Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sure, Batman can lift a car right?

2»

Comments

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Modern Batman might be able to lift a car, but old spandex suit and cape batman probably not.

POW!!

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by ILty-Cat

Oh my god. What's with you people assuming and then bashing things because you assumed?

If you LISTEN to the vids. They say the reason they can jump 400 feet or whatever in the air is because they chose to have acrobat powers and such. :/
    I'm pretty sure that lifting a car is also a power choice.
    Also, They are going offa the COMICS for batman and them not the shows. Go read all the comics and make sure that batman's suit doesn't give him extra strength in the comics before you run around bashing things. <3

Gosh..

Have you even read a Batman comic?

First of all, Batman is top trained in gymnastics, weight training, science and chemistry, a hundred different styles of martial arts, and acrobatics. Yet he sure don't jump 400 feet in the air.

And his suit does NOT give added strength or any other bonus to his physical attributes. Batman is an ideal specimen of human ability. If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds. He doesn't wear armor, unlike the movies where they use guys like Michael keaton and Christian Bale who most definitely do not have the bulk or capabilities of the Batman. Could you imagine putting Bale or Keaton in a skin tight Batman outfit? They'd never measure up as a "believeable" Batman, so they get padded armor to make up for it. And still don't match what he looks like in the comics.

If you want to see a real example of what Batman is represented on film, then watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w I'ts a 15 minute fan film called "Batman: Dead End", based on the Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator storyline from a few years back. Not only does it show the Batman just as he is in the comics, but is the best representation of him on film I've ever seen.

It's pretty clear you don't read the comics. Batman's "normal suit" is made of a new age type of Kelvar that WayneTech made. It isn't cloth. It hasn't been cloth in nearly 30 years. Even when it WAS cloth he still had the chest area armored.

And Batman DOES have super suits, he just doesn't like using them since he relies on fear over raw power and he would trade that fear if he was just another guy in a power suit like Steel/Iron Man/etc. Besides the Batman Beyond suit came from somewhere.

The Batman Beyond suit? Are you referring to the futuristic one worn by the kid ( which has nothing to do with THE Batman ) or the mechanical one worn by an aged Bruce ( which he created to compensate for reduced strength and agility )? Neither one have anything to do with modern day Batman.

And the only real "power suit" used by "Batman" was the suit created and used by Jean Paul Valley ( Azrael ) when he claimed the mantle of the bat after Bane broke Bruce/Batman's spine. Bruce himself despised the suit ( especially the fact it was built for mayhem and destruction, not protection ) and rightly ridiculed Jean Paul for wearing it. There have been a few occasions when Batman has augmented himself with an exoskeleton when faced with a truly powerful super vllian, but those times are few and far between. Hell, he even defeated Superman without any power armor.

As for the "kevlar" in his cloth suit, did you notice I said "If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds."? The kevlar ( which the main "advancement" over normal real life kevlar was the fact of it's malleability and light weight ) protects him from lower caliber ammunition including small rifle rounds, but not from large caliber projectiles or sharp objects, keeping in line with real life kevlar limitations as well as keeping him "vulnerable and human" in the readers eyes.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batsuit

I'll highlight the imporant part:

Batman keeps variant costumes for dealing with extraordinary situations; for example, he has been shown in a SCUBA variant of his costume, a fireproof version for fighting his enemy Firefly, a thermal insulated version for fighting Mister Freeze, as well as others. Many versions of the hero, including those shown in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, Batman Beyond and Batman versus Predator, show him swapping his cloth costume for a suit of powered armor.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Oh my god. What's with you people assuming and then bashing things because you assumed?

If you LISTEN to the vids. They say the reason they can jump 400 feet or whatever in the air is because they chose to have acrobat powers and such. :/
    Also, They are going offa the COMICS for batman and them not the shows. Go read all the comics and make sure that batman's suit doesn't give him extra strength in the comics before you run around bashing things. <3

Gosh..

