Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion is the most popular game on MMORPG.com

Comments

• Dilir79Dilir79 Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by morbidanya

Originally posted by TheStarheart

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by Whitetree

Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

Since you have insisted that you don't intend to ever even play Aion, why are you still on these forums? You're negativity isn't serving any purpose whatsoever. If you don't like the game, fine. We've read that. Several times. Please, if you must hang around this site, go find a game you DO like. And if you can't find any, find some other way to spend your time. Either way, there is no logical reason for us to see another post from you in Aion's forums.

Is it ok if i read about the new "wow killer" or am i forbidden from that as well?

Continued negative posting on a game that you aren't going to play and aren't going to contribute to in terms of its community is the issue.

I would say the same thing for myself or anyone else if we were trolling a different game that we had no intentions of playing on release. It obviously isn't down your alley, so please don't try to alter everyone's experiences that actually want to play.

Guess I'm  not sure why negativity is frowned upon. Fact is this is a bolts to apples comparison anyway, and YOU simply don't like that anyone is dissing your game of the day.

WOW will laugh all the way to the bank, as usual, and this thread will die again, as usual, when the hype fails to live up to the expectation.

It's great to be excited, but flies are excited by fresh turds.....does that make random public excitement forum fodder?

....everyone has the next "WOW killer"...neat! Bring it to market after the fanboi threads!

==========A M E N ===========

• DarkogieDarkogie Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Perfection66

Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

Well in asia they have 3.5+ mill subs and they have been adding servers a year after release. This a great sign of a games popularity and longevity i would think. i guess the facts are better than lies

So if 8 million western players join up you will have your WOW killer. Those are the facts.  I played in CB and i dont see it getting 800K western subs let alone 8 million. If you like the game play it, but this "wow killer" hype has been heard before.

Sorry to  jump on you grandpagamer for this post but where are you getting the 8 million paying subs just in the west numbers from? The last I heard WoW was sitting at 7-7.5 milion paying subs worldwide.

Someone else mentioned WoW china. Last I read about the case was that WoW China was like an open beta at the moment. Till the case comes to a resolution, or court rules otherwise, blizzard/netease can't charge anyone that plays on the china servers. So WoW, for god knows how long, is basicaly a F2P game in china at the moment.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

Since you have insisted that you don't intend to ever even play Aion, why are you still on these forums? You're negativity isn't serving any purpose whatsoever. If you don't like the game, fine. We've read that. Several times. Please, if you must hang around this site, go find a game you DO like. And if you can't find any, find some other way to spend your time. Either way, there is no logical reason for us to see another post from you in Aion's forums.

Is it ok if i read about the new "wow killer" or am i forbidden from that as well?

You are more than welcome to read, post and do whatever you like. I'm just saying I don't understand why you feel you must be negative. If you don't agree with a post about a game you don't seem to really care that much about, why even reply? I'm not trying to antagonize you, honestly. I just wonder what your motives are.

My statement was not about the game as much as about the idea that because it has the most hits on a website that it is the "wow killer" of legend. How many "wow killers" have you seen in the last couple of years?  I know its hard to believe but this isnt the first "wow killer" and it wont be the last. And as i stated, after it launches, the hype and flame will move on to the next big thing.

No one is calling Aion the "WoW killer" except for the trolls like yourself.

Is that the best you can do? If i dont wet my pants and praise NCSOFT for allowing me to play their game im a troll? Read my posts, ive complimented Aion on some points and my complaint is that it brings nothing new, which it doesnt. Anything Aion does has been done before.

I'm sorry but bad attempts at new ideas are not greater than releasing a game that is solid with a culmination of ideas from other games.

Not to mention the whole PvPvE setting is pretty unique with the way battle dreadgions are set up and the raid bosses throughout the abyss. The skill-chain combat system is also something I really haven't seen in MMO's. I'm sure there are more but that's just off the top of my head. You should also refer to my last post in comment to yours which i'll cut and paste so you can just quote it in case you have debatez:

"Continued negative posting on a game that you aren't going to play and aren't going to contribute to in terms of its community is the issue.

