Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Undecided whether to play WoW or not

Hi guys and girls...

I know that i'm posting a lame topic but i really want to hear all those real WoW players feedback on how good this game is compared to other mmorpgs out there. Currently, I'm kinda sceptic about WoW because the models are pretty much from Warcraft 3. Yes, the surroundings and music is great and cool and stuff, if I were to compare this game with the older game from blizzard such as Diablo2, I'm not too keen about it. In WoW, what is the main theme that players go for? hunting good gears? gameplay? just pure pvp? or just another excuse to use bots to do the job? I have 1 or 2 friends currently playing it but from their point of view it's just not enough. I wish that you guys out there can help me out here. Thanks. I really appreciate all the genuine feedbacks thanks.

Comments

• BuZeRBuZeR Member UncommonPosts: 77

Well i dont think you will get much of a responce as theres one new topic asking this same thing every day. Best thing i can tell you is to go read the FAQ and all the other information on the WoW site.

www.worldofwarcraft.com

• ozgamerzozgamerz Member Posts: 138

well thanks buzer, I am still looking for more feedback. It's not easy to spend some $$$ and then finding out that it's really not worth it. It's really rather to get some honest opinion before I make any hasty decisions. Thanks anyway.. hopefully there will be more people to help me out in this matter.....

• chinesewaterboychinesewaterboy Member Posts: 14
    well I started a topic yesterday asking what the economical structure was like and judging from the huge response I got I think the game is more geared toward hunting for loot and just adventuring and less on the economic/crafting/RPing stuff. Maybe an advanced Diablo 2 in the Warcraft 3 universe? Even though I haven't played the game I've been spending alot of time reading up on it being quite skeptical about the depth of this game. It's a good fast paced adventure game but in terms of long term value I can't imagine there being too much to do after you kill the last monster and pick the last loot. I'm gonna try it out anyways though, something to hold me over for a month or two and theres rumor of Blizzard implementing housing and things.

life is like a yo-yo it has its ups and downs, but my yo-yo fell on the ground

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Allow me to say something to you.  I am the best critic of mmorpgs.  I bashed every single mmorpg ever made.  Out of all the mmorpgs released.  I would only want to play 4 and this is one of them.

Edit- Man I was stretching it with 4, especially since I have no interest in paying a monthly fee for 3 of them.  The only thing stopping me from playing Worlds of Warcraft is I have to buy the game, then pay a monthly fee.

Thanks for the feedback guys... I really appreciate it. I'm a graphics person. I liked Lineage2 very much but the grinding and economy of the game really killed my interest. I know that the WOW graphics for the character is really cartoonish, can it really sustain the interest of a person like me when compared to other mmorpgs out there? Gimme a few examples to think about in other mmorpgs that have similar graphics to Lineage2. Thanks again

• jubbincakejubbincake Member Posts: 134

Wow graphics are actually very good. It way mor eunique and colorful than most games out there. You will also find that apon leaving your town you will see heards of animals running around, the game does a really good job in emersing you. The combat is also very fun, you can go solo witht he right combinations fo skills or you can join up with a party. Another highlight of WoW is the PvP. The wars between both factions are awesome, you start a raid of like 100 people and then find they are waiting for you. In example my guild was ambushed and we were forced to scatter, but hen recouped and found ourselved actually using stratedgy to slay the more of the enemy than they have slayed us. I guarentee it will hold your attention longer than any other. But if you like slow leveling and a game that takes 100+ hours of time just to get full enjoyment, play EQ2. (No offense EQ2 guys.)

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by BuZeR

Well i dont think you will get much of a responce as theres one new topic asking this same thing every day. Best thing i can tell you is to go read the FAQ and all the other information on the WoW site.
    www.worldofwarcraft.com

Yep, there's even a thread just a few posts down asking the same thing. Either way I would recomend getting it. Unless you're short on cash there's no reason NOT to get it. If you've done you're research, read reviews and the official site, then you can make up you're own mind on if this game is for you or not. If you're a Warcraft fan then you should have already bought it. If you're new to warcraft, go out and find your self a copy and join the fun.image

Currently Playing: EQ2, WoW
    Retired: Everquest, DAoC, WW2Online, AC2
    Quit: SWG