First of all, Batman is top trained in gymnastics, weight training, science and chemistry, a hundred different styles of martial arts, and acrobatics. Yet he sure don't jump 400 feet in the air.

And his suit does NOT give added strength or any other bonus to his physical attributes. Batman is an ideal specimen of human ability. If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds. He doesn't wear armor, unlike the movies where they use guys like Michael keaton and Christian Bale who most definitely do not have the bulk or capabilities of the Batman. Could you imagine putting Bale or Keaton in a skin tight Batman outfit? They'd never measure up as a "believeable" Batman, so they get padded armor to make up for it. And still don't match what he looks like in the comics.

If you want to see a real example of what Batman is represented on film, then watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w I'ts a 15 minute fan film called "Batman: Dead End", based on the Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator storyline from a few years back. Not only does it show the Batman just as he is in the comics, but is the best representation of him on film I've ever seen.

It's pretty clear you don't read the comics. Batman's "normal suit" is made of a new age type of Kelvar that WayneTech made. It isn't cloth. It hasn't been cloth in nearly 30 years. Even when it WAS cloth he still had the chest area armored.

And Batman DOES have super suits, he just doesn't like using them since he relies on fear over raw power and he would trade that fear if he was just another guy in a power suit like Steel/Iron Man/etc. Besides the Batman Beyond suit came from somewhere.

The Batman Beyond suit? Are you referring to the futuristic one worn by the kid ( which has nothing to do with THE Batman ) or the mechanical one worn by an aged Bruce ( which he created to compensate for reduced strength and agility )? Neither one have anything to do with modern day Batman.

And the only real "power suit" used by "Batman" was the suit created and used by Jean Paul Valley ( Azrael ) when he claimed the mantle of the bat after Bane broke Bruce/Batman's spine. Bruce himself despised the suit ( especially the fact it was built for mayhem and destruction, not protection ) and rightly ridiculed Jean Paul for wearing it. There have been a few occasions when Batman has augmented himself with an exoskeleton when faced with a truly powerful super vllian, but those times are few and far between. Hell, he even defeated Superman without any power armor.

As for the "kevlar" in his cloth suit, did you notice I said "If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds."? The kevlar ( which the main "advancement" over normal real life kevlar was the fact of it's malleability and light weight ) protects him from lower caliber ammunition including small rifle rounds, but not from large caliber projectiles or sharp objects, keeping in line with real life kevlar limitations as well as keeping him "vulnerable and human" in the readers eyes.

Edit:

And I'll break it apart for you:

Batman keeps variant costumes for dealing with extraordinary situations; for example, he has been shown in a SCUBA variant of his costume,

No, he doesn't have a "scuba batsuit", he does however have a rebreather which attaches to the lower part of his mask. The only time you'll find a "bat scuba suit" is the toy aisle.

a fireproof version for fighting his enemy Firefly,

Using a simple flame retardent soaked into the costume, usually his cape. Does not provide any physical attribute bonuses. Can hardly be called "armor".

a thermal insulated version for fighting Mister Freeze,

A suit that works on the same principal as heated undergarments, using filaments to provide heat. Again, provides no physical attribute bonuses. Can hardly be called "armor".

as well as others. Many versions of the hero, including those shown in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns,

Was the Frank Miller graphic novel. Completely outside the "normal" Batman/Bruce Wayne mythos. More of an Elseworlds storyline. Also involved a 60ish Bruce Wayne/Batman well past his prime and requireing assistance.

Kingdom Come,

Refers to the armor worn by Jean Paul Valley as Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

Batman Beyond

Again, unless DCU takes place in the future with the "future" kid Batman or the 60 year old Bruce Wayne in the mechanical suit, irrelevent to our discussion.

and Batman versus Predator, show him swapping his cloth costume for a suit of powered armor.

