Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cataclysm - Take Your Time!

KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way about this as I do.  I hope and am wanting Blizzard Activision to take their time with the Cataclysm Expansion.  I see that the website is up already for it and to me that means a release very soon.  Blizzard loves to surprise their players with new and exciting things, I will give them credit for that, but they are becoming excessively predictable.

Gamestop has a release date of November 1st, 2010 which to me sounds more feasible than xmas of this year.  (Rumor).

They have to face some reality that they are going to lose players.  This is one of the biggest years we have seen for a while for "good" upcoming MMOs, the biggest being Star Wars: The Old Republic which is getting great reviews not to mention winnng best pc game at E3.   Also Champions Online is due this week, Aion in the next few weeks, Going Rogueexpansion  for the City Of Heroes game, Star Trek Online, Alganon, and a few fps MMOs taking the chance and launching.  Not to mention Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer Online, D&D Online, and the Everquest series that most people have played at least once.  Most of this will take place in Q4 2009 and Q1 2010.

I am sure BAs marketing is going to try and hold on to as many Warcraft players as possible.

Reading a few posts and talking to a few people, they are sort of putting Cataclysm on 'the back burner', even if it does come out before the end of 2009.  People just are not going to make it top priority and are looking for something new.

What I am hoping is that Blizz takes its time and puts out a good expansion and not just something that is a mish-mash or a buyable content expansion.  Money, money, money.  You think they would have made enough already with the game instead of being overly greedy and put out garbage.

Please, take your time and put together a good pack.  I love the Worgen race already and I haven't even played them.  Put together some good content and you will be guarateed another Collectors Edition from me if I can get one.  I have been lucky locally so far with the original game and the expansion.

I felt as if Blizzard was going down hill after Diablo 2 came out.  Something left wrong about the game for me and made me think their quality was going downhill and that they were losing something in the transition.  Alot of people like D2 and it is just a feeling that I have, so lets not prove me right eh?

Their average game playability on a game is 10 years, before they start looking into putting something new out for their 3 franchises.

World Of Warcraft has always been like an online amusement park for me.  Please don't blow it by destroying something not tested just to get monies and beat out the competition.  WOW is a hobbie to most and a obsession to others.  Please do not play on the latter and make a good expansion.  And most of all, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Just a quick note to mention here what I would like to see.  I would like to see more soloable stuff in terms of a questing.  As in a downloadable type quest or mission where the play field is all yours.  You would keep me around more often is you had stuff like that in the game and not just guild instance runs for high levels.

Good luck with Cataclysm!

GlassEye

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

its been confirmed that they are aiming for a 2010 release. The xmas this year rumor was started as a joke

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164

I have never once seen Blizzard rush a game out before they felt it was done.

These guys have the funding to fully polish a game before it releases.

Say what you will about original wow, tbc or wotlk but these games/expansions were polished and nowhere near a rushed product.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

How could anybody believe that this expansion would go live at any time this year, when the final encounter with Arthas is not yet introduced into the game?

Cataclysm is at least a year away from launch.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Kalay

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way about this as I do.  I hope and am wanting Blizzard Activision to take their time with the Cataclysm Expansion.  I see that the website is up already for it and to me that means a release very soon.  Blizzard loves to surprise their players with new and exciting things, I will give them credit for that, but they are becoming excessively predictable.
    Gamestop has a release date of November 1st, 2010 which to me sounds more feasible than xmas of this year.  (Rumor).
    They have to face some reality that they are going to lose players.  This is one of the biggest years we have seen for a while for "good" upcoming MMOs, the biggest being Star Wars: The Old Republic which is getting great reviews not to mention winnng best pc game at E3.   Also Champions Online is due this week, Aion in the next few weeks, Going Rogueexpansion  for the City Of Heroes game, Star Trek Online, Alganon, and a few fps MMOs taking the chance and launching.  Not to mention Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer Online, D&D Online, and the Everquest series that most people have played at least once.  Most of this will take place in Q4 2009 and Q1 2010.
    I am sure BAs marketing is going to try and hold on to as many Warcraft players as possible.
    Reading a few posts and talking to a few people, they are sort of putting Cataclysm on 'the back burner', even if it does come out before the end of 2009.  People just are not going to make it top priority and are looking for something new.
    What I am hoping is that Blizz takes its time and puts out a good expansion and not just something that is a mish-mash or a buyable content expansion.  Money, money, money.  You think they would have made enough already with the game instead of being overly greedy and put out garbage.
    Please, take your time and put together a good pack.  I love the Worgen race already and I haven't even played them.  Put together some good content and you will be guarateed another Collectors Edition from me if I can get one.  I have been lucky locally so far with the original game and the expansion.
    I felt as if Blizzard was going down hill after Diablo 2 came out.  Something left wrong about the game for me and made me think their quality was going downhill and that they were losing something in the transition.  Alot of people like D2 and it is just a feeling that I have, so lets not prove me right eh?
    Their average game playability on a game is 10 years, before they start looking into putting something new out for their 3 franchises.
    World Of Warcraft has always been like an online amusement park for me.  Please don't blow it by destroying something not tested just to get monies and beat out the competition.  WOW is a hobbie to most and a obsession to others.  Please do not play on the latter and make a good expansion.  And most of all, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT RIGHT!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Just a quick note to mention here what I would like to see.  I would like to see more soloable stuff in terms of a questing.  As in a downloadable type quest or mission where the play field is all yours.  You would keep me around more often is you had stuff like that in the game and not just guild instance runs for high levels.