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

• DeginethDegineth Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by ozgamerz
    Hi guys and girls...I know that i'm posting a lame topic but i really want to hear all those real WoW players feedback on how good this game is compared to other mmorpgs out there. Currently, I'm kinda sceptic about WoW because the models are pretty much from Warcraft 3. Yes, the surroundings and music is great and cool and stuff, if I were to compare this game with the older game from blizzard such as Diablo2, I'm not too keen about it. In WoW, what is the main theme that players go for? hunting good gears? gameplay? just pure pvp? or just another excuse to use bots to do the job? I have 1 or 2 friends currently playing it but from their point of view it's just not enough. I wish that you guys out there can help me out here. Thanks. I really appreciate all the genuine feedbacks thanks.

How about you understand the concept of MMORPG. After you ahve realised that start reading something about WoW before posting here and not being sure whether to play or not, because i can clearly see you have no ideea what WoW is about. Get a f**king brain and read the official site/fansites/history/reviews/Mmorpg "x" vs Wow and so on.

But no, instead of doing that you come here asking people to tell you about the game. Well I hope you won't buy the game and stay out of it. You will just put another stone to comunity's neck in drowning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arguing on the Internet is like running the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arguing on the Internet is like running the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard

How about you understand the concept of MMORPG. After you ahve realised that start reading something about WoW before posting here and not being sure whether to play or not, because i can clearly see you have no ideea what WoW is about. Get a f**king brain and read the official site/fansites/history/reviews/Mmorpg "x" vs Wow and so on.

But no, instead of doing that you come here asking people to tell you about the game. Well I hope you won't buy the game and stay out of it. You will just put another stone to comunity's neck in drowning.

Well, first of all, thanks for all those who genuinely helped me in understanding this game. However, like i mentioned before for all those that are pissed and are lame, peace man. I'm not here to make a fool out of myself, but with the kind of attitude that you bear, man... it seems like you have no respect for others that are really trying to look for second opinion from other sources. Anyways, happy new year 2005 and chill out.

• MatiorMatior Member Posts: 12

Its unfortunate that there are indeed a few who just @#$@# on and on about how  lame one must be not to have know how. blablablablabla

In short what you did Ignore, ignore big time :)

Now to the question.

The game:

Graphic wise: nice detail, yes cartoonish but doesn't make it bad graphics only different best of all you don't need Power monger pc to able to play it, EQ II has GREAT graphics unfortunatly one has to have a pc made in 2006 to play it 'decently' with everything to full. again the graphics in wow are not uber but are (imho) verry nice and in the 'correct' warcraft style.

Economics: The cash flow is nicly done as far as i have expereinced it, most questing/adventuring yields decent cash and training is affordable and not outright an attack on yer wallet (ingame that is) Further more, the auction option is a nice add, what players don't need they sell at the auction at a better price then whatever able to find at a vendor. in general Econmics 8

Tradeskilling: At the moment i find it a bit 'su ck y' mainly cause everyone can become whatever they want a warrior can be the same as a mage as a shaman as a paladin. which is a bit loss, There seems to be a no limit to whatever one can become as a certain class/tradeskill combo. this is initself good, only yer not one of the few that can make item a, yer one of the many. all tradeskill, albeit somewhat different in resource and all is generaly the same click and wait no difficulty involved. this is as well an improvemnt as a degrade of tradeskilling. Yes its easier instead of the grind as in for example DAoC when you had to make a weapon by making the more parts(hilt/heft/blade) and then when you fail at combining those you would start all over again. The Disadvantage as said before is. Everyone can do it. In DAoC Master weaponsmiths were 'rare' they weren't around all the time 24/7 in this game there will most likly be always one present because its not that hard to follow trough with it, there will be the same amount of time spend in it as in all other skills.

Questing: Nicly done although it does seem sometimes as a grind kill x monsters and retrieve x items. but not all are like that some involve the multiple step and others involve the 'rescuing' which is nice imho. The thing lacking is the main story line its more a open book most of the time, that is a bit a shame. and as far as i know, but then i could su ck ofcourseimage is the quests after lvl 30 till 34 at least are well less satisfying. The rewards one get from most quests are decent to great. if one is a bit greedy like me, and because of it you look for nice quest you will get lovly rewards for the quests.

