Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I could not stand it..it was killing me...confession...

MalakhonMalakhon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Okay...I've been playing this game in beta for weeks.

My daughter who is a COH fanatic LOVES COH and hates this game.

However, for weeks I tell her about it and she says "I don't wanna hear about F'n Champions Online"

I am like "But get this, I got a perk called Ceiling Cat during PVP..thats funny, right?"

She basically took over my COH account a few years ago when she fell in love with that game and I've not been able to play it since.

So tonight I read that Lifetime subs will be gone at midnight.....I sat there until a few minutes ago (15 minutes til the deadline) and I finally decided to get the second account.

They don't make it easy. I couldn't link it to a master account.  I had to use a secondary email for validation. That was a bummer.

However, in the end I've got the second lifetime sub, because I am pretty sure when COH drops I16 and Going Rogue and still can't keep subscribers, she'll be like "Let me log into your CO Account" and I can bust this out as my present to her!

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Nice story :)

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

So in other words, you wasted $200 in addition to a previous life time sub?

Let me help put it in perspective. IF....huge IF, your daughter suddenly decides to like CO. Will she really play it for 1.5 years? Really? Anything past that and you would be spending very little. In otherwords, you are basing your entire purchased on the concept your daughter will be playing this same game for more than 2 years (sub fee wise), in which then you would be saving money.

Look I dont want to call you an idiot or anything, but it seems like you have money to waste. If so, what will a few 20-50 dollars matter if she decides to play over 2 years? You see the perspective there? The life time option is a bit of a trick all based on assumption.

Very few people play the same mmorpg for over 2 years straight, and the ones that do end up playing more complex mmorpgs. CO is not one of them, it does target the casual gamer.

Taking that perspective into consideration... i am sorry for your loss.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

• FkinglinuxFkinglinux Member Posts: 156

Don't really see the need to be insulting to the OP :(, Although I'll admit I want this game to flop so hard Cryptic goes out of business and no other company will ever again attempt to put Item Malls and Pay2Play together ever again out of sheer terror.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Whow, some people really dont know what to do with money

Perhaps you could invested that 200$ into your daughters education ?

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

I think that you did a fine enough thing.  The idea that you purchased this because you wanted to share it with your daughter, as well as the fact that you wanted to share your delight with us is just fine.  I say congratulations and I hope the two of you enjoy your time playing. 

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I don't think this game will be able to the problems it has as far as pvp, clunkiness, cash shop, ect... I give it a year... with DC Universe coming out it's going to do better because it will get more attention for having the DC in front of it's name. Plus it looks like much better from the screens.

So in enjoy the lifetime subscription... to bad it's going to be for the life of the game and not your life.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Personally I would probably not go lifetime, but I think it's great you play MMOs with your daughter.

Looking forward to my kids being old enough to do the same thing.

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

As Murphy's Law dictates, any game that I say is garbage and will not last 3 months will turn into a decade long-lived game.

That said, on your behalf and in hopes that you get your money's worth out of those two accounts-

Champions Online is garbage and won't last 3 months.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

well hope the games worth it for life time sub.

• moonshakemoonshake Member Posts: 16

I was fighting the urge too, Malakhon.  

I did a trial of CoH and enjoyed it enough to consider subbing, but I decided to hold off for Champions.   Now that Champions is here, I thought about holding off for Star Wars with the same mindset.

But as the lifetime sub window ticked down, I started to wig out.  Got my lifetime sub confirmation e-mail with 10 minutes to spare.  

See you in game!

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

Unfortunately for you, I don't think CoH is going anywhere bad too fast.

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Got my LIfe the minute they re-instated. When this game is still here 3-5 years come back to this thread and give me my props for calling it.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

A lot of negativity...sheesh. Grats to the OP for sharing something that she enjoys with her daughter. I like CO a lot. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for the lifetime sub. I got the 6 month sub deal. I played CoH for 4 years and dearly loved the game til they ruined it with the AE.

I have no idea what the other poster meant by the "clunkiness". Movement is fluid, though the animations, I think, need a little tweaking. The UI is also pretty fluid, and works well with the game's mechanics. I'm just waiting to see where the developers take the game, what items make it into the RMT, and what the update cycle will be like before I buy the lifetime, if its still offered then.

That said, I am enjoying the game. I am experiencing the joy that I had lost when CoH decided to take a terrible turn. We can only wait and see what the state of the game will be in 6 months.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

lol.. dude .

I still dont get how can people pay $200 for such a limited game but hey.. thats just me.. still.. will you be playing this in 2 years? Are you sure about that?

Even better.. will this game still be live in 2 years? hmmm..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

alot of people pay 50 thousand dollars to get into a poker game where only 5 people get their money back or win more then they spent.  so folks dropping 200 on a sub is nothing really, i bet alot of you guys insulting the people that bought lifetime subs spend 200 bucks getting drunk every month.  too each their own, no need to insult people with money for how they spent their money after the fact.  damn trolls, go back to your caves!

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by neorandom

alot of people pay 50 thousand dollars to get into a poker game where only 5 people get their money back or win more then they spent.  so folks dropping 200 on a sub is nothing really, i bet alot of you guys insulting the people that bought lifetime subs spend 200 bucks getting drunk every month.  too each their own, no need to insult people with money for how they spent their money after the fact.  damn trolls, go back to your caves!

