST polished MMOs I've ever played...at least when you consider it will be going live in two weeks.  There simply isn't enough content options for the masses...I'm sure that post-apocalyptic lovers will enjoy the setting and some of the game mechanics, but the physics engine, monotonous and repetitive combat, and simple lack of "reasons" to make me go out and do things, make this game a fail in my book.

If it wasn't pay to play it might have a chance....but it is, so it doesn't.  I doubt this game will have servers running by Christmas...considering the popularity of Aion and Champions which it has to compete with in September and through the fall.

Heh, well, considering it wasn't designed to be a "grab for the masses" game (the devs acknowledge this) and that it's intent is not to "compete with Champions and Aion" (not that either of those two games are flawless at the moment), I'd have to bet against your Christmas remark.

There is a reason to go out and do things: improving your lot in in-game life. On the bright side, you always have CO and Aion!

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg) -- Apparently MMOFPS isnt your thing.
    Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game -- The graphics are pretty similiar styles of SWG and Vanguard in a PA setting.
    Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer -- Games are what you make of it.
    Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures? -- Did you every think that maybe horses have a immunity to the Virus?
    Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that -- Its the journey in the game and not to race to level cap. I know you wont watch it, but here is a link in which they talk about what to expect in every sector.
    PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless -- Watch that link I just posted, this answers this question as well.
    Fear that the game wont last and the servers will be shut down. -- Your entitled to your opinion.
    Im going to play Earth Rise -- The familiar phase.. The grass is greener on the other side.

You sound to me you like the theme park MMORPGS out there which you need to reach level cap in 1 month. This isnt that type of mmorpg, if you would have read more information on the game you could have saved yourself some time.. Its more of a sandbox style of gaming than anything else.

You mentioned Earth Rise, yep that game looks promising as well, I cant wait! Anything is better than the Fantasy stuff we got going here.

Actuallly OP is pretty spot on regarding combat and graphics, its not a matter of saying "this games not for you" were not talking about Hello Kitty verses AOC. The combat is clunky and unresponsive. Graphics arn't everything but you have no idea what your talking about comparing SWG and Vangaurd then this game? SWG looks like PONG Vanguard is for the most part stunning, this thing lands somewhere in the middle. But It just moves wrong, I dont know how to say it, everything just feels wrong, character movement, combat, NPC interaction etc. Its a good start but needs another year at least before release.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Agree, not for everybody, hence why most MMOs are turn based
    lol did you just make a comparison with a game released in 2003 to make your point lol, I think you did.
    And most gamers are casual gamers who don't spend day and night playing games while poping redbulls and stealing their wi-fi connection from the neighbors because they don't have job to pay for their own.
    Just Horses? that explains it...not. maybe in fairytale land, like this game.
    Well who wants to hang out on the brown one with doggy doo-doo?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

I will get back with you around Christmas , I will take this bet as well.

Aion and Champions, no comparison. 2 totally different style of mmo's

Aion = WoW and many other players that love the saturated theme park mmo's.

Champions = CoX players that want to play what City of Heroes was suppose to be.

Yeah, I think there is room for a Fallen Earth player base, which include AO, SWG, DF and Eve players (not all but some).

And plus the people that are looking for a different Sandbox type mmorpg, cause there isnt many out there at this point.

PS. I am glad its going to be P2P, just to keep the freeloaders out and the serious players in.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by alderdale

Actuallly OP is pretty spot on regarding combat and graphics, its not a matter of saying "this games not for you" were not talking about Hello Kitty verses AOC. The combat is clunky and unresponsive. Graphics arn't everything but you have no idea what your talking about comparing SWG and Vangaurd then this game? SWG looks like PONG Vanguard is for the most part stunning, this thing lands somewhere in the middle. But It just moves wrong, I dont know how to say it, everything just feels wrong, character movement, combat, NPC interaction etc. Its a good start but needs another year at least before release.

I have to disagree, really. While the combat isn't like your traditional MMO where all you do is face your target and hit buttons, this one you have to keep your target in the crosshairs. I would hazard to say that people simply aren't used to this style of combat rather than it is 'crude' or 'clunky', as I felt that it worked rather well. And 'different' is not 'wrong'.

As for the arguments of melee vs. ranged, this is coming from people who didn't go very far in the game. Melee is very effective against PvE and generally can be thought of as the tank. As a melee, I can take on groups of guys and not have a problem. Rifles and pistols are a bit more fragile and generally will have trouble with multiple mobs. But as you go further into the game, S2 and S3, their effectiveness and damage output changes dramatically, especially when you factor in the next set of skills that everyone gets. So it would be more accurate to say that melee is more powerful in the beginning, but that advantage disappears when you get into S2 and S3.