I would say the same thing for myself or anyone else if we were trolling a different game that we had no intentions of playing on release. It obviously isn't down your alley, so please don't try to alter everyone's experiences that actually want to play."

-- And yes, saying that Aion doesn't bring anything to the table is negative and is not an objective perspective.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Darkogie

Well in asia they have 3.5+ mill subs and they have been adding servers a year after release. This a great sign of a games popularity and longevity i would think. i guess the facts are better than lies

So if 8 million western players join up you will have your WOW killer. Those are the facts.  I played in CB and i dont see it getting 800K western subs let alone 8 million. If you like the game play it, but this "wow killer" hype has been heard before.

Sorry to  jump on you grandpagamer for this post but where are you getting the 8 million paying subs just in the west numbers from? The last I heard WoW was sitting at 7-7.5 milion paying subs worldwide.

Someone else mentioned WoW china. Last I read about the case was that WoW China was like an open beta at the moment. Till the case comes to a resolution, or court rules otherwise, blizzard/netease can't charge anyone that plays on the china servers. So WoW, for god knows how long, is basicaly a F2P game in china at the moment.

Ok until china gets back online there are 7 million. So Aion only needs 3-4 million in the west.  I predicted 300K for the west after playing in CB. I still think thats about right. I stand corrcted. :)

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218

You are more than welcome to read, post and do whatever you like. I'm just saying I don't understand why you feel you must be negative. If you don't agree with a post about a game you don't seem to really care that much about, why even reply? I'm not trying to antagonize you, honestly. I just wonder what your motives are.

My statement was not about the game as much as about the idea that because it has the most hits on a website that it is the "wow killer" of legend. How many "wow killers" have you seen in the last couple of years?  I know its hard to believe but this isnt the first "wow killer" and it wont be the last. And as i stated, after it launches, the hype and flame will move on to the next big thing.

Is that the best you can do? If i dont wet my pants and praise NCSOFT for allowing me to play their game im a troll? Read my posts, ive complimented Aion on some points and my complaint is that it brings nothing new, which it doesnt. Anything Aion does has been done before.

WoW doesn't have flighted combat or abyss open world 3 faction PvP warfare.

NEXT.

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by grandpagamer Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

NEXT.

CoH has flight in combat. And one of those factions is AI so it's pretty much the same as DAoC's Darkness Falls.

Aion is nothing special.

NEXT.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

NEXT.

Get back to me with your numbers after Christmas.

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

As much as it's debated, Rifts are a unique idea as well.

And 300k subscriptions.... let's do some math.

300,000 X 15.00 = 4,500,000.00

That's for one month. I'd say a 4.5 million dollar month is pretty good business.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

NEXT.

He wasn't saying what does Aion have that WoW doesn't. He meant of all MMO's.

Originally posted by xaldraxius

NEXT.

CoH has flight in combat. And one of those factions is AI so it's pretty much the same as DAoC's Darkness Falls.

Aion is nothing special.

NEXT.

I know the complaints of aion is it brings nothing really new to MMO's. Thats a fair enough point of veiw and i'd say your right in a way. The same thing was said about another game that came out a couple of years ago. The EQ, AC, DAoC players all said that it brought nothing new to the table, was a clone,  the graphics was for kids, it would fail, it wasn't hardcore, lack of content then the game i'm playing now, ect......That game was World of Warcraft.

NEXT.

Aion is nothing special.

NEXT.

As stated in my previous post of being things off the top of my head

"Not to mention the whole PvPvE setting is pretty unique with the way battle dreadgions are set up and the raid bosses throughout the abyss. The skill-chain combat system is also something I really haven't seen in MMO's."

Don't comment from a biased perspective on a game you aren't going to play please.

NEXT.

Aion is nothing special.

NEXT.

I know the complaints of aion is it brings nothing really new to MMO's. Thats a fair enough point of veiw and i'd say your right in a way. The same thing was said about another game that came out a couple of years ago. The EQ, AC, DAoC players all said that it brought nothing new to the table, was a clone,  the graphics was for kids, it would fail, it wasn't hardcore, lack of content then the game i'm playing now, ect......That game was World of Warcraft.

