Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting professions

I have not played SWG in a VERY long time. pre-nge to be exact. I know everybody says its crap but hey there is a 14 day trial (i think) so i figured ill give it a go out of boredom. My question is are the crafting profs able to actually make money or is there no decay on items and are things with the economy just screwed?

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Shipwright (structures trader) has been left NGE free, and I believe a talented SW can make a tidy sum of credits. Munition traders can still make could coin if you have great resources, but remember there is no decay, so there will not be a lot of repeat business. Engineer traders just got a revamp, introducing new droids and cybernetics, but again, after the first wave of sales and no decay, the sales will slow down and the undercutters will minimize profit - much like Architect. All crafting proferssions can craft some aspect of Beast Master goods, but it is a very expensive undertaking due to amount of top resources needed to be competitive. The truth is, loot rules the economy, and a lot of the very desirable stuff that gets top credits are from the Trading Card Game (TCG) Lottery Loot cards.

Crafting Skill Enhancement Attacchments (SEAs) can make some money, but it really isn't true crafting. Getting the needed loot components and then making the actual SEAs is a mind-numbing grindfest.

I strongly sugggest you take advantage of a free trial and see for yourself. Make sure you are on one of the few populated servers left, like Starsider, Flurry or Bloodfin, or you will end up playing "I am Legend".

• rex126rex126 Member Posts: 8

Alrights thanks for the info. I was interested in DE like in my pre-cu days and I hear there is a droid commander coming soon? So maybe that will boost DE sales.

Originally posted by rex126

Alrights thanks for the info. I was interested in DE like in my pre-cu days and I hear there is a droid commander coming soon? So maybe that will boost DE sales.

I believe Droid Commander has been indefinitely shelved. What DE has right now is about all it is gonna get for a long time.

• rex126rex126 Member Posts: 8

Uhg that is quite the bummer I wished I could have been able to make coin even making low level stuff like back in the day

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

mostly crafters make their money selling grinding resources and loot from a combat prof main

Originally posted by rex126

Uhg that is quite the bummer I wished I could have been able to make coin even making low level stuff like back in the day

Making capped subcomponents for Beast Master crafting can certainly make some excellent credits.  However, as the poster said just above me, your trader will make you the most money selling loot your combatant toon acquires. Certain looted collection pieces go for insane amounts of credits.  Selling resources (high quality and hard to get grind like water and ore), will definitely rake in a hefty amount of credits.  You still can enjoy making droids, but just keep in mind that it is not going to be your big money maker.

• zunarnzunarn Member CommonPosts: 97

Why dont you go Archy? I made some decent money with my Architect with the new windowed houses. There is always a need for houses and bikes. Just drop a bunch of harvies then as you gather resources level up or you can wait till you have enough resources and just grind the levels

Originally posted by zunarn

Why dont you go Archy? I made some decent money with my Architect with the new windowed houses. There is always a need for houses and bikes. Just drop a bunch of harvies then as you gather resources level up or you can wait till you have enough resources and just grind the levels

As an engineer trader, he can make vehicles. Going arch is the easiest level grind, The problem with arch is that it is a profession where the undercutters makes it much less profiable. Houses (and vehicles) often sell for less than 2 cpu, so why bother when you can sell sell half decent resources at 3 -5 cpu (especially ore).

The biggest use most current players have with a trader toon is the vendors needed to sell and store loot. I am sure that there are players that enjoy crafting and selling items that don't care about a profit - it is just fun to do. I would suggest serious merchanting.....scouring the bazaar regularly and picking up undervalued loot and reward items  then reselling them at a great profit. That is a game in itself.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

I'm fairly new  so I'll try and point a couple things out to you.  If you figure everyone is "old timer" and so rich that you'll make millions per sale starting out -- you're going to be very disappointed.  If you go in with the idea you're going to have to work at it and sell cheap, you should do just fine.

Learn to check the market before selling and making things.  If you played before, you may have forgotten something that is still kind of ugly:  Learning how to shop in the game.