This was one of those "few and far between" moments I mentioned earlier. It was an exoskeleton Bruce used because he was still injured from fighting the Predator and was also blinded. The exoskeleton did slightly enhance his strength to compensate for his weakened condition but was nowhere enough for him to "throw a car". It's main feature was a sonar built in to allow Bruce to "see" while blinded, as well as to "see" the Predator when it cloaked.

Personally, I think the biggest problem DCU has regarding Batman is that he has just been killed by Darkseid. Nothing but a pile of bones in a grave now. So unless they can bring him back somehow fairly soon ,DCU is already non-congruent with the Batman story.

• grim_skunkgrim_skunk Member UncommonPosts: 26

Gosh..

Edit:

Batman keeps variant costumes for dealing with extraordinary situations; for example, he has been shown in a SCUBA variant of his costume, a fireproof version for fighting his enemy Firefly, a thermal insulated version for fighting Mister Freeze, as well as others. Many versions of the hero, including those shown in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, Batman Beyond and Batman versus Predator, show him swapping his cloth costume for a suit of powered armor.

Probably not the best idea using wikipedia to prove a point, considering it can be edited and written by anyone. I have come across some articles written that are completely incorrect.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Gosh..

Edit:

And I'll break it apart for you:

Batman keeps variant costumes for dealing with extraordinary situations; for example, he has been shown in a SCUBA variant of his costume,

No, he doesn't have a "scuba batsuit", he does however have a rebreather which attaches to the lower part of his mask. The only time you'll find a "bat scuba suit" is the toy aisle.

a fireproof version for fighting his enemy Firefly,

Using a simple flame retardent soaked into the costume, usually his cape. Does not provide any physical attribute bonuses. Can hardly be called "armor".

a thermal insulated version for fighting Mister Freeze,

A suit that works on the same principal as heated undergarments, using filaments to provide heat. Again, provides no physical attribute bonuses. Can hardly be called "armor".

as well as others. Many versions of the hero, including those shown in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns,

Was the Frank Miller graphic novel. Completely outside the "normal" Batman/Bruce Wayne mythos. More of an Elseworlds storyline. Also involved a 60ish Bruce Wayne/Batman well past his prime and requireing assistance.

Kingdom Come,

Refers to the armor worn by Jean Paul Valley as Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

Batman Beyond

Again, unless DCU takes place in the future with the "future" kid Batman or the 60 year old Bruce Wayne in the mechanical suit, irrelevent to our discussion.

and Batman versus Predator, show him swapping his cloth costume for a suit of powered armor.

This was one of those "few and far between" moments I mentioned earlier. It was an exoskeleton Bruce used because he was still injured from fighting the Predator and was also blinded. The exoskeleton did slightly enhance his strength to compensate for his weakened condition but was nowhere enough for him to "throw a car". It's main feature was a sonar built in to allow Bruce to "see" while blinded, as well as to "see" the Predator when it cloaked.

Personally, I think the biggest problem DCU has regarding Batman is that he has just been killed by Darkseid. Nothing but a pile of bones in a grave now. So unless they can bring him back somehow fairly soon ,DCU is already non-congruent with the Batman story.

In batman beyond he had a number of suits, in the first episode it basically shows bruce as a much younger man wearing a variant of the bat suit that did increase his strength.. as well as a number of other suits in the batcave.  As for batman really being dead... c'mon now, if theres any variant that would throw off every other batman related avenue DCs ever gone down, it would be to kill off batman, and have him stay dead.

Not to mention, in the Justice League Unlimited  episode when Terry finds out he is actually the son of bruce, they talked about how they've kept a portion of Bruces DNA so "the world will always have a batman".  .. .  yes I do watch cartoons often.... no.. I am not 8 years old....

• MirrorMasterMirrorMaster Member Posts: 11

Maybe they wanted Batman to have super strength so he can finally get down with Wonder Woman after all the years of sexual tension. :p Without it Princess Diana would break his junk in half!