As far as the game itself goes, it's alright. I have been playing games since Meridian 59 and EQ was the game that had the 'wow' factor to me. I find WoW to be too cartoony and easy, Eve never really grabbed my eye, AoC....yeah...., Warhammer was good, but the lack of cohesive population killed it for me, as well as the bugs with RvR and such. I played Perfect World for a while recently and Runes of Magic, both of which are good for free to play games, but they just lack the spark to keep me interested. Fallen Earth looks like more of the same. Sure, it's set in a post-apocalyptic world and it's got some neat features and a deep crafting system, but it's got a small core of quests that it just rehashes, so you spend a lot of time travelling. It's no wonder they gave a horse away for preordering. I did pre-order the game and will give it a month to see if it can grab my interest more fully.

Originally posted by daarco

I cant wait to try FE. 
    How much "sandbox" is it? I have gotten the feeling its my next Pre-Cu SWG!

Not THAT much sandbox.  I doubt you'll see any random villages in the landscape of FE shaped like a penis.  Anyone have a screen of that in Galaxies?

I <3 Steam =D

Originally posted by tillamook

And your point is? It should be part of the saturated mmo family that we got now?
    lol did you just make a comparison with a game released in 2003 to make your point lol, I think you did.
    No need to justify myself here. SWG graphics have improved through the years and so has Vanguard, however, no need to debate with you on this one. People have different taste. I rather enjoy better gameplay over graphics anyways, but thats just me.
    And most gamers are casual gamers who don't spend day and night playing games while poping redbulls and stealing their wi-fi connection from the neighbors because they don't have job to pay for their own.
    Huh? Spoken like someone from experience?
    Far from a Fantasy style game..
    Ok, you lost me here..

Tillamook, I am not going to justify this game because you dislike it, but hey, its all good, your entitled to your opinion as well.

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

And your point is? It should be part of the saturated mmo family that we got now?
    No need to justify myself here. SWG graphics have improved through the years and so has Vanguard, however, no need to debate with you on this one. People have different taste. I rather enjoy better gameplay over graphics anyways, but thats just me.
    Ok, you lost me here..

I dont need a game where I lvl to cap in a month. Im a casual MMOer to an extent(college, girlfriend, full time job etc) and in a game where they add onto the cap lvl every 3-4 months until they reach 150? Yeah im probably never going to even hit the cap then.... And when I said that the ranged combat is garbage its because it is. I shouldnt have said it doesnt do enough damage. More so I just feel like its stupid because I was fighting guys from 5 feet away with a crossbow.... Jut felt stupid not to play melee. And honestly ER looks very promising and a game that really fits my gaming style. And ill prob play SWTOR when that comes out(depends on how linear it is) Im just really tired of all these fantasy MMOs.. gime a big gun and a big year 3000 looking armor set and ill be happy XD. ER just looks perfect. 

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156

To be honest, I think giving this game 03' era in graphics is being a little too generous, it most closely resembles half life 1 released in 1998 , but with much higher system requirements. The combat and UI are both clunky and the physics are just plain awful. Also when I tested it , it was also quite laggy, not computer lag, but server lag, motorcycles driving by looked like a slideshow and when you shot a monster, it stood there for a few seconds, then was almost on top of you after it teleported.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg) - Personal opinion, i found it responsive and being a RPG, damage scales with the guns used.
    Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game - Graphic style is that of Halflife 2. Now, make Halflife 2 a MMO with thousands of other players and a seamless huge world with a high draw distance.
    Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer - There are only 45 levels in the game, levels dont relly mean much but equipment use. Skills and trade skills are expansive in number and the skills go well over 100 points + if you choose to invest.
    Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures? - Not sure how you got that they were not.
    Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that - Welcome to MMO's?
    PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless - Your wrong. Please get out of Sector one.

As far as the Halflife one reference. Please stop talking. Its closer to Half life two to everyone that has a lick of sense.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

And when I said that the ranged combat is garbage its because it is. I shouldnt have said it doesnt do enough damage. More so I just feel like its stupid because I was fighting guys from 5 feet away with a crossbow.... Jut felt stupid not to play melee.

Again, you were not high enough level to actually judge ranged combat.  A rifle has 70m range.  I have sat and gunned down mobs that do not even get within 30m of me slightly above my level.  Your judging the crossbow.  Most games starting out ranged is tough, as you rarely can shoot them down before they get to you.

With  high powered rifle you WILL NOT GET HIT IN MELEE UNLESS YOU SUCK! (or its a melee boss mob) Not to mention once you get to sector 2, guns are a lot more common for opposition.