Group/Solo: One of the Best things so far in my opinion, you can Solo great as far as i know with almost all classes with the exception maybe of the warrior he will be the hardest with he most 'downtime'. Grouping is GREAT although there are lamo's ofcourse but in general Guilds solve those problems rather fast, but Groupin is nicly done there are quests which are only doable with groups (elites) assuming yer not 10 levels pass the quest image.

PvP versus PvE: okay this one is higly personal I like the you no touchy other side you no getty killed on sight rule so i am all in favor of this system but if you like to kill every alliance/horde you see you'll hate it, although the pvp server exist for that ofcourse, but im a pve and pvp when i want to not when i just accidentily comeacross a elf or human with the urge to kill every moving orc in sight :) PvE is nicly done although some ai could be adjusted. Keep in acount you have two different servers PVP and PVE, the PVP lets you kill eachother on sight, the PVE server lets you kill eachother only when that one has attacked npc enemy faction.

RAIDS Heavily needs work and balancing, because the game is fairly new ;0) this will probably be fixed in a few patched or nerfed in some if not most people vieuws ;)

So:

Graphics: 8 (dependent on what one finds 'nice')

Economics: 8

Tradeskilling: weak 6 more a 5

Questing: 7

Group/solo: 8

PvE: 7

PvP: 4

Raiding/defending: 4

These last two are mainly low because they could balance it way better they should have after the beta, but they didn't (yet) i know i know perhaps im moaning abit but im allowed a bit in my opinion, i played a Dozen online games and at the moment DAoC had a nice PvP system with nice raiding involved. Sure it wasn't perfect but a whole lot better then this system yes the adavantage is you won't get killed every step toward yer goal. but then again its a rather pain in the butt to have almost no chance of killing a char that is only a few levels above you, which with a bit of tactic was doable in daoc. plus no certain/good pvp area most area's are more home places of all ranges of levels, which means instagib for the lowby's there. which is a real turnoff for new ones to the genre, oh i finaly can go to the next continent an.... GANKED. nope not a turn on :) i myself advice a few battlegrounds for practice in the lower levels.

Edit: This last bit could have been pasted above but to lazy to change now sorry.

Well thats all i can say at the moment about it there is a bunch of stuff im forgetting but i am at work and have to do that to every now and then ;)

Matior of Mirth

Gerard: Stop talking nonsense, Rastlin Majere is dead! Tas: So am I. You can’t let a little thing like that stop you. - Dragons of a Vanished Moon

Gerard: Stop talking nonsense, Rastlin Majere is dead! Tas: So am I. You can’t let a little thing like that stop you. - Dragons of a Vanished Moon

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    Graphic are fine they were made in traditional style of warcraft so they are great.Game ive been playin for maybe 3 days im hooked .Enjoying it more and more as i go.I havnt met any of these so called battlenet kiddie people are always complainin about.w

Hey Matior,

Thanks for that post. It really gives me a lot more that what I wanted to know. At least now, I've got a better grip and feel of what the players of WoW thinks. Another question, what's the average time that each player need to spend on average to get decent quests and lvling done? I'm currently working full time so the most i can spare is 1 hr per day or maybe 3 hours during weekends. Will I be wasting money if i can only commit such little time to it? or it's still okay? Thanks for the feedbacks.

Some quests take minutes some take hours but you can log off come back on and continue them there are like 2000+ quests and they are what makes it so fun.

• Rock_RardRock_Rard Member UncommonPosts: 93

hrmm, main theme that players go for?.... there isnt really a "one thing" some people like questing all day to get that bad ass weapon or armor, or doing the epic quest of an area for the reputation, or taking on a dungeon that a few lvl's ago owned you :) Some enjoy gathering and/or crafting materials, I know some old school mmo players that like to just go out and grind on mobs all day :P You can always go into one of the main towns and just chat and hang out with other players lol have seen some funny snowball fights and interesting, to say the least, conversations there image

I know personally I enjoy riding my horse from area to area and completing quests that I missed the first time, or helping lower lvl guild mates image

My best advice to you is, find your own theme!