This.

• DionyseusDionyseus Member Posts: 48

A lot of people will be staying with CoX, even those who have played CO, so I don't think CoX will be dying anytime soon.  CoX has been around for many years and has survived many threats, we don't know if CO will have that kind of staying power. 

I assume you only have one PC at home, otherwise I think you would have bought another CoX account and played along with your daughter.  If the lifetime sub for CO is intended for her, how do you know she'd even consider playing the game when she's already happy with CoX?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Dionyseus

A lot of people will be staying with CoX, even those who have played CO, so I don't think CoX will be dying anytime soon.  CoX has been around for many years and has survived many threats, we don't know if CO will have that kind of staying power. 
    I assume you only have one PC at home, otherwise I think you would have bought another CoX account and played along with your daughter.  If the lifetime sub for CO is intended for her, how do you know she'd even consider playing the game when she's already happy with CoX?

Well those people can stick to CoX as it ain't many anyway lol. No offence tho. But the 2 EU servers in CoX are both pretty much dead.

Maybe there is a bit more life on one of the US servers in CoX? I don't know.

But so far, in Headstart alone. The server is crammed with people having a good time. That's all what counts.

• DionyseusDionyseus Member Posts: 48

I looked at some of your past posts and I noticed that the day before you decided to get the sub you posted that your daughter played CO for an hour and she ended with "That sucks, I am outie."  I am beginning to think the CO sub is more for you rather than for her. 

post #12: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3052705#3052705

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

The op did something good for someone else that is what matters, if it doesn't pan out for him oh well, the thought makes it feel good not the reception of the deed. I think the fact people can hate on that shows the state of humanity. We have become selfish to a point that we hate on others that arn't because if we don't we feel bad cause of how we are acting.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Being a father and I have elder daughter I would say well done .

That was very thoughful of you and she would love the gift

Although with my own experience children girls especially tend to change their likings often are unlikely to stick with something for very long

I had to buy gifts varying from bratz to winx and now the latest fads is hannah montana ( Dresses , shoes , accessories, toys , backpacks, purses )

So I would agree with others that 2nd life time sum might be a watse .

I personally wanted a life time sub but then I prefer I looked into my gameplay over the last 3 years and it has been like

Guild Wars to Tabula Rasa to Age of Conan to Warhammer to Darkfall Online to Champions Online.

I will play Champions for a while discontinue , continue with Age of Conan ( I liked it overall) then come back to Champions till Guild Wars 2 comes

Originally posted by sassoonss

Being a father and I have elder daughter I would say well done .

That was very thoughful of you and she would love the gift

Although with my own experience children girls especially tend to change their likings often are unlikely to stick with something for very long

I had to buy gifts varying from bratz to winx and now the latest fads is hannah montana ( Dresses , shoes , accessories, toys , backpacks, purses )
    So I would agree with others that 2nd life time sum might be a watse .
    I personally wanted a life time sub but then I prefer I looked into my gameplay over the last 3 years and it has been like
    Guild Wars to Tabula Rasa to Age of Conan to Warhammer to Darkfall Online to Champions Online.
    I will play Champions for a while discontinue , continue with Age of Conan ( I liked it overall) then come back to Champions till Guild Wars 2 comes

That's why I only ordered the 6-month deal. Together with a retail key, that's 7 months worth.

I got it so cheap because of the low dollar, that I earn it back within 3 months :)

So if this game bites the dust after a couple months and Cryptic screws up big time and chases everyone away.

Well.... then I don't lose much.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

To be honest, I reckon she will come round after seeing you play for a bit and what you have done will make things easier.  As for all you nay sayers out there, the biggest draw for games like CO is they are casual friendly meaning you can play as little or as much as you like without being forced to commit hours at a time (WoW raids being an example of that). This makes CO a very good choice for students or people with other things they need to do in their lives.

Finally for all you people who felt the need to throw insults come off it people firstly its not that much money (hell I know people who blow that much on two weekends at the pub). This purchase gives him something he and his daughter can do together and I think thats a good thing.

just my 2 cents

Gadareth

Originally posted by Gadareth

To be honest, I reckon she will come round after seeing you play for a bit and what you have done will make things easier.  As for all you nay sayers out there, the biggest draw for games like CO is they are casual friendly meaning you can play as little or as much as you like without being forced to commit hours at a time (WoW raids being an example of that). This makes CO a very good choice for students or people with other things they need to do in their lives.
    Finally for all you people who felt the need to throw insults come off it people firstly its not that much money (hell I know people who blow that much on two weekends at the pub). This purchase gives him something he and his daughter can do together and I think thats a good thing.

just my 2 cents
    Gadareth

Exactly,

Me and my gf both play EverQuest 2 and enjoy it a lot. It's a game that takes more commitment.

CO is a nice distraction from that. To play on and off and have fun. It's completely different. Different setting. Different gameplay. Etc.

It's nice to be able to do something different once in a while, then constantly playing the same game day in day out. You will get burned out sooner then later that way.