There is a bazaar and there are other vendors.  The default view of the bazaar will *NOT* show you all the vendors spread out.  This is a marketing trick for you to pay a good deal of attention to:  If newer players don't know how to find what is being sold at player vendors then they will only buy based upon what they see so if you price things, and bundle it, to fit the bazaar's limits -- then put it on the bazaar...  You'll be amazed at how much you'll sell, even higher priced than what many vendors show.

Example:  Missile packs.  Low end ones sell for about 1k-5k per 10-15 pack and can be bought in bulk.  I have sold 8 packs (when I started out) at 5k per 8 using the bazaar and sold all of them out (about 15 packs) in a couple days using the bazaar to sell them.  They were *MUCH* lower quality and more expensive but I didn't know how vendors worked nor how to search and if folks were paying as much as 5x the price, they sure as hell didn't know how to find the cheaper stuff either so...  Keep prices under 20k, put the stuff up as instant buyout and it'll move with you making money.

That's a limited market.  *EVENTUALLY* folks learn how to search for vendors and find "real" prices.  Keep an eye on things others need that aren't up for sale.   Things like "wall units", that are nasty to make (10 building pieces per all and wall units are needed from "factory crates" -- matching -- to make many, MANY things like harvesters, houses, guild halls, etc...).  The QUALITY is not important on wall units and the like so even a "just got the schematic!" can make the same quality stuff as a level 90 "since beta!" player and both will need them...  It ain't fun making but it can get you going with a factory that pays for itself fairly early on.

etc... etc.. etc...  The stuff is complex but keep your eyes out for things that don't take "the perfect gear/tools and best resources!" to get done.  Make that kind of stuff and use the existing crafters as your market base just as much as the players.  They pay decently and you can crank out your own stuff too but you'll have to learn a bit to get rolling.

I hope that helps a bit -- one "newbie" to a "returning vet" :-)

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Kazara

You still can enjoy making droids, but just keep in mind that it is not going to be your big money maker.

Do you play SWG at all, Kazara? 

As an Engineering Trader I am making loads of money off the new droids sales, as well as the usual sales of components, vehicles, Reverse Engineering and custom orders.  I haven't even touched on Cybernetics yet, that looks very lucrative.

Also your statement that "Loot rules the economy" is not true, crafted goods are always in very high demand.  The TCG loot cards are so rare that very few people will be able to consider using them as a replacement for crafted items, even if that were possible.

If you are looking for more information on Engineer, rex126, it would be better to ask people that play the profession over on the official Trader (Engineering) forum.  I dont think you will be able to post there with a trial account, but it is a great source of information for all things Engineer.

I play both my Traders as Droid Commanders right now, my CL90 CWW8 and Union Sentry droids all have level 3 specials that I can kill high level elite critters with.

I hope that helps!

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Kazara

You still can enjoy making droids, but just keep in mind that it is not going to be your big money maker.

Do you play SWG at all, Kazara? 

As an Engineering Trader I am making loads of money off the new droids sales, as well as the usual sales of components, vehicles, Reverse Engineering and custom orders.  I haven't even touched on Cybernetics yet, that looks very lucrative.

Also your statement that "Loot rules the economy" is not true, crafted goods are always in very high demand.  The TCG loot cards are so rare that very few people will be able to consider using them as a replacement for crafted items, even if that were possible.

If you are looking for more information on Engineer, rex126, it would be better to ask people that play the profession over on the official Trader (Engineering) forum.  I dont think you will be able to post there with a trial account, but it is a great source of information for all things Engineer.

I play both my Traders as Droid Commanders right now, my CL90 CWW8 and Union Sentry droids all have level 3 specials that I can kill high level elite critters with.

I hope that helps!

Do you bother reading the thread and my other responses Badger? I strongly suggest you read them and the rest of the thread before you jump into a thread without thinking. I never said that Engineer can't make money, but I did say the big credits are in loot because it does and will continue to do so. If you feel better believing crafted goods even comes close to the kind of credits loot pulls in, then by all means go ahead and feel that way. Maybe you need to take a look at the trading boards or the bazaar to get a reality check. I hope that helps.