• AtheaAthea Member UncommonPosts: 79
    About your PvP question, ("is it all about PvP"). Well, it depends if you go on a PvP, PvE, or RP server. I've been on all 3 and I don't like PvP so I really didn't enjoy that server. Besides when your on a PvP server its a lot harder to get quests done, level ect... because your always on the lookout. On RP servers, its pretty much the same as PvE servers, except sometimes you meet big RP nuts and they really sound stupid to me. So I just play on a Normal server (PvE), you still have the option to PvP, and you have the option to RP. Unlike the other servers, your not forced to do either one.

Admin / Owner of warcraftradio.com (Gryphon Productions)

And the instance dungeons have to be some of the most fantastic dungeon crawling ive ever seen in an mmorpg soem of the bad guys mid bosses are greatly detailed the speech when the talk.Ive played for like 3 days now did one instance cave i had such a great time well i died multiple time do to bein a low lvl but i still got a kick outa it.

Thanks again guys for replying my questions... somehow I didn't quit understand why Blizzard wanted to split PvP and PvE so distinctively. Many other mmorpgs they also have their own system for PvP, but then again, maybe they've found the old PvP system that they've done in Diablo and Diablo 2 isn't efficient and had lotsa flaws in it. By the way, what is RP server? in PvE servers, do you get better item drops? I'm a item finder addict. That's how i really got hooked in Diablo 2... keep on finding items for hours and hours.

• rpgmasterjayrpgmasterjay Member Posts: 62

RP stands for role playing so I think you can guess what a RP server is and no you don't get different drops on the different servers.

Hmm Leveling:

In tradeskills it goes up rather fast doing something that has a coloured name levels yer skill in that category with the exception of green coloured names those level rather slowly.

Leveling character is rather fast not a real grind (at least in comparisment to example Lineage II ;-) )

First 10 levels can be done (for simplicity) 1 lvl a hr a 1 ½ hr. after those it’s a bit dependent on how you continue. If you stick to quest for yer level and a bit tougher you will level rather fast and no harm if you go for killing beasty’s only it will not go as fast as doing the quest, Questing gives a decent boost in xp the beauty is you can do multiple quest for the same area with 1 or 2 exceptions, you will have at least the choice of doing 3-5 quest in the same area at least that is my experience so far. And now for the Sheer beauty one of the 3 reasons I think I will play this game a LONG time,

RESTED TIME !!!

This can be attained by logging off at a inn. What is it you ask? Well simply put Lazy xp, when one ‘rests’ at a inn the next time you log in you get a ‘boost’ in the next x amount of kills until you reach a certain amount of xp. This means for every kill you make you get 2x the xp, until the mark on yer xp bar is reached then you get back to normal xp.

I once had (beta) not logged in for a week and a bit. I almost got 2 entire levels of rested time meaning I had to kill half as many critters to get the same xp as a friend of mine who had played those two levels without rested time.

This rested time IS GAINED ONLY IN INN’S.

As a side note this counts for Kills only not for quests.

You’ll start the game with a stone called the Heartstone. This stone can be tied to Any Inn. Meaning when one needs to log you only have to use the stone and youll get teleported to the inn you were bound to. The drawback is you have to travel back to yer ‘hunting’ spot everytime but if you don’t know how long you have to wait to log in again this is Definatly worth it as I said. In game time I have about 7 levels completed with rested time ;) sure a hardcore gamer still will pass you by and no it doesn’t compensate the entire ‘loss’ you have when you could have played all the logged off time, but hey lets be honest this is the first time it has been made easier for you when you haven’t been playing for a while (ssuming you logged off at inn)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

That about it I think.

If you have more questions do ask.

• RuffryderRuffryder Member Posts: 1
    Yo dude im gonna put it this way: WOW IS THE BEST GAME dont hesitate to buy it man it really kix ass. Youll see once u play, the number of things u can do is amazing im a pretty big gamer and i if u like RPGs WOW is the game to get, everyone should get it.

dude

dude

Thanks guys for your amazing replies. I've much more convinced now with the amount of detail explanations. One last thing tho, I don't know whether my machine is up to scratch to get the best performance in terms of graphics and latency. I'm currently using AMD XP 2000+, 768 Mb Ram, 120 Gb (80+40), Geforce 4 MX440 and inbuilt soundcard. I'm also using T1 connection at the moment. If i should join, which is better? pvp or pve? i actually think maybe pve would suit me better :) thanks guys for all ya help.

