Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, all the kids will roll jedi...

13»

Comments

• sigamonsigamon Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

I am predicting that the larger part of the younger population will choose to be repulblic and will roll jedi since jedi are cool and most kids prefer to be good. As a result, the sith empire will be composed of maturer players and have a lower population.
    This was quite apparent in WoW, pre BC. Every one rolled Human Paladins and NE hunters and the alliance on most realms had a higher population the horde.
    Unless they add a sort of vigilante perspective to the sith (ie, a firm reason why their cause is just) the game will always have a serious faction balance issue...

not intirely, the little kids might roll jedi, but you forget about the pissed off hormone imbalanced teenagers.  these are the ones that make every game full of fun times. and the majority of angry teens roll evilside so they can quench their bloodthirsty psychopathic thirst.  so expect a shit ton of sith.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Griefers are generally more mature, but you are right, many of them have socio/psychopatic tendensies. Kids might annoy you for a bit, like spam duel request, but generally they are harmless...unless you are unfortunate enought to have them in a same guild.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120

EEENNNNNHHHHH

Wrong answer. If anything you will find that the Sith force classes will have a far larger population than the Jedi at launch.

Not only was one of the main appeals of the KoToR games the darkside quest lines, but if other MMOs are any indicator (like WAR at launch) all the kiddies (not just kiddies I realize) will think that the Sith just look cooler.

And I confess, I'll probably be one of them.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by sigamon

I am predicting that the larger part of the younger population will choose to be repulblic and will roll jedi since jedi are cool and most kids prefer to be good. As a result, the sith empire will be composed of maturer players and have a lower population.
    This was quite apparent in WoW, pre BC. Every one rolled Human Paladins and NE hunters and the alliance on most realms had a higher population the horde.
    Unless they add a sort of vigilante perspective to the sith (ie, a firm reason why their cause is just) the game will always have a serious faction balance issue...

not intirely, the little kids might roll jedi, but you forget about the pissed off hormone imbalanced teenagers.  these are the ones that make every game full of fun times. and the majority of angry teens roll evilside so they can quench their bloodthirsty psychopathic thirst.  so expect a shit ton of sith.

Ah, that was my mistake in taking issue his post. When he said 'kids,' I assumed he was including teenagers, which is why I got such a kick out of the notion of them preferring to be 'good.'

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by Mazin

There might be something to what your saying.  It's common knowledge that Horde, in WoW, was the more mature faction at least in vanilla.  Even the Horde is full of retards now a days though.

Depends on what server you play on. And the reverse was true in SWG. And most of the kids he's talking about are actually not kids at all, just adults who act like kids.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

I've seen kids and idiots on both sides in just about every game I've played.  If you want to avoid all the stupidity roll on an RP server and pick a server that isn't west coast based.  I don't know why it is; but, every west coast server I've ever played on was  rampant with retardation.  Chances are the lower the server population the better off the community will be.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by wardog250

I've seen kids and idiots on both sides in just about every game I've played.  If you want to avoid all the stupidity roll on an RP server and pick a server that isn't west coast based.  I don't know why it is; but, every west coast server I've ever played on was  rampant with retardation.  Chances are the lower the server population the better off the community will be.

IDK I've played both and it's no different. All MMOs have idiots who spam nonsense in the chat channels, spam you with invites, talk about bullshit like what they did at work, or at school, what they ate for dinner tonight, their fake sex lives, racist comments ect.

VC makes it worse, then you have to listen to their screechy female voices, or squeeky dood voices, dogs barking, eating, farting, burping, their kids screaming, dishes clanking and on and on and on.  If you want to avoid idiots in MMOs either shut off chat, deny invites and turn off names and shut dpwn VC, or just don't play MMOs. And before you ask, yeah I'm easily annoyed by all that I mentioned, but I'm also good at just ignoring people.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

Yay for self elevating topics because people don't play the way you want them to! Yay! You're not kids! Say it loud and proud! Everyone else must be! WOOT HOLLAR LOL ROFL!

In all seriousness, you're idiots.

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

Think the OP is way off.  Comparing WoW to SW is like comparing apples to airplanes (they both start with A but have nothing in common).  WoW and SW are two completely different genres.  SW has an audience that will be tapped the day of release.  A lot of that audience consists of people like me that grew up on Star Wars.  The majority of your Jedi in SWTOR will be 30-40 year olds living out their lightsaber fantasy.  I personally won't be a Jedi with my first toon since I'm a gamer first and fan second.  I would rather see how the bounty hunter class works.  Rockets, flamethrowers, and jetpacks...Oh my!!