I think it comes out tomorrow... You know, Blizzard has been known for taking FOREVER with their WoW expansions...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

You just quoted the whole OP to put a one-liner?

/facepalm

Originally posted by Xasapis

You just quoted the whole OP to put a one-liner?
    /facepalm

Your face, my palm...wait, huh?

I am just here to raise my post count...this is about Warcraft, I still play and enjoy the hell out of this game. Actually I don't care about the post count, unless it is spent calling out SWG "Vets"...then call me Rambo and them the dude in the front seat of that truck...

Haha, my mistake...I "love" you all...

Only the burnouts are interested in Cataclysm? That's a bold statement. Does that mean that the current WoW players are not interested in Cataclysm?

Hmmm, you probably wanted to say something else.

[There is really no need to inject football kind of fanatism in a leisure pastime. I dislike this kind of self inflicted blindness, when somebody can't enjoy the pastime, unless they inject the team fanatism into the mix. Personally, I enjoy a good game (of football or a PC one) without prejudices of teams and companies.]

Dragon age and some other interesting single player games will be out this autumn. I'm also hoping that Diablo will be out before fall, but I doubt it. Unlike Starcraft which is ready (and is delayed by battle.net), Diablo has a long way to go still.

Aion will be an interesting experiment. If the world PvP works in the same manner it worked in Lineage 2, it'll be a blast to play. If the bots/hacks take over, not so much. Ultimately, I'm still looking for a futuristic MMO, yet I don't see anything interesting in the next 3-6 months. Perhaps it'll be a Starcraft Online MMO. Yes, Blizzard denied it, but they did the exact same thing with Warcraft. At the same time they seem to be following the exact same release pattern, ie. releasing the RTS instalment with the strong story before the MMO.

In any case and to get back on topic, Cataclysm won't be around for at least a year. The major hint for that is that the current content is not yet fully explored. Once the expansion excitement dies out a bit, I'm sure that Blizzard will keep on promoting the current content (Arthas feels like a backwater hero after the cataclysm announcement).

[I'm reading the article as we speak. I spotted it on another thread.]

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Defo goona be released around september - november next year, no chance this year reason being ICECROWN the last content patch for wotlk where we  face off againsty Arthus, its not even on the PTR yet and probably wont be untill November ready for a january release.  Blizzard will need to give us a good 4-5months to get through that content and then start the pre-cataclsym events.

While all this is going on Starcraft 2 should be ready for release around April-May so makes no sense to release the Xpac around that time.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Dragon age and some other interesting single player games will be out this autumn. I'm also hoping that Diablo will be out before fall, but I doubt it. Unlike Starcraft which is ready (and is delayed by battle.net), Diablo has a long way to go still.
    Aion will be an interesting experiment. If the world PvP works in the same manner it worked in Lineage 2, it'll be a blast to play. If the bots/hacks take over, not so much. Ultimately, I'm still looking for a futuristic MMO, yet I don't see anything interesting in the next 3-6 months. Perhaps it'll be a Starcraft Online MMO. Yes, Blizzard denied it, but they did the exact same thing with Warcraft. At the same time they seem to be following the exact same release pattern, ie. releasing the RTS instalment with the strong story before the MMO.
    In any case and to get back on topic, Cataclysm won't be around for at least a year. The major hint for that is that the current content is not yet fully explored. Once the expansion excitement dies out a bit, I'm sure that Blizzard will keep on promoting the current content (Arthas feels like a backwater hero after the cataclysm announcement).
    [I'm reading the article as we speak. I spotted it on another thread.]

I have played Merdian 59 and UO, then EQ all while playing single player RPGs. The first Diablo as well. 

While the single player games were fun as hell, none of them took me away from the MMOs. To this day I play the hell out of both.