Another, albeit cringing, QFT moment.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

Ok until china gets back online there are 7 million. So Aion only needs 3-4 million in the west.  I predicted 300K for the west after playing in CB. I still think thats about right. I stand corrcted. :)

I predict anywhere from 300k to 500k at launch myself. I forgot what WoW did in its first couple of months but pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near 3-4 million subs.

"Not to mention the whole PvPvE setting is pretty unique with the way battle dreadgions are set up and the raid bosses throughout the abyss. The skill-chain combat system is also something I really haven't seen in MMO's."
    Don't comment from a biased perspective on a game you aren't going to play please.

First off, what you are describing isn't unique it's simply a reworking, which is fine, it worked for that unnamed game. Of course I didn't play that game either.

Secondly, I hear you and accept your right to voice your opinion, so I must decline to cease posting simply because you don't want to read what I have to say. I can't put it more maturely than that. I don't have to intend to play the game to have an opinion on it, and at this moment I am in the mood to voice said opinion. It's not a real strong opinion. I don't like the game, but I don't hate it. I am merely here to counterbalance the discussion and further the debate.

I exist to be contrary, it's my curse. But unlike many I can be contrary in a perfectly mature and reasonable way, so *shrugs* I'm gonna stick around, thanks.

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222

To break down WOW numbers

5 mil was in china alone.

NA wow = about 2mil give or take some but its around that number.

The only wow killer will be blizzard since they are ignoring the true fanbase and running the game and its lore into the ground, but shit with there insane marketing they always get new players to makeup for who quits aslong as kids want some easy game that any PC can play it will continue to draw players.   If EQ is still kicking 10 years after release id expect wow to last atleast 10 more years.

• SilenttankSilenttank Member Posts: 18

I think that an MMO shouldn't be judged on what it brings to us as new and totally different, but how the game uses these ideas the best and most efficient. WoW didn't have many new ideas but look, it played the best and got the most attention from people. I think Aion also brings good ideas from other MMO's and makes them work well. So when I look for an MMO I really don't care of what they add to it like flying or a new PVP system I care most of how the community thinks the game runs and so far most players think the game runs amazingly and fulfills their needs.

First off, what you are describing isn't unique it's simply a reworking, which is fine, it worked for that unnamed game. Of course I didn't play that game either.

Secondly, I hear you and accept your right to voice your opinion, so I must decline to cease posting simply because you don't want to read what I have to say. I can't put it more maturely than that. I don't have to intend to play the game to have an opinion on it, and at this moment I am in the mood to voice said opinion. It's not a real strong opinion. I don't like the game, but I don't hate it. I am merely here to counterbalance the discussion and further the debate.

I exist to be contrary, it's my curse. But unlike many I can be contrary in a perfectly mature and reasonable way, so *shrugs* I'm gonna stick around, thanks.

Wait, so you can't give me examples for how both of those aren't new? I'm not sure how your opinion about nothing new in Aion is that valid then...What games do they exist in? I'm fine if you prove those wrong, but it seems like you can't. If you do, that's fine. Those are just things I thought of right away too, so I'm sure there are others.

I'm glad that you can be semi-civil in your response by not name-calling and things like that, but I would prefer you at least provide examples for why you disagree with an argument. I gave my examples and you just called them a "re-working". What does that even mean? I'm pretty sure they are new takes on gameplay and combat since they haven't been implemented in MMO's so far in the way they are in Aion.

Given the success of so many other MMOs who have utilized the good ideas brought in by other games, I wouldn't say that the lack of completely new concepts is a sturdy point in labeling a game as bad. It's going to be the application of those concepts that will make or break a game, and there have been games out there with fresh ideas that flopped.

Originally posted by grandpagamer Its the new kid on the block. After release the hype and flame will move onto the next "wow killer" and Aion will just be a memory to all but those who play it.

NEXT.

This is what I responded to. I pointed out examples of gameplay elements in other games that resembled those features.

In no way have I said that this game was going to fail or even do badly because it's nothing new.

You have to quit reading more into it than what it was.