• beauxajbeauxaj Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by kilun

And when I said that the ranged combat is garbage its because it is. I shouldnt have said it doesnt do enough damage. More so I just feel like its stupid because I was fighting guys from 5 feet away with a crossbow.... Jut felt stupid not to play melee.

Again, you were not high enough level to actually judge ranged combat.  A rifle has 70m range.  I have sat and gunned down mobs that do not even get within 30m of me slightly above my level.  Your judging the crossbow.  Most games starting out ranged is tough, as you rarely can shoot them down before they get to you.

With  high powered rifle you WILL NOT GET HIT IN MELEE UNLESS YOU SUCK! (or its a melee boss mob) Not to mention once you get to sector 2, guns are a lot more common for opposition.

After playing it myself I have to agree, there is a huge difference between using the Crossbow and an actual rifle.  There is a big difference between the Zip guns and actual guns. Weapons are important in this game.  As for clunky, I really think the controls are spot on.  I can't tell you how many times I was using that stupid crossbow and just as I fired the damn zombie type would be at that lurching spot in thier walk and I'd see a puff of dirt from the bolt missing them....  Its not  auto aim. you HAVE to stay on target.  If he's 5 feet away, whip out your melee weapons... you can carry both, and using them gives you a bonus to your defense most of the time.

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Ranged combat is awful(doesnt do enough dmg) - Personal opinion, i found it responsive and being a RPG, damage scales with the guns used.
    Graphics suck(game looks like it was made in 03) yet the system requirements are that high? My friends cant even run the stupid game - Graphic style is that of Halflife 2. Now, make Halflife 2 a MMO with thousands of other players and a seamless huge world with a high draw distance.
    Takes FOREVER to lvl. Not a game for a casual MMOer - There are only 45 levels in the game, levels dont relly mean much but equipment use. Skills and trade skills are expansive in number and the skills go well over 100 points + if you choose to invest.
    Horses? WTF If theres a virus going around how are horses not infected like all the other living creatures? - Not sure how you got that they were not.
    Feels pointless to play. Takes forever to lvl to 45 and they plan to add 10 lvls every 3-4 months until they hit lvl 150? Yeah have fun with that - Welcome to MMO's?
    PVP is only in specific areas and its pointless - Your wrong. Please get out of Sector one.

As far as the Halflife one reference. Please stop talking. Its closer to Half life two to everyone that has a lick of sense.

Lol, you almost got me there, when I saw the first screenshot I thought "Maybe I just saw the ugly areas of FE" then I realized it was a HL2 screenshot. LOL.

These 2 screenshots don't even compare, half life 2 has better vegetation, better ground textures, more realistic looking buildings, you basically put the nail in the coffin of your own arguement.

Ok, you lost me here..

Tillamook, I am not going to justify this game because you dislike it, but hey, its all good, your entitled to your opinion as well.

Tillamook is just upset because some forum goers are going over to his much adored TOR forums and bashing it. I guess he finally broke and came down to their level, lol. He's actually a good guy, honest.

Chavez y Chavez

Not trying to derail the thread, but the HL2 screenshot has brought up a thought...how come we don't see any mmos using the source engine...sure, its really more catered towards fps games...but thats fine with me, we need an mmofps.

Seems like every game and its mother is using a modded version of the unreal engine.  Yawn.

I <3 Steam =D

• NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

I've been playing DarkFall beta for about three months and today I removed it from my pc I've decided I will not be playing this mmo. There are alot of things I like about Darkfall but theres a greater amount of things thats just basement like design that I don't like.

Originally posted by Nicrox

I've been playing DarkFall beta for about three months and today I removed it from my pc I've decided I will not be playing this mmo. There are alot of things I like about Darkfall but theres a greater amount of things thats just basement like design that I don't like.

Huh? Darkfall forum is that way...---------->

Chavez y Chavez

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I really don't get why people keep saying this is a sandbox.

I guess probably because they haven't implemented many theme park elements.

---

When I left leveling was not slow. You could get to 45 in  a week. There was a chunk

around 40ish that was slow due to a gap in quests, but other than that...fast leveling.

Although I agree, it's not designed for a casual gamer from what I can tell.

---

PvP isn't exactly pointless, but it's not central, and to many that seems like a flaw.

---

Games each have their own "success" point in which they are making more than

they spent. I am guessing since they are using an engine developed for other stuff

this success point is rather minimal. That being said, I think it can survive for quite

awhile with a smaller player base.

Not trying to derail the thread, but the HL2 screenshot has brought up a thought...how come we don't see any mmos using the source engine...sure, its really more catered towards fps games...but thats fine with me, we need an mmofps.
    Seems like every game and its mother is using a modded version of the unreal engine.  Yawn.

Icarus Studios built their own game engine from scratch.

www.icarusstudios.com