Maybe it's just me, but I can walk and chew gum at the same time...

Well, I'm a bit different. When I play an MMO, I commit all my free gaming time on it. I also play no alts. I just try to be the best I can, not only for me, but for the people that surround me.

So, mixing single and MMOs will be something new for me. So far all the single player games that shared time with my MMO remained unfinished.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Kalay

How much more solo you want,any more you mite as well play D3 or some other single player RPG. WoW does  not need anymore solo content imo.

How much more solo you want,any more you mite as well play D3 or some other single player RPG. WoW does not need anymore solo content imo.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

@ X,
    Read this : www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php
    I just stumbled upon it in another thread.
    Remember the (Xn.... Sn) = Wow fomula you thought it wasn't valid.
    Read upon it and then you know why you still keep publishing here as an ex WOW player.
    Have fun in Aion.:))).....  And welcome back within 3 months.

Well i stopped reading after Strain talked about creating an overwhelmingly superior game.

The reason is that i have seen the steps and it does not equate to facts or numbers one bit,he is just another long list of naive people.The true fact is 90% luck,people just like to take a game that does have high sub numbers and auto think it means that game does something right,when in fact most of the time that game does things EXACTLY the same way s other games.

EQ2 was the next overwhelmingly superior game,but the media hype shunned it as just another Eq game and hyped up WOW as the "IN" thing the "cool" thing to do at the time.Wow was inferior to EQ2 in just about every facet of tech and design,so it "WAS" the overwhelmingly better game and did not mean squat.

VG tried to up the standards once again,creating the often talked about no zones and greater view distances ,all the while maintaining the best looking game out there.So again standards mean nothing,people just like to FABRICATE success meaning quality,it has not shown at all to be true.

Let's take a very simple look at WOW's creation.The devs needed an idea,well let's do a EQ copy because that is what we are all playing and know all to well.Ok let's decide on a game engine,well let's not we already have one,let's just use it,again not showing any thought to quality,just cost.Ok let's decide on the art/graphics and look of the game,well again let's not let's just use what we already know and have.

This is all fact and shows the effort and mindset put into the design of WOW was extremely limited,not really a creation but more or less thrown together with what they already had and knew.Wow or i mean Blizzard did not introduce even one single new aspect to gaming so again "overwhelmingly superior" is thrown not only out the window but right off the planet.

GW introduced a sort of change in that it is somewhere in between the F2P and the P2P,not really ground breaking but a tad different i agree.As far as the game goes ,it is really nothing more than a single player game ,with co-op abilities,nothing new and nothing in the actual game is new either,so again this talk about going for "overwhelmingly superior " standard is nice PR talk,but just BS IMO.

To sum up all the games out there,sure WOW is ok to play,sure GW is ok to play,heck there ALL ok to play,but there is VERY little in any of the games that cry out play me over the other guy.I could write a 2500 line essay on immersion quality in a game,something that can REALLY make a game stand out and feel like you are in a truly alive world,but in reality none of the games have come even close yet,heck MOST games are on the opposite end striving for non immersion ,non realistic game play.

One simple example...unless your game is back in the times of BC,there should be working doors ,even if old creeky wooden things on hinges,many games can't even get that done in there game.So quality is of VERY low standards in most games,that people THINK are of high quality.Oh well Strain would have no problem brain washing those people i guess,that is probably who he was talking to lol,because it was not me ,that's for sure.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Isnt this excellent, Zorndorf quoting Arenanet/NCSoft personnel....  the world is changing

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

Blizzard are worried about thier declining subs an the challenge from other games . So i think theres a good chance they ll unwisly rush this xpac out . If they are to do a good job on it the soonest we can expect it is september 2010 . Should they rush it the Cataclysm may be an apt title in more ways than one . Rather than being the foolishly touted WOW 2 by some members in these forums it could be actual wowkiller .

I have a bad feeling about this .

• sm0062sm0062 Member Posts: 15

they will take their time, they have a bazillion dollars andd no time restriction.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

@ X,
    Read this : www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php
    I just stumbled upon it in another thread.
    Remember the (Xn.... Sn) = Wow fomula you thought it wasn't valid.
    Read upon it and then you know why you still keep publishing here as an ex WOW player.
    Have fun in Aion.:))).....  And welcome back within 3 months.

You see the problem is that its not warcraft a lot of ex players dont trust its Blizzard itself .I still enjoy it in short bursts but i know lots of people who will never return . As for AION it remains an x factor at the moment . But if it gets it right the potential it has to hurt WOW is greater now than anytime since WOWs release 5 years ago . In your heart you know this . otherwise you would nt feel the need to spend all your time in these forums defending WOW .