Originally posted by ozgamerz

Thanks guys for your amazing replies. I've much more convinced now with the amount of detail explanations. One last thing tho, I don't know whether my machine is up to scratch to get the best performance in terms of graphics and latency. I'm currently using AMD XP 2000+, 768 Mb Ram, 120 Gb (80+40), Geforce 4 MX440 and inbuilt soundcard. I'm also using T1 connection at the moment. If i should join, which is better? pvp or pve? i actually think maybe pve would suit me better :) thanks guys for all ya help.

I always get a bit confuse when seeing specs of pc's ;-) amd xp 2000 is 2.0 ghz or 2.0 amd ghz cause there is a difference ;-) i always get confused as what tho, but 2.0 ghz amd is speed wise Good enough to run.

Harddisk should be fine as long as it is not a 1200 rpm one imagebut i assume the 5400 rpm it is.

Geforce 4 is more then adequate to play and the T1 is only something i would be jealous about so no issue there either.

The only thing i have no clue about is the Memory, i myself haven't seen the game on any other pc then 1 gb memory so?? no clue if it is a real issue it doesn't look like it to me, but there is a faq aite at blizzards with the minimum spec's required (sorry lost the box among the peasants here so can't look it up at the moment) with the minimum specs add 20-30% xtra and you can make it dance quite well.

As of the pvp/pve server:

Main difference is PvP server one can attack and be attacked as soon as one enters the 'other' side.

with PvE server you have to attack a npc on the other side to be flagged first or else you can't be attacked or attack other pc's. which is a Great Pro and a Great Con i like it that i can walk around and not be assaulted as a newby right away but a decent' raid is a little bit harder to plan on the PvE server. and in general i am (at the moment) not being wacked 24/7 yet on the pvp server *great cheers here* but that could be just lucky me image

If you do buy the game be patient the first month still cause there will be a lotta '%2345234523$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@" still around being real silly and stupid :)

Thanks for your info Matior.. I will try to lookout for those dumbwits who are always into screwing around with the game. I'm still yet to purchase the game because of money vs time factor. I'm still looking around some alternatives just in case i don't make a mistake.. which i know WoW is going to be the all time best MMORPG at the moment.. until Blizzard releases WoD... that's when i'll join up 100% for sure. WoD? World of DIABLO... mauahahahahhahahahhahaha::::40::

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

well my experince with WoW has been almost all positive. When poeple tell you about a lame community full of children i just dont think thats true. i ahvent had a single problem like that and i just switchd form an rp server to a normal server expecting a crap load of it and i found everyone to be just as helped as an rp server. could be because i have a sense of humor and some people are motards and think that someone making a joke is a sign of immaturity and then some and whine to everyone about it.

The gfx are also very nice i can only run them on low right now untill i get my new computer and there still very nice! i played them with everything on high on my friends computer smooth as butter and the graphics were just beautiful so colorful and nice its great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I suppose anyone who spends most of their time doing one thing has their head up their ass and if they do something that you enjoy but make money off it they must be evil.

But i bet if i wrote a song about my bitches sippin on my 40 and how i like to grind them then beat'm i'd be your hero and you'd give me your money?

-Copeland

Originally posted by j-monster

well my experince with WoW has been almost all positive. When poeple tell you about a lame community full of children i just dont think thats true. i ahvent had a single problem like that and i just switchd form an rp server to a normal server expecting a crap load of it and i found everyone to be just as helped as an rp server. could be because i have a sense of humor and some people are motards and think that someone making a joke is a sign of immaturity and then some and whine to everyone about it.

The gfx are also very nice i can only run them on low right now untill i get my new computer and there still very nice! i played them with everything on high on my friends computer smooth as butter and the graphics were just beautiful so colorful and nice its great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I suppose anyone who spends most of their time doing one thing has their head up their ass and if they do something that you enjoy but make money off it they must be evil.
    But i bet if i wrote a song about my bitches sippin on my 40 and how i like to grind them then beat'm i'd be your hero and you'd give me your money?
    -Copeland

Well, as far as I know, there are many players from the age of 10 to early 20s are playing Blizzard games. That is a fact that you can't hide. As for the community, I believe that majority of them are still a bunch of kids. I would only regards mature players after they are 21+ when they know how to be responsible for their actions and etc.