I think most of the kids will roll Sith just because they are way cooler to the younger generations.  Even the force powers of the Sith are better (force choke, lightening, etc.).  The Jedi don't have those powers.  Kids take things at face value and fact is the Sith have far surpassed the Jedi in cool points.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by StuBidasoe

Think the OP is way off.  Comparing WoW to SW is like comparing apples to airplanes (they both start with A but have nothing in common).  WoW and SW are two completely different genres.  SW has an audience that will be tapped the day of release.  A lot of that audience consists of people like me that grew up on Star Wars.  The majority of your Jedi in SWTOR will be 30-40 year olds living out their lightsaber fantasy.  I personally won't be a Jedi with my first toon since I'm a gamer first and fan second.  I would rather see how the bounty hunter class works.  Rockets, flamethrowers, and jetpacks...Oh my!!
    I think most of the kids will roll Sith just because they are way cooler to the younger generations.  Even the force powers of the Sith are better (force choke, lightening, etc.).  The Jedi don't have those powers.  Kids take things at face value and fact is the Sith have far surpassed the Jedi in cool points.

its still very early to tell what powers will be available to each class...  remember.. its all about choices.. and powers are supposed to be available upon what choices you make.. so even if you are a jedi but you make bad decisions, then who knows, you may also have lightning and force choke powers available.  

Anyways, I always hate when there is 1 class a certain genre of people flock to, like "kids" and "jedis"  because it really makes me NOT want to roll one on the one hand because they'll be rolled a million times, but on the other hand I feel like I HAVE to roll one because very rarely will they be played seriously.....

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

I do think ToR is making a BAD decicion allowing players to become jedi (dark, light, GREY...whatever type) upon character creation...becoming a jedi should be something you EARN...almost like in galaxies at release...only better than that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by darksider27

I do think ToR is making a BAD decicion allowing players to become jedi (dark, light, GREY...whatever type) upon character creation...becoming a jedi should be something you EARN...almost like in galaxies at release...only better than that.

I disagree. The player earns the right to play whatever he/she wishes on the basis that the player is the one paying the money. When folks like yourself start paying for other people's game time then you can dictate what other players "earn" or have the right to play. Until then the developers of THIS game have decided that players earn the right to be troopers, bounty hunters, smugglers, jedi, sith etc.etc.

This isn't SWG and thank god for that.  This game is set in a time frame when jedi and sith were in abundance so enough with the jedi are special crap.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• darksider27darksider27 Member Posts: 44

There should only be one force-using class available to new characters: force sensitive...which then branches to each of the individual force-using classes before you have spent too much time in game.  

The very real concern is with class balance, and if the kids from wow and the new star wars movement (fanboys of episode 1-3) see someone dual wielding lightsabers they go OMG and its rogues in wow all over again.

Valid point, but if ToR is going to be taken seriously it has to depart from the "theme park mmo" formula and provide an EXPERIENCE.  Kotor and Mass Effect are REAL rpgs, I would pose that hardly any of the "mmorpgs" are actual role playing games...except in the sense that you play a character...which you do in EVERY game.  The role-play aspect of most games is pushed to the side.

In fact, modern mmorpgs should be renamed MMOSBGs (subscriber based games) instead of inacurately tagging them "roleplaying" games.

ToR might ACTUALLY deserve to be called a MMORPG.  And I have the faith in the guys behind it to actually make it happen.

Edit: personally, I was hoping ToR would forsake classes altogether and implement a workable system that allowed for skill advancement without the use of levels, classes, or experience grinds (at least in any traditional sense).  After all, what would stop a force-sensitive individual from forsaking the light side and dark side and becoming a bounty hunter who can use limited force abilities?  In the REAL star wars universe, nothing.  In video games...well...limitations are limitations.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darksider
    I don't use xfire anymore.
    I <3 Steam =D

• TadamitsuTadamitsu Member Posts: 118

wait and see.

I think we will all enjoy multiple sides of this coin.

played:WoW and Eve off and on 5 years
    Tried:CoH/V, PoTBS, War, TR, STO, FE
    TOR is likely to rock