I wouldn't have even responded had it been for that big bold NEXT at the end of his post, like somehow he had provided the ultimate proof of Aion's superiority.

NEXT.

This is what I responded to. I pointed out examples of gameplay elements in other games that resembled those features.

In no way have I said that this game was going to fail or even do badly because it's nothing new.

You have to quit reading more into it than what it was.

I wouldn't have even responded had it been for that big bold NEXT at the end of his post, like somehow he had provided the ultimate proof of Aion's superiority.

Completely understandable, the whole NEXT thing is incredibly annoying.

Originally posted by Markn12

To break down WOW numbers
    5 mil was in china alone.
    NA wow = about 2mil give or take some but its around that number.
    The only wow killer will be blizzard since they are ignoring the true fanbase and running the game and its lore into the ground, but shit with there insane marketing they always get new players to makeup for who quits aslong as kids want some easy game that any PC can play it will continue to draw players.   If EQ is still kicking 10 years after release id expect wow to last atleast 10 more years.

I agree with you Markin12.  Great post.

WoW will never die. It might go the same way Anarchy Online went but with micro transactions. Before anyone jumps down my throat for that....read the link.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=99722

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218

NEXT.

Aion is nothing special.

NEXT.

Rifts.

NEXT.

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

I just can't fathom why people believe a game needs to have 3-4 million subscriptions on release. WoW didn't even manage that, it grew to 11 million in 4-5 years of growth.

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212

Ok, wow some amazingly long posts. Aion definitly has rights to be the most popular atm. It has literally about 20 days till launch. Aion looks promising and very detailed along with being eventful boosting it's poularity as well. It also seems to give pvp players what they want.

Now at some of the other players... WoW had up to 11 million subs at it's peak. China banned it dropping it increasingly. Statistics and people say around 7.5mil subs left. Then you need to divide that number by 1.2. 20% of the current population have a second subsribing account. Maybe less but for the sake of theory 20% works. Thats about 6.25 million accounts. Then you divide that by 1.05, because 5% is about the amount of players who multibox and or own 3 accounts. That's definitly not accurate and even harder to calculate. That drops the amount down to around 5.95 mil subs. Then you divide that number by the amount of players who are gold farmers and account sellers. For sake of arguement lets get rid of the measly 2% of account sellers and just focus with the 3% of gold sellers. So divide 5.95 mil by 1.03. Using a calculator with the previous amount divided by 1.03 equals approximately 5.78 mil subs. Thats fairly decent. What is sad, MapleStory has upwards of about 25million accounts, but we all know what that really means :P. Absolutely nothing. Aion as someone had said has about 3mil in asia alone. Well I guess no one thought about who is actually playing? I would say because of Asia's cultural background dealing with MMOs that maybe, if were lucky, only 1 million of those subs are not being payed to play, are multiboxers, or some other type of person that doesn't count as a true player. Aion proabably has about 500k players planning on the launch. 100k of them actually looks at this forum :P. Popularity isn't a specific driven object. It goes up and down on a lot of factors that are a part of the game and not. Now the fabled WoW killer is fabled folks. WoW could only kill itself, no game will kill it. WoW is on it's path to many of the player types. PvP games are becoming more available, so you loose PvP players. Other open world MMOs are really creating events upon existing content along with new content. Vanilla WoW had some spark, and the lost it from there. The new expansion is their way of making a rememdy. They want to make the new content old content. Will it work? Who knows. By the time it's launched WoW could be dead. I don't see WoW living much longer after these next 2-3 years. A lot of companies are making MMOs and sooner or later one game we'll fulfill the throne as king of MMOs. Is that Aion? Who knows. Is that any other new MMO known about today? Who knows. Games come and go. Some are good some are bad.

Lets hope Aion allows us to have fun and becomes very popular to grow and grow.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by FastTx

I just can't fathom why people believe a game needs to have 3-4 million subscriptions on release. WoW didn't even manage that, it grew to 11 million in 4-5 years of growth.

Agreed. A game having at least 500k at the end of it's anniversary is great. Because it means players like the game and if the advertise they might be able to pull